P:E dieting

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Direct quote from the book
View attachment 48530
That's excellent news. As I have got older the amount I can comfortably eat has got smaller and smaller and I have been concerned the last few years that I am just not eating enough protein.

I have tried cooking an extra egg or serving myself more meat but I just end up giving it to the Labradors - but I think I can definitely manage adding whey protein to my current diet.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Answered my question re whey protein - you got there first @Krystyna23040 - so thanks. Also saved me £60+ on the book. Can I assume this fits the bill/Ted being high protein, high fibre low carb?

Guess it’d depend on the PE ratio of the ingredients - he doesn’t seem keen on grains, but I’ve never been a believer in religiously following what anyone else does. For me it’s broad principles and what works for me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess it’d depend on the PE ratio of the ingredients - he doesn’t seem keen on grains, but I’ve never been a believer in religiously following what anyone else does. For me it’s broad principles and what works for me.
Thanks. In the potted summary it says: To eat this way intuitively, simply target foods with either protein or fiber as the dominant macronutrient. http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/p2e/AboutP2E.html

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of macros are you aiming for?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of macros are you aiming for?

Broadly (although I’m not regularly tracking them), around 40% protein, with carbs as close to 0 as possible. On the few days I’ve done a spot check, carbs haven’t been higher than 2% and protein has ranged from 38% - 48% (the latter involved over 200g protein!).

I’m more focusing on eating more of the foods with a PE over 1, ideally over 1.5 but not obsessively. Have eaten nuts more often than I wanted, for example and throw in very fatty stuff like lamb ribs from time to time. Seems to be working so far. Although weight hasn’t dropped much (hospital scales quoted above seem to be lower than home), my ‘mot’ this morning showed that in 1 month, I’ve dropped 2cms off waist, 2.8 off hips and 1.5 off the ‘muffin top’ (!). My aim is to get to a healthy waist - height ratio: even at my lightest that has never been achieved, so focusing more on the measurements for now.

Reactions: LaoDan

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Broadly (although I’m not regularly tracking them), around 40% protein, with carbs as close to 0 as possible. On the few days I’ve done a spot check, carbs haven’t been higher than 2% and protein has ranged from 38% - 48% (the latter involved over 200g protein!).

I’m more focusing on eating more of the foods with a PE over 1, ideally over 1.5 but not obsessively. Have eaten nuts more often than I wanted, for example and throw in very fatty stuff like lamb ribs from time to time. Seems to be working so far. Although weight hasn’t dropped much (hospital scales quoted above seem to be lower than home), my ‘mot’ this morning showed that in 1 month, I’ve dropped 2cms off waist, 2.8 off hips and 1.5 off the ‘muffin top’ (!). My aim is to get to a healthy waist - height ratio: even at my lightest that has never been achieved, so focusing more on the measurements for now.
Is there a simple table which shows foods in the 1.5 class? If they are all meat or nuts thanks but no thanks just now. Even some non meat examples would be good - salmon?. I don't object to either out of any principle except I don't like them right now. Is this information only available in the book?

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a simple table which shows foods in the 1.5 class? If they are all meat or nuts thanks but no thanks just now. Even some non meat examples would be good - salmon?. I don't object to either out of any principle except I don't like them right now. Is this information only available in the book?

Haven’t seen a table (have made my own spreadsheet), but this might help. Pretty easy to mentally calculate from the nutrition label too - for me I’m mainly looking at v low carb, so easy to quickly check whether protein grams are higher than fat, and by how much.

Also re-attaching snapshots from my spreadsheet.

D8F37B1E-6AFA-4097-9F5C-C97890E21AF8.jpg

Attachments

• 43103326-B1FB-41B2-AD34-769F5CA19AF2.jpeg
    43103326-B1FB-41B2-AD34-769F5CA19AF2.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 236
  • BC07AEAA-AB0F-4828-AD8C-AC2DFC434FA4.jpeg
    BC07AEAA-AB0F-4828-AD8C-AC2DFC434FA4.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t seen a table (have made my own spreadsheet), but this might help. Pretty easy to mentally calculate from the nutrition label too - for me I’m mainly looking at v low carb, so easy to quickly check whether protein grams are higher than fat, and by how much.

Also re-attaching snapshots from my spreadsheet.

