What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Yes' bars are mostly nuts, whole ones, quite tasty and filling and not too sweet. About 8g a bar from memory.
A handful of plain nuts would be less carbs but these are handy and feel naughtier than they are.
I get them in mulitpacks from Asda or singly from the Co-op

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Breakfast: Heck sausages and scrambled egg
Lunch: Porridge with blueberries, banana and chia seeds
Dinner: Tuna salad

Evening snack: nut butter and little bit of banana on whole grain cracker bread

I know porridge may seem a peculiar choice for some to have for lunch but I adore porridge! I may go fully low carb in the future but for now I’m learning carb counting (only recently diagnosed type 1)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm! I looked at their recipe. If you adjust the ingredients down to their 1 portion size, the amount of mince is miniscule (75g). Either that or I’m greedy - I use more like 250g mince just for me!

I was a bit disappointed at the quantity too but I had some mince left over from burgers earlier this week ( bought enough for 4 but only 3 of us had dinner) I divided into 75g portions to use for this as lunches - it’s hardly worth the hassle!. I went with it though, just out of interest.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Link doesn't work. Please try again

I see @Goonergal sorted it out.

What I will say though is there is never deep frying involved in this hacienda. Too dangerous; especially when the AF does it wonderfully, provided there's some oil on the meat/rind to start with.

Also so easy to switch out flavours - chilli and salt, S&P, Lemon Pepper, BBQ (If that's on your allowables or for the normies)

If I recall, @Brunneria also does it from frozen.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Heck sausages and scrambled egg
Lunch: Porridge with blueberries, banana and chia seeds
Dinner: Tuna salad

Evening snack: nut butter and little bit of banana on whole grain cracker bread

I know porridge may seem a peculiar choice for some to have for lunch but I adore porridge! I may go fully low carb in the future but for now I’m learning carb counting (only recently diagnosed type 1)

No reason at all why you shouldn’t have a so called breakfast meal at lunchtime, or a dinner at breakfast.
It makes very good sense for you to reduce carbs gradually, it’s a lot to get your head round with a new diagnosis. It’ll soon become second nature.

Reactions: zauberflote

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Today breakfast was some rashers of bacon and had some ricotta pancakes frozen so reheated them and black coffee I'm still eating carbs but not so much

Then went to my eye appointment the oncologist was happy my eye vision prescription is same and hasn't changed for 3 years and no mucular or diabetes problems.

Then did a bit of shopping its summer fruit time ... but its the beginning of summer fruits here and I really enjoy fruit and brought some... not best choice but at least not sugary sweets I guess ....

Dinner had left over steak so made a sourdouh baguette bread roll sandwich with the steak some lettuce and tomato and fruit salad with thickened cream.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mixed berries and yoghurt for breakfast. High dose of insulin meant it only pushed BG up by 0.2. That's OK.

I will need lunch, so will be looking at scrambled eggs for that.

Dinner will have to be some more of the beef stew - I only used about a third of what was in the pot. Don't really fancy any more today, but it would be a waste just to send it down for the dogs. Might make some kind of omelette with it to ring the changes a bit.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@OzBlossom how about oat fiber for your fritters? Still cardboard but not sweet.
@DJC3 at least tell us the word that was autocorrected! Ahhhh I see @Antje77 caught it before you edited. That is hilarious! My SIL has a phone that will not let her dictate her husband's common English nickname. His name is Richard, and her phone calls him d***! Exactly like that.
@annabell1 happy for your healthy eyes!
@Annb beef stew omelette-- let us know how you liked it!
Bfast still in progress. Avocado, pecans, boiled egg, then 1 sq Lindt 90% while washing dishes and perking in freezer (not an audit but full of discovery anyway!) for meals that were frozen in pyrex storage but should be foil-wrapped. Rescued 5 covered dishes, one of which is for MrZF tonight. Flax crisps/dilute soy with poor demented cat on lap. He makes an excellent lap warmer. There is another 1/3 sq Lindt waiting.
Probably something to eat before gig at 5:30 although it is only video recording so will try to make it very small.
Supper spinach that has passed its best-by date by a week (nothing like slimy spinach, cooked)/hm dressing which I'd better make because I amy need alot!, flax crisps/dilute soy. Something protein. Perhaps a repeat of last night's "mixed nuts": almond butter, 3 macongratulations nuts, a few pecans.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@OzBlossom how about oat fiber for your fritters? Still cardboard but not sweet.
@DJC3 at least tell us the word that was autocorrected! Ahhhh I see @Antje77 caught it before you edited. That is hilarious! My SIL has a phone that will not let her dictate her husband's common English nickname. His name is Richard, and her phone calls him d***! Exactly like that.
@annabell1 happy for your healthy eyes!
@Annb beef stew omelette-- let us know how you liked it!
Bfast still in progress. Avocado, pecans, boiled egg, then 1 sq Lindt 90% while washing dishes and perking in freezer (not an audit but full of discovery anyway!) for meals that were frozen in pyrex storage but should be foil-wrapped. Rescued 5 covered dishes, one of which is for MrZF tonight. Flax crisps/dilute soy with poor demented cat on lap. He makes an excellent lap warmer. There is another 1/3 sq Lindt waiting.
Probably something to eat before gig at 5:30 although it is only video recording so will try to make it very small.
Supper spinach that has passed its best-by date by a week (nothing like slimy spinach, cooked)/hm dressing which I'd better make because I amy need alot!, flax crisps/dilute soy. Something protein. Perhaps a repeat of last night's "mixed nuts": almond butter, 3 macongratulations nuts, a few pecans.

