What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So far I had a piece of cheese between running about. Swimming this morning, bg high, so no apple this time. Two hours of rescuing exploded household with the help of cleaning lady. Catching limping cat. It came home limping yesterday but I couldn't find it anymore until early afternoon today. Limping had gotten worse, front leg very swollen.
Poor cat had to be locked in a crate for two hours to prevent it from disappearing again before the vet appointment. Two hours of a stressed and panicky howling cat is very long, and Maartje must have hurt his leg even more in the crate by his panic.
As soon as he got out of the crate at the vet he was his usual relaxed self again, it's clearly the being locked in which makes him panic.

Not a good thing, as ideally he should be in a crate for 6 weeks, it turned out he has broken his front leg. With the panic we decided to let him do what he likes and provide painkillers. Fingers crossed it will more or less heal on its own.

Not a clue what I'll eat, I'll have to raid the kitchen and have a surprise meal, as shopping didn't happen.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh heck @Antje77
Pass on my hug to Maartje.

I’m becoming quite impressed with my keto GF mug breads.
The plain one is OK, and can be tarted up with butter, or dipping oil, or whatever.
The mediterranean one has dried tomato in it, so is off my menu.
But the garlic and rosemary one... ooh, be still my heart! I did a mug roll of it today and ate it smothered in cream cheese to accompany my pulled pork.
And the best bit? Nearly 3 years of finding nearly every non-meat food would upset the guts, Yet this stuff? No problems! None! Oh, I can tell I’ve eaten something different, but no problems, either soon or late after eating. No massive thirst, or carb cravings, or water retention. No swollen hands, feet or gut pain. No itchies.
If this carries on, I will be taking a brief holiday from carnivore to explore the possibilities of carni+this bread.
Now, where was that keto Nutella recipe...? ;)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So far I had a piece of cheese between running about. Swimming this morning, bg high, so no apple this time. Two hours of rescuing exploded household with the help of cleaning lady. Catching limping cat. It came home limping yesterday but I couldn't find it anymore until early afternoon today. Limping had gotten worse, front leg very swollen.
Poor cat had to be locked in a crate for two hours to prevent it from disappearing again before the vet appointment. Two hours of a stressed and panicky howling cat is very long, and Maartje must have hurt his leg even more in the crate by his panic.
As soon as he got out of the crate at the vet he was his usual relaxed self again, it's clearly the being locked in which makes him panic.

Not a good thing, as ideally he should be in a crate for 6 weeks, it turned out he has broken his front leg. With the panic we decided to let him do what he likes and provide painkillers. Fingers crossed it will more or less heal on its own.

Not a clue what I'll eat, I'll have to raid the kitchen and have a surprise meal, as shopping didn't happen.

Oh poor Maartje and poor you *hug* its so horrible when our furry friends are in pain. I hope the painkillers work well for him. x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all what a lovely day - managed to get out to a nearby market town and felt like summer was back. Started day with early am swim and I’m booked for tomorrow too - I’m hoping to do all 5 days this week to work out which are the least busy days.
Picnic lunch while out - sat on a log in a lovely little wood that was the site of a monastery but all that remains are old graves and a few standing stones. Had piece of left over frittata from dinner yesterday.
Mid pm Aldi nut and dark choc bar with flask of coffee
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads followed by sf jelly, garden raspberries and spoon of yoghurt and cream.
Busy caring day is the plan for tomorrow but hopefully swim first thing will help - I’m finding it’s very good for my energy levels during the day as well as giving a better mood. My bgs go very high straight after swimming and shower despite starting with low fbg and no food but fall rapidly back to fbg levels or below after an hour or so. Funny thing our bgs!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - Well done on the Morrison's delivery! Asda are still sending strange subs each week. Are you mainly working from home? Quite a few of my neighbours are and are dreading being told they have to go back to work in an office.
I have been working pretty much exclusively from home, but as of this week am back in a small office, much to my relief. Haven’t been doing well at home at all.
Meanwhile the SpO2 is up in a more normal range, go figure!
Hope you continue to improve. Doesn’t sound fun.
But the garlic and rosemary one... ooh, be still my heart! I did a mug roll of it today and ate it smothered in cream cheese to accompany my pulled pork.
Now I’m tempted. They have some 2.8g/carb per roll mixes which look very good.
Catching limping cat. It came home limping yesterday but I couldn't find it anymore until early afternoon today. Limping had gotten worse, front leg very swollen.
Hugs to kittie and you
My bgs go very high straight after swimming and shower
Swimming always drops me very low. My pool is still closed.

