What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes diabetes makes you do ridiculous things!

I had bought a little bag of fudge, planning on treating my next hypo in style.
And then I tried to get a hypo for 3 days, but no such luck, so no fudge.

Finally today I had my way!
Only the timing was a bit off, so I ended up eating my fudge with my useless low carb meal of Brussels sprouts with cream cheese, bacon, and a burger with onions sitting in front of me, while trying to defend said meal from Poes the cat.

Not quite as stylish as I had in mind, but both the fudge and the meal tasted wonderful, and I only lost a little of the fried onions to Poes because my hypo brain insisted I wanted to make a picture :hilarious:

126512526_10222275642434306_4393742589867795477_o.jpg

126903695_10222275642194300_5276818647652215248_o.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I decided, once again, that I don't like beef stew very much. I had some of the gravy and a few veg but only one little piece of beef before giving up on it. It will go down for the dogs tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they will appreciate it more than I do. I will be starting to clear the big freezer tomorrow. At least I know what to do with any beef stew I find in there.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and small packet of coconut bites.
Dinner: chicken drumstick, with leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yummmmmm, wish I could get those here!
But it's ok, I'll be busting out my keto-baking moves soon and I'll try not to feel to envious since I did find an Australian alternative website :)

Busy work day so:
Lunch protein meal shake + psyllium, green salad and 3 x keto-friendly coffees
Dinner: portobello mushroom pizzas (yum!), green leaf salad and double ration of new salted caramel SF milk choc :bag: - ok I won't buy that one again, it's WAY too moreish for me - much easier to be restrained with the dark choc varieties!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2 of fragile digestive system which doesn't work too well with my lc food preferences especially lots of fibre. B:about 1/4 normal TWAM and no inulin - that was fine. Mid morning: CWC (tipped some away) and Dr A chocky - not so wise - queasy rest of day until EM: 2 poached eggs, 2 slices skinnybread toast and reduced sugar Tommy K. Yeast seems to be included in mix now @DJC3 but my Food Fairy adds a little as well which seems to work well. SLC rolls arrived yesterday, still in date today but mouldy - unimpressed.
How disappointing about the SLC rolls - I would e-mail them and I think they will replace them no problem - I have e-mailed them before and they got back to me quickly and I think they are a small company who care about customer service - how off putting for you and especially with you not feeling so good as well. I do the quick delivery now which is £1 dearer but if not I think royal mail can hold on to them for a few days so they are not as fresh.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something weird happened to my big pot of veg soup (shallot, spring onions, broccoli and cauli) today. It was on the back of the cold hob and started to bubble gently. I was a bit puzzled, grabbed a spoon and tasted it and it tasted foul and horrid. Only cooked it yesterday and took out of fridge this morning. This has only ever happened once before when I made cauli soup. Had to throw the whole pot at the back of the garden. Any ideas on the science?
Possibly bacteria. I had it twice with my Hubby's massive pots of Scotch Broth. It developed a kind of lemon taste and didn't look right. You need to cool soup quickly to get it in the fridge but large pots don't cool quickly. You cannot put warm soup into a fridge either as that can cause loads of other problems by increasing the temperature in the fridge.
The solution with large pots is to decant it into smaller containers to get it to cool down to refrigerate.

Reactions: zauberflote

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoga
Elevenses : 2 scrambled eggs, cheese and half a small avocado
Walk
Handful nuts
D: Thai takeaway. Drunken duck that was mostly chillis and a spicy chicken salad. Very hot so cooled down with a sugar free yoghurt lolly left from the summer.
3 hours later and now have a headache. Maybe not as low carb as I thought

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Miles behind again - Sunday 15/11 bed 7.2 FBG also 7.2.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo and ox tongue & coleslaw on the other slice.
L. Nothing - boys swimming lesson day
D. Casseroled beef olives in the IP with carrot, onion and baby corn. Had it with peas, spinach and some cauli. 2 squares 85%. Usual campari & soda and a wee prosecco.

Monday - bed 8.5 FBG 6.8. No logic for the high bed reading. Checked it twice so it wasn't a rogue.

B. TAG
L. Another 2 slices of SLC toast - same as Sunday coatings. Busy all day with a deep clean ready for putting up Christmas decorations (not yet - a way to go with the deep clean).
D. Couple of the butcher's Mexican melts. A little rissole type thing made with minced pork, filled with Mexican cheese and coated in egg and a spicy rub. Had it with lettuce, avocado, beetroot, mini mozzarella. Raspberries and a scoop of Grahams Goodness.

