Breakfast cereal

Stevefranky

Since being diagnosed 18 months ago with type 2 diabetes I have only been on diet control and since being diagnosed I have been having weetabix for breakfast one with natural yogurt and i have been ok but last couple of days my bloods have spiked after having it. What else do people suggest I take cereal as I am out in my truck early in the mornings any suggestions would be most grateful.

Reactions: jos64

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold meats, cheese, hard boiled eggs or nothing?
I just have coffee with cream until mid afternoon.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I have been having weetabix for breakfast
Hiyah! The previous advice is good. However I’ve got some concerns: Why wheetabix? Do you know the % of Carbs in Wheetabix? Have a look on the box. Whilst there take a note of the Sugars too! I’ve gotta ask what is a “Spike” by you, and what have been your numbers at the time of diagnosis?

Glad to see yah here.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How about unsweetened Greek yoghurt with berries (either fresh or microwaved frozen)? Yummy and lower carb than weetabix.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have noticed adverts for cereals have changed in the last few years.
Something like shredded wheat, special k, were deemed healthy and really good for you. The worst is rice crispies, and weetabix is not far off, they are not healthy for diabetics. If you add on the milk, the amount of carbs and sugar, never mind the production sugars and additives, like oils and whatever is in the mix. It's no wonder you have started spiking.
Why not boil some eggs the night before?
Cooked fresh meat?
Cheese?

And many more.

Keep safe.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiyah! The previous advice is good. However I’ve got some concerns: Why wheetabix? Do you know the % of Carbs in Wheetabix? Have a look on the box. Whilst there take a note of the Sugars too! I’ve gotta ask what is a “Spike” by you, and what have been your numbers at the time of diagnosis?

Glad to see yah here.
Personally I'd ignore the "of which sugars" and just count the carbs in total.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb scotch eggs, made the days or so before needed, and possibly frozen as a batch or kept in the fridge?
https://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-scotch-eggs/

Pigs in blankets? cocktail sausages? kedgeree with cauli rice? asparagus wrapped in ham slices? chicken wings? Our Friday farmers market sells pork crackling and pork scratchings. With a bit of planning and a modicum of home cooking, you can ring the changes effectively. The berries + yoghurt is one that many here use instead of cereal

I would suggest a Victorian cookery book is a source of ideas, since the staff prepared the breakfast the night before and did a cold buffet in the morning even in the posh houses and guest houses And this was in the days before fridges and freezers. Anybody remember 'Futtocks End'?

Last but not least, although not a keto LC source, I find Aldi carries some single portion ready meals that just need a quick warmup in a microwave that might appeal? I use them sometimes and they do not freak my sugar levels out, but test with a meter to see if suitable for you. Take about 5 mins from chilled, and the advantage is that they are ccooked and eaten from the included tray that saves washing up after

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast and lunch can easily be the same... food is fuel doesn't matter when you eat it.
But the thing is not everyone feels like that, including me. I love food and I love cooking. Cooking has been a source of great comfort to me during the pandemic (and I have remained in remission). That being said I wouldn’t eat Weetabix. I’m now a fan of berries and Greek yoghurt, or just the yoghurt, for breakfast. Surprisingly satisfying for what seems like a light meal.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
But the thing is not everyone feels like that, including me. I love food and I love cooking. Cooking has been a source of great comfort to me during the pandemic (and I have remained in remission). That being said I wouldn’t eat Weetabix. I’m now a fan of berries and Greek yoghurt, or just the yoghurt, for breakfast. Surprisingly satisfying for what seems like a light meal.
Both positions can be satisfied, but it takes effort, either the day before or on the day. I think there is a direct correlation between the choices and diabetes remission / reversal / management.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Personally I'd ignore the "of which sugars" and just count the carbs in total.
OK, however the Carbs are almost 70%. I wouldn’t now touch ‘em with a Barge Pole.

@Stevefranky - I’m looking for something around 10 or 15 for breakfast. Remember, the latest Weetabix marketing is based on the Strength it gives “youngsters”. We don’t need or, if we’ve become Insulin resistant, typical of T2, can we deal with this amount of Carbs. I’ve gone LCHF and have brought my overnight fasting down from 18 in September 2018 to around 6 and 7 nowadays. Another thing I can’t eat is porridge or Museli. I’ve completely removed Pasta, Potatoes, Rice and Bread from my diet. As I said, you need to get some knowledge about what you eat and then the result, I use a Test Strip Kit. I’d be lost without.

@Stevefranky I’d strongly suggest you get some understanding of your background glucose using a Test Strip Kit.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe @Rachox makes low carb granola, which might be a good cereal substitute. Hopefully she’ll see this and give you the recipe!

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm lovely healthy nutritious Special K.
First of all ignore their suggested serving, a normal full bowl comes in around 100g, that 70gs of carbs plus the milk.
nutlabel-3182617_kelloggs-special-k-original-nutrition.png

Either way 70% of that lovely healthy cereal is going to turn into pure glucose in your bloodstream.
You'd be better off eating an Easter Egg.

My late father used say that the cardboard was better for you than what was in those Kellog's boxes.
Mind you he ate porridge all his life so what did he know.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, however the Carbs are almost 70%. I wouldn’t now touch ‘em with a Barge Pole.
Well, yes... That's kind of the point though. Carbs are the problem generally, counting those is what matters.

But it's a bit more subtle, test before and 2 hours after, and some foods impact people more than others. For some Weetabix and oats and other cereals may be okay. For others not. But in general, total carbs are a good guideline

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal
I made up my recipe for low carb granola. I have now made three different combinations, chocolate, vanilla and raspberry, chocolate and ginger. Here’s the recipes:

B03A9BD2-7031-459A-97A7-25766838183A.png

Reactions: Scimama

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can cook as many times you want per day.. why not have kippers for breakfast, omelette for lunch and a yummy steak for dinner.
However I stopped viewing food as reward or entertainment a while ago, by looking at it as fuel and nothing else it changes your entire relationship with it and enables you to "control" what you eat in a far easier way in my opinion.
It seems that many of us have undiscovered food addiction problems (mine used to be bread) and once that addiction is broken life becomes far easier. You don't have to stop doing things you like and enjoy but maybe do them less often (skip a meal say) and make them better.
Just my thoughts.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can cook as many times you want per day.. why not have kippers for breakfast, omelette for lunch and a yummy steak for dinner.
However I stopped viewing food as reward or entertainment a while ago, by looking at it as fuel and nothing else it changes your entire relationship with it and enables you to "control" what you eat in a far easier way in my opinion.
It seems that many of us have undiscovered food addiction problems (mine used to be bread) and once that addiction is broken life becomes far easier. You don't have to stop doing things you like and enjoy but maybe do them less often (skip a meal say) and make them better.
Just my thoughts.
But why do them them less often? I do regard food as entertainment and eating nice food as pleasure but not as reward. I probably didn’t make it clear that my cooking IS low carb. I find that planning and creating meals does help me to control what I eat.

Reactions: Oldvatr