What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon and cheese omelette, button mushrooms, tomatoes.
Cuppa soup, leftover corned brisket mustard low carb bread sandwich for lunch.
Roast rolled shoulder of pork, veggies, gravy.

The Oncology unit at the base hospital phoned me yesterday to get a a couple of new blood tests yesterday, they need another updated blood count and iron done I will get them done at the lab at the private hospital where I went on Saturday..

They are going to give me a couple of bags of blood and iron on Friday morning as their plan A at the moment. Hope they have something decent to eat to go with the coffee. :D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
22. 06
Breakfast: my current staple 2x CWC, nut granola and 2 eggs scrambled with butter.
CWC
Lunch 3x French version of a ryvita (6 carbs each) with pâté and salad, 8 raspberries from the garden, cup of tea.
Tea
Dinner ratatouille with chicken, put the chicken in with the vegetables, sliced some potatoes from yesterday and placed on top. There were just enough to cover in a thin layer. Sprinkled with parmesan and warmed in the oven. MrSlim had peas with his, I had wine and then icecream afterwards, ( this was unplanned) later some cheese for both of us.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 thanks for the suggestions re hubby and shopping but we are away at the moment so deliveries not worth it just for 2 of us. At home its not a problem as son is well trained.

Can't wait to be walking properly again. Its been 4 long weeks so far. Think weight is going on due to lack of exercise

B: ff greek with chopped nuts
L: prawn mayo and avocado salad
D: kofta with grilled courgette and coleslaw. Coffee chia pudding. Malbec

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Usual brekkers of kefir, home made yoghurt with stewed yoghurt.
Puzzled now. Did you have 3 kinds of yoghurt (counting the kefir as yoghurt, which isn't correct) for breakfast? And how does one stew yoghurt?
included home grown red spring onions.
I didn't even know red spring onions existed, they're so pretty and I want them!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Puzzled now. Did you have 3 kinds of yoghurt (counting the kefir as yoghurt, which isn't correct) for breakfast? And how does one stew yoghurt?

I didn't even know red spring onions existed, they're so pretty and I want them!

Ah. Ooooops. No the stewed yoghurt was actually stewed rhubarb.

Reactions: Annb

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

First time trying hemp seed overnight "oats" with desiccated coconut, chia, cinnamon, yoghurt and coconut milk with pecans and blackberries on top. Followed it with my first "chaffle" (pleasant but not much different than a cheese omelette?)

Lunch was two butchers sausages, two bacon rashers (both air fried) and a mixed salad including cucumber, tomatoes, and rocket. Dessert was yoghurt, strawberries and blackberries.

Dinner, ably made by my better half, was pork chop with onions and bacon, two fried eggs (no oil), walnuts and kale, followed up during the football with some Bourneville and half a pack of pork scratchings (which were amazing, I have to say)

When I write it down, that seems a lot but it was still well under my carb total for the day... perhaps I will try to reduce the amount I eat a bit when I get used to this new way of life.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon and cheese omelette, button mushrooms, tomatoes.
Cuppa soup, leftover corned brisket mustard low carb bread sandwich for lunch.
Roast rolled shoulder of pork, veggies, gravy.

The Oncology unit at the base hospital phoned me yesterday to get a a couple of new blood tests yesterday, they need another updated blood count and iron done I will get them done at the lab at the private hospital where I went on Saturday..

They are going to give me a couple of bags of blood and iron on Friday morning as their plan A at the moment. Hope they have something decent to eat to go with the coffee. :D
Good luck with your treatment and I think you deserve one of those delicious pies with your coffee! Now I’m thinking of Cornish pasties, my fave pie but has to be fresh from a Cornish bakery!
Yesterday usual brekkie, HiLo toast and tea.
Lunch was a M&S ‘Just Add’ pack of salmon flakes a small perfect avocado. I have decided that after persevering with avocado for years I have reached the end of the relationship and we are breaking up. No more avos will find their way into my basket. Its the texture. I feel the same about smoked salmon. I had to have 2 squares of Lindt 90 after to deal with the yukiness. Supper was roasted chicken breast with broccoli preceded by a white peach gin & soda.
Today lunch will be 2 egg tomato & basil omelette.
Supper h/m chicken curry and cauli rice.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah. Ooooops. No the stewed yoghurt was actually stewed rhubarb.
Ah, makes sense now, although it's a bit disappointing because I have yoghurt in the fridge and was fully prepared to try this new trick of stewing it! :hilarious:

Need some advice on tonight's meal.
I want to make a frittata/crustless quiche type of meal with cauliflower, cheese, crème fraîche and onions. Perhaps I'll add minced meat or shrimp as well, not sure yet.
But I also have lots of tomatoes. They were ridiculously cheap, and the guinea pigs love them so I bought a lot. But I had forgotten they were ridiculously cheap last time I went shopping too, so now I have more tomatoes than the guinea pigs can eat! :D

Can I simply put lots of tomato in my quiche or will it turn into a soggy wet mess?
Would it be better to bake the tomatoes first to get rid of part of the water?
Or should I stick to only putting some slices on top and eat the tomatoes on their own?

I want to make a big meal lasting me for 3 or 4 days, so I don't want to mess it up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I simply put lots of tomato in my quiche or will it turn into a soggy wet mess?
Or should I stick to only putting some slices on top and eat the tomatoes on their own?

