Abstenuary February, anyone?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell foul of my no snack nut stuff today - why did I tidy up the cupboard and discover four boxes of Aldi nut and chocolate bars with an eat by date a week or so from now? I managed to give in to just one - but it hadn’t been planned for today.
I was brought up to never waste anything so find that difficult - very silly I know -but need to avoid rest until at least after bloods on Friday.

Reactions: DJC3

Beating-My-Betes

February definitely hasn't been as I thought. Decided that since I'll be moving away from cooked food on the 24th that it didn't make much sense to arbitrarily cut out bread and coffee a few weeks before that. So I haven't :)

Seems that some folk are doing much better with their intentions. Well done!

Reactions: shelley262 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note to self. A 4 hour eating window doesn’t mean eating continuously for the 4 hours! The less said about today the better. At least the barred chocolate has stayed off the menu.

LOL I’ve done the same thing before!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell foul of my no snack nut stuff today - why did I tidy up the cupboard and discover four boxes of Aldi nut and chocolate bars with an eat by date a week or so from now? I managed to give in to just one - but it hadn’t been planned for today.
I was brought up to never waste anything so find that difficult - very silly I know -but need to avoid rest until at least after bloods on Friday.

I wouldn’t pay any attention to the date. It’s obviously important for fresh food, meat, fish etc but if the nut bars look ok and taste ok I’d be confident eating them after the date personally. ( unless of course you secretly want an excuse to eat them all this week...?)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m managing ok so far. A couple of near misses when daughter took some nuts to work for her break and left the remaining handful in an open pack on the kitchen table. I looked at them for a couple of days before it occurred to me to put them away in the cupboard. It was SO hard!
Still off cream and my innards seem a lot happier for it. Had sour cream ( cooked) this evening so I’ll see what, if any effect that’ll have.

Reactions: Goonergal

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kept to my food and exercise plan today and yesterday. I was reluctant to walk today as it was tipping down, but I did. We now have a treadmill on order so no excuses even if it’s blowing a gale!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

why not freeze them?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t pay any attention to the date. It’s obviously important for fresh food, meat, fish etc but if the nut bars look ok and taste ok I’d be confident eating them after the date personally. ( unless of course you secretly want an excuse to eat them all this week...?)
Clearly I was hoping for the excuse as I have just had one for lunch!
will take @Brunneria s advice and freeze some or my excuses will carry on as a justification Also have frozen 9 wedges of cornish blue cheese so well stocked for cheese for now!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clearly I was hoping for the excuse as I have just had one for lunch!
will take @Brunneria s advice and freeze some or my excuses will carry on as a justification Also have frozen 9 wedges of cornish blue cheese so well stocked for cheese for now!
Freezing the cheese is a good idea. Though I am reluctant to do that with the chunk of strong flavour Lancashire cheese given to me as a gift yesterday. My resolve to limit cheese intake will be tested as it remains in the fridge. Though the freeze option will be there if I think Mr Pipp is going to snaffle the lot.

I seem to be settled in the routine now of no cream, nuts, and less coffee, more water, cheese rationed to one small matchbox size portion a week. At last some weight has vanished from my frame, and last 24 hours average BG levels are lowered by 0.6.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weather here today was a bit meh, but I still walked because our tread mill arrived :)
Kept to food plan today and have lost a couple more pounds in weight since last week, so happy with that too :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve kept away from the nuts and nut butter so far, with a couple of near misses.
I’m finding that I’m eating more than usual amounts of baked goods though - low carb bread and cakes used to be an occasional treat but in the last couple of weeks have been a daily occurrence. It seems I can’t take my eye off the ball for a minute!
So, added to the list of things to beware of apart from nuts, nut butter and cream are now lc bread and cake. Shame I’ve just set up a subscription for seriously low carb rolls.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear you @DJC3 avoiding chocolate and nut butter (close to 3 months for the latter) and reducing cream has seen a surge in consumption of Nando’s peri-peri nuts. They’re going to need to go on the hit list too.

Came across this interesting - but inconclusive - study today on the topics of whether increased variety of food at a meal leads to over consumption: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqaa352/6123941

