What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Easter egg hunt sounds good @Muddy Cyclist but fbg seems to be troubling you. Don't sweat the small stuff, it will come good. This being a standard modern house with postage stamp garden no Easter egg hunt here as it is waste of time. Great fun in the old country. Anyone else have the Easter tradition of new clothes or the birds would poo on ya? No, just my granddad's sense of humour then but just in case I do observe that.
My grandfather used to send home parcels (crates really) from the front during the war with a label on “Captain Dwyer’s Laundry” - He was the quartermaster of the Yorkshire Regiment. One such parcel had a parachute amongst the contents. My mother recalls her and her sisters all wearing new silk dresses on Easter Monday parade that year.

Reactions: BRSBRI

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandfather used to send home parcels (crates really) from the front during the war with a label on “Captain Dwyer’s Laundry” - He was the quartermaster of the Yorkshire Regiment. One such parcel had a parachute amongst the contents. My mother recalls her and her sisters all wearing new silk dresses on Easter Monday parade that year.
Interesting. My grandfather was ex-military, China, India, Dunkirk. Great story that one.

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Took Arthur for a gallop around the undulating hills of Bath this morning and bumped into someone I hadn't seen for ages.

Turns out she is diabetic too, been diagnosed for a couple of years. Asked her how she's managing and the answer floored me. " I eat what I want and if I overdo it, I just dose up on Metformin or other tabs".

The stupidity not to mention disrespect for the care team who will be doing their best blew my brain...

I told MrsBRS and she rolled her eyes until they almost stuck...

lindisfel

Expert
Oakland...never go to Oakland. I was speaking at Berkeley Uni and took a wrong turning...went a little over a stop line and a dude battered the car roof with his fists... shouting "go back to your own @#£&@# country... " I did the next day

Thats it,
Finished up in Sandford in Florida one night when we were travelling around birding, was a bit concerned about the red Mazda MX6 we were travelling around in but they probably thought we were part of the scene ..that was a bad place..the motel was being used as a brothel and drug centre.
D.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jaylee Strangely, the mother in law hasn't been seen in a while ... Only joking, but it might be described as a heart felt wish lol.
Last heard saying to Lauren (MrsBRS) "Why on earth did you marry him"...
I didn't hear the answer, thankfully!

I have to admit, if don't do the "green finger" stuff.
I mostly deal with the "hardware" & the hedge maintenance & grass..

Spring seems to have sprung early in your neck of the woods.
I got a few budding leafs, but not much happening with our shrubs, just yet..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Took Arthur for a gallop around the undulating hills of Bath this morning and bumped into someone I hadn't seen for ages.

Turns out she is diabetic too, been diagnosed for a couple of years. Asked her how she's managing and the answer floored me. " I eat what I want and if I overdo it, I just dose up on Metformin or other tabs".

The stupidity not to mention disrespect for the care team who will be doing their best blew my brain...

Whilst I completely agree with your attitude to the method and deplore the lack of thought for her care team. I can see the reasons. Others I have met articulated a variety of reasons . Calling them excuses is judgemental. Common one is I couldn't do that. If it was Carnivore, or even high fat, or nothing, I'd say me too. A high red meat diet will always challenge me and I'll fail - purely on taste and texture. If T2 is progressive why go to all that trouble? is also quite common. I'm taking medication so it will be ok is another. A more subtle one comes from those who read around a little and see the remission rate from lc is 40% ish? (on a generous interpretation of remission) then say why bother with those odds? As with COVID vaccination refusal, there are some who will never be reached. Hate the sin, love the sinner seems to be all one can do. We're in a little bubble of believers here the world outside is quite sceptical.
Edit: I could never tell anyone the swaps work for me that would be a monster lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRSBRI

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I have to admit, if don't do the "green finger" stuff.
I mostly deal with the "hardware" & the hedge maintenance & grass..

Spring seems to have sprung early in your neck of the woods.
I got a few budding leafs, but not much happening with our shrubs, just yet..
Have to admit MrsBRS cheats a bit and we get them planted in from a guy she's dealt with for years and there's heating elements in the ground. I get to do some tidying and she tinkers with the rest...

I did clean the decking;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to admit MrsBRS cheats a bit and we get them planted in from a guy she's dealt with for years and there's heating elements in the ground. I get to do some tidying and she tinkers with the rest...

I did clean the decking;)

Funny enough, the plan today is clean the outside of the conservatory. (Roof is a bit cruddy. Mainly the focus.)
Whilst I have the hose pipe out, hook up the pressure washer & do the van.
Then if there is enough time...? Some composite decking too..

Yer definitely an inspiration to get out & fill the green bin.. :)

With regards to the heating system in the garden, I think I'll allow Summer to bankroll that one.. ;)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning team.
HAPPY EASTER

Hugs for @Muddy Cyclist , can hear the angst.
And @karen8967 ouch, hope the jelly babies help.

