What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Staying away from home again, so food somewhat out of my Control.

yesterday (driving down)
B: lowcarb cheesecake (clearing the fridge)
L: keto mug bread, cheese and butter with a smear of mango chutney (sarnies!!! Real cheese sarnies!!! V exciting!!!)
D: belly pork
s: Lindt

Today:
B: goatsmilk yog
S: Lindt
D: volunteered to cook and ended up with diced chicken thighs, stir fried in garlic and onion, with a splash of red wine and a lump of pate stirred in to make a rich sauce. It was well received, so should be able to do it again sometime.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A piece of the egg liqueur cake.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and smoked goose breast. A serving of the boeuf bourgignon.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing with shredded gouda and about 100g of lamb cooked sous vide and then fried. Another piece of the egg liqueur cake. Some dry red wine.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@annabell1 don't feel badly about the foods!! We did the same for Mom and before her, MIL. And they would not eat unless we did.
@Annb hurray the better BG! Sorry about your tomato spread... So sympathetic with your tech woes! I hope you can get help with all your old computers-- I haven't worked with windows in about 10 years-- bought a Chromebook and haven't looked back. It doesn't need me to take care of it; if it has an update, it politely suggests that I restart it to be up to date. Love it-- it's all I need! Thinking of your girls with you!
@Goonergal you are right, the Lindt doesn't divide evenly, but with practise it improves! I do that so the whole square doesn't get gooey from me picking it up repeatedly.
@ianpspurs I know nothing about the Libre but it sounds like you had a batch of lemons! As to the tribute act-- I would think anything with cheese in it would taste mostly of the cheese? Was it fixed as scalloped whatever? And since you've moved, did you know that allergies (local grasses/weeds this time of year) can make you really tired? I have never heard that saying of Bismark's, so thank you for posting it!!
@Mrs T 123 re swimming in the loch-- it all depends on the water temperature!
@Annb breathlessness is what scares me the absolute most. Hugs! Can you get an inhaler? I have chronic asthma, and take two maintenance inhalers, plus have a non-albuterol backup in case of my very first asthma attack. Shortage of flu vaccine-- but the fact you're over 60 should put you at the head of the line, I would hope!
@SlimLizzy tell me about this five green veg soup! Hugs for the stress; I eat under stress too. I hope you can come up with a "least worst scenario".
@Annb again ugh all the failed sticks!
@ianpspurs do you eat your flax seeds whole? And I'm confused about "need" for hot food? Is it a family culture thing? An English thing? Are you actually cold?
@shelley262 I was afraid you'd be scraping the ice off the pool deck.....
Can't believe I made it to the end!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Today, Monday
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, flax crisps/dilute soymilk. Hoped to skip lunch...
Took several "coconut meringues" and a large plastic jug full of a sloshy sample to the lab of the dr who was said to have ordered it. Nobody could find a record of him having ordered it. That part took forever and a half. They kept the jug and promised to find out the story. Got home. Rewarded myself with lunch. Have to get away from this "reward" mindset.
Lunch other half avocado, cottage cheese, another coconut meringue (they WERE supposed to be macaroons...) and a few bits of 90% Lindt while making a showoff pic for @Goonergal
Barre class, hard. Too hard; many easier options were performed.
Supper will be, inevitable spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy. Tin of sardines? Can of tuna? We'll see.
And yesterday I baked before church and grilled for supper. Made the coconut macaroons, only they are quite overdone. I call them meringues, and they're pretty good. Left off the chocolate ganache in the recipe.
Supper included grilled portobello mushrooms with a nice American blue (green actually) cheese melted inside. The burger is MrZF's. I just ate more blue cheese! Very subtle, creamy, with a tiny musty taste, and "grassy". I have never tasted any blue like it.
I am going to scream if three pics of macarenges show up.
IMG_2353.jpg
IMG_2358.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal congrats on your chocolate management - sounds like a good tip from @zauberflote and pleased it works for you.
Swimming first thing - even had to scrape the ice off the car - busy pool and changing rooms today, a bit less stress busting than usual but still enjoyed and I’ve booked for tomorrow so crossing fingers lower numbers.
Lunch two boiled eggs and a few slices of prosciutto and handful of mixed nuts
Mid pm a few pieces of 100% choc
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine with soda water followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with a few garden berries and yoghurt.
@DJC3 ive got a ketocake delivery due tomorrow - looking forward to the coffee and walnut especially. As we both like them - and mum too (off up yet again beginning of next week) - mine don’t stay in freezer for that long. I feel I ought to explore keto baking again but the DGF ones are so yummy and although expensive so are the ingredients - I like the variety too. I mix the boxes when arrive so each box then has all the flavours so don’t get bored of one flavour.

