What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it tradition in the UK to sing For Auld Lang Syne at the changing of the year to remember? I like that!

We don't have that (although we have our own traditions, and the melody of the song is mostly associated with soccer around here :hilarious:
- "Netherlands, oh Netherlands, you are the champion ('kam-pe-youn'), we love Orange ('O-ran-juh') for all it's deeds". Mind, we haven't been 'de kampioen' mostly, but that's no reason not to sing and celebrate in orange :hilarious:)

Now, as not to derail too much, I've had the rest of the string beans, simply with butter and salt, very yummy, and baked the second batch of the tuna things. Batter from the fridge with the egg whisked in at the last moment worked perfectly, so now I know how to save batter for later and still have fluffy silky tuna things!

edit: Wow! I didn't expect the video to be embedded, I expected only a link for whoever would be bored enough to click it! :D And I don't even like soccer, nor this singer :sorry:.
Yes it is often sung at the end of a good night out/birthday celebration/wedding here in Scotland - I think I can just about remember what a night out is like - it has been that long - it seems a lot longer now than just a year since I had a good night out - last new year there was 14 of us staying away at a hotel partying and celebrating the new year - what a difference a year makes! (*huge sigh*)

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt, flaxseed with goji berries, mixed seeds, cinammon and used up last of double cream. Mug of earl grey

Dinner (kind of) - 1 slc roll with cheese & coleslaw. 1 DGF (peanut butter whatever) and extra thick cream, 1 square of son's galaxy chocolate - it was soo good I can't remember the last time I had galaxy but glad he has finished the bar as I would be tempted to have another square. Part of me will be glad when all the treats are gone, if it is not in the house and I can't see it then I don't want it ... but I am enjoying the little treats which won't last that much longer - imo we all deserve a treat now and then - life is all about balance and I would be so miserable if I could never ever have xyz ever again (although there are some things very carby/sugar loaded I will never have again) - imo a LITTLE of what I fancy does me good sometimes. Mug of earl grey to finish off. Oh and I forgot a handful of mixed nuts.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Mrs T 123 admire your ability to eat treats in moderation. Not something I can emulate.

Back at work and TMAD again today.

Lunch was leftovers. Cold beef rib roast and cold lamb from last week.
Dinner was pork belly pieces and chicken wings coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it is often sung at the end of a good night out/birthday celebration/wedding here in Scotland - I think I can just about remember what a night out is like - it has been that long - it seems a lot longer now than just a year since I had a good night out - last new year there was 14 of us staying away at a hotel partying and celebrating the new year - what a difference a year makes! (*huge sigh*)
Yes, I'm the same. We went to one of the New Year events - the one my son's band was playing at. That was our second year there as 2018 was that awful year I lost 6 relatives. Having said that weather is so bad I doubt I'd want to go out currently (especially today).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a bit of a sleep in after all yesterday's partying. Fbg still high 6s and 7s :(
Protracted break fast from 11:00 of ff greek with chia seeds, pate, bits of a bad avocado, coffee with almond milk, some 100% montezumas

30 minute stroll, bitterly cold but lovely full rainbow followed by sleet.

D: 2 heck 97% sausages in an lc Yorkshire batter. Mine rose better than the normal batter the boys had. Broccoli. One glass red. Then half a toasted tea cake with butter. Not very nice as was underbaked and stodgy. Wish I hadn't wasted the carbs on it.
LC Yorkshire batter? Do tell.

Sugarlisa

Yogurt and blackberries and peppermint tea before school bell rung start of home schooling
Lunch was homemade spicy tomato soup with sugar free flavoured water
Tea was chicken fajitas in lettuce leaves instead of wraps and sugar free squash and green tea might be turning to wine or gin now I’ve got 2 to home schooling

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been playing with food today, due to a lighthearted random question in a facebook group yesterday :hilarious:.
The question was on the linguistic difference between 'bol' and 'bal' (both meaning 'ball'). Someone thought a bal bounces, whereas a bol doesn't, and used meatball (gehaktbal) and oliebol (something like a round, deep-fried doughnut, traditionally eaten at NYE) as examples, claiming meatballs bounce and oliebollen don't.

I happened to have an oliebol a neighbour had left in a bag from my door handle on NYE, which I'd planned to feed to the chickens this morning, so I decided to put it to the test :D
It bounced, so that was half this theory disproved.

