Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hehe, I’m having meatballs and pasta for dinner...so I think I’ll need to use all the available fat areas for injecting to have a sugar reading that’s close to normal before bedtime!
@Rose22 linguine for me with salmon, sour cream and dill made by Mr B, saving French fries for the weekend. I'm going to have a go at thigh pricking tonight. Afraid!!

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1 and Rose22

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Tis done, pricked in thigh and it was OK as was linguine. Photo on T1 food thread
Lovely red sky over Oxford

Reactions: Marie 2

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for the much-needed giggle at the adventurous injection sites after spending the evening doing some damage limitation for my church's social media accounts after Day 2 of getting to grips with the New Era in the workplace.

Mind you, if I have to do any more training on how to wash my hands, which seems to have got into every variation of training, relevant or not, there may be an explosion! I would mind less but when we had some training in this some time again, I was the only one who passed the ultraviolet light tests (barring a couple of patches of dry skin which always fail) and who remembered to wash my wrists as well

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A shop doorway on the Reeperbahn...? Don't ask.. Anything goes.. So why not put it to the test & "shoot up.. ;)
Won't ask (family friendly forum and all that) but won't put it to the test either. Reeperbahn is over 3 hours by car, Schiphol almost 2 but pretty sure they won't let me to the runway for an adventurous injection.

So I went for the smaller adventure of injecting in my bum, and I must conclude I might do this more often, despite the hassle of moving dogs and cats to make room and the weird feeling of injecting without seeing the pen :)

Reactions: Japes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Won't ask (family friendly forum and all that) but won't put it to the test either. Reeperbahn is over 3 hours by car, Schiphol almost 2 but pretty sure they won't let me to the runway for an adventurous injection.

So I went for the smaller adventure of injecting in my bum, and I must conclude I might do this more often, despite the hassle of moving dogs and cats to make room and the weird feeling of injecting without seeing the pen :)

Pretty family friendly answer. We were doing this gig nearby at a festival & got put up in a really dodgy hotel?
They didn't even serve breakfast.. :hilarious:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone have a good day im a thighs and bum pricker too painful in stomach

Reactions: hh1

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So I went for the smaller adventure of injecting in my bum, and I must conclude I might do this more often, despite the hassle of moving dogs and cats to make room and the weird feeling of injecting without seeing the pen :)[/QUOTE]

Yay that’s great news that it went well and your converted to using bum area as a site. Even with a bit of animal shuffling around to get some space agree I find it hard twisting and sort of stabbing blindly.
I’d choose Hoorn, love of my life (20+ years together now) is from there. As for Schiphol @urbanracer I was going to make a bad joke about landing strips but won’t as family friendly site. Need keep it classy.
I wasn’t brave enough to try arm yet...maybe as it’s where I’ve always had immunisations? As for calf...not sure why but thought of that makes me feel bit wobbly. Mind you only been seven months for me injecting. (Can’t count 5 years ago when preg with daughter really as stopped once she was born).

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mind you, if I have to do any more training on how to wash my hands, which seems to have got into every variation of training, relevant or not, there may be an explosion!

Oh my gosh, well it sounds like you’ve cracked it, hopefully they’ll stop trying to reiterate it all the time. I think it must be common at the moment, my son returned to school yesterday, and he was exasperated at the number of times they had to wash hands. I’m all for good hygiene, and me being type 1 and my husband was shielding with immune system I’m cautious, but it seemed to be all they did and “hygiene is the number one priority” mantra started to drive him a bit nuts.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all from rather dismal Oxford.
BG bonkers and continues to zoom all over the place. So changes to be made, apart from thigh pricking for basal, I've decided not to inject bolus and basal at the same time but stagger the injecting and see what happens after a week. Then move basal closer to sleep time

Reactions: hh1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sint Maarten is Dutch, so maybe that could work for you?

upload_2020-9-4_8-25-5.png

I must admit our trips to St Martin have always been to the French side, where, in our view, the anchorages are better, where one's passport is stamped as an arrondissement of Paris.

Beautiful part of the world.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Injecting in the bum at the end of the runway would certainly be a novel way to warn the pilot they’d taxied too far. Tum, thighs and arms here, I like to see where I’m placing the needle. Anyone else injected through clothing at work or when travelling? Yes, I know it blunts the needle and introduces aliens but what do you do in a group you don’t know well enough to fiddle faddle with the clothes that are hiding the site?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have injected through clothing, I get lazy. I try not to as I think over time I will get little pin holes in clothes. So I never did when I was wearing favorite/nicer clothing. Now I have a pump so rarely injecting. But when I was with groups and I had clothing I cared about I would visit the bathroom. I have a couple of friends, one in particular that almost faints with needles and if you even say the word blood, she turns white as a ghost.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, more hedge cutting for me today. @SueJB I forgot to mention this yesterday; I split Lantus 50/50 morning and evening and it seems to make no difference whether I do it at the same time as breakfast or a couple of hours later (found this out due to forgetting it and moving the time back as a result).

As far as injecting through clothing's concerned, I used to when needles were longer; now they're so short I prefer not to. @Fairygodmother if I'm with people I don't know and I really can't fumble in my clothes discreetly I simply say that I need to shoot up so if anyone's needle-phobic, look away now. My husband was needle-phobic and in 30 years never saw me do it once, and I've never had a complaint about it. Of course if I was about to inject somewhere I really didn't want to expose publicly, I'd go to the loo :D

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I avoid the loo, too many germs there, so I try to be discreet - a leg under the table, or wearing something that enables me to lift a section to find my tum without causing alarm. Yes, the warning too, especially if I’m on a train (I’ve not been on a train since February) or a bus ( not been on one of those since the first week in March). In the past I’d cheerfully plunge the needle through jeans even, and yes, they were longer then.
I wonder if my choices of darker colours in winter back then was unconsciously influenced by wretched bleeders? Summer clothes could be lighter. I love lighter colours in winter now, there has to be a bit of zing once the leaves have dropped.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, more hedge cutting for me today. @SueJB I forgot to mention this yesterday; I split Lantus 50/50 morning and evening and it seems to make no difference whether I do it at the same time as breakfast or a couple of hours later (found this out due to forgetting it and moving the time back as a result).

As far as injecting through clothing's concerned, I used to when needles were longer; now they're so short I prefer not to. @Fairygodmother if I'm with people I don't know and I really can't fumble in my clothes discreetly I simply say that I need to shoot up so if anyone's needle-phobic, look away now. My husband was needle-phobic and in 30 years never saw me do it once, and I've never had a complaint about it. Of course if I was about to inject somewhere I really didn't want to expose publicly, I'd go to the loo :D
Thanks @hh1, I do split 50/50 Levemir anyway so I'll just give this a go. I've got a feeling I might forget the injection though

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Injecting in the bum at the end of the runway would certainly be a novel way to warn the pilot they’d taxied too far.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Although it would be perfectly doable on @DCUKMod 's St. Maarten's beach, especially when injecting through your bathing suit!
Which brings me to your next point:
Anyone else injected through clothing at work or when travelling?
Not only at work or when traveling, but also home alone on my own couch with only the dogs to see my bare skin. I'm one of those irresponsible idiots who inject through clothing because of being too lazy to fiddle shirt back in trousers afterwards :bag:

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I've read about some study showing it didn't matter. Should you happen to know this study is bogus, please don't tell me, I don't want to know!

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @hh1, I do split 50/50 Levemir anyway so I'll just give this a go. I've got a feeling I might forget the injection though
I had to set an alarm on my phone when I first split the dose otherwise I'd never have remembered. Worked for me - mostly ;)

Reactions: Marie 2