Cholesterol and Statins

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I had my hba1c a couple of weeks ago (dropped from 91 to 45) and the doctors advised that I take statins. Cholesterol levels are 7.3mmol/l, triglyceride 1.21, HDL 1.6, HDL ratio 4.6, LDL 5.2, Serum non HDL 5.7. I'm not keen on starting more meds on top of the 500mg of metformin but don't know enough about my cholesterol readings to decide. Cholesterol levels when diagnosed were 6.6, triglyceride 1.6, HDL 1.1, HDL ratio 6, LDL 4.8, Serum non HDL 5.5. Any help please☺️

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Great job bring your A1c down! IMHO, that’s the priority. Edit, about the lipids, I’d politely decline the statins and say you want time to make adjustments to your diet, that’s just me though.. standard disclaimer stuff lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I had my hba1c a couple of weeks ago (dropped from 91 to 45) and the doctors advised that I take statins. Cholesterol levels are 7.3mmol/l, triglyceride 1.21, HDL 1.6, HDL ratio 4.6, LDL 5.2, Serum non HDL 5.7. I'm not keen on starting more meds on top of the 500mg of metformin but don't know enough about my cholesterol readings to decide. Cholesterol levels when diagnosed were 6.6, triglyceride 1.6, HDL 1.1, HDL ratio 6, LDL 4.8, Serum non HDL 5.5. Any help please☺️
If you are in weight loss mode and eating low carb then I'd wait 6 months to a year before starting to worry about cholesterol as it will likely be all over the place,
Tell the doctor (politely if you must) that no you really don't want them, assuming that you don't and you'd rather wait a while.
In the meantime you could spend a fair amount of time reading and watching some of the info on this thread.

A little something I prepared earlier with lots of help from my forum chums

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Wookie, There is still much to learn about CVD and if high levels for LDL, Triglycerides, serum Cholesterol etc. actually cause problems or are just an attempt by the body to fix problems caused by inflammation (for example).

By many standards, you have actually improved your Lipid figures (presumably because of Low Carb). The LDL especially since we know it can be altered over as little as 3 days ( as per Dave Feldman protocol) , isn't as important as the Triglycerides .
You have improved both your Triglycerides (down) and your HDL (up) and your triglyceride to HDL ratio is now less than 1.0

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since taking Atorvastatin for only a few weeks I have had problems with memory, and also, I realise, vocabulary.
It has improved over the couple of years since stopping the tablets, but I find it distressing to read some of my articles and writing from five or six years back and realize how things have altered. Not remembering writing them is only the start.

Reactions: Wookie1974

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for the info. Don't know why but my doc's seem to want to throw the meds at it all immediately. I know which road I'll be taking - even though some of its hard work, my girlfriend is doing it with me and we're both a lot fitter and healthier. Cheers again!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for the info. Don't know why but my doc's seem to want to throw the meds at it all immediately. I know which road I'll be taking - even though some of its hard work, my girlfriend is doing it with me and we're both a lot fitter and healthier. Cheers again!
They always work on the side of caution to try prevention rather than cure.

Having said that, I take Statins and I haven't noticed any side effects and my doctor is happy with my cholesterol levels.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had cholesterol levels of over 7 when I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 but after lowering my carbs and upping the fats it was 5.3 .All the levels are within the limits and as an ancient and decrepit old woman I am happy with that .It still says refused statins on my GPs notes
Carol

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Doctors do want to throw meds at us as part of their funding from NHS bosses comes from meeting prescribing targets. These targets include statins. Thanks to all the supporting advice on here I can bamboozle GPs and pharmacists with data etc.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Great job bring your A1c down! IMHO, that’s the priority. Edit, about the lipids, I’d politely decline the statins and say you want time to make adjustments to your diet, that’s just me though.. standard disclaimer stuff lol
Ditto! Upon initiation of statins, the adverse were so constant and terrible that life on them for senior advantage, are more likely to succumb to severe illness instead. IMO

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Haven't posted to the forum for a while but this caught my eye.

My own cholesterol levels followed a similar path. 7.5 at diagnosis now down to 5.2 plus or minus and GP offering statins which were summarily rejected.

About statins, please do a search on "statins increase blood sugar". My GP couldn't argue that.

Also search "cholesterol uric acid". Uric acid is a bye product of the food we eat in the form of purines. Diabetics are strongly implicated with gout (70%) - hi uric acid.

My medication is 200mg of allopurinol to treat uric acid levels. For T2D Metformin has gone from 2000mg a day to 500mg a day since severely reducing purine intake - gave up eating meat 3 3/4 years ago.

There is research out there connecting uric acid with insulin resistance.

Good luck.
Tony

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol is higher than yours and I am not taking statins now or ever. The evidence base for a health improvement is very poor, and if I recall correctly research after 2005 has been unable to demonstrate any statin benefit whatsoever (research protocols were tightened around then). I don't want to risk side effects and don't see why I should. Dr Verner Wheelock's book "Healthy Eating - The Big Mistake" is a good introduction to a number of areas including diabetes and statins.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
My reading was 5 so GP pushed for statins saying it was too high. Now after 3 different kinds because they made me feel grim it is down to 4.8. Hardly earth-shattering reduction. I have aching hips and legs which ‘may’ be down to statins. I have read a great deal about this and do find it hard to decide what is best for me. Doctor keeps reminding me my sister and nephew have both had a stroke so I’m higher risk.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What
My reading was 5 so GP pushed for statins saying it was too high. Now after 3 different kinds because they made me feel grim it is down to 4.8. Hardly earth-shattering reduction. I have aching hips and legs which ‘may’ be down to statins. I have read a great deal about this and do find it hard to decide what is best for me. Doctor keeps reminding me my sister and nephew have both had a stroke so I’m higher risk.
What's your full lipid panel breakdown?
Total figure is pretty meaningless.. it's the ratios that can be seen as important.