What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 How did your baked tomato frittata turn out? I’ll be interested to see the results.
No you're not!
It tasted wonderful (which is a good thing because it's definitely enough for three more days, even when sharing with the dogs) and the tomatoes worked out very nice.
However, I think I didn't use enough eggs to make it properly set, or maybe there was too much water left in the cauliflower, but it didn't really set nicely. Together with the the beige cauliflower pieces and red and orangy bits of tomato I thought it best to not post a picture...

Still, using oven baked tomato slices in an omelette like meal is a win, it's very nice!

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Chicken salad, cottage cheese washed down with BCAA kool-aid, guessing ~35g of protein
A57B1846-4931-41F2-9F29-6509DADD24B1.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No you're not!
It tasted wonderful (which is a good thing because it's definitely enough for three more days, even when sharing with the dogs) and the tomatoes worked out very nice.
However, I think I didn't use enough eggs to make it properly set, or maybe there was too much water left in the cauliflower, but it didn't really set nicely. Together with the the beige cauliflower pieces and red and orangy bits of tomato I thought it best to not post a picture...

Still, using oven baked tomato slices in an omelette like meal is a win, it's very nice!

LOL glad it tasted good!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
. Followed up with some mince, onions and eggs to calm things down.

@Goonergal, does it control a BG that is going too high, to have mince, onions and eggs? That is, does the meat dish bring your BG down to a normal level? What a great result, if it does.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal, does it control a BG that is going too high, to have mince, onions and eggs? That is, does the meat dish bring your BG down to a normal level? What a great result, if it does.

Not something I’ve tested, but it wouldn’t normally cause a rise, so it was just an attempt to stop the liver over reacting as the yoghurt/cream/berry combination didn’t suit my body at all!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast (about 12.15): Bacon and eggs. Painkillers with yoghurt (2nd time today - first dose was at 3.45 this morning). That was to try to deal with the spreading arthritis, now in my neck and shoulder - more painful than it has been for a long time. A full dose of the 30/500 co-codamol. It just about took the edge off the pain both times. Plenty of tea.

2nd meal: will be a vegetable bake that I made yesterday and should use today. It is finished with a layer of tomato @Antje77, and then passata over the top. Even so, it looks a bit dry, but that's after baking. I daresay that it will be more moist under the surface.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee until lunch.
Large salad of ham, 2 h/b eggs, 1/2 avocado, leaves and as I’m trying to prioritise protein over fat, I had a dollop of l/f cottage cheese instead of mayo. LF cottage cheese is a pretty joyless food so a spoonful of nutritional yeast added to give it a bit of oomph.
Dinner was a large pollock fillet with the chorizo crumble topping and green beans.
H/m yoghurt and a few blueberries to follow ( thanks for mentioning it a couple of days ago @AndBreathe I haven’t made it for ages) I strained it through muslin all day and got about 500ml whey out of it. The resulting yoghurt is super thick and creamy with double the protein now. The whey is now in ice cube trays, to make popsicles for the dog.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Large salad of ham, 2 h/b eggs, 1/2 avocado, leaves and as I’m trying to prioritise protein over fat, I had a dollop of l/f cottage cheese instead of mayo. LF cottage cheese is a pretty joyless food so a spoonful of nutritional yeast added to give it a bit of oomph.
Dinner was a large pollock fillet with the chorizo crumble topping and green beans.
H/m yoghurt and a few blueberries to follow ( thanks for mentioning it a couple of days ago @AndBreathe I haven’t made it for ages) I strained it through muslin all day and got about 500ml whey out of it. The resulting yoghurt is super thick and creamy with double the protein now. The whey is now in ice cube trays, to make popsicles for the dog.
I’ve just discovered something I am using instead of cottage cheese - it’s biotiful dairy’s kefir and protein which is also low fat it’s per 100g - carbs3.5 protein 12.7 and fat 0.4 - so good for high protein low fat but, I think, tastes high fat - win win- I like you tried low fat cottage cheese but this is better for me taste wise. I make a coleslaw now with a mix of this kefir and hurly burly raw organic sauerkraut which is o fat, 1.00 protein and 1.00 carb. I love it with some chives chopped in for flavour. I bought both from Ocado. If you’ve got big pot of low fat cottage cheese left to use up I’ve added things to lift it eg prawns, herbs and sauerkraut or grated vintage cheese or small bits of Stilton! Bit of a voyage of discovery this high protein lower fat but I find it really suits me.
I’m too hectic with family caring to post regularly just now but to stick to theme -today I had
Breakfast two boiled eggs with one slice of hm lc bread
Lunch kefir with three berries
Dinner pork loin wrapped in Serrano ham served with mushrooms, asparagus and a few oven baked pre cooked and frozen new potatoes followed by lc DGF brownie with 0% yoghurt.
Ps thinking of you all and reading when can.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Dennis will love, love, love those popsicles.