That’s a good idea to mix the boxes before freezing.
I’ve thought the same - I ought to go back to Keto baking but these are so good it seems hardly worth the effort - and there’s no washing up of bowls or utensils afterwards!
Hope the trip up to your mums next week goes well, I’m sure she’ll be delighted with the coffee and walnut cakes too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Woke up hungry so had breakfast for a change - cheesy scrambled eggs on LoDough.
Intended to skip lunch but forgot to tell my tum so it expected food: 3 air fried chicken drumsticks followed by a DGF raspberry bakewell and cream.
Dinner was salad of rocket, coleslaw, olives, cold meat and walnuts. 2glasses dry wine.
Annoyingly I didn’t put the nuts away so had a few more here and there throughout the evening whenever I passed them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Had a ludicrous fbg today after chicken salad with avo no dressing last night. Because my A1c result has come back the same as last time (Jan) 36 I’m really not that bovered! Anyway today had my usual breakfast HiLo toast, butter, lots tea.
Lunch is an unknown but will involve cheese!
Supper will be the remainder of the roast chicken, chorizo, red pepper, tin toms & paprika which is becoming the usual Tuesday house special.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Had a ludicrous fbg today after chicken salad with avo no dressing last night. Because my A1c result has come back the same as last time (Jan) 36 I’m really not that bovered! Anyway today had my usual breakfast HiLo toast, butter, lots tea.
Lunch is an unknown but will involve cheese!
Supper will be the remainder of the roast chicken, chorizo, red pepper, tin toms & paprika which is becoming the usual Tuesday house special.
:woot: for A1c - aren't they rarer than hen's teeth these days? Enjoy Tuesday's plat du jour

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:woot::inpain: for A1c - aren't they rarer than hen's teeth these days? Enjoy Tuesday's plat du jour

I this hacienda, the A1c was done in a sweep up of "stuff not done in a while", whilst bloods required for something else. That made the gap between NHS A1cs 18 months, in my case, although I did have on in March, overseas - because I was doing my thyroid bloods, and the extra was hardly any cost.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I this hacienda, the A1c was done in a sweep up of "stuff not done in a while", whilst bloods required for something else. That made the gap between NHS A1cs 18 months, in my case, although I did have on in March, overseas - because I was doing my thyroid bloods, and the extra was hardly any cost.
The in pain emoticon should have been another woot. My A1c can wait the biggy was 8 months late but all clear.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb breathlessness is what scares me the absolute most. Hugs! Can you get an inhaler? I have chronic asthma, and take two maintenance inhalers, plus have a non-albuterol backup in case of my very first asthma attack. Shortage of flu vaccine-- but the fact you're over 60 should put you at the head of the line, I would hope!

I asked the nurse about flu vaccine. The Health Board doesn't have its supplies in yet, but they don't anticipate any problems with supply. They are likely to start the vaccination programme in October, apparently. She said there are plans afoot to set up special clinics all over the Islands, to avoid loads of people cluttering up the spaces available at the Health Centre. Makes sense. I should be somewhere near the front when they do start up.

FBG 11.2. Only water and one cup of tea so far but am definitely feeling ready for some food. It will be another sausage, bacon and egg breakfast, I expect. Then I have some fish pie mixture to make a fish stew with later on. (I hunted around for an open fish shop yesterday while in town, but they are still all shut, it seems. So the mixture is the best supermarket option.)

I think I am developing a cold - nose bleed this morning indicates that something is going on. Maybe that's why the lungs have been sore the last couple of day. Better today, so that's a good sign.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Yesterday's food was:
one avocado with tabasco
a small amount of cabbage thoran and kidney bean curry (made by my husband, he sent a photo of the food to his Indian colleagues who were very impressed).
I don't feel hungry and feel nauseous a lot as still in the throes of Covid19.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tighter shirts on Christmas day are not a signal to refuse to wear Julie’s present of ultra thin fit shirts for 10 months - causes “issues.” I promised to try the Christmas ones on again. last night:arghh: Tricky little time when I had to admit there was plenty of room - same weight. Cue “frank and open” exchange (not helped by me buying 4 larger ones this week) around how much I eat/just can't /refuse to eat anymore. Autumn and winter cause tension. Woke around 5.15 am.
B= 3 x 800 mls tea with almond milk - one with inulin. Snack 800 mls CWC and Monin SF caramel syrup Lunch Skinny bread chicken and cucumber sandwich and assorted leaves drizzled with OO plus 2 mugs of tea. Finally plucked up the courage to try a toad in the hole made with fibre flour for a taste/mouthfeel test. If it is a keeper. I'll test another time. I have tested sausages and they are ok for me. Roast tomatoes and mushrooms. All will be well as I shall watch football and Julie won’t.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's food was:
one avocado with tabasco
a small amount of cabbage thoran and kidney bean curry (made by my husband, he sent a photo of the food to his Indian colleagues who were very impressed).
I don't feel hungry and feel nauseous a lot as still in the throes of Covid19.

