urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Morning all, how are you today @urbanracer?
Thanks for the reminder about the mod vote @SueJB

Morning all, have a good weekend yourself @karen8967.

@urbanracer how are you doing? hopefully felling better?

Thanks for asking. Had around 48hrs on high dose intravenous antibiotics but still it hasn't calmed down.

So I'm due to go under the knife today, small incision and squeeze all the gunk out. (Yuk) Then back on antibiotics and discharged (hopefully) on Monday.

Signed the consent form and the warning that I could lose the thumb if it doesn't heal properly. Eek.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a search for moderator voting and failed to find it. Bah! I did see, though, that there are twice as many robots checked in right now than members - ok, own up, which of you’s a robot? You’re not allowed to call yourself one if you still have a human brain as well as the cyber sensors, apps and pumps.
I'm sorry @Fairygodmother , we're really not allowed to disclose if we're human or not.

And here's the voting thread :)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-elections-2021-voting-open.181078/

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking. Had around 48hrs on high dose intravenous antibiotics but still it hasn't calmed down.

So I'm due to go under the knife today, small incision and squeeze all the gunk out. (Yuk) Then back on antibiotics and discharged (hopefully) on Monday.

Signed the consent form and the warning that I could lose the thumb if it doesn't heal properly. Eek.

Hope all goes well.

Reactions: urbanracer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Argh, really hope the squeezing works. If I weren’t feeling lightheaded after the second dose of AZ I’d be doing a healing dance for you, and all T1s who feed an infection with high-sugared blood.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just 1hr and back on the ward eating toast and drinking coffee. Suitable amount of morphine applied and feeling pretty chipper at the moment.

1 doctor told me there was "a lot of muck inside" my thumb. Might even be going home tomorrow but as usual there seems to be bit of confusion about the discharge time.

Only one visitor per patient per day and time slot has to be booked. Looking forward to a visit from Mrs Urb' at 6pm.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@urbanracer I'm glad you get a visitor. Very uplifting to the spirit! So many places here aren't allowing it still. I hope draining the majority of the infection will help it heal faster and take you over the hump of getting better! Lots of hugs and best wishes your way!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Hope all went well. Had to do similar whilst traveling round south India back in the late 1990s on my index finger.
I was litteraly watching the puss crawl past my knuckles & up the side of my finger by the hour?
Bottled water, Dettol & a lancet. The old yellow type lancet. I never bothered with the pricker, just drove them in by hand when testing?.

A lot of yellow gunk squeezed then the skin dried & peeled leaving fresh underneath.

Odd, because the last time I had something like that was on my thumb as a 7year old not long before I was diagnosed?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take care @urbanracer and I hope you're able to get home tomorrow, and it heals up quickly. Glad you were able to have a visitor, still not allowed in my local hospital, but it makes such a difference, especially if you're in for a while (obviously not applicable in your case).
Hope you manage to get some sleep, before they probably wake you to give you pain relief to help you sleep!! Sending hugs.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The stars must be aligned wrong. I just got back from hospital emergency. The dogs were playing and running around outside and the new one ran right into my knee. Ouch!!!!!! I went flying as it was like someone pushed my legs out from under me. I thought I wasn't going to be able to even stand back up at first. A huge lump on my knee and my ribs were killing me. So when my hubby came home a trip to emergency and some x rays on my knee and ribs. Nothing seems broken, but he thinks I might have torn some soft tissue in my knee and bruised my ribs or displaced tissue there too.

They gave me a really nice knee brace with metal supports in a very cushiony mid calf to thigh brace. What an improvement from years ago. New crutches, a manual breathing machine because my ribs hurt and they want to make sure I still take some deep breathes. And see my doctor in a week for a follow up.

And what bugs me the most lol????? I won't be able to ride my exercise bike or snorkel for probably at least a couple of weeks. You better believe I will be testing the bike out as soon as I think I can! I want to get on it now but I can't even bend my knee, sigh.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The stars must be aligned wrong. I just got back from hospital emergency. The dogs were playing and running around outside and the new one ran right into my knee. Ouch!!!!!! I went flying as it was like someone pushed my legs out from under me. I thought I wasn't going to be able to even stand back up at first. A huge lump on my knee and my ribs were killing me. So when my hubby came home a trip to emergency and some x rays on my knee and ribs. Nothing seems broken, but he thinks I might have torn some soft tissue in my knee and bruised my ribs or displaced tissue there too.

They gave me a really nice knee brace with metal supports in a very cushiony mid calf to thigh brace. What an improvement from years ago. New crutches, a manual breathing machine because my ribs hurt and they want to make sure I still take some deep breathes. And see my doctor in a week for a follow up.

And what bugs me the most lol????? I won't be able to ride my exercise bike or snorkel for probably at least a couple of weeks. You better believe I will be testing the bike out as soon as I think I can! I want to get on it now but I can't even bend my knee, sigh.
Oh no big hugs marie2 x

Reactions: Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @urbanracer hope you've woken up feeling better. I'm trying really, really hard not to make jokes about thumbs up for a quick recovery though really hope it is.