Tuesday Bed 7.4 FBG 7.7

B. TAG - busy morning. Had to get DIL to chiropractor pre school, drop son at shops, boys to school (complete with bicycle in boot - bike safety week) then back to get DIL/SON.
L. Eventually, 2 slices SLC toast with ox tongue & whipped cheese.
D. Peppered pork loin steak & veggie chips.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - hopefully the bug is short lived and you have all recovered by the time I catch up on the posts. @annabell1 - anniversaries are tough, especially 1st. Like @DJC3 , I lost my brother, a sister and four other relatives 2 years ago. It hit home again today when my one surviving brother was admitted to hospital (he's doing ok) but it suddenly dawned on me I was the one who always collated and passed on the details. Suddenly the people I contacted were not there. It's tough. Hugs xx
Wednesday bed 6.8 FBG 8.4 (readings are a bit up and down).

B. TAG - grandson cycled to school with friends so I just had little one to transport. Met up with other grandson at school to check bike was properly secured.
L. 2 slices SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
D. The other 2 of these Mexican melts with veggie chips. Raspberries and my last DGF bakewell.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs and one slice of LC toast
Lunch one slice of lc toast with a bit of vintage cheddar then 2 lc hm truffles and handful of almonds
Dinner salmon,cauliflower cheese and four very small oven chips made from new potatoes that had been cooked, cooled, chopped and open frozen - think my four were equivalent to about one new potato in total. No real rise in bgs I seem to be able to tolerate very small quantities of potatoes. Pudding DGF raspberry bakewell and cream.
Will be staying up late again tonight to get my delivery slot booked for two weeks ahead once slots open just after midnight! I’ve got my trolley filled ready so just need to book the slot and checkout. Site gets a bit busy and slow - keeps crashing - as everyone does same thing but with a bit of patience at least it gets sorted. The things we have to do!

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt organised today and planned a week’s meals in advance. I dug out my book Eat Rich Live Long ( Ivor Cummins and Jeffrey Gerber) and used recipes out of that. It’s been really nice following recipes from a book again rather than online - constantly scrolling up and down.
Today was chicken in creamy bacon sauce with broccoli ( daughter and her partner have started Slimming world, they had some rice and tomato thing and looked on with green eyes)
Lunch was a small bowl of h/m chicken soup.
Breakfast just black coffee

I had my old and greasy range cooker cleaned today - a lovely chap came and did an excellent job, turns out he and his wife follow a ketogenic diet and have lost 5stone between them. We had a good chat about it (while daughter rolled her eyes thinking ‘here we go again’ lol.)
I spent 3 days cleaning the range. Even Hubby commented it looked like new. Even although it was a greasy, messy job, I felt a bit pleased with myself.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday - bed 8.7 FBG 9.4 - Stress does that. It got as high as 10.7 before it started dropping again. Brother is eating, drinking, talking and recovering power in his legs but they still don't know why he had a bleed on the brain. Of course no visitors allowed so we're trying to get information by phone. @shelley262 - you've sparked a want for cheese on toast in me. I'll do that on Saturday with my SLC toast. @ianpspurs - sorry you're still under the weather. I agree with Mrs T 123. Get in touch with SLC they'll replace them.
B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. 2 GF sausages, fried egg and veggie chips. Ate way too much Grahams Goodness because I felt a bit down with everything going on. Felt really awful going to bed.

Cycling safety still ongoing so grandson got to cycle to ours but then it was back in the car as it was dark by the time they were going home.

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thursday - bed 8.7 FBG 9.4 - Stress does that. It got as high as 10.7 before it started dropping again. Brother is eating, drinking, talking and recovering power in his legs but they still don't know why he had a bleed on the brain. Of course no visitors allowed so we're trying to get information by phone. @shelley262 - you've sparked a want for cheese on toast in me. I'll do that on Saturday with my SLC toast. @ianpspurs - sorry you're still under the weather. I agree with Mrs T 123. Get in touch with SLC they'll replace them.
B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. 2 GF sausages, fried egg and veggie chips. Ate way too much Grahams Goodness because I felt a bit down with everything going on. Felt really awful going to bed.

Cycling safety still ongoing so grandson got to cycle to ours but then it was back in the car as it was dark by the time they were going home.