Oh no! Poor you, I hope you are over it soon. I’ve never heard of cabbage thoran, maybe you could post your husband’s photo here?

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast/brunch had my leftover from yesterday the half of my 60 sec keto sandwich I made yesterday and black coffee

Had to buy a new mobile so went up the road as I dropped my old mobile a few days ago and now the screen keeps flicking I felt like I was in a night club with scibe lighting flickering every time I tried to use it lol.... so I guess it was time for a new one so spend all afternoon setting it up.

Was a bit pickerish so had some Cheese and a few crackers.

Dinner was feeling tired luckily had leftovers that my sister gave me of veal schnitzel and German pasta and had made a cabbage salad.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting in advance as today is granddaughter’s 8th birthday so we are going round to celebrate. She wants takeaway pizza for tea so I’ll take a fathead base for me and top with chorizo and mozzarella. DGF chocolate and raspberry brownie instead of birthday cake.
Lunch was a Cobb salad followed by a LC custard with grated 100% chocolate on top
Breakfast just coffee.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast: 2x CWC nut granola, must be getting used to the flavour as didn't seem so sweet this morning.
Lunch, half an avocado mashed with marmite on one slice of pain kapnor, cucumber, lettuce. Ham and Coleslaw, tea.
Afternoon, tea and biscuits.
Dinner, ratatouille, cod fillet, cabbage, carrots. MrSlim had potatoes with his.
Evening: ate one of his icecream cones, it was lucious. A proper comfort food.
Coffee , wine and lemon tea
@zauberflote sorry, but no recipe available for the five green veg soup, because it came in a tetrapak.
@DJC3 and @Bex72 used to make cabbage thoran fairly often. Thanks for reminding me of this alternative way to prepare cabbage. Indian friends commented on my use of cumin seeds, but agreed there are many variations. I had been trying to replicate a thoran eaten in Eranakulum.
*must check available spices before next shopping trip.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked the nurse about flu vaccine. The Health Board doesn't have its supplies in yet, but they don't anticipate any problems with supply. They are likely to start the vaccination programme in October, apparently. She said there are plans afoot to set up special clinics all over the Islands, to avoid loads of people cluttering up the spaces available at the Health Centre. Makes sense. I should be somewhere near the front when they do start up.

FBG 11.2. Only water and one cup of tea so far but am definitely feeling ready for some food. It will be another sausage, bacon and egg breakfast, I expect. Then I have some fish pie mixture to make a fish stew with later on. (I hunted around for an open fish shop yesterday while in town, but they are still all shut, it seems. So the mixture is the best supermarket option.)

I think I am developing a cold - nose bleed this morning indicates that something is going on. Maybe that's why the lungs have been sore the last couple of day. Better today, so that's a good sign.
My surgery said that for those under 65 (which includes me) but who still need to have the flu jab (also includes me) they will be doing them from mid October, the same as where you are.

I hope you continue to feel better and your cold, or whatever it is, fizzles out.

Yesterday started well, but for reasons I won't bore everyone with I ended up having a carb fest, which included at least 7 or 8 liquorice allsorts , 4 shortbread and more than half a bar of Lindt orange intense chocolate. :arghh: I'm not stressing about it though, I've just written off yesterday as 'one of those days'. I'm back on track today, which is the most important thing. Not so long ago, such feasting would have been totally unremarkable, so I am making progress.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A bit of overindulgence here too today, but ended with a fabulous dinner.

Ate far too much Greek yoghurt, too many salted almonds and too much Lindt 90% during the working day, as well as a ‘sharing’ pack of serious pig snacking cheese (it really is moreish).

Dinner was beef brisket dry rubbed with paprika, chilli flakes, pink salt, garlic granules and pepper. Refrigerated overnight and then pressure cooked in the IP with some stock and chopped onions - all ready and waiting once work ended tonight. Delicious. Small piece left for later consumption.

8DCE87DE-D588-4CFA-9AC6-B41011D4CF3B.jpeg