And then I decided to put the other half of the theory to the test as well, as I thought it a perfectly good reason to make meatballs, so I had a wonderful meal of fried chicory with balsamic vinegar and very tasty meatballs :hungry:
Two-and-a-half meatball for myself, half a meatball for the cats and one meatball donated to science :)

Meatballs don't bounce, but they disappear real quick! :hilarious:

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday 3 January - bed 6.5 FBG 6.4. My cold worsened during the day and by bedtime I felt pretty vile. Even my little steamer wasn't really helping.
B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with roast beef, tomato, mustard.
L. Nothing.
D. Usual campari and soda. Beef olives done in the IP with carrot, onion, mushrooms, peas, broccoli & kale. One solitary truffle. (I have Mrs T 123 restraint but I have no one to eat them).

Spent the rest of the evening steaming my very heavy head and dosing up on paracetamol. My poor legs and rising BGs heralding nasty incoming cold.

Monday 4 January - bed 7.7 (on descent from 9.1) FBG 6.4 on the rise to the 8's where it stuck for quite a while. Pretty normal when I'm ill.

B. If you can call it that. TAG when I finally dragged myself out of bed at 10.45am.
L. Nothing watched how on earth you turn a Tier 4 (which is really Tier 5) into something else. Tier 6? Tier 5. something? Then went off to sit in a hot shower for a while and coat myself in Vicks. Weather is atrocious. Black ice on the pavements and lots of reports of falls. It might be worse tomorrow the amount of rain there's been.
D. 4 black pudding bon bons, avocado, prawns, Marie Rose sauce, mini mozzarella and 4 piccolo tomatoes. In other words leftovers.

Lots of water and paracetamol and generally doing nothing.

Tomorrow is another day and I don't feel as bad as earlier.

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn’t post yesterday as we went Blenheim Palace Lights Trail yesterday evening and got back late, lucky we went last night as I guess they’ll have to close now with lockdown 3 :(

Anyway yesterday’s food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by DGF cake and cream.
Late afternoon: coffee and a few pecans.
Skipped dinner as out.

Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coconut bites.
Dinner: cheese and tomato omelette followed by DGF cake and cream.

5E1C66EF-0E2F-4DE7-BF9F-513559296E8C.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LC Yorkshire batter? Do tell.
I egg
60 mls double cream
1 level tablespoon àrrowroot
Whisk well and leave to stand long as possible
(I'd add salt and pepper as texture was good but flavour lacking)
Whisk again just before adding to hot lard in baking trays
Cook 200 degrees like usual ones, but keep any eye on them. Mine did very quickly but was first time id tried recipe. I did it around sausages to make toad in hole.

There are more complicated recipes out there but this was quick and easy. Good texture just a little flavourless

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been playing with food today, due to a lighthearted random question in a facebook group yesterday :hilarious:.
The question was on the linguistic difference between 'bol' and 'bal' (both meaning 'ball'). Someone thought a bal bounces, whereas a bol doesn't, and used meatball (gehaktbal) and oliebol (something like a round, deep-fried doughnut, traditionally eaten at NYE) as examples, claiming meatballs bounce and oliebollen don't.

I happened to have an oliebol a neighbour had left in a bag from my door handle on NYE, which I'd planned to feed to the chickens this morning, so I decided to put it to the test :D
It bounced, so that was half this theory disproved.

And then I decided to put the other half of the theory to the test as well, as I thought it a perfectly good reason to make meatballs, so I had a wonderful meal of fried chicory with balsamic vinegar and very tasty meatballs :hungry:
Two-and-a-half meatball for myself, half a meatball for the cats and one meatball donated to science :)

Meatballs don't bounce, but they disappear real quick! :hilarious:
Maybe only 5 day old oliebols bounce? More testing needed?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe only 5 day old oliebols bounce? More testing needed?
That'll have to wait until next year, provided some friendly neighbour will hang a bag of oliebollen on my door again :hilarious:
Can't make them myself or I'd eat them, I love them when they're hot and fresh.

As for the meatballs, there may be a bouncy meatball recipe, but I'm not planning on making a habit of throwing good meatballs on the floor!

Still, as a one off, it gave me a very nice day, enjoying working out a silly joke by a stranger on the internet :)
Dogs are all for more experimenting with meatballs though :D

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Disasterous dinner...

One of my go to meals is 5 bean chilli with Quorn. I made it a couple of weeks ago and had really bad IBS after.