Might be a bit ‘liquidy’. Why not make some kind of tomato based side dish? I used to love a decent tomato and onion salad, for example and you could add any of the other ingredients you’ve listed to it too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be a bit ‘liquidy’. Why not make some kind of tomato based side dish?
Because I think tomatoes would taste very good in my meal! And I eat raw tomato based things all the time so I thought to try something different. But then I started to worry about it becoming liquidy and it looks like you are having the same thought...
I might bake slices of the tomatoes in the oven before adding them to the egg mixture, I think that would work.

Reactions: Annb and Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I want to make a big meal lasting me for 3 or 4 days, so I don't want to mess it up.

Not a good idea to put raw tomato into your frittata if some is to be kept for later. It would, most likely, weep into the mixture when cooling, even if not when hot. If you could be bothered to remove the seeds and the surrounding liquid first, that might improve it and let you put the tomatoes in with the egg mixture. Better to dry them in the oven first. To be honest, I don't really like raw tomato and I have heard that it is better for you once cooked.

One meal so far today (3.20 pm) - huevos rancheros. I will be having another meal because I'm already hungry and my stomach is rumbling. That will be the scallops with some salad.

Yesterday evening - big mistake - I had to leave a Zoom meeting because my BG was dropping like a stone and I had to deal with it. Foolishly, I grabbed the only carb I could find. It was the packet of "Cheerios" that I'd bought at Em's request and I had that with some milk. All the supposedly wheat or gluten symptoms came back and lasted for a few hours until I eventually vomited and then went to bed. Odd that wheat hasn't been having that effect these last few days, so maybe it's something else. BG shot up to 14.9 on the sensor, which means 15.5 on the other meter and stayed there until 10 am today before it started to fall.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Better to dry them in the oven first.
Thank you!
I thought the same and have put the tomato in the oven earlier today.
Biggest problem now is not eating all the wonderful baked tomato slices before putting them in tonight's dish! :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!
I thought the same and have put the tomato in the oven earlier today.
Biggest problem now is not eating all the wonderful baked tomato slices before putting them in tonight's dish! :D
One of my faves atm is tomato and fresh basil omelette. I chop the toms quite small and fry in a bit of butter which evaporates the juice and I do tend to use cherry toms. When they have reduced a bit I add the beaten eggs and torn basil leaves and seasoning. It works a dream and I don't see why it wouldn't work for frittata or quiche mix. Thank you for the idea I am going to make mini tom & basil frittata tomorrow!
Sorry if this reaches you too late!!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lunch out today! Nice pub thats aiming for gastro but is still currently a nice mix
20210623_130923_copy_1512x2016.jpg

This was ray (like skate) in lemon and caper butter with prawns and asparagus, salad and flowers. I asked for just one of the crispy parmesan potatos, had extra side salad instead.
Did nick some of hubbys chips and a spoonful each of his and son's dessert

D: scrambled egg with cheese, followed by cream cheese with 1 strawberry and 1 sq 100% mint choc

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: salted chilli ribs with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I had two experiments today.

First was to have breakfast (am toying with switching from lunch and dinner to breakfast and lunch). The experiment was raspberries (just 7 or 8) and cream/0% Fage. Won’t be happening again - big rise. Later in the day wouldn’t be an issue but too much for me early on. Followed up with some mince, onions and eggs to calm things down.

Second experiment was one of the M&S ‘best ever’ chocolate eclairs. Reasonable rise (less than 3 mmols) for the ‘hit’. The chocolate topping was too sweet, so I left about half of it, but the pastry was good (and not sweet) and plenty of cream!
That was dessert before dinner of air fried chicken wings.

Back to normal service tomorrow.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was breakfast of cheese omelette, two butcher's sausages and a couple of rashers of bacon.
Lunch was some sandwich ham with a classic salad with some added cucumber, celery and a tomato. Dessert was yoghurt with raspberries and strawberries.
Dinner was basa fillet with cauliflower rice and some brocolli cheese (the remaining portion of the rice/cheese will be tomorrow's dinner).
Snacks were some Bourneville (going back to the Green and Black on the next shop). a no added sugar jelly and the remainder of my pork scratchings from yesterday.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2x CWC, nut granola, 2 eggs scrambled with butter
CWC
Lunch: salad, avocado on toast, cup of tea
Lemon tea
Dinner, seemed a pleasant evening so MrSlim was pressed into service on the BBQ. Shoulder pork chops, mushrooms courgettes and coleslaw
I was greedy and finished the coleslaw off.
Couple of glasses of chardonnay accompanied by a vigorous discussion as to the meaning of Pays D'Oc.
CwC
2 squares of chocolate this is the Noir et Noirs version, which is very tasty. Have had to give the bar to MrSlim for rationing out.
Planning lemon tea soon
I should not miss out the entire packet of goats cheese flavoured choux bites. Eaten after dinner and before the chocolate, Which were still only18g carbs ;)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee until lunch which was salad of leaves, h/b eggs, avocado, smoked mackerel, 3 cherry tomatoes and a spoonful of h/m mayo.
Afternoon snack of prosciutto.
Dinner was beanless chilli with cumin roast cauliflower.
@Antje77 How did your baked tomato frittata turn out? I’ll be interested to see the results.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steak and eggs, button mushrooms for breakfast, building themy strength up.
Helga's low carb wrap with chicken and salad for lunch at private hospital cafe where I got my blood tests done.
Belly pork slices, green veggies gravy for dinner