Gorgeous sunny day and despite spending most of the day in an air conditioned room, the short periods of time out in the sun (and the hot train home) were enough to transfer copious amounts of dye from a new deep blue t-shirt to equally new, previously white under garments!

Ate rather a lot too - many tempting things in my path.

Breakfast was Greek yoghurt and salted almonds.
Lunch was 3 chicken thighs from the hot counter at Tesco near work. 40p each. Had a marinade which had ‘something’ in it judging by the post meal rise (well under 2 but wouldn’t normally expect a blip from chicken). Quite good though. More yoghurt.
Succumbed to a 35g bar of 70% chocolate at the station on the way home.
Dinner was mince fried with 2 eggs and a bit of onion.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been working pretty much exclusively from home, but as of this week am back in a small office, much to my relief. Haven’t been doing well at home at all.

Hope you continue to improve. Doesn’t sound fun.

Now I’m tempted. They have some 2.8g/carb per roll mixes which look very good.

Hugs to kittie and you

Swimming always drops me very low. My pool is still closed.

Gorgeous sunny day and despite spending most of the day in an air conditioned room, the short periods of time out in the sun (and the hot train home) were enough to transfer copious amounts of dye from a new deep blue t-shirt to equally new, previously white under garments!

Ate rather a lot too - many tempting things in my path.

Breakfast was Greek yoghurt and salted almonds.
Lunch was 3 chicken thighs from the hot counter at Tesco near work. 40p each. Had a marinade which had ‘something’ in it judging by the post meal rise (well under 2 but wouldn’t normally expect a blip from chicken). Quite good though. More yoghurt.
Succumbed to a 35g bar of 70% chocolate at the station on the way home.
Dinner was mince fried with 2 eggs and a bit of onion.

Do you have a kitchen at work, Goonergal? If so, could you have a small airfryer to do your own chickie bits?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on my own for a few days, whilst MrB is down south, playing in an annual golf competition. On that basis, I am feeding myself.

Last night I had air fried lamb ribs, which were so delicious I decided to have the rest of my stash tonight. This evening I pretty much did these https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops . Started in the airfryer, then finished off on the BBQ. Quite stunning, even if I say so myself, although the fast rendering fat created a bit of a show as the flames got going.

No harm done

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh poor Maartje and poor you *hug* its so horrible when our furry friends are in pain. I hope the painkillers work well for him. x
Thank you!
For starters, I hope I'll be able to get him to take the painkillers. Luckily it's a fluid which can be mixed with extra yummy food, there is no way I can get this cat to take tablets for more than two days in a row, he'll just disappear.
So my hope is I will be able to find him once a day, and he'll like the extra yummy food. I don't know where he sleeps or where he is most of the day so this might prove to be problematic.

Dinner was this strange plate: Cheese tosti (low carb bread) with two rashers of bacon, a hybrid between dipping sauce and egg-mayo, seemed like a good idea while having a nasty hypo preparing my meal. Had a piece of my new licorice while cooking so bg had risen a bit before eating, and without a hypo I still thought the egg-mayo/dipping sauce was a good idea so I might make it more often. Dogs agreed :)
Some olives and cold sausage to go with it, although most of the sausage went to the dogs and cats (except for Maartje who wasn't around).

