What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had breakfast today to try to stop inexorable rise in BG through the morning. 50g ham and 2 fried eggs. BG didn’t rise, but nor did it fall all day, stuck at around 6, still is. At least no meal spikes so that’s good.
Lunch: for the life of me I can’t remember!
Dinner was beautiful sea bream baked ‘en papillote’ with roast garlic, rosemary, chilli, white wine and olive oil. Served with roast veg and a glass of white wine. Few raspberries and 100% chocolate drops afterwards.

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will update you on the exciting filled tomatoes, provided they turn out to be edible. :D
As promised, and very edible indeed!
It all started this morning, with the weather being so nice I decided to go feed my various pets barefoot. Not only did I sink ankle-deep in the mud in the guinea-pig pen, I also got sneakily attacked by nettles in the rabbit pen.
In my defence, I feed my animals before I have coffee, so decision making is not at it's best, and it's not that strange to forget to watch for nettles when you're used to thick knitted socks and wooden shoes for your morning rounds.

Morning adventures led to plotting revenge on the nettles, and a glorious revenge it turned out to be!
Eggs, mayo, onion, the last surimi stick from the freezer (there were 2 but I gave the other one to the cats and dogs), some herbs and spices and LOTS of finely chopped nettle leaves make a very yummy filling for tomatoes!

I also learned that if you make a dish with raw nettles right after picking them, you best wait for a bit before tasting unless you like a tingly tongue :hilarious:. Just wait an hour and the sting will be gone from the nettles, no problem :)
The rest of the halloumi and some beans with butter and salt to go with the tomatoes.

185830242_10223489742866058_6789091383266277928_n.jpg

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Riva_Roxaban - I can think of more appetising days. Hope it all goes well. @MrsA2 - hope you are feeling better & @PenguinMum how are you after Jab 2?

I'm a wee bit behind again - Sunday bed 6.2 FBG 5.7.

B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing. Had the boys at their swimming class. Eldest increased his time in the pool by another 7 1/2 mins. Baffled me at first until I realised he was 15 mins away from the full lesson so he was spreading the increase over 2 weeks. It seems my lessons on division are having an effect!
D. Usual Campari and soda. Still trying to reduce freezer content so we had lamb leg steaks from the freezer. I had one of my addicted to broccoli/cauliflower souffle things and mixed veggies from the freezer. Also mint sauce. Still on freezer , a grenade ice cream bar.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't seem to have much enthusiasm for food lately
Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with cheese and a bit of ham. Some ff greek and nuts and half a pear
Mid afternoon migraine.Was it the pear or a whole morning on the computer?
Meal 2 : some cheddar, some brie and some manchego with 8 olives.

Hubby then presented me with a macaron "as a treat" :banghead: It wasn't even a nice one, just tasted of stale powdery sugar and probably cost him a fortune

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 6.1 FBG also 6.1 @DJC3 I really need my eyes tested again. I read your post as "Breakfast then a drizzly dog"!

B. Back on the school run again. TAG and a SLC sandwich with liver sausage and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - afternoon home schooling and I wasn't very organised.
D. Yet more freezer stuff. I had a spicy burger with a SLC roll and edam cheese slices. Hubby made me some celeriac chips. Had to have another grenade ice cream bar otherwise I'll be drinking them! Freezer has yet more internal stalactites. Fingers crossed all the parts arrive Thursday.

Tuesday bed 5.6 FBG 6.2

B. TAG and SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing. Too involved with afternoon home schooling. Today's first lesson I came up with was mummifying. Grandson was slightly concerned as I'd given him an instruction sheet for the actual mummifying process and he feared I'd acquired a dead rodent. He was relieved to find we are mummifying apples. The pips are the internal organs and we will be making Canopic jars out of Actimel bottles.
D. Sea Bass - the one with the lemon oil from Morrisons (yet another extraction from the freezer) and the remains of the celeriac chips.
Anothe grenade ice cream bar. I've now moved them in beside the stalactites as at least it's a frozen solid area.

The mummies to be before being encased in home made natron
20210511_125730.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I read your post as "Breakfast then a drizzly dog"!
First snigger. Also sounds like something happening in my household, even if I'm not sure what a drizzly dog actually is.
Grandson was slightly concerned as I'd given him an instruction sheet for the actual mummifying process
Lost in stitches! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Please keep us updated on how your apples fare!
Also very curious as to what the instruction sheet says. I feel a sudden urge to mummify things. When I finally visit the UK I might want to join your grandson in one of your homeschooling sessions :playful:.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First snigger. Also sounds like something happening in my household, even if I'm not sure what a drizzly dog actually is.

Lost in stitches! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Please keep us updated on how your apples fare!
Also very curious as to what the instruction sheet says. I feel a sudden urge to mummify things. When I finally visit the UK I might want to join your grandson in one of your homeschooling sessions :playful:.
He did point out I didn't have a dead body nor did I have water from the Nile. The "mummies" will be getting their first size/weight check on Monday. I still have another experiment on the go about the movement of the sun but we've been unable to complete it as we need sun!! Not rain, sleet, hailstones.....
IMG-20210511-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210511-WA0002.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday bed 5.6 FBG 5.9.

@Mrs T 123 - I got an email to say that my order was dispatched today. I checked and was a little concerned to see they'd reached Peterborough. However, they arrived safely this morning (Thursday).

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with last of the liver sausage and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - entire afternoon was working on decimals to rid him of his horror of them. We got through the most work ever!
D. Still on freezer food - pork escalope, final portion of celeriac made into chips, fried egg on top. Yet another grenade ice cream bar. Back to them being so frozen they need to thaw a bit before you can eat them.

