What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was a small amount of mince fried with s&p and chilli flakes. 2 fried eggs on top.
L: pack of Co-op King prawns marinated in chilli and garlic
D: chicken breast stuffed with smoked cheese and wrapped in bacon. Served with rocket and cherry tomato salad. Handful of Callebaut 100% cocoa mass buttons afterwards.
@Annb hugs for the the wheat reaction. Would gluten free black pudding or sausages be ok do you think?

I've asked Neil to look for gluten free sausages next time he goes to the shops for me. Tesco do have a "Free from" range which includes gluten free sausages but that may only be on the mainland. He already checked all the makes of black pudding he could find, but none were gluten or wheat free. I normally don't buy anything ready made because my system seems unable to tolerate so many things but I can't make decent sausages and I can't make black pudding. Once this blood test is done, I shall just have to eat more fish and forget the prepared foods.

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
L: 2 slices lc bread with cheeses and olives. A large swig of neat double cream as trying to clear fridge before going away (thats a good excuse)
Mid afternoon . Far too many almonds as left the packet within reach
D: salmon, 2 chipolata and red cabbage coleslaw
3 small glasses sparkling rose (first alcohol in several days as was on meds that said no, did enjoy it so!)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2x CWC, nut granola splash of milk.
CWC
Lunch Ham, toast, salad, cup of tea
Tea and biscuits in the afternoon.
Early evening drinks and nibbles with neighbours. No low carb options available except pistachio nuts, even though the host has T2.
Dinner. well not really a meal, one large sausage and another slice of toast. Have decided I don't like that bread and am binning the rest. Even if it is only 12g carbs a slice it tastes sweet.
Lemon tea

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages, eggs, tomatoes for breakfast.
Some chicken wings for lunch with a cuppa soup.
Grilled Barra fillet, and green veggies, a few chips.

I see the new free trade agreement between Australia and the UK was signed by Bozo and Slomo the other day, some thing like 200,000 tonnes of meat extra over the next couple of year, is going to be exported to the UK.

Enjoy.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agree...uk-fta-negotiations-agreement-principle#goods

Reactions: maglil55

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My lunch.
06E8AEF1-4A2F-472E-9564-0EFA5C2D9B2B.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About an hour after having my black pudding etc, I started to feel unwell. In fact I had to go to bed for a couple of hours. Couldn't figure out what was wrong. But I'm up again, still feeling nauseous and bloated. This is what I am beginning to recognise as a reaction to wheat. But what wheat did I have? Black pudding is made with oats, not wheat. Or is it? Just checked the label on the pack. The last item on the ingredients list is wheat. Can't be much of it, but obviously enough. So the rest will go out. I am currently trying to get the nausea under control with ginger and lemon tea. Waistband is far too tight, but when I go to bed properly that won't be an issue. Must try to get a different make and check the ingredients list.

Ann - To be honest, I found going grain free simpler than picking and choosing between grains. Unfortunately, ceoliacs and those with issues around gluten often have issues with gliadin and avenin. Gliadin and avenin are protein chains, just as gluten is.

Unfortunately, the achieve a strict GF way of living, it needs an intense investment in label reading all over again.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann - To be honest, I found going grain free simpler than picking and choosing between grains. Unfortunately, ceoliacs and those with issues around gluten often have issues with gliadin and avenin. Gliadin and avenin are protein chains, just as gluten is.

Unfortunately, the achieve a strict GF way of living, it needs an intense investment in label reading all over again.

I was cutting out most grains anyway, as part of my efforts to reduce carbohydrates in my diet, but since I've never really thought about coeliac disease in relation to me, I hadn't considered that whatever oats were in black pudding and whatever wheat rusk was in sausages, would be a problem. A while ago I did realize that bread was causing problems, but I thought it was something to do with yeast, or the rising process that was an issue, so stopped eating bread. That did help a bit, but it's only in the last few days that I have seriously considered coeliac as a possibility. This is because my sister-in-law has been diagnosed as coeliac for some years now and we were discussing symptoms.

I should be able to avoid gluten if I don't have any processed products. The black pudding and sausages were about the only 2 processed products I ever use these days.

Today, of course, is different. GP said to reintroduce gluten products for the next few days so that the blood test will have something to check out. I do have some wheat flour in the cupboard but that is the only wheat I have, as far as I am aware. But will do something with that later.

Only tea so far today.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was cutting out most grains anyway, as part of my efforts to reduce carbohydrates in my diet, but since I've never really thought about coeliac disease in relation to me, I hadn't considered that whatever oats were in black pudding and whatever wheat rusk was in sausages, would be a problem. A while ago I did realize that bread was causing problems, but I thought it was something to do with yeast, or the rising process that was an issue, so stopped eating bread. That did help a bit, but it's only in the last few days that I have seriously considered coeliac as a possibility. This is because my sister-in-law has been diagnosed as coeliac for some years now and we were discussing symptoms.