@Marie 2 dogs of the right size - your dobie would be one, mine's another - are just the right size for crashing into knees. Not funny at all, especially if they also manage to send you flying, and you get a double whammy. For some unknown reason, never done it before, mine decided to to run between my legs from the front when we were on a walk last week. That would've been okay if she hadn't decided to twist halfway through, so she shoved me in the back of the knee so I fell over. Fortunately a slow descent on to soft long grass, so nothing really injured, just jarred. Please don't push things too soon on the exercise bike!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all. That’s just not fair of fate or the dog @Marie 2. Glad there’s nothing broken and hope any pain can be fixed with whatever you take in Hawaii. Tylenol? Here it’d be paracetamol.
I think I’ll be out with the hose along the veg bed today, we’ve not had rain for ages now and the newly planted seeds need some very selective watering. I feel guilty about doing it but there’s just not enough in the waterbutt to go round. Begone guilt, there’s too much of it in a T1 life anyway, and if the seeds grow there’ll be food to eat that saves on the CO2 of transportation. You can see how my internal persuasion’s trying to work.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you been given your marching orders yet @urbanracer? If not then you need to give that thumb of yours, and your immune responses, a good talking to. Hope your blood sugars are smiling to show the infection’s diminished.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you been given your marching orders yet @urbanracer? If not then you need to give that thumb of yours, and your immune responses, a good talking to. Hope your blood sugars are smiling to show the infection’s diminished.

No not yet. The doc did his rounds this morning, and wants to keep me on intravenous injections for another 24 hrs.

Edit:- Woke up hypo this morning at 3.8, something which never usually happens to me.
Most of the ward staff are carers (as opposed to nurses) and seem to do diabetes-by-the-numbers. There's zero appreciation for all the things we have to take into account and the spoonful of magic dust that is required for management of T1.

The catering is pretty decent overall and a vast improvement from when my (now late) mother was in and out of here several times during her final years. BUT they boast 'alternative menus' for texture modified food, cultural, GF, milk free, children etc, and nothing that is for diabetics or that indicates the carb values in meals. So flying blind and relying on experience when I have the plate in front of me.

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry @Marie 2. Hope you can get relief from the pain, and hubby is looking after you well. It all happens so quickly sometimes. Take care.
I remember when our dog did a running jump up at my mum on the beach, placing both paws on my mum's shoulders, and sent her flying backwards. Didn't know whether to help my mum or catch the dog first. Helped my mum, who was shaken and bruised, but otherwise fortunately ok, and the dog got a good telling off. She knew she'd been naughty, as before I said a word, she came back with that look on her face as if to say 'oh oh, I've really done it today'.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No not yet. The doc did his rounds this morning, and wants to keep me on intravenous injections for another 24 hrs.

Edit:- Woke up hypo this morning at 3.8, something which never usually happens to me.
Most of the ward staff are carers (as opposed to nurses) and seem to do diabetes-by-the-numbers. There's zero appreciation for all the things we have to take into account and the spoonful of magic dust that is required for management of T1.

The catering is pretty decent overall and a vast improvement from when my (now late) mother was in and out of here several times during her final years. BUT they boast 'alternative menus' for texture modified food, cultural, GF, milk free, children etc, and nothing that is for diabetics or that indicates the carb values in meals. So flying blind and relying on experience when I have the plate in front of me.

Hi Urb,

Good to hear from you. Are they not allowing you to manage your own "affairs" in there..?

I remember seeing some chap years ago in the bed next to my dad on a visit sorting his pens & wot not out. This nurse showed up & took the lot away...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I hope Mrs Urb packed a load of jelly babies with your kit when she bought it in. I remember having to tot all the carb up when it was in font of me when I had a knee replacement not all that long ago and there being very little to choose from that wasn’t high sugar, high fat: you’d think carbohydrate content would have been added to the requirements given to the caterers with all the people with diabetes who end up on the Wards..... oh, that could be why so many end up there. By numbers is right. One poor nurse thought my sensor (self funded back then) was one of the ones that’d been stuck on pre op and I had to apologise profusely to her about the shriek when she made to rip it off. Sensors are too new a tech for most, and I suspect successful self-governing diabetes management is rare. Reform is needed!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Urb,

Good to hear from you. Are they not allowing you to manage your own "affairs" in there..?

I remember seeing some chap years ago in the bed next to my dad on a visit sorting his pens & wot not out. This nurse showed up & took the lot away...

They initially locked my stuff in the cupboard above my bed, but at the 1st mealtime I asked a different nurse if I could have my insulin and nobody tried to take it back. Silly.

So yes I am mostly managing my own affairs but I'm on a reduced carb diet at home and here you are not in Matron's good books if you don't eat 3 carby meals a day. And without knowing the carb values, I am struggling a bit. I got a lasagne very wrong yesterday and ended up at 15mmol.

Before the op' they designated me nil-by-mouth from 2am, 2 nights in a row. I asked what I'm supposed to do if I go hypo when I'm NBM and the nurse said she would ask the doctor but I never did get an answer.

They managed me on a sliding scale for a few hours before the actual op which was all new to me.

I have been placed on the Orthopedic ward and I was the only bloke who was mobile. The others all have problems with legs/feet and need assistance. For my last night I have been moved into an isolation room so that they could give my spot to somebody else who needs assistance. It's a bit lonely as there's nobody to talk to but on the other hand, I can do what I like food/insulin wise.