DiabetesUK Recipe

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else see the DiabetesUK Facebook recipe post this morning? Raspberry frozen yoghurt, sounds nice.

Raspberries, yoghurt..and 50g sugar. Can't say I'm that surprised. They seem to have attracted a lot of justified flak. couple of posts are trying to defend the indefensible - along the lines of "if it's 11 portions it's less than 5g a portion". Yeah right.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is wrong with 5g of sugar in a portion? It is not an unreasonable amount if someone, like me, is eating around 80-100g of carbs a day. We are all different, our responses to carbs are different. As someone who is unable to tolerate artificial sweetners, a small amount of sugar like that is not an issue.

I dont get this demonising of all and every carb and telling people they have to stop every one or risk amputation or blindness.

For many, carb intake is a sliding scale, balancing several health issues and dietary needs The last thing we need it to be vilified for saying we have some carbs. its enough of a struggle as it is.

I will also point out that the recipe doesn't specify type 2 diabetics, It is for type 1 and other types as well.

I am all in favour of pointing out harmful advice, but this is petty and further pushes the NO CARBS or you are not doing it RIGHT agenda I find so often among some diabetics. This extreme view, which is often not even necessary, is harming the uptake of low carbing (I have heard this first hand with several discussions in real life with people). It puts people off trying before they even start, which is counterproductive.

Low carb is 130g or fewer of carbs a day. People should be guided by their meter readings.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must however be remembered that not all diabetics are type2 and of those who are type 2 not all need to restrict carbs to minimal amount anyway.
For me that recipe would cause no issues and only claims to have 4carbs per 100g (looking at their nutritional info page for it), would be perfectly fine for me :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else see the DiabetesUK Facebook recipe post this morning? Raspberry frozen yoghurt, sounds nice.

Raspberries, yoghurt..and 50g sugar. Can't say I'm that surprised. They seem to have attracted a lot of justified flak. couple of posts are trying to defend the indefensible - along the lines of "if it's 11 portions it's less than 5g a portion". Yeah right.

Hi,

Is there a link to the reference on the FB site?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve found the post and the recipe: https://www.facebook.com/diabetesuk/photos/a.10150174129820167/10165068600670167/?type=3

It’s not to my personal taste and I wouldn’t choose to eat it, but for those who are able to moderate intake of such foods, the portion size suggested, while small, does not involve large quantities of sugar or carbs per portion.

For clarification, that’s not an endorsement, rather a statement of fact. It’s important to remember that not all people with diabetes (of any type) manage it in the same way.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is wrong with 5g of sugar in a portion? It is not an unreasonable amount if someone, like me, is eating around 80-100g of carbs a day. We are all different, our responses to carbs are different. As someone who is unable to tolerate artificial sweetners, a small amount of sugar like that is not an issue.

I dont get this demonising of all and every carb and telling people they have to stop every one or risk amputation or blindness.

For many, carb intake is a sliding scale, balancing several health issues and dietary needs The last thing we need it to be vilified for saying we have some carbs. its enough of a struggle as it is.

I will also point out that the recipe doesn't specify type 2 diabetics, It is for type 1 and other types as well.

I am all in favour of pointing out harmful advice, but this is petty and further pushes the NO CARBS or you are not doing it RIGHT agenda I find so often among some diabetics. This extreme view, which is often not even necessary, is harming the uptake of low carbing (I have heard this first hand with several discussions in real life with people). It puts people off trying before they even start, which is counterproductive.

Low carb is 130g or fewer of carbs a day. People should be guided by their meter readings.
Exactly!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I happily eat yoghurt and raspberries, I can't think of any reason to add sugar, unless the constant bombardment of sugary and sweetened foods has made your taste perception go 'deaf'.
After over four years of low carb I am now finding that I can't eat normally sweetened things as they are too sickly sweet.
I used to use sugar free jellies, but then had to add more water and gelatine as they began to seem too sweet, and now I just use gelatine. I have found recipes for bread with 4 tablespoons of sweetener!!!
I do wonder - if the recipe is for 11 portions - is it for a family? I'd never contemplate leaving a fruit/yoghurt mix with added sugar for several days before eating it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want a recipe with sugar in it, there is a lot of choice already and probably millions of cookery websites carrying that info. I don't expect to see those recipes on websites catering for diabetics of all kinds. My beef is with the website, for not suggesting an alternative sweetener, or advising on omitting any sugar or sweetener altogether. I didn't go looking for it - Facebook in its wisdom decided it was relevant to me.

On the number of portions - why not claim it makes 20 portions and reduce the carbs per portion further? I certainly wouldn't have considered <100g of ice cream or frozen yoghurt to have been a proper portion.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A quick look at the other recipes and they all give you the sugar content ranging from quite low (3g) to high (45g), there’s also a wide range of carb options.

I really don’t see a problem with a diabetes website offering recipes to suit a wide range of diabetics. As adults we can decide whether we want to cook the food or avoid it. If you don’t like the recipe don’t use it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I want a recipe with sugar in it, there is a lot of choice already and probably millions of cookery websites carrying that info. I don't expect to see those recipes on websites catering for diabetics of all kinds. My beef is with the website, for not suggesting an alternative sweetener, or advising on omitting any sugar or sweetener altogether. I didn't go looking for it - Facebook in its wisdom decided it was relevant to me.

On the number of portions - why not claim it makes 20 portions and reduce the carbs per portion further? I certainly wouldn't have considered <100g of ice cream or frozen yoghurt to have been a proper portion.

Hi Kenny,

Yep I kind of see what you mean regarding the caster sugar being a little hot on the heels of the overall carb content?
5g in the portion looks like a hypo treatment to me..? (A slight nudge up.)

However, I feel that's life on the "tinternet" my friend.. (Cookies & wot not acumilated to make it all more "helpful" to the user browser experience. Lol, wrongly building up a profile in the assumption this "is" what you want.)
It's not realy relevant to me either.. I rarely do "desert."
But then neither is unwarrented recommendations for ED miraculous cures due to my happening to just be diabetic.
Socks to put on my "wish list." ;)
Or for that matter, more recomendations like HID car bulbs, car batteries, music equipment & cookers due to recent searches & or purchases..? :)

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat what you would call "tropical fruit" but it's locally grown for us here in the Wide Bay area, I manage my bgl only eating half a mango / dragon fruit etc with out doing my bgl in.

I have have a taste for fruit sorbet which has a high carb content but a spoonful every now and again is not going to break the bank out of my <120 grams a day.

I am not anti sugar / carb..

(Mod edit.)

Edited to make the grammar right after a mod edit. :meh:

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
While I personally feel that added sugar is completely unnecessary for my taste, I consider most food items to be 'low carb' if they come in at less than a maximum of 5gm carbs per 100gm. However my own body responds best to below 50gms carb per day - so this is just a quick rule of thumb and I do make exceptions chocolate for example.
There is no single 'right way' to do low carb apart from it being best to 'eat to your meter'.

Reactions: SaskiaKC