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article @Goonergal It’s like the ‘pudding tummy’ where you always have room for a pud even if you are full up.
I failed abysmally at abstaining from baked goods today. Packed lunch at work was a low carb roll and a low carb cake - so double whammy!
I’ve made some tuna muffins to take tomorrow, but I still have a freezer load of DGF cakes to get through.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I started on this thread to help me tighten up things for the few weeks before my delayed annual DN stuff, thought would report results on here. They were exactly what they were at my last NHS blood draw and measurements last January 2020 apart from another rise in my already raised cholesterol! HBaca1 at 34 ( did a thriva test last summer and was 32) Weight BMI still at 20 (would have risen by a little bit if hadn't cut back on my nuts I believe!)Blood presure still 117/68. cholesterol up from 7.7 Jan 2020 to 8.2 February 2021. But I am a high LDL cholesterol girl - looking back over my last records back to early 2000s always a 6 or 7 even before changed what I eat.. My 90 year old mum too also always gets 6/7s results. Had long lecture from DN but it made no difference to my ongoing own personal decison not to take statins.
stressful week but haven't retreated to the nuts yet but have started cream in some of my coffees again!! Mum was due to have surgery this last Monday and I got her up there but then her BP was so raised because of anxiety they decided after keeping us hanging on much of the day that they wouldn't operate and she would have to see her Gp to review her BP!!! They wanted to look at some nerve damage and said it would be difficult re bleeding.
@Goonergal @DJC3 @Rachox @Mrs T 123 will probably be a few days before go back to what did i eat thread as a lot on with caring over next few days but knew you'd appreciate an update.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I started on this thread to help me tighten up things for the few weeks before my delayed annual DN stuff, thought would report results on here. They were exactly what they were at my last NHS blood draw and measurements last January 2020 apart from another rise in my already raised cholesterol! HBaca1 at 34 ( did a thriva test last summer and was 32) Weight BMI still at 20 (would have risen by a little bit if hadn't cut back on my nuts I believe!)Blood presure still 117/68. cholesterol up from 7.7 Jan 2020 to 8.2 February 2021. But I am a high LDL cholesterol girl - looking back over my last records back to early 2000s always a 6 or 7 even before changed what I eat.. My 90 year old mum too also always gets 6/7s results. Had long lecture from DN but it made no difference to my ongoing own personal decison not to take statins.
stressful week but haven't retreated to the nuts yet but have started cream in some of my coffees again!! Mum was due to have surgery this last Monday and I got her up there but then her BP was so raised because of anxiety they decided after keeping us hanging on much of the day that they wouldn't operate and she would have to see her Gp to review her BP!!! They wanted to look at some nerve damage and said it would be difficult re bleeding.
@Goonergal @DJC3 @Rachox @Mrs T 123 will probably be a few days before go back to what did i eat thread as a lot on with caring over next few days but knew you'd appreciate an update.

Excellent ongoing control as usual @shelley262 especially in the light of lockdown and the stress it has added to everyone’s lives. You have the added stresses of your caring role for family members which makes your results even more impressive. You’ve done so well kicking the nut habit too, during this period. Very well done all round!!!!

Ps what a shame about your mum’s op. Even more for you both to worry about now. It would have been such a relief to get it over with.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Congratulations on the blood results @shelley262

Almost the end of the month and still chocolate free. Have even chucked out any remaining cocoa and erythritol from my cupboards, so will now require active purchasing!

Did succumb to some Nando’s nuts yesterday but once in a week is a big improvement on 3 times last week.

On the theme of abstention, I’ve joined a new social media platform called Clubhouse (IPhone/iPad only at the moment) and am attending a weekly discussion hosted by Jen Unwin (and a couple of others) on food / sugar addiction. Some very interesting discussions so far. It’s also shown live on Facebook via the Paleo Canteen page.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
)Blood presure still 117/68. cholesterol up from 7.7 Jan 2020 to 8.2 February 2021. But I am a high LDL cholesterol girl - looking back over my last records back to early 2000s always a 6 or 7 even before changed what I eat.. My 90 year old mum too also always gets 6/7s results. Had long lecture from DN b
Thanks for that Shelley. Mine are similar and I was feeling guilty and worried. With this in mind I can better face the dn on Monday

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Shelley. Mine are similar and I was feeling guilty and worried. With this in mind I can better face the dn on Monday
Really don’t feel guilty I’m really not convinced it’s about what you eat re cholesterol - for me it’s def genetic looking back at my medical records I can see that and also at my 90 year old mums high ldl history. I did do statins briefly but was crippled by muscle pain and exercise for me is vital to my mental health so I refuse to take a preventative drug that for me has exercise restricting side effects just for one supposed risk factor - LDL - when my other ‘risk’ factors are so low ie low weight, bgs and bps plus non smoker Plus read lots of studies that associate high ldl in Post menopause women with longlivety. It’s a personal decision but for me know it’s right. I did try a few things this time again like reducing dairy but think really has no impact for me my liver just likes making Ldl but luckily trigs low and HDL high. Hope your DN discussion goes well and you make a comfortable right decision for you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent ongoing control as usual @shelley262 especially in the light of lockdown and the stress it has added to everyone’s lives. You have the added stresses of your caring role for family members which makes your results even more impressive. You’ve done so well kicking the nut habit too, during this period. Very well done all round!!!!

Ps what a shame about your mum’s op. Even more for you both to worry about now. It would have been such a relief to get it over with.
Thank you @DJC3 stress has been huge so I’ve being feeling very relieved.
Yup re issue re mums sight had hoped they may be able to improve things. She actually broke the GPs blood pressure monitor this morning! So is going to have the 24hour monitor fitted when it’s available hopefully next week.shes also having kidney function tests at the moment so I’m crossing fingers as she has got chronic kidney disease her one big vulnerability so could be that. If no op possible her sight is obviously going to deteriorate more which has Care implications at her age. She, as ever, was chirpy she thought it was funny the bp machine went bang and that the nurse kept saying how young she looked and kept checking her 1930 date of birth!
On big plus side managed to get autistic son out of his sheltered accommodation at teatime today to get his cv19 vax I’m thrilled we managed it. It was touch and go and hard but phew such a relief we managed it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all

A gentle reminder that this thread is about abstention / food addictions.

The cholesterol discussion needs to be taken elsewhere. Perhaps to MrsA2’s thread on that subject?