Which strength milk are you using for your yoghurt.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: spur of the moment coconut cappuccino at a coffee shop with an emergency phd bar from my bag (while hubby was scoffing a huge slice of lemon cheesecake!)
Dinner: DD cheese crust omelette with orange cherry tomatoes and mushroom filling followed by SF strawberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.
I think it was @DJC3 who shared the cheese crust omelette recipe and said once you’d tried it you’d never cook a standard omelette ever again! She was right! :joyful:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a bit of an odd day, food-wise.

I was back at the hospital today to participate in a different part of the main study I'm part of. I hadn't had to fast this time, as they weren't doing bloods this time, but I did have to avoid anything containing caffiene, so no tea or coffee with my usual brekkers of HM yoghurt with home grown stewed rhubarb.

Lunch per se didn't happen as I went shopping on my way home.

Dinner was yet another vat of stir fry. I can't believe I've had variations on a theme of the same meal, 3 nights running. VERY unlike me, but normal service will resume tomorrow.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dennis will love, love, love those popsicles.

Which strength milk are you using for your yoghurt.

It’s semi skimmed uht. I’ve only used full fat before and wasn’t brave enough to try the fully skimmed. Have you used it or do you stick to the full fat?
Hugs for the lack of caffeine this morning. I’d be like a bear with a sore head.

Edit to add a bit.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s semi skimmed uht. I’ve only used full fat before and wasn’t brave enough to try the fully skimmed. Have you used it or do you stick to the full fat?
Hugs for the lack of caffeine this morning. I’d be like a bear with a sore head.

Edit to add a bit.

Trust me, the cup of tea after the day's events, provided by the team, was like nectar. Truly magnificent.

I've done semi-skimmed, half semi-skimmed and half full fat, and full fat (1 ltr + 1 ltr). They all work with predictably creamier and creamier results. Do you add any milk powder when you do your yoghurt? I usually add a decent heaped dessert spoonful. It gets all those lovely little going hyper!

I tend not to strain mine, due to a high level of laziness, but it's usually pretty thick anyway. I make 2ltrs at a time, in whatever format, and store in 1ltr "Tupperware" containers. On decanting, the yoghurt seems to loosen up a bit, but I tend to make a new batch when I start on the second litre tub, so it thickens up again with storage.

Thank goodness for a second decent sized storage fridge.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just discovered something I am using instead of cottage cheese - it’s biotiful dairy’s kefir and protein which is also low fat it’s per 100g - carbs3.5 protein 12.7 and fat 0.4 - so good for high protein low fat but, I think, tastes high fat - win win- I like you tried low fat cottage cheese but this is better for me taste wise. I make a coleslaw now with a mix of this kefir and hurly burly raw organic sauerkraut which is o fat, 1.00 protein and 1.00 carb. I love it with some chives chopped in for flavour. I bought both from Ocado. If you’ve got big pot of low fat cottage cheese left to use up I’ve added things to lift it eg prawns, herbs and sauerkraut or grated vintage cheese or small bits of Stilton! Bit of a voyage of discovery this high protein lower fat but I find it really suits me.
I’m too hectic with family caring to post regularly just now but to stick to theme -today I had
Breakfast two boiled eggs with one slice of hm lc bread
Lunch kefir with three berries
Dinner pork loin wrapped in Serrano ham served with mushrooms, asparagus and a few oven baked pre cooked and frozen new potatoes followed by lc DGF brownie with 0% yoghurt.
Ps thinking of you all and reading when can.