I should be able to avoid gluten if I don't have any processed products. The black pudding and sausages were about the only 2 processed products I ever use these days.

Today, of course, is different. GP said to reintroduce gluten products for the next few days so that the blood test will have something to check out. I do have some wheat flour in the cupboard but that is the only wheat I have, as far as I am aware. But will do something with that later.

Only tea so far today.

Unfortunately, for a GF diet to be of benefit it has to be totally GF (unlike those avoiding dairy who can benefit from various levels of reduction, as well as exclusion).

I'm afraid introducing gluten into your life for a few days isn't likely to make a significant shift in your antibody levels. For strict coeliac testing the requirement is for a number of weeks, if not a couple of months.

When discussing my own challenges with the Endo who told me to go GF, his view was there was no benefit to me by deliberately stimulating inflammation when it was perfectly evident I was gluten sensitive. He likened it to hitting one's thumb with a hammer to see if it hurt. We talked briefly about biopsy, which I elected not to pursue, bearing in mind any diagnosis would lead to the same outcome - a strictly GF lifestyle.

The benefits of a definitive diagnosis are of course that certain foods may be available on prescription, and that condition would be in your medical records, should you ever require hospital treatment long enough to need to be fed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, for a GF diet to be of benefit it has to be totally GF (unlike those avoiding dairy who can benefit from various levels of reduction, as well as exclusion).

I'm afraid introducing gluten into your life for a few days isn't likely to make a significant shift in your antibody levels. For strict coeliac testing the requirement is for a number of weeks, if not a couple of months.

When discussing my own challenges with the Endo who told me to go GF, his view was there was no benefit to me by deliberately stimulating inflammation when it was perfectly evident I was gluten sensitive. He likened it to hitting one's thumb with a hammer to see if it hurt. We talked briefly about biopsy, which I elected not to pursue, bearing in mind any diagnosis would lead to the same outcome - a strictly GF lifestyle.

The benefits of a definitive diagnosis are of course that certain foods may be available on prescription, and that condition would be in your medical records, should you ever require hospital treatment long enough to need to be fed.

Yes, I see the point about not reintroducing what I have already cut out. But if there is any chance that I could get some positive feedback from the blood test, it is worth a try. The thing is, if it isn't ceoliac, then perhaps something else can be identified? I don't know. I'm not a doctor. If it is positive and it could be put onto my medical record, it would be a help when having to go into hospital - otherwise all food provided there is wheat heavy in some form. I know that the health board here provides prescriptions for some foods, but I wouldn't be using those because ready-made foods contain other substances which I know I can't tolerate (some nuts, some starches, sweeteners in any form etc).

Earlier, I made a few waffles to use over the next few days, to have with whatever I am making as my meal. Had a couple with some salad and ham a bit earlier. Feeling very stuffed right now and a bit sluggish, but not seriously uncomfortable.

Reactions: Antje77 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early dinner so we are cleared up and ready for the football this evening.
Lunch was Romaine lettuce leaves filled with low fat cottage cheese snd Turkey breast slices.
Dinner is another hake fillet with the DD crispy topping of chorizo, Parmesan and ground almonds. Tonight it’s served with baked aubergine, mushrooms and a spoonful of kimchi.
Might have a glass of wine later, I’ve been TT all week.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seem to be going through a hungry phase. Had an enormous portion of beef short rib (pic on PE thread) for an early lunch. Couldn’t finish it, but managed to squeeze down 3 eggs and 3 rashers back bacon for dinner :D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems I forgot to post yesterday so playing catch up!

Yesterday:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: DD crispy cheese and mushroom omelette followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: minted lamb kebabs, coleslaw, leafy salad and some Brie followed by SF raspberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased that the nurse changed my painkillers meds. No longer nauseous and groggy and having to eat 4 times a day to take them with food I didnt want!
B: ff greek with seeds and 1 large strawberry
L: cafe lunch of shakushka ( peppers cooked in a spicy tomato sauce topped with eggs) . 3 bites of hubbys orange cake. Lovely tea of blackcurrant and hibiscus
D: cajun chicken and homemade Red cabbage coleslaw. 1 glass sparkling rose. 4 sqs 90% chocolate. (This one is Waitrose own, very nice indeed)

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast 2x CWC, nut granola splash of milk, 2 eggs scrambled with butter.
CWC and biscuits
Lunch, ham, mixed salad, celeriac remoulade, cup of tea.
Tea
Dinner, smoked chicken, carrots, cabbage
F2f Greek yoghurt and raspberries 2 glasses of wine
Later, CWC
Lemon tea.

@MrsA2 So pleased for you, that your medication has been sorted out and you are feeling better.
@ianpspurs popty ping is Welsh for microwave. One of the few words in that language i do know.
@DJC3 like the sound if that DD topping

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It’s very good, it does actually go crispy. Grating or finely chopping the chorizo is a bore though.
I can live with that, or my food processor can - but then washing up the food processor is a bore.