Why won't the NHS tell you the secret to treating diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that is exactly where most of us are trying to be useful here.

Trying to explain the risks of some people's actions.
Yes, both for themselves and for others who may be lurking. It was this type of thread that put me on the right track 9 years ago when I was first diagnosed.

Reactions: oldgreymare

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that is exactly where most of us are trying to be useful here.

Trying to explain the risks of some people's actions.

You and others, from all sides, have been consistent and persistent in your approaches, however the repetitiveness is going over the top. There is plenty on this thread to allow those open to different approaches to do their own reading and research, into the approaches adopted and championed by all sides.

To me, it looks like folks have had their say, and some. Bearing that in mind, from this point, if you want to argue the toss with others, I suggest you take it to PM.

Tannith

BANNED
Jenny Ruhl provides a good overview. In case you are unaware, regular post meal glucose/insulin spikes and prolong elevated glucose contributes to disease progression...
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/organ-damage-and-blood-sugar-level
Thank you. Most informative. I have ordered some glucose powder so I can do a Glucose Tolerance Test at home with a measured amount of glucose. This can be compared with "Normal". I'm still unsure what good it can do to test a random meal that one might possibly never eat again, though of course it is an excellent idea to find out what regular Glucose Tolerance is.

Reactions: kokhongw and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Most informative. I have ordered some glucose powder so I can do a Glucose Tolerance Test at home with a measured amount of glucose. This can be compared with "Normal". I'm still unsure what good it can do to test a random meal that one might possibly never eat again, though of course it is an excellent idea to find out what regular Glucose Tolerance is.
I tested alot in the beginning to see which foods suited me and which didnt. We are all different and if we don't test we might be missing out on foods we like just because these foods raise other's BGs. For example, some say carrots are a No No for them, but I find a zand size portion of carrots is OK for me. I go through phases of testing everything for a while and then other phases of just testing FBG, like you do.
I have never done a glucose tolerance test as I am still a work in progress. One day I may get to the place where I will want to test it too.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

The point of testing is to be consistent with testing pre and post meals that you eat frequently. This gives you some pretty solid data as to what happens when you eat those meals. The phrase, "You cannot manage a condition without measuring," comes to mind. It's all data that you can write down and can help with predictability of levels. And what foods are obviously not suitable. This is of course all unique to the individual, but You can kinda figure out if you want to test less frequently or more so to understand your own patterns.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still unsure what good it can do to test a random meal that one might possibly never eat again,
I agree.

I find that there are certain foods I eat often. For example, when I started out testing a typical meal was chicken breast, green veg and mashed potatoes. I know that the only part of that meal which had more than a few carbs was the mashed potatoes, so I tested, before and after. This showed me the effect of the mashed potatoes on my blood sugar levels. I then, over other meals containing potato, reduced my portion size until I found the amount I can eat without spiking. I do the same with other carbs, as the amount of carbs in a meal, drink or snack is the problem. Some people also like to track calories as well.

I am glad you have a meter and can test your blood sugar levels easily.

Reactions: Daphne917

Tannith

BANNED
The point of testing is to be consistent with testing pre and post meals that you eat frequently. This gives you some pretty solid data as to what happens when you eat those meals. The phrase, "You cannot manage a condition without measuring," comes to mind. It's all data that you can write down and can help with predictability of levels. And what foods are obviously not suitable. This is of course all unique to the individual, but You can kinda figure out if you want to test less frequently or more so to understand your own patterns.
Although I had been cutting down on calories for a couple of months previously , to help reduce my covid risk I only started on the 1000 cals a day a week ago. So far it seems to have started working. FBGs Fri 4.7; Sat 5.0; Sun 5.0; Mon 5.9; Tue 5.5; Wed 5.1;Thur 4.8. I am sure it will take at least a couple more weeks to get my weight down to my PFT. I'm aiming for consistent 4.5.

Reactions: kokhongw

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Although I had been cutting down on calories for a couple of months previously , to help reduce my covid risk I only started on the 1000 cals a day a week ago. So far it seems to have started working. FBGs Fri 4.7; Sat 5.0; Sun 5.0; Mon 5.9; Tue 5.5; Wed 5.1;Thur 4.8. I am sure it will take at least a couple more weeks to get my weight down to my PFT. I'm aiming for consistent 4.5.

Do you always test FBG or is this something new that you do? Do you test at any other point of the day?

You've got a few close to mid 4's in there, that's pretty close to what you are aiming for given the accuracy of meters.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Tannith

BANNED
Do you always test FBG or is this something new that you do? Do you test at any other point of the day?

You've got a few close to mid 4's in there, that's pretty close to what you are aiming for given the accuracy of meters.
I hadn't been testing for about a year as I had thought my FBGs were all right now. I have been testing Fbg s again for about a fortnight. I don't normally test at other times of day but have ordered some glucose powder so I can do a home OGT with an exact 75 g glucose which should be possible to compare with standardised results.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hadn't been testing for about a year as I had thought my FBGs were all right now. I have been testing Fbg s again for about a fortnight. I don't normally test at other times of day but have ordered some glucose powder so I can do a home OGT with an exact 75 g glucose which should be possible to compare with standardised results.

You'd be better ordering the real solution called Rapilose, used for the 75g OGTT.
I had a very different experience with that than 75gs of carbs from real food.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/rapilose-for-home-75g-ogtt.178418/

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Fri 5.2; Sat 5.3; Sun5.0; Mon 5.1; Tue 5.2 Wed 5.5; Thur 5.4; So no improvement this week. I obviously have to keep this up for a while longer.

Those are very stable... what about other readings? Before meals, after meals? Before bed? These would be helpful to understand trends, patterns and provide yourself with a more complete picture of your experiment.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What Mosley is advocating is basically the Atkins diet, which is EXTREMELY unhealthy for ANYONE!
As @lucylocket61 has asked, please provide a source if you make bold statements like these.
As our rules and ethos line out, we can post from our own experiences and where possible provide sources. They also explicitly state that ' Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices.'

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Atkins was basically advising quality meat and fish, eggs and cheeses. lots of fresh salad and other veges, and to adjust the diet to your personal requirements - and using natural fats rather than seed oils.
Absolutely nothing unhealthy in that.

Reactions: HSSS

Tannith

BANNED
Those are very stable... what about other readings? Before meals, after meals? Before bed? These would be helpful to understand trends, patterns and provide yourself with a more complete picture of your experiment.
I did an OGT last Tuesday 8th Dec: Start 6.0 ;75 min 12.6; 2 hours 11.6. Very erratic after that.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I did an OGT last Tuesday 8th Dec: Start 6.0 ;75 min 12.6; 2 hours 11.6. Very erratic after that.

That sounds rough... how long did it take to get back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.