Thank you so much for the recommendation, it has to be better than low fat cottage cheese! I’ll look out for it, probably have to be online.
I have prawns so that’s a good idea to jazz up the rest of the pot of cc. Maybe a bit of chilli too.
I love sauerkraut too. At the moment I’m addicted to this especially the turmeric and ginger one . https://goodnudefood.co.uk/products...UOUaHaPdn967TR9fxhFPOrUvp0wKebvwaAmo2EALw_wcB
I remember you saying Waitrose does a good one - is that the one you’re using still?
I agree this is a real voyage of discovery.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the recommendation, it has to be better than low fat cottage cheese! I’ll look out for it, probably have to be online.
I have prawns so that’s a good idea to jazz up the rest of the pot of cc. Maybe a bit of chilli too.
I love sauerkraut too. At the moment I’m addicted to this especially the turmeric and ginger one . https://goodnudefood.co.uk/products...UOUaHaPdn967TR9fxhFPOrUvp0wKebvwaAmo2EALw_wcB
I remember you saying Waitrose does a good one - is that the one you’re using still?
I agree this is a real voyage of discovery.
Hurly burly sauerkraut is also from Ocado like the kefir. It’s kimchi I bought from Waitrose.
https://www.ocado.com/products/hurly-burly-original-organic-raw-sauerkraut-491720011
This is the kefir
https://www.ocado.com/products/biotiful-kefir-quark-original-546991011

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: a vegetarian cooked breakfast in a Waitrose cafe, 1 egg, 1 large mushroom, half a tomato, small spinach, small avocado and haloumi. They'd way overcooked the haloumi so it had gone beyond rubbery into crunchy, but it made a nice base for the egg, like toast almost. Will try recreating that at home sometime

L: some crab pate on M&S super seedy crackers. The latter has been being praised on another fb group and I have had trouble finding any. Very low carb indeed, only 4 g for the whole packet. Just seeds stuck together somehow to be a small cracker but very handy when you need something to hold pate/hummus/cream cheese etc. £1.80 a pack but long life for store cupboard

D: crab pate on lettuce leaves, and even on cheese slices (it was reduced on eat today date!)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
2nd meal: will be a vegetable bake that I made yesterday and should use today. It is finished with a layer of tomato @Antje77, and then passata over the top. Even so, it looks a bit dry, but that's after baking. I daresay that it will be more moist under the surface.

It wasn't dry under the surface. Very tasty and another 2/3 left for tomorrow. Just taken a gammon roast out of the oven for slicing as cold meat tomorrow and for cutting into chunks to add to omelettes etc. Of course, I had to have a slice (still warm) to check that it was OK. It was.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: a vegetarian cooked breakfast in a Waitrose cafe, 1 egg, 1 large mushroom, half a tomato, small spinach, small avocado and haloumi. They'd way overcooked the haloumi so it had gone beyond rubbery into crunchy, but it made a nice base for the egg, like toast almost. Will try recreating that at home sometime

L: some crab pate on M&S super seedy crackers. The latter has been being praised on another fb group and I have had trouble finding any. Very low carb indeed, only 4 g for the whole packet. Just seeds stuck together somehow to be a small cracker but very handy when you need something to hold pate/hummus/cream cheese etc. £1.80 a pack but long life for store cupboard

D: crab pate on lettuce leaves, and even on cheese slices (it was reduced on eat today date!)

The crackers sound great, I feel a trip to M&S coming on.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hurly burly sauerkraut is also from Ocado like the kefir. It’s kimchi I bought from Waitrose.
https://www.ocado.com/products/hurly-burly-original-organic-raw-sauerkraut-491720011
This is the kefir
https://www.ocado.com/products/biotiful-kefir-quark-original-546991011

Brilliant, thanks for the links. As I’m still not allowed to drive I’ve been thinking I really should organise a home delivery.

Edit to add:
Boo! I’ve just tried to register but Ocado don’t deliver here. I’ll try Amazon groceries