Posted elsewhere about alcohol
Like a beer, so just checked my tolerance, rather unintentionally last night

Got pack of four, usually sit in fridge, might have one or two.

Lauren had a recipe for harissa paste chicken.
Not something I'd used before .
Nice meal, enjoyable evening
6.4 at 2 Hour point

So Had that one extra, just to check..;)

And yep, still an issue .got 6.9
FBG....is what it is

Sat watching top gear/Flintoff Katmandu trip

Not quite Clarkson quality, but jeez....:wideyed::woot:

The driving up mere ribbons of roads up the mountainside, looks real AND scary
.fair play, the lads.

Enjoy the day :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good afternoon and a Happy Easter to you all. (No fbs test this morning. No point as I woke with a good old fashioned sneezy cold so it's bound to be even higher than usual). Have a lovely day whatever you choose to do and make the most of this lovely sunshine.:happy:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

We are really lucky that we are 'in the know ' and also have the good sense to actually do something about it. Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky.

Maybe when your acquaintance starts to get side effects from her current regime she will research alternative ways to manage T2D.

I did have rather a wicked thought. Maybe you could send her the link to the Panorama programme on diabetes that aired a few years ago. I must admit it was harrowing viewing and I am still traumatised by the foot amputation section - especially as I was moving at breakneck speed towards that outcome - no matter how much insulin I injected.

I now get great joy from knowing that I am now at low risk and the neuropathy in that foot has completely disappeared.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
We are really lucky that we are 'in the know ' and also have the good sense to actually do something about it. Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky.

Maybe when your acquaintance starts to get side effects from her current regime she will research alternative ways to manage T2D.

I did have rather a wicked thought. Maybe you could send her the link to the Panorama programme on diabetes that aired a few years ago. I must admit it was harrowing viewing and I am still traumatised by the foot amputation section - especially as I was moving at breakneck speed towards that outcome - no matter how much insulin I injected.

I now get great joy from knowing that I am now at low risk and the neuropathy in that foot has completely disappeared.
I haven't seen the episode, but I'm in a cold sweat nonetheless...

If you manage the condition with fitness, diet and a holistic outlook certainly T2s can make a massive difference to their lives IMHO .

And well done you too!!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Good afternoon and a Happy Easter to you all. (No fbs test this morning. No point as I woke with a good old fashioned sneezy cold so it's bound to be even higher than usual). Have a lovely day whatever you choose to do and make the most of this lovely sunshine.:happy:
And the very same to you! It's blue as blue can be and nice in the big yellow ball making a rare guest appearance!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Thats it,
Finished up in Sandford in Florida one night when we were travelling around birding, was a bit concerned about the red Mazda MX6 we were travelling around in but they probably thought we were part of the scene ..that was a bad place..the motel was being used as a brothel and drug centre.
D.

Is that the place outside Orlando with an airport the charters aim for?

I was in Jacksonville once, with a colleague many moons ago who worked for Sun in Milpitas funnily enough when Java was the thaaang and this dude sits besides us with a toothpick in his teeth and whispered menicingly "you ain't from here are ya"...

U S of A is a country of stark contrasts and it's not getting any better

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I'd like to thank Covid-19 for ruining airline schedules this weekend. Under inordinate pressure to travel tomorrow via New York, Atlanta, Chicago or LA. Even via Dublin to the East Coast and onwards. I said no. "But your kids are grown up and your partner has a demanding role in a hospital..."

Told them, if you want that after me being 22 days away, send a bizjet to Bristol and fly me direct. The answer we can video most of it in prep then came

As it is, I leave home Tuesday at 1pm to go to Paddington, then Heathrow to stay over before rising at 0400 to catch a Paris connector. At least the hotel is a 5 min walk to the check desks and I am in the big seats...

The office is practically deserted but design work in this instance has to be in person.

I think a glass of wine is needed

Hope you're all having a fantabulous sunny day!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fabulous day. A bit breezy. Lifeboat crew doing their Sunday practice drills, the chicks were all over them.

upload_2021-4-4_16-10-16.jpeg

upload_2021-4-4_16-9-58.jpeg

upload_2021-4-4_16-9-43.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
Is that the place outside Orlando with an airport the charters aim for?

I was in Jacksonville once, with a colleague many moons ago who worked for Sun in Milpitas funnily enough when Java was the thaaang and this dude sits besides us with a toothpick in his teeth and whispered menicingly "you ain't from here are ya"...

U S of A is a country of stark contrasts and it's not getting any better

We flew into Orlando airport proper in the 90s. We were crossing from the West coast to East coast and going to the Merrit Island reserve near Cape Canaveral.

I see its still a crime ridden small town.

When I was in Milpitas I was on a Varian Linac course.
They were a very mixed group some Americans were very nice people, I didnt like the way a certain ethnic group on the course were making a real job of cleaning their tubes out in class and using the waste basket as a spitoon! :)
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm and BRSBRI