What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know what you mean, I can't stand it either hence the query. What are the wasps like?! ;)

Thanks DJC3 Goonergal, I'll look at the cheesies and brazil nuts for occasion.
Almonds & walnuts (a few) are acceptable too. On occasion, I'll have half a dozen cherries.

Reactions: Max68

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - large lc pancake with blueberries and double cream poured over the top. I have some Almond four which is out of date the end of this week - should I use it up before then or will it be ok for a little longer - what do yous think ?

Dinner - chicken balmoral with sprouts, broccoli and a little carrot. lc trifle
Should be OK. I've used it past the best before. For longer term "past" smell it. If it smells off then obviously bin in. It is a best before not a use by date.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although snacking is frowned upon, this has to be a way of eating for life, that fits into real life.
I use homemade cheese crisps. Dead easy. Buy a presliced cheese such as gouda or emmenthal (not cheddar, too runny) and cut a slice into about 6 triangles. Place the triangles on a piece of greaseproof paper and cook on high in microwave for a minute, may need 10-30 seconds longer depending on cheese or microwave. As they cool they crisp up and you eat them. Good for dips.
Can also add flavouring such as paprika, garlic powder, seeds etc.
They keep well in an airtight tin.
These satsify me much better than the potato or mass produced snacks.
I often do them as part of my lunch
They can be cooked in an oven too for 15-20 minutes
@Max68 - @MrsA2 has just reminded me of something I haven't made for a while - salami crisps! Similar idea but, you put the salami slices into the microwave between 2 sheets of paper kitchen towel. Depends on the power of the microwave but between 1--1.5 mins. Just keep checking and do them little by little. They crisp as they cool. Marks & Spencer sell them but it's less expensive to make your own.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
8CF8F7FD-1A89-409F-A8D6-588DBD2DCF58.jpeg
@Antje77 happy birthday love your twisty candles in low carb bread an inspired idea for a replacement cake!
@Max68 as others have said - better to report those slip ups /temptations here than not, it does help to list here and then work at getting back to it tomorrow it’s a work in progress for all of us and I speak with three and a half years experience including today when my plans were not kept to and snacks sneaked in - kept low carb but total was more than I aim for, but tomorrow is another clean slate!
Breakfast lc roll with three 95% chipolata sausages and squeeze of lc ketchup
Lunch seeded crackers with chorizo and Cornish blue cheese followed by an afternoon of nibbles - two lc truffles, handful of almonds ( from the tin I’d taped down to stop me mindlessly nibbling!), one quarter of one of my new made this morning hm lc rolls see photo buttered - they had to be tasted! And half a DGF millionaire shortbread. It was a grey day and I was feeling stressed about a family issue - no excuse though it happens!
Dinner hm chicken curry with lc seeded crackers and teaspoon of chutney as well as two gin and soda waters followed by DGF brownie and yoghurt.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Had to order Nando’s again today when I realised that the item I’d planned on eating for lunch (slow roast beef brisket from Waitrose) contained ingredients I loathe (ginger and coriander). Had misread the label and thought they were in the dressing I’d always planned to ditch. That was promptly ditched and Nando’s boneless thighs, wings and Halloumi were devoured. Even better, I complained about the late delivery and got a credit for half the value of the order! Followed up with some Greek yoghurt.

Dinner was air fried pieces of pork belly coated in chilli oil and salt.

(Edited for typo).

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh for someone to invent a sugar free sorbet!! After the salad last night been a bit more naughty today. Lunch 3 cold sausages, two lower carb crisp bread thingies with stilton. Dinner tub of firecracker chicken wings (they are fabulous) with 5 little brew city mozzarella and gouda oven cooked cheese balls (same company that does the halloumi fries) with two small slices of lower carb toast with pate. Usual strawberries and double cream to finish. Coke zero as always. Did I say oh for someone to invent a sugar free sorbet?;)
This one works but it's quite labour intensive. It is a no churn recipe if you don't have an ice cream maker but you will need something to blitz it with. I use a stick blender or the large blender on my Kenwood. The trick is to stick to berries for the sorbet and use a decent sweetener. I use Monk Fruit sweetener as it doesn't have an after taste to me. It's an online purchase. Cheapest I've found it was at "my diet shop". When you are making the syrup watch it like a hawk. Monk Fruit is an expensive thing to burn!

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/no-churn-low-carb-berry-sorbet

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A chicken-centric day for me. I had a bag of chicken wings, around 1kg and ended up scoffing the lot!
After swimming in the sea this morning and letting myself get far too cold I had a cup of h/m chicken bone broth when I got in, which really helped.
Lunch plain chicken wings s&p airfried.
Dinner - I’d read @Goonergal ‘s post on brining by then and had done this with the rest of the wings. OMG fabulous. I meant to keep some for packed lunch on Monday but ended up eating them all!
Thanks very much for your suggestions too @annabell1 and @MrsA2 I didn’t see them until Just now but they both sound lovely and I will try them another day. ( I might have to buy an individual sachet of peanut butter for the Headbangers kitchen recipe, otherwise I’ll eat the whole jar!)
@annabell1 @Max68 and @PenguinMum I couldn’t believe how easy those Scotch eggs were to make. Loosely followed this recipe https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-paleo-scotch-eggs/
Max68 I used some of the LoDough Southern coating on some of them - worked very well.
@shelley262 those rolls look great I can almost smell them. Hugs for the family stress though.
Max68 and Annabell1 I agree with others here that the important thing is to keep posting. We all have bad days, slip ups and not-so-low-carb events but staying here helps - we’ve all been there and we understand the problems. Tomorrow is another day, please hang around.
Max68 would olives do you as a snack? Otherwise salami crisps - you can buy packs of them in supermarkets or make them by microwaving slices of salami between kitchen roll for 30 second blasts until crispy. They might fill the salty crispy snack hole.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 1 March bed 6.6 FBG 6.9. @DJC3 - excellent looking Scotch Eggs! Back on the school run and home schooling. Youngest was in a bit of a mood this morning for some reason.
B. TAG
L. A SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
D. A pork chop with remains of the waldorf salad. Sounds odd, but it actually was OK. Another bit of that spicy carrot cake.