119647409_10221812630099287_7232498896971699936_o.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote Can you use flaxmeal straightforward the freezer?
@Antje77 poor Maartje, and poor you. What about getting a bigger dog sized crate ?

Had a massive migrainne last night. No idea why. Thanks to this forum and tracking foods i see I last had one 29th June. Totally different foods. It didn't clear with either meds or sleep so spent most of today in a dark room.
Bg was mid 5 at bedtime and 5.8 at 10 am. So don't think its sugar related. None of my other triggers in place either

Was very hungry earlier on so
Late breakfast 2 scrambed eggs
Late lunch seedcrackers with edamame ginger dip and an avocado. Berry bake
Late dinner small piece of corned beef crust quiche followed by blueberries raspberries and 2 strawberries with extra thick double cream
Edited for typs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a kitchen at work, Goonergal? If so, could you have a small airfryer to do your own chickie bits?

Funny, I’ve been wondering about that. There is a kitchen, but not sure if I’d be allowed to add to it - we’re in someone else’s building (an educational establishment). I’ll make enquiries as it’d be fab.

Reactions: Chook

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 oh the poor kitty! Six weeks in a crate and he wouldn't be able to walk anyway, so I certainly agree with your decision. Would keeping him inside for several weeks be an option? I might do that if it were one of mine, just to keep him from doing something stupid. Although mine are 16 and at this point would need help up and down!
@Brunneria wow what a revelation with the mug bread!
@Goonergal I read "mince fried" as "fried mice"......
@MrsA2 I do-- I actually store a jar of it in the refrigerator, but if that's empty then what I use is frozen. I buy Bob's Red Mill, and freezing doesn't change it or clump it up or anything. I must thaw very quickly-- it's tiny dry flakes, not really grains. I send a moment of dark silence for your poor head...are you improved?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 9.7. Had to take a full dose of Co-codamol with a glass of water and then fell asleep again. Woke up with a start and remembered that today is bin day and I hadn't put them out yet! It'd be another 2 weeks before the next bin day, so we can't afford to miss it. I always put the bins out and won't let Neil do it - while I still can, I will do it myself. I did get them out in time.

Breakfast - thin slices of cold roast duck with some Atkins crackers.

Lunch - none.

Dinner - didn't happen, but there is still some bouillabaise in the fridge, so it might happen yet.

Em came in again from school to "help" with the prep for tomorrow's tea party. She made sausage rolls (frozen puff pastry). Rolled the pastry out a bit too thick so the mini sausage rolls are a bit solid looking. She also made some for her dolls with the left overs. Then it was back into "craft-project" time, to make a cardboard doll. I've been busy since she went home making cupcakes and some stock syrup to glaze strawberries and to make lemonade tomorrow. I think I have done all that I usefully can this evening so now it's all about clearing up.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 poor Maartje, and poor you. What about getting a bigger dog sized crate ?
Would keeping him inside for several weeks be an option? I might do that if it were one of mine, just to keep him from doing something stupid.
He goes pretty much crazy when I try to lock him in the living room, miowing and scratching the door and hurting his leg, so I don't think a dog crate would work.
Keeping him inside would be a good thing. Except for the other two cats and two (and occasionally more) dogs who are all used to being able to go out in the garden day and night. I think I'd go crazy being the doorkeeper, and Maartje would be sneaking out with one of the others within two days anyway.
Besides, he jumps on furniture and walks stairs inside as well. I think we can only hope for the best!

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Catching limping cat. It came home limping yesterday but I couldn't find it anymore until early afternoon today. Limping had gotten worse, front leg very swollen.