View attachment 48538
Thanks. Salmon and Fage in there so that's fine.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

There’s a PE calculator on the net, just enter the macros. I do the PE by the meal not by the item. I roughly track by the day as I might have a fattier meal in the morning and lean out towards the end. Salmon is excellent btw.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a PE calculator on the net, just enter the macros. I do the PE by the meal not by the item. I roughly track by the day as I might have a fattier meal in the morning and lean out towards the end. Salmon is excellent btw.
Thanks. Since salmon is good I'm fine for now. I saw the calculator but which source for the macros - alarming variation. I use Waitrose values - since I shop there- but not sure they are accurate. Is good enough, good enough? I realise now I use that for the TyG calculator.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is what is great about this method, Ted gives some ideas to get started, knowing full well that if you go down the non-meat roots for protein, you will get fatigued say trying to eat the amount of beans etc....but it makes the method available to all eating genres (a bit like fasting). His instagram is hard to fault on the picture / meme side of things https://www.instagram.com/tednaiman/ - if you look at the food pictures / comparisions, there can be no doubt what camp he is in. I have used his whole food ingredients pictures for around 2 years on this site with the caveat of advising against the tubers, the rest for me is spot on.

His method is not new, the limits have been between 10 and 35% for a while for protein, it is good to see more advocates around the 30% mark for protein now. It has suited the guidelines to aim at the lower end due to this fitting the foods that are preferred on the method (and a couple other protocols that are high carb).

In addition the "Keto" diet has in my view been too literal on the "classic" 3-1 to 4-1 approach for fat ratios when used in context of fat loss and condition management such as diabetes; "we" don't need that much fat when we are not epileptic. Ketone production is great but, I believe it is acceptable to flip the switch over to creating and using ketones, with an emphasis on the body using them as opposed to showing them on a meter.

The individualisation of fat percentage on goals and feel good factor is good. Ted is a low carb guy (around 100 grams), with an obsessive view on body composition, in the least amount of time to effort. I would like him to say that equating fat and carbs as energy is only applicable to the 12% who are metabolically well, then he would go from an "A" in my view to an "A star", but I think he is right to indicate there is no free hit for fat in excess.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have huge respect for many of the contributors on this thread. You are far more knowledgeable and successful than me. Like many others I just want to wake up and feel I don't have to eat food that almost makes me heave just to meet certain goals. I've done far too much of that over six years. I would love a simple couch to 5k type guide not the sub 2 hrs marathon regime. I mean this as friendly and for all the other JAMs out there who get scared off threads like this which would help us. If 1 on that wheel @Mbaker linked to is salmon and say broccoli (please say it is) I've learned enough for today. Thanks.
Edit; Posts crossed @Mbaker - adding mackerel is good for me. The graphic I posted below is simple enough even for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My results so far with a high protein low carb diet and exercise(13 months) . I have to do a 14 day quarantine when I get back to Singapore, I plan on doing a PSMF. See if I can lose more around the middle,

F90EF0E1-6D3E-4B5F-9E31-B346058717AF.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have huge respect for you @Mbaker and I am certain you are right. Like many others, I suspect, I just want to wake up and feel I don't have to eat food that almost makes me heave just to meet certain goals. I've done far too much of that over six years. I would love a simple couch to 5k type guide not the sub 2 hrs marathon regime. I mean this as friendly and for all the other JAMs out there who often get scared off threads like this.
The way I implement is whatever my standard low carb / keto / carnivore meal is, I either have less berries / nuts and replace with prawns, sardines, mackerel, chicken, higher protein meat (i.e. lean). So for me surf and turf works well. I did try low fat yogurt that is high in protein, but this was tasteless, so I compromise and use this in my flatbreads and real yogurt for a dessert. Look at the Instragram link above pictures are so much better.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have huge respect for many of the contributors on this thread. You are far more knowledgeable and successful than me. Like many others I just want to wake up and feel I don't have to eat food that almost makes me heave just to meet certain goals. I've done far too much of that over six years. I would love a simple couch to 5k type guide not the sub 2 hrs marathon regime. I mean this as friendly and for all the other JAMs out there who get scared off threads like this which would help us. If 1 on that wheel @Mbaker linked to is salmon and say broccoli (please say it is) I've learned enough for today. Thanks.
Scrub this but thanks so much for the reply. The graphic below the calculator is simple enough for me and much clearer for my old eyes than the Instagram ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-01 16.23.46.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-01 16.23.46.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My results so far with a high protein low carb diet and exercise(13 months) . I have to do a 14 day quarantine when I get back to Singapore, I plan on doing a PSMF. See if I can lose more around the middle,

View attachment 48542
Wow, the results are obvious, much better than any study or theory. Great you're showing the guns, not all fat loss yields the composition change as well.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Started supplementing with whey protein yesterday. Fatsecret shows that my protein intake on a Friday is usually around 28g. Yesterday (with the whey protein) it was 97g.

Today on the early morning dog walk I had much more energy than I usually do. I know that it just may be a coincidence as it is only one day with a higher level of protein but it could be a sign that my body does need the higher level of protein.

I have been concerned at my low levels of protein consumption for several years and am so pleased that this thread has galvanised me into doing something about it - instead of worrying about it but doing absolutely nothing to rectify it.