What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A quick question for the knowledgable cooks on here ( looking at you @maglil55 )
If I’m using aubergine as a substitute for potatoes in a layered dish like lasagne ( in this case it’s a haddock and Jarlsberg gratin) should I bake the aubergine slices on their own first or will it be ok just to slice and layer them in the dish raw?
TIA
I like them best if I put the slices in the oven with a drop olive oil first, half-done aubergine is very yuck to me. Not sure for how long, as I usually do this while preparing other parts of the dish so I just feel every once in a while if they're soft already.
Theoretically you can use a frying pan too, but I've never gotten the hang of that: either burnt or all soggy with the absorbed frying oil. Or both. So I've given up on pan-frying aubergine.

edit: A haddock and Jarlsberg gratin sounds amazing, I think it will work very well with the aubergine!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like them best if I put the slices in the oven with a drop olive oil first, half-done aubergine is very yuck to me. Not sure for how long, as I usually do this while preparing other parts of the dish so I just feel every once in a while if they're soft already.
Theoretically you can use a frying pan too, but I've never gotten the hang of that: either burnt or all soggy with the absorbed frying oil. Or both. So I've given up on pan-frying aubergine.

edit: A haddock and Jarlsberg gratin sounds amazing, I think it will work very well with the aubergine!

Thank you! I felt it might be better to bake it with a bit of oil first too. I’ll report back later with a photo if it goes well.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well an interesting day on the road
Breakfast 2 poached eggs and bacon
4 × skim milk coffees
Take team to celebratory lunch
Chicken ceaser no croutons
One red wine
Take Manager to dinner.
200 gram fillet steak
Desert affregatto (ooh)
4 x red wine
Day total 2500 calories
Calories used 3700 (14km walking)
Interesting to see fbg in the morning

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Breakfast: a few mixed berries and yoghurt and 1 slice of seeded wholemeal toast
Lunch: 1/2 pot of Asda tomato and mascarpone soup (18g carbs) and 2 ryvita
Chicken leg with simple salad, dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Struggled during lockdown and now getting back on track with the low carb. Has been two weeks now and feeling so much better and have renewed my motivation for cooking. Good to see what others are doing and getting more ideas.

Onlinecaroline

Had breakfast today as I woke up peckish. 3 eggs and butter mashed in a cup.

Lunch - Some M and S pate (which wasn’t to my taste unfortunately) with the new M and S seed crackers. 2 babybel, a chunk of smoked sausage, sugar free jelly.

Dinner - Aubergine Lasagne followed by a cuppa and a DGF Brookline.

A full food day but still under 25g hopefully.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: salmon fillets with peppercorn sauce, and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @julie56 I’m glad you are managing to get back on track after lockdown struggles, you’re not alone in that.
@muzza3 great choices considering your busy working day.
My food today-
B: spoonful of Fage yoghurt with a couple of raspberries and a few pumpkin seeds.
L: late and I was getting over hungry, but still had shopping to do, bought a small pot of olives, few roast chicken slices and an individual pot of Brazil nuts from Morrison’s.
Dinner was https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/haddock-jarlsberg-gratin/amp modified to low carb. I used celeriac instead of the potatoes in the end ( not aubergine Id originally thought to do) and fewer onions. It was delicious and I’d thoroughly recommend it. Forgot to take a photo but it looked like the picture in the link.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with chia seeds and strawberries
L: pate with lc soda bread, ff greek with chia and strawberries
D: lamb kofta with grilled haloumi and cavolo Nero cabbage. Rhubarb jelly with cream.

Reactions: muzza3 and maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 0% fat Fage greek yoghurt with half of a raspberry & coconut DGF crumbled up and raspberries on top too.

Dinner - 1 chicken breast with piri piri sauce and a large salad. 1 DGF Notella with double cream drizzled over the top

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Welcome @julie56 I’m glad you are managing to get back on track after lockdown struggles, you’re not alone in that.
@muzza3 great choices considering your busy working day.
My food today-
B: spoonful of Fage yoghurt with a couple of raspberries and a few pumpkin seeds.
L: late and I was getting over hungry, but still had shopping to do, bought a small pot of olives, few roast chicken slices and an individual pot of Brazil nuts from Morrison’s.
Dinner was https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/haddock-jarlsberg-gratin/amp modified to low carb. I used celeriac instead of the potatoes in the end ( not aubergine Id originally thought to do) and fewer onions. It was delicious and I’d thoroughly recommend it. Forgot to take a photo but it looked like the picture in the link.
Thanks @DJC3
5.7 this morning so not too bad

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A quick question for the knowledgable cooks on here ( looking at you @maglil55 )
If I’m using aubergine as a substitute for potatoes in a layered dish like lasagne ( in this case it’s a haddock and Jarlsberg gratin) should I bake the aubergine slices on their own first or will it be ok just to slice and layer them in the dish raw?
TIA
I fry them in a frying pan with a little olive oil. I also tend to slice them, put them on kitchen towel, salt them and leave them for a while. It draws liquid out. Rinse under a cold tap and pat dry.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They were sold out at 1 min past 7 last week. However I managed to order a box on Friday and thought I might do a small piece with some greek yoghurt (not cream) & raspberries for a healthier spring/summer breakfast for a change and eh I have ordered a box of notella too and I will be having not so healthy cream with those ones. Honestly, at the moment these are like my "fix" I can't wait for Tuesday for them to arrive they really cheer me up these days (I am still job hunting ...). Did you just have yours with a cuppa or any other ideas?
Just with a cuppa so far but I suspect warmed, add a few fresh raspberries, dollop of cream would add even more to their deliciousness.

Max68

Hi all, sorry haven't been on for a while. Was just a quick message to say thanks for all the support. After my HBA1c jumped up from 51 to 70 between July 20 and Feb 21 I had another check this week and it has dropped to 59 thanks to your support in helping me drop my carb intake and also doing my daily walk. It's far from perfect but if I've managed to get it down by 11 in just under three months I know I can get it down by at least another 11 by August. Hoped for better but at least it hasn't gone up! Know I can do better so onwards and upwards. Thanks again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’m in the UK, the porridge is from a company called The Brave Ape. I’m not good at adding links sorry! The keto slimfast cones in a tub and from Boots, Superdrug, Tesco’s or Asda. I only get it when it’s on offer! And I usually have a shake at weekends to mix things up breakfast wise, I find i get too bored if the same thing that’s when I look to eat things that aren’t the best for me!
Here's a link. They have a good selection and the price is pretty good for 8 portions per pack.

https://www.braveape.co/collections/all

Reactions: Mrs T 123

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mrs A2, what pate do you have? Is it a certain brand?
The absolute best bought pate from a supermarket is this one from sainsburys. It's out of stock on the online shop currently but they usually have it in store.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...s:gb/groceries/pate-pate--fruity-chicken-120g

It's only 1.6g carbs per serving and it is the closest to home made pate I have ever tasted. They also do a duck pate and a salmon one. Not keen on the duck but the salmon one is excellent too.