We gave up on the idea of keeping our cat confined - he was a big, strong farm cat - very well trained but hated being put into any kind of container to travel. Instead, we taught him to walk on a lead - got some funny looks, but it worked well. He could break out of any cage or box - and did! At the same time protesting very vocally and constantly until he was free, when he would curl up nearby and go to sleep. He and his companion cat would also go to bed when told to.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 6.9 FBG was also 6.9 - yay Corrie episodes back to normal. @zauberflote your ginger cookies look so good I can almost taste them! @Chook - is your weird morning figures not linked to you feeling unwell? I certainly find when I've been ill it's the mornings that are out of kilter. @Annb - I'll be so glad when your rests are done on Thursday. I've been feeling nervous for you for days. Fingers crossed.
B. TAG
L. Couple of scrambled eggs and 4 rashers of crispy streaky bacon.
D. The remains of my butcher's GF haggis with veggie chips. Once again my BGs didn't move. Later a scoop of chia pudding with raspberries.

Anyone watching Des? I have to say David Tennant bears a remarkable resemblance to Dennis Neilson. Good acting in it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @maglil55, for your kind thoughts. I'm keeping a bit too busy just now to worry about what will happen on Thursday. If there's anything to worry about, I'll wait until I hear about it to start worrying. I don't think I 'll panic even it it is bad news - just get depressed, no doubt. Can't actually think that it will be anything more than, maybe, an ulcer, or something like that.

At least I am getting checked. DIL's toe healed with a second antibiotic but she has now found a lump in her breast and can only get a telephone appointment about that! No 2 son wondered if the Dr has a camera on his phone. Eldest granddaughter has developed a problem with her pregnancy which, apparently, requires total bed rest and a C section at about 34 weeks. She was discharged from the WI hospital yesterday (at 33 weeks) and told to come back in 4 weeks, when she will be sent away to the mainland because there are no facilities locally to support the baby. Now, those 2 worry me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@zauberflote Can you use flaxmeal straightforward the freezer?

Had a massive migrainne last night. No idea why. Thanks to this forum and tracking foods i see I last had one 29th June. Totally different foods. It didn't clear with either meds or sleep so spent most of today in a dark room.
Bg was mid 5 at bedtime and 5.8 at 10 am. So don't think its sugar related. None of my other triggers in place either

Was very hungry earlier on so
Late breakfast 2 scrambed eggs
Late lunch seedcrackers with edamame ginger dip and an avocado. Berry bake
Late dinner small piece of corned beef crust quiche followed by blueberries raspberries and 2 strawberries with extra thick double cream
Edited for typs

So sorry to hear of your migraine. They are awful things. I hope it has gone by now. Glad to say I grew out of them when I reached the menopause. My brother used to have them even worse than me but he also grew out of them at around 60. Perhaps there's hope that yours will reduce in time.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Monday bed 6.9 FBG was also 6.9 - yay Corrie episodes back to normal. @zauberflote your ginger cookies look so good I can almost taste them! @Chook - is your weird morning figures not linked to you feeling unwell? I certainly find when I've been ill it's the mornings that are out of kilter. @Annb - I'll be so glad when your rests are done on Thursday. I've been feeling nervous for you for days. Fingers crossed.
B. TAG
L. Couple of scrambled eggs and 4 rashers of crispy streaky bacon.
D. The remains of my butcher's GF haggis with veggie chips. Once again my BGs didn't move. Later a scoop of chia pudding with raspberries.

Anyone watching Des? I have to say David Tennant bears a remarkable resemblance to Dennis Neilson. Good acting in it.

I was hoping it was something straightforward like that but its been high all day - 14.3 this evening.

I'm recording Des but I saw the pictures of David Tennant playing the part and I agree that he does look a lot like Nilson.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear of your migraine. They are awful things. I hope it has gone by now. Glad to say I grew out of them when I reached the menopause. My brother used to have them even worse than me but he also grew out of them at around 60. Perhaps there's hope that yours will reduce in time.
@Annb Sadly all past all that now. Think migrianes are like diabetes, you just think you've got under control when it all changes again:banghead:
Sorry about your DIL and your daughter. Remember the meek and quiet get nothing these days so don't hesitate to push long and hard at medics if needed.
Good luck for Thursday

Reactions: maglil55