Sorry to hear that all the recent troubles are getting to you. Do try to take good care of yourself. It is so easy to let your own health take a back seat when you have other things/people on your mind. But you can only spread yourself so far. Then you have to include you in your thinking.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 sorry to hear about your brother - that must have been so scary but glad he seems to be recovering. No wonder your bg is all over the place.
Well done for cleaning your range yourself, I thought what a satisfying job it must be to leave it looking pristine and shiny.
I love the sound of your butcher’s Mexican melts. Am I right in thinking you’ve made these yourself in the past? Are they fried or baked?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast, CWC, nut granola
Lunch, bit of a feast with many items available. Had, ox tongue, coleslaw, hummous, carrot sticks, raw peppers, cucumber sticks, mashed avocado with marmite on a ryvita, half a small onion bhagee ( later ate the other half as well)
Glass of wine, nothing really unsuitable, but far too much. Gave the whole untouched cheesecake to Son2 and girlfriend. Who is lovely.
Dinner, another glass of wine diluted with tonic, and then more tonic added, some ham, more vegetables and hommous. Slice of cheese. Thought I was doing ok until MrSlim opened the box of chocolates now mysteriously refilled.
:greedy::greedy::greedy::bag:
Lemon tea.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@OzBlossom company for lunch, you lucky dog!
@SlimLizzy make sure Son2 and GF don't know we're peering in through your computer...
Thank you @all for your kind wishes! @DJC3 you're right, I stuck to LC foods all day but it is a law of physics and/or human physiology that if you eat three times what you need of LC foods, you've eaten your way through a not-LC day. Argh. I tried a dog biscuit once.... nope!
@ianpspurs take it easy until your gut comes back on line! Moldy rolls ought to get a refund!
@Antje77 glad you got to have the fudge eventually, and glad Poes didnot get the entire burger, as one of mine would have done. Either your camera is very fast, or the cat is being polite. Love the little pink tongue!
@Annb I agree, happy dogs! Good luck with your freezer there!
Re the bubbly soups and cooling them rapidly-- I have a system for taking the stockpot outside IF it's going to freeze, or IF there is snow to pack around it. I protect it from raccoons by weighting the lid with a couple of concrete pavers. I have also occasionally put something really hot into the chest freezer, where it really doesn't mess with the temperature too much. I've never done this with a stockpot though-- that's too much heat.
@maglil55 you are welcome to deep clean my house! Hugs for your anniversary. And for your brother.
Food:
Breakfast boiled egg, avo/flax bread, this time it was perfect texture/dilute soymilk, pecans
First Lunch boiled egg, pecans
Second lunch Boursin cheese, remainder of pecans
Supper lots of parmesan Whisps (what I get for upending myself in the freezer looking for MrZF hot dogs...), cherry toms, spinach/hm dressing, some curry tomato sauce with cream left over from an IP chicken thing from here, ages ago, that MrZF did not like (see freezer, above), flax crisps/dilute soy
Goodnight all, good morning @OzBlossom !

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Very late with my log for today (yesterday I suppose!)

L: Boiled eggs
D: Decided to treat myself to a Five Guys. First-ever "low-carb" takeaway. Double bacon cheeseburger in a bowl with lettuce, grilled onions and mushrooms.

I have to say, I was very disappointed with it. Was a bit cold and certainly didn't taste as good as perhaps sitting in and having it served fresh! I can definitely do better at home for a lot less than £9!

Going to be "experimenting" with pepsi max today to see if my BGs spike after drinking it. I've not had fizzy drinks for ages now, but I figured with Christmas coming I'll probably be drinking more than just ordinary tap water...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 sorry to hear about your brother - that must have been so scary but glad he seems to be recovering. No wonder your bg is all over the place.
Well done for cleaning your range yourself, I thought what a satisfying job it must be to leave it looking pristine and shiny.
I love the sound of your butcher’s Mexican melts. Am I right in thinking you’ve made these yourself in the past? Are they fried or baked?

Have either of your discovered the Astonish cleaning products? I use their Hob and Oven Cleaner (the one with the "special" sponge in it) for the, erm,..... hob and oven. For me, part of the measure of those is how well any cleaner manages the glass doors. Their Stainless Steel cleaner is excellent for,... well, you know.

However, the star of the show, in my view is the spray Degreaser. A couple of squirts, then wipe with a damp cloth and the grease just disappears, including in the AF, after bacon, or other fatty stuff.

I must say, I try not to let the hob, ovens or other gadgets get to a "really need a clean stage.

I just wish I could say the same for hoovering or dusting.