Didn't make the omelette - stew was too wet, so just the stew will do - heating at the moment. But I think I like the idea and will do something of the kind, sometime soon. I see it as an omelette layer over the top of a meat stew of some sort (and maybe some grated cheese on top). Or maybe vice versa - omelette, grated cheese and stew on top.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something weird happened to my big pot of veg soup (shallot, spring onions, broccoli and cauli) today. It was on the back of the cold hob and started to bubble gently. I was a bit puzzled, grabbed a spoon and tasted it and it tasted foul and horrid. Only cooked it yesterday and took out of fridge this morning. This has only ever happened once before when I made cauli soup. Had to throw the whole pot at the back of the garden. Any ideas on the science?

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness @PenguinMum how awful, Is your kitchen warm? Did you cool it quickly after it was cooked? It sounds like the soup is fermenting. Many yeast and bacterial species grow well at room temperature but I’d expect them to take a little longer than a few hours. What a shame.
@zauberflote I’m enjoying the thought of the phone deciding your Sil has a ‘potty mouth’ and cleaning it up for her.
Today I had the usual black coffee this morning.
Lunch was bacon and eggs Diet Doctor style which meant there was also avocado ( ok) and walnuts ( a bit odd)
Dinner was airfried pork chop with garlic and herb butter, and Parmesan baked cauliflower. 2 glasses of our favourite Malbec which is currently £3 off at the Co op ( so obviously we have bought tons of it and spent more than we would if it hadn’t been reduced) also had a DGF raspberry bakewell and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see @Goonergal sorted it out.

What I will say though is there is never deep frying involved in this hacienda. Too dangerous; especially when the AF does it wonderfully, provided there's some oil on the meat/rind to start with.

Also so easy to switch out flavours - chilli and salt, S&P, Lemon Pepper, BBQ (If that's on your allowables or for the normies)

If I recall, @Brunneria also does it from frozen.
How long in the AAF, and do you still boil it for an hour first?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Neither dh or I woke until 9:30 this morning which meant I'd had a full uninterrupted 8 and a half hours. Oh good, I thought low fbg then, but no high 5 as usual grrr!
Straight into exercise class so also straight into lunch, 70g blue cheese with a 90 sec mug bread. Very filling I thought until I put some lamb bones into roast prior to bone broth and found one pack to be bones but the other pack to be so meaty as to almost be chops, so once they had roasted I ate all the meat...very very tasty it was too. Although it probably counts as lunch number 2.
The bones are now in the slow cooker.

D: 2 Morrisons sausages (1,5 g carbs each) with broccoli and cauliflower and 1 tablespoon of the boys lentil and veg curry
Glass of red to finish the bottle(!)

Dh has been cooking today so made pineapple upside down pudding. I am trying to save my one mouthful for while watching GBBO

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still sticking with three small meals for a while
Breakfast one slice of bacon,one fried egg and lc toast
Lunch one slice of lc bread toasted and served with pate and afterwards coffee and two home made truffles
Dinner - while cooking and stressing too many almonds nibbled! Cajun chicken with salads including my first plain cooked small beetroot test ( after three years of avoiding them they used to be a regular fave) I’m happy so far as one and a half hours after eating still barely a rise in bg so maybe a few may be allowed for me but not as I used to eat them - one of my my fave pre low carb meals was a very large jacket potato served with lots of beetroot pickled in sweet vinegar and a blob of low fat cottage cheese (no butter!) as I was under the impression that that low fat meal was healthy - wonder what my bg was like after that! I probably drank several glasses of cold orange juice with that too as I was always thirsty -wonder why I was diagnosed with a hbaca1 of 97!
Just had DGF peanut butter brownie with cream for pudding

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long in the AAF, and do you still boil it for an hour first?

Sometimes I do the "boiling" part - in the electric pressure cooker, then open freeze the slices, the vacuum pack them, so that I take take as much or little as I want for the next stage.

If the slices are biled, then about 20-ish minute sin the AF.

Without boiling, I'd guestimate c30 minutes.

Reactions: MrsA2