Somewhat foolishly I managed to forget this and made 5 bean chilli this evening. I have now been in pain for hours, complete upper and lower digestive tract. So watching tonight's covid announcement was especially painful.

I will avoid this in future, I'm guessing it is either the beans or quorn that I am now intolerant to. I eat chillies in lots of meals which only have a mild irritant effect rarely. It is a pity as it is one of my daughter's favourite meals.

Breakfast was the usual Greek yoghurt and berries, lunch was kippers and salad.

I have a fasting blood test in the morning. My nurse has warned that if my cholesterol is still high I will be advised to take statins. Likewise, if my HbA1c has not fallen enough she'll be looking at meds for me (I did not get on with Metformin at all).

I started Couch to 5k (using the nhs/bbc app, with Michael Johnson giving advice and encouragement) 8 weeks ago with my husband and friend. I am astounded that I can now run non-stop for 20 minutes. As a result of exercising three times a week my blood pressure and pulse have dropped considerably. I am hoping that this would have had a positive effect on my cholesterol level. However, I am regretting eating quite so many packets of pork scratchings now.

Take care all, keep safe. Things will get beter.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and MrsA2

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@maglil55 -- So sorry to read about your cold. Hope it won't turn out as bad as you fear and that you'll feel better soon.
@Antje77 -- Enjoyed watching your experiment re bounciness of meatballs vs. oliebollen.
@Bex72 -- Hugs for the IBS.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Very hungry, so had some walnut cheese, turkey salami, olives and cornichons.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Pan-fried duck breast with the last of the h/m low-carb sate sauce. Red wine.

Midnight snack: More walnut cheese.

PiersAaron

Yesterday, 01042021, I ate the following:

1. Before noon (and breaking fast): 6 cups of decaf coffee with a little bit of unsweetened almond milk;

2. Lunch: beef broth (one pint) with turnips and beef (meat) cubes made in IP and soft boiled egg marinated in soy sauce and mirin (AKA Ramen soft boiled eggs);

3. Dinner: Romaine lettuce salad with tomato, white onion, tomato, black olives, and chicken meat from rotisserie chicken. All topped with homemade salad dressing consisting of EVOO, lemon juice, Italian seasonings and garlic powder.

4. Dessert: 5 or 6 pieces of homemade peanut butter fudge (1" x 1" x 1/4"). Made of the following: butter, organic (no sugar) peanut butter, vanilla extract, and stevia. Some call these fat bombs.

I love my keto foods/recipes as they are so satisfying that no seconds are desired (nor required).

Last edited:

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
@Bex72 -- Hugs for the IBS.

Ziggy_w, thanks for your kind words. It is a relief to feel better today. I made a mistake by glugging Gaviscon in the night so could not have my fasting blood test this morning. Just about to have breakfast of berries, nuts, toasted seeds and Greek yoghurt with a cup of Rooibos tea.

Reactions: ianpspurs

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Forgotten to post Monday meal but I do recall having cooked ham and scrambled eggs on SD Toast buttered and black coffee but can't recall my other meals but do know I did do a bit of snacking eating of fruit but need to get back to eating better again gotten to used to Christmas indulging...

Tuesday

Scrambled eggs and cooked ham and 1/4 scone with butter

Dinner was leftovers tbone steak and some air fried potato chips with salad and herbs. A few spoons of bulla vanilla ice cream with chocolate coated almond not low carb but did enjoy ....

I completely forgot to check my BSL today. I've not been sleeping and feeling very tired and hit me today and since last week been dealing with very itchy sore hives all over my body so been taking treating it with steroids ointment taking phenergan at night to try and stop the itch and try to get some sleep!! and telfast throughout the day well sort of helping so hopefully settle down otherwise trip to my GP for stronger meds which im trying to avoid.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday’s effort: B:Tea: Mid morning: CWCSFCS: Lunch: Tea: MM: Avocado and Mackerel salad with lots of spinach powder and flaxseeds. A whisky later to celebrate MIL's 91st birthday. Her tipple of choice. Her mum drank plenty of whisky and made it to 99.8.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday’s effort: B:Tea: Mid morning: CWCSFCS: Lunch: Tea: MM: Avocado and Mackerel salad with lots of spinach powder and flaxseeds. A whisky later to celebrate MIL's 91st birthday. Her tipple of choice. Her mum drank plenty of whisky and made it to 99.8.
My stepmum had a daily whisky late afternoon every day and made it to 97. Maybe we are doing it all wrong?