Ice maker has now stopped totally.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
He did point out I didn't have a dead body nor did I have water from the Nile. The "mummies" will be getting their first size/weight check on Monday. I still have another experiment on the go about the movement of the sun but we've been unable to complete it as we need sun!! Not rain, sleet, hailstones.....
Those instructions are brilliant! I do get your grandsons concern now though :hilarious:
I hope the weather will allow you to do the experiment with the sun shortly :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We both had our second Pfizer on Tues. fine on the day. Following day, yesterday, we were exhausted and slept in the afternoon. I had a very sore arm but its fine today. I have elevated BG and expect that will continue until I reach full immunity in about 2 weeks. Am wearing a Libre which is useful for showing trends but useless compared to meter testing. Big disparity.
Today had my slice of HiLo toast and tea despite v high FBG. Lunch was two cherry toms, bit cucumber, spoon coleslaw with grated cheese on top and small bit M&S quiche Lorraine with crust cut off.
Supper will be Chunky fish fingers with broccoli.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday (May 12th)

Breakfast: 0% Greek yogurt with berries, black coffee
Lunch (12pm): Sweet peppers stuffed with ground beef "sloppy joe" and topped with cheese (all homemade)
Snack (3pm): Atkins protein bar
Dinner (6pm): Pan fried sliced pork belly with fondant potatoes and a light lager (a planned indulgence)
Evening Snack (10pm) - Nothing

Walked 3.65km for a YTD total of 589.47km

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: mushroom, cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
l: salad leaves with olives, a sour pickle, cheese and 2 slices salami. Soem ff greek.
D: fish cooked on top of mushrooms, courgette and cauliflower with double cream (boys had chips as well)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Leftover nettle/egg stuff in chicory leaves, again with beans and halloumi :hungry:.
I topped my chicory boats with some extra mayo to make it taste a little less 'healthy' and added smoked paprika mainly to make it look pretty :)

I still have some beans left, and half a pack of halloumi, so I'll need to think of what to have with that tomorrow.

Can someone tell me the proper name for these beans, and for the other (shorter, round and darker green) green coloured beans? Or do they interchangeably go by the names green beans or string beans?

185274014_10223496722200537_2399360284330997940_n.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone tell me the proper name for these beans, and for the other (shorter, round and darker green) green coloured beans? Or do they interchangeably go by the names green beans or string beans?
I'd call those flatter green beans 'runner beans' or 'string beans'. The shorter more rounded ones id call 'green beans' or 'French beans' or 'finger beans' or 'dwarf beans'. All names more or less interchangeable. The seed companies list hundreds of varieties. I don't think they'd be offended whatever you call them.
Do they have different names in Dutch?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd call those flatter green beans 'runner beans' or 'string beans'. The shorter more rounded ones id call 'green beans' or 'French beans' or 'finger beans' or 'dwarf beans'. All names more or less interchangeable. The seed companies list hundreds of varieties. I don't think they'd be offended whatever you call them.
Do they have different names in Dutch?
Ah, it's as confusing as I feared!
The flat ones I ate today are snijbonen, the shorter round ones are sperziebonen (and if they are thinner and three times as expensive they're suddenly called haricots verts, fitting with your french beans I think). Then there is kouseband, the very long variety, well known from our former colony of Suriname, and I also love peultjes (snow peas) and sugar snaps, which I suppose are sugar snaps in both our languages.
I love tuinbonen (broad beans?) as well, but you only eat the peas from those, not the thing surrounding them.

I cant wrap my head around the interchangable names of the flat and the round ones, they taste completely different!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then our family name for any really fresh bean cooked just al dente is 'squeaky beans" ;)

Reactions: valuator

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
He did point out I didn't have a dead body nor did I have water from the Nile. The "mummies" will be getting their first size/weight check on Monday. I still have another experiment on the go about the movement of the sun but we've been unable to complete it as we need sun!! Not rain, sleet, hailstones.....View attachment 49390View attachment 49391

Brilliant!

Been quite off colour for a day or so, so food hasn't been very prominent in my mind. Felt pretty bad this morning as well, but am picking up now and I think I might eat a full day's food today.

Started with bacon and egg, around 11 am.
Just had a sweet to bring my BG up - it was down to 4.3.
I will be having braised cabbage and carrot with a pork loin steak later.

Neil went to the shops yesterday but came back with hardly anything from the list - some veggies, but, for example whereas I had asked for either beef, lamb or turkey mince, he came back with pork mince; I asked for lamb chops but he didn't bring anything other than the pork mince. This happens sometimes - he must have been exposed to something that he can't tolerate. It doesn't being him out in a rash, but it changes his personality and thought processes. I can actually see it happening to him and it makes me wonder if his aspergers has something to do with allergies/intolerances. Anyway, feeling like it or not, this morning I had to go to the pharmacy and the local shop myself, to see if I could fill any of the gaps (hence the pork loin steaks). For the rest I shall have to wait until next week now.

Maglil, your grandson seems to be doing so well with you tutoring him. I was watching over Em yesterday doing her homework and I was astonished to see the very basic stuff she was doing and (because she can do so much more) trying to keep her focussed on doing it. I wonder if the school is holding pupils back to let others catch up, or even just marking time until the new school year begins. She is definitely not being stretched at all. Unfortunately, she has now found "Roblox" and would rather play it than do anything else.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday (May 13th)

Breakfast (9am): 0% Greek yogurt with berries, black coffee
Lunch (12pm): Sweet peppers stuffed with ground beef "sloppy joe" and topped with cheese (second day in a row)
Snack (3pm): Nothing to eat, black coffee
Dinner (6pm): Grilled pork rib chops with coleslaw
Evening Snack (10pm) - 1/4 cups peanuts and a light lager

Walked 8.59km for a YTD total of 598.06km

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins double chocolate bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: cold roast chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork crispy strips followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.