Tuesday 2 March bed 6.1 FBG 6.6.

B. TAG
L. A SLC sandwich with egg mayo.
D. Aubergine parmigiana with a leftover slice of mortadella and a few cherries later.

A good couple of home schooling days as well.

Reactions: Max68 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting the link to the Scotch egg recipe @DJC3 , I’ve been meaning to ask you for it :)

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: Crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s good to see you @Antje77 and happy birthday greetings from me too. The tuna melt mushrooms look wonderful. Great idea.

Has anyone here a favourite chicken wing marinade? Something simple I might already have ingredients for. I have a big bag in the fridge, I’m usually happy with just s&p and air fryer but I’m in the mood for a change.
I use a dry rub. You get the little packs in the supermarkets. I like the chimichurri one and also sriracha.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a dry rub. You get the little packs in the supermarkets. I like the chimichurri one and also sriracha.

I like both those spicy flavours so will look out for them. Our little Co op doesn’t do anything so exotic, I really do need to make an effort to get into town. Still haven’t replaced my reading glasses that Dennis ate, or got to Iceland for the broccoli soufflés.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and a cheese and garlic chive omelette, cheese, toamto and lettuce in a lower carb wrap for lunch, also had some liquorice pieces I found in the truck that the apprentice left in the glove box. Dinner was grilled reef fish and a salad.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Max68 - as other have said we've all fallen off the wagon at some point. Stick with it and just forget about small blips. You'll get there. What you will find is that over time your taste will change. @Antje77 - Happy birthday xx Loving the curly candles.

Wednesday 3 March & Thursday 4 March were pretty identical.

Wed bed bed 5.8 FBG 6 & Thurs bed 6.1 FBG 5.8.

Both days

B. TAG
L. A SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
D. Removed Hubby's mushroom and chicken soup from the freezer and had 2 bowls both nights with another slice of SLC bread. Back on the Lidl lollies but I'm eeking them out since I can't find them anywhere. Desperation is setting in!

Been a really good home schooling week too.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like both those spicy flavours so will look out for them. Our little Co op doesn’t do anything so exotic, I really do need to make an effort to get into town. Still haven’t replaced my reading glasses that Dennis ate, or got to Iceland for the broccoli soufflés.
It's Schwartz that make them. Here's the link from ASDA so you can see what they look like but all the supermarkets have them - well Tesco, ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury's anyway.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...VQWHmCh3PAgQnEAQYASABEgLZXPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 4.8 FBG 4.7 - Grandson got a half day off home schooling as home working son needed to get his work laptop in to link up to the mainframe in the office as well get to the bank. No rest for me then. I had to fit it around the school run with the younger one then off to visit brother and family. I did say to him he was very quiet but he said he was just happy listening to the conversation. He's sleeping more now but appetite is still fine. Still seems stable for now.
I was really tired today so after a run to Tesco with son/grandson Hubby suggested take out to save me cooking anything.
B. TAG
L. Nothing
D. Hubby fancied Chinese so I found a dish, a whole sliced chicken breast on a bed of beansprouts and spring onion. It was in a savoury sauce and didn't do anything awful to my BGs. Glad I didn't make cauliflower rice as the portion of everything was huge!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive the interruption, but I know several on here use the Copymethat app for recipes. I've just had an email saying they've had a data breach and passwords stolen. Has anyone else had this email?

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was going to post a picture of my very pretty and festive but also sensible plate of various cheeses, sliced dried sausage, rolled up smoked ham with cottage cheese, raw bell pepper, cucumber and tomatoes with mozzarella I made for dinner.

But right when I finished making up the plate my neighbours barged in for a surprise birthday visit with presents, an impressive homemade smoke bomb outside my door and chinese take-away to share between us and all the dogs and cats:sorry:.
So I'll back out of this thread for now.
My pretty plate is safely in the fridge with cling film so I'll have my festive meal and renewed resolutions for my new year tomorrow!
Today I've had the perfect little lockdown birthday party :)

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgive the interruption, but I know several on here use the Copymethat app for recipes. I've just had an email saying they've had a data breach and passwords stolen. Has anyone else had this email?
Yes, I got it. I've changed my password. I use different passwords anyway so I wasn't too bothered.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 6.3 FBG 5.9. I'm a bit narked today! I've had a meter and test strips since I was diagnosed at the start of 2008. Today I received a letter from my GP to say they've been instructed by the Health Board to conduct a check on all prescriptions and, because I am not insulin dependent, the health board has stated I "no longer need them". Any other Scottish members had this? I can't help thinking I'm being penalised for daring to control my diet, lose weight and reduce my overall medication intake.
B. TAG
L. Much later (had to do a decent shop) 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
D. Courgette zoodle carbonara. Having to spiralise zoodles now since Oomi Noodles & Lidl's Lighthouse Bay High protein noodles have vanished of the face of the earth! I don't like the other alternatives. Courgette zoodles are an ok alternative although my Lakeland zoodle maker is a bit annoying so Hubby wants to get me an electric one!
I gave into a Lidl lolly - only 2 left now!

Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I got it. I've changed my password. I use different passwords anyway so I wasn't too bothered.
Yes, I wasn't too bothered as no private data on there, but just wanted to check and see it wasn't just me as it came out at an odd time

Reactions: maglil55