What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
The crackers sound great, I feel a trip to M&S coming on.
@DJC3 no M&S here, why didn't I find those crackers in Norwich M&S? Well that would be the self talk, "you are not buying biscuits today...don't go down that aisle"

Reactions: DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast as usual, 2x CWC, nut granola and 2 eggs scrambled with butter.
Last of the eggs.
CwC
Lunch. Sardines in oil, drained. Salad, hm coleslaw. Cup of tea.
Tea and sugar free squash in the afternoon.
MrSlim has fixed the mower, so I ran it round. Two of the French neighbours were out doing theirs too, but the English couple with the opinionated wife sat and watched.
Sunny evening, MrSlim likes a BBQ, so we had sausages, aubergine and courgette, mushrooms and a medley of onions and red peppers I cooked on the ho, along with a few potatoes for mrSlim. Wine, ofc for me, but not for MrSlim, that's always a bad sign.
I had couple of slices of gouda
Then my usual lemon tea before bed.
The sunny evening turned into an overcast night. So no gazing at the rose moon tonight.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's delights:
Made overnight oats using hemp seeds, desiccated coconut, chia seeds, cinnamon, a smidge of Truvia, Greek Yoghurt and whole milk with some added raspberries that were on the way out.

Brunch was a cooked breakfast whilst out, pork sausages, fried eggs, fresh tomato, bacon, mushrooms and a spoonful of baked beans with a latte (the latte was the most delicious part!)

Dinner was a chicken breast stuffed with garlic and herb soft cheese, wrapped in bacon with the leftover broccoli cheese and cauli rice.

Snack during a late evening meeting was some Green and Blacks 70% chocolate, some pork scratchings and Coke Zero

Got a visit to the Nurse this evening with my food diary for the last week so fingers crossed it will be a positive visit.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast (11.30 so brunch really): more kind of huevos rancheros - using some of the vegetable bake from yesterday. I'll make soup with the rest.
2nd meal: will be big fish fingers made with the haddock I bought at the fish shop. Coating will have to be parmesan and maybe dess coconut mixture.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 no M&S here, why didn't I find those crackers in Norwich M&S? Well that would be the self talk, "you are not buying biscuits today...don't go down that aisle"

That’s my usual mantra too. I’ve wasted too many hours checking labels in the hope of finding something suitably low carb so I just don’t bother looking now.

(Mod edit)

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy with food choices today. I actually managed to keep protein higher than fat, which I’m finding surprisingly hard. Still v low carb.
Black coffee this morning.
Lunch was an odd combo of prawns, 1/2 portion of leftover fish from yesterday’s dinner, kale crisps, spoonful cottage cheese and chilli sauerkraut. Followed it with a spoonful of the h/m Greek style yoghurt and a few blueberries.
Dinner was pork tenderloin wrapped in prosciutto ( thanks for the inspiration @shelley262 )and baked with aubergine, courgette, mushrooms and cherry toms. finished with 25g Callebaut 100% cocoa buttons and tea.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mixed day food wise.

Brunch was 15% mince fried with onions and 2 eggs.
Couple of afternoon nibbles - 25g Aldi Moser Roth chocolate and a small ramekin of double cream/almond butter,
Dinner was a takeaway (well Deliveroo delivery) from German Doner Kebab - a ‘gym box’ which is their bread free kebab. Picked beef and included red cabbage and onions. It’s actually pretty nice and a decent lazy option.

@DJC3 are the fish dishes you’ve been posting from the DD high protein section? Would like to increase my fish intake and hoping for some inspiration!

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, For breakfast this morning I had blue and raspberries with cream sprinkled with chia seeds and for lunch I had 3 rashers of bacon with a diddy bit of ketchup. Trying to give ketchup up....honest.

May I ask what exactly is a blue and raspberries with cream?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mixed day food wise.

Brunch was 15% mince fried with onions and 2 eggs.
Couple of afternoon nibbles - 25g Aldi Moser Roth chocolate and a small ramekin of double cream/almond butter,
Dinner was a takeaway (well Deliveroo delivery) from German Doner Kebab - a ‘gym box’ which is their bread free kebab. Picked beef and included red cabbage and onions. It’s actually pretty nice and a decent lazy option.

@DJC3 are the fish dishes you’ve been posting from the DD high protein section? Would like to increase my fish intake and hoping for some inspiration!

Yes the chorizo crumb topped cod is in that bit. There are a couple of other cod recipes that look good too, I’ll try at least one this week, but probably with hake instead.
That German gym box sounds good. There are definite disadvantages to living in the sticks. The only thing we can get delivered is McDonalds.

Reactions: Goonergal and Annb

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Extra bacon and cheese and a three eggs omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Not much for lunch, just a packet of wholemeal cheese and ham sandwiches and black coffee at the oncology unit.
Rump streak, green veggies, gravy for dinner.

All went well with the blood transfusion and the iron infusion, they were pretty accurate with the time I would be there (5 hours).

The choice of snacks was usual run of the mill hospital fