What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

Bit under the weather yesterday and didn’t get round to posting.

@Mauriac DGF is Deliciously Guilt Free, a small keto baking business. A couple of us met them at the Real Food Rocks festival last summer, sampled their baked goods and spread the word. Lovely people. https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/

OMAD as wasn’t hungry most of the day. Dinner of chicken wings coated in chilli oil and salt and air fried. Dessert inspired by a well known low carb dr on Twitter posting a pic of something she’d prepared for her grandchildren - hers was cream whipped with cocoa with strawberries on top. Mine was a ‘base’ of cream cheese topped with cream whipped with cocoa and a touch of erythritol for an instant chocolate cheesecake. I may just have eaten the leftovers for breakfast :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mauriac I used to get my dad the jellies too, he wasn't really a sweets person but he liked those - they were far too sweet for me though even before I had the big D.

@DJC3 before I had the fulfil bar I was 4.7 - 2 hours after I had gone up to 6.9 so it possibly did affect me but not really sure as I only had chicken salad for dinner but the other carbs I had with the meal was large dollop of coleslaw, a lot of semi skimmed milk in my tea (baby tea) and also 2 chicken drumsticks I had picked up from the cooked chicken counter in tesco's which were done in a barbeque sauce which I hadn't realised at the time so probably the sauce was highish in carbs too. I picked them up as I was really hungry by this point and I also had the milk as I was beginning to feel I needed something at this point, not just salad. It would have been better had I had it on its own to get an accurate reading - so I had gone up just over 2 - next time I will only have half and test again and I don't think it will have that much of an effect and it certainly felt like a treat - it was lovely and the caramel just melted in my mouth. Big Congratulations on the house sale bet you are glad - happy days!:happy:

@maglil55 The low carb bread is defo worth trying - I am expecting another delivery middle of next week - you only get 12 slices in each loaf - I usually put 2/3 slices in small bags in my freezer and just slip them in between other stuff where there is room so they don't take up a large area of the freezer. I am already thinking about what I will have on sandwiches next week! :)

Hello and welcome @Sarbak

@Chook Ferro roche was my favourite before the big D :hungry: Also, can I please borrow Mr C - I have always wanted my own chef/cook - cheesecake sounds lovely - can you ask him for the recipe for me please?

Brunch - greek yoghurt with flaxseed and goji berries.

Dinner out - mushrooms stuffed with pate (didn't eat the batter), followed by surf n turf (steak with prawns and peppercorn sauce on top) 2 scampi & tartare sauce with a large salad and cheese and coleslaw. Large glass of diet coke. SF jelly when back in house.

Managed 2 walks today - again nice fresh autumn day even nicer when sun was out - probably totalled just under 2 hours so managed 10,000 steps and the rest... no swimmers at the loch - probably getting a bit chilly for them now and got home just before darkness fell at 7.30pm. Got my candles on and just chilling tonight.
I don't believe we have been properly introduced young lady. Hello, I'm the village crazy person - you need to watch a great deal of Moana to get that reference. One really needs a food fairy rather than a personal chef. I installed one, via a relatively painless ceremony, probably way back around October 1984. Still works a treat although if it ever referred to me as Hubby or Mr P it would be recycled on the spot.:angelic: To keep on topic: I will eat some Chocologic - for taste and fibre ; drink plenty of 800 mls mugs of Assam tea with almond milk; 1 800 mls mug of coffee perhaps with cream but definitely with sugar free caramel syrup; I will try a celeriac and swede version of cheese and potato pie (thanks @Chook) perhaps with either roasted veggies or salad. I really do need to avoid being sucked into "going native" through this thread. A skip full of ingredients for truly horrendous substances, high % chocolate and DGF poo shows - I tested them and never want a trace on my palate again (eryth- I can't even bear to type the word) - should have taught me that. As with all warm/hot food I will eat more in hope than expectation of pleasure. Thanks for the welcome back - it was World Leading 'cos everything is these days.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 absolutley thrilled that you’ve moving in right direction now in house sale - get the fizz chilled ready for completion!
@ianpspurs delighted to see you on the thread - you’ve been missed
Unfortunately missed my usual stress busting swim this morning as had to deal with an issue very early am - ie middle of night - autistic eldest son had plumbing emergency and couldn’t cope so we raced over - we sorted it eventually with emergency plumbers skills and back home early afternoon. I’m just relieved we were nearby and not up at mums!
Late lunch on return a toasted chaffle and two fried eggs
Afterwards half a DGF millionaires shortbread ( @DJC3 yup I chop in half before freezing they are almost twice the size of their other products! They are releasing new products this evening including one with mint icing so feel another order coming on!)
Dinner sea bass in lemon butter with celeriac chips and green beans with dry white wine mixed with soda water followed by DGF gingerbread with yoghurt.
Don’t swim at weekends but planning some resistance training if feeling ok in am. Hoping to get a weeksswims in next week. Should have had flu vaccination today was booked for 12 but had to rebook for next week as otherwise occupied!
Edit just ordered from DGF including exciting new ones choc and mint and also coffee and walnut! @DJC3

Coffee and walnut!! My all time favourite. Thanks for the heads up. I try not to read their emails as I always end up buying more.
Thanks also for the house congrats. We bought champagne yesterday in anticipation of completion then felt too excited to wait so drank it all last night! Will just have to get more for next week.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for the house exchange congrats. I am thoroughly enjoying going through all the utility companies. Insurances etc to cancel bills. Council tax in particular was a real killer as we still had to pay full council tax on and empty house but were not entitled to any services.
@Chook so sorry to hear about your friend’s diagnosis. I remember the tragedy of Roy Castle, a non smoker, also having lung cancer.
@ianpspurs good luck with the new car. Daughter had a Kia Sportage and loved it until the engine blew up. They said it was just a fluke and couldn’t understand why. All her cars conk out on her though.
@maglil55 yes I saw GBBO and loved it, I think Matt Lucas is a good addition and thought his Boris impression at the beginning was very funny. I understand they got a load of complaints about it though!
MrsT123 it would be a good idea to try the Fulfil bar again. I find some polyols seem to affect me. I can’t eat the Carb Killer bars without a scarily high spike but they claim only around 2g carbs per bar. I know @Rachox has them without any effect. Just shows we all just have to do what suits us.
@Goonergal sorry you’ve been feeling off colour. Hope the instant cheesecake helped perk you up. I may be trying that!
On to food yesterday
Black coffee in the morning.
Lunch 1 tuna muffin melt
Dinner was air fried duck breast with a version of @Antje77 ‘s sprout&blue cheese. I shredded the sprouts and sautéed with walnuts then crumbled some blue cheese through it. You are right Antje77 it’s a great combo. Also made a blackberry coulis ( just stewed sieved blackberries) which went v well with the duck.
Opened the champagne to celebrate and drank way too much. Probably not the best idea the night before boot camp!
IMG_3828.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had the most delicious air fried lamb shoulder. Rubbed it with olive oil, paprika, pink salt and fresh rosemary and left to marinate for a while before cooking for a couple of hours. Top lovely and crispy and meat juicy - crispy bits from the drip tray fab.

5157E73C-E9A4-400A-9005-4042DB3BD1C4.jpeg
41C62D50-D3DA-482D-9786-B91E370AB985.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Two day update.
Breakfast yesterday and today HiLo toast, lots butter, lots tea. My HiLo toast is soon coming to an end because I cant get it on my C&C anymore! I wish they would sell it on Amazon. Need to find a replacement, am going to try making the King Keto bread, after that look into breadmakers. Might get friend to knock up recipe in hers before investing, note to self!
Lunch yesterday and today was Waldorf salad with blue cheese yesterday and sliced ham today.
Supper yesterday was lemon sole and broccoli, tonight will be h/m chicken curry & cauli rice.

I remember Clarnico Iced Caramels. They were very large, very hard and very bad for your teeth! Anyone remember Scots Clan by Mackintosh? Dark chocolate coated toffees in brown papers and milk chocolate ones in red. Quarter of a pound weighed out of the jar you never knew what ratio you would get.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum have you ever tried skinny bread? - do remember the yeast though:angelic: I just had 2 slices toasted because I was hungry by 3.00 pm. @DJC3 , the duck breast looks good and even I am ok with it air fried - no idea where ours is since the move. Don't think we have needed it in nearly 8 months. Sorry about daughter’s Sportage. I think we have arranged things so we get another one in those circs (give it back in 3 years anyhow). - I haven't driven it I intend to use the ‘04 Range Rover for all the day to day or dirty stuff - tip, dogs, grandchildren, pulling up trees, ploughed fields.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal sorry you felt rocky yesterday-- hope things are getting better!
@ianpspurs oh yes I am definitely glad you're back! I finally looked up Chocologic "alimentary fibre"?? Looks kinda like laxatives to me but glad you like it! I swear by my wilted spinach, generous amounts of flax meal made into @dunelm 's crisps, and pecans. I am still having much the same foods over and over and over, because I enjoy them. Seems like this is part of a discussion from a good while ago being the food fairy around here, I will cook hot meals in cold weather for MrZF (he is not here to defend himself against that, and anyway my career has made me more in the public eye than his does him!) and if there is something in it for me, all the better. But usually there's not. I do miss "all I can eat" winter squash stew, and cabbage borscht, but only in the winter. Don't bother going native again. Eat what works! I am overwhelmed at the variety of foods here that look and sound so good and they are mostly based on meats I don't eat, and usually take prep time I don't yet have the patience for. But boy are they nice to contemplate!
Saturday fudz map:
Bfast, just finishing up, avocado, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, ~1/4 square 90% Lindt and we'll see if it's time to have that much yet by tomorrow morning!, flax crisps/dilute soy
Lunch maybe none?
Supper definitely spinach/hm dressing, cherry tomatoes, flax crisps/dilute soymilk. Beyond that is so far a mystery. I told MrZF I might make him a big ol' macaroni and cheese, but then went and used most of the cheddar grated on his rice last night (one of his favorites....) so am stumped.
Rediscovered my jar of flaked coconut, been around at least a year and still good. Had some for a snack last night and that kept me from raiding the cookie jar (again). So... I invented the concept of coconut pecan macaroons, looked for a recipe, and found one. Maybe will try that while watching the grandbaby here this noontime.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had the most delicious air fried lamb shoulder. Rubbed it with olive oil, paprika, pink salt and fresh rosemary and left to marinate for a while before cooking for a couple of hours. Top lovely and crispy and meat juicy - crispy bits from the drip tray fab.

View attachment 44283 View attachment 44284

Looks fab I bet it smelled wonderful while it was cooking too.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Today’s food was coffee as usual this morning, then was meant to be bacon sandwiches all round after boot camp. I underestimated the amount of mouths to feed and amount of bacon needed so my sandwich ( made with Keeto bread) had just 1 lonely rasher. I added a fried egg and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Mid aft 1 Baby bell and around 15g 100% dark chocolate with cups of tea
Dinner Sea bass with lemon butter and a rocket and avocado salad. A glass of dry white wine and I’ll probably have a DGF ginger cake with more tea in a few minutes.
@PenguinMum good idea to check the new bread mix in your friend’s bread maker. I had one of those a few years ago and loved it. Never tried LC bread in those days though. Such a shame about the HiLo bread.
@ianpspurs Ive a feeling you are never going to let me forget the yeast sachet I chucked out of the Skinny bread mix! The airfryer was perfect for duck breast - I even ate the skin and I have never really liked the skin on any meat/ fish/ poultry.
@zauberflote have fun with your grand baby and please share if you figure out a good recipe for coconut pecan macaroons - right up my street.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

Bit under the weather yesterday and didn’t get round to posting.

@Mauriac DGF is Deliciously Guilt Free, a small keto baking business. A couple of us met them at the Real Food Rocks festival last summer, sampled their baked goods and spread the word. Lovely people. https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/

OMAD as wasn’t hungry most of the day. Dinner of chicken wings coated in chilli oil and salt and air fried. Dessert inspired by a well known low carb dr on Twitter posting a pic of something she’d prepared for her grandchildren - hers was cream whipped with cocoa with strawberries on top. Mine was a ‘base’ of cream cheese topped with cream whipped with cocoa and a touch of erythritol for an instant chocolate cheesecake. I may just have eaten the leftovers for breakfast :D
Thanks. I just had a quick look at their website and see that they quote 'effective carbs' which they define as carbs less polyols. Is that a reasonable thing to do - I don't know much about polyols? I did look them up and saw that can cause gut issues (bloating, gas, diarrhoea etc.) Has anyone found that with their products (perhaps the amount consumed at any one time is too small)?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I just had a quick look at their website and see that they quote 'effective carbs' which they define as carbs less polyols. Is that a reasonable thing to do - I don't know much about polyols? I did look them up and saw that can cause gut issues (bloating, gas, diarrhoea etc.) Has anyone found that with their products (perhaps the amount consumed at any one time is too small)?

It depends on the individual and on which polyol. It is ‘standard’ practice to subtract them from the carb count. DGF use erythritol which I find does not impact BG. I tend to avoid things like malitol (expensive laxative) and some of the other more synthetic sweeteners which also raise my blood sugars.

There’s a guide to sweeteners somewhere. Will try and find it.

Edit - had book marked this: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners and there’s this from dietdoctor.com https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners

21A0A206-D878-44EE-9836-9E1038C5F51C.jpeg

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely being affected by the change of seasons here. 2 of us have head colds and can't get warm. (Worrying infection wise as we've been socially distancing)
Also lunches need to move from salads to something warm so hubby (yes @ianpspurs he has that title until he earn the right to something trendier) bought 2 supermarket soups that we used to enjoy thinking them healthy. The lentil one was way above my carb limit so reheated the squash one with added water to make it lower carb. But it just didn't taste right , very synthetic, so kept adding soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and even tabasco until it was just about OK.

Didn't find it satisfying , and needing comfort food, made a single serving of a chocolate lava mug cake using stevia. Was ok and very filling, will probably share it when I make it again.

Was planning a fat head pizza for tonight but not needing anything right now so will probably be omad today.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely being affected by the change of seasons here. 2 of us have head colds and can't get warm. (Worrying infection wise as we've been socially distancing)
Also lunches need to move from salads to something warm so hubby (yes @ianpspurs he has that title until he earn the right to something trendier) bought 2 supermarket soups that we used to enjoy thinking them healthy. The lentil one was way above my carb limit so reheated the squash one with added water to make it lower carb. But it just didn't taste right , very synthetic, so kept adding soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and even tabasco until it was just about OK.

Didn't find it satisfying , and needing comfort food, made a single serving of a chocolate lava mug cake using stevia. Was ok and very filling, will probably share it when I make it again.

Was planning a fat head pizza for tonight but not needing anything right now so will probably be omad today.
Hug for the cold and mug cake - things must be really bad to drive a person to that. Your husband must be amazingly self controlled or saintly. Please don't tell me you refer to him as OH or eat Lo dough

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They use erythritol which I find has no impact on my bgs at all. It seems to be one of the best regarded sweeteners for us diabetic bunch. I know that however a few people notice a cooling taste when products use erythritol, but me - and my OH- are in the lucky ones group it just tastes like sugar sweetness to us hence they’ve become a regular pudding. You won’t know probs till you try! I def have no gut issues with erythritol but have had with other sweetners such as xylitol ( xylitol is also dangerous to pets)
DGF also use quality ingredients in general such as butter, Lindt chocolate and ground almonds etc. They also run a low carb group which has some great podcasts eg from dr David unwin, Dr Malhotra and our very own famous @Goonergal !

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for the cold and mug cake - things must be really bad to drive a person to that. Your husband must be amazingly self controlled or saintly. Please don't tell me you refer to him OH or eat Lo dough
@ianpspurs He is too saintly! Drives me up the wall!!!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been determined not to put on heating but have resorted to three layers - t shirt, jumper and now a hoodie!
Made another batch of LC seeded crackers today - I love them so they have been big part of my intake today!
Lunch two boiled eggs with LC seeded crackers and afterwards 25g of 100% montezumas with orange oil with coffee
Dinner hm chicken curry with more crackers and two gin and sodas pudding DGF chocolate and raspberry brownie with a few garden raspberries and spoon of yoghurt and cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our heating kicked in automatically yesterday, so I went round sorting the door curtains. Hey ho. The year turns.

B: forgot til someone mentioned corned beef, at which point I bustled into the kitchen and made the corned beef cheesy eggy thing. First time for ages.
L: not necessary
D: made chicken goujons in lodough breadcrumbs, served with sour cream with wasabi.

the muttlets had a clip yesterday at the groomer. They are not impressed with the loss of their warm underwear! They are very much into snuggling at the moment. And popping outside for their necessaries seems rather traumatic (to the girls). No1 is made of sterner stuff!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Evening all.

@zauberflote have fun with your grand baby and please share if you figure out a good recipe for coconut pecan macaroons - right up my street.

I'll forget if I wait, so just telling you it's on my CMT. Didn't make them yet, baby come and gone lol. Hopefully later. Still Have to drop by Lowe's (big box hardware/construction/appliance/garden/ tractor mowers etc/seasonal sundries store) for 120' of orange outdoors mini-lights. No trick or treating door to door so I am going to set up our pop-up white nylon gazebo at the end of the driveway with pre-bagged candy on a table, interior of gazebo illuminated with orange, and sit out on the porch.
So, with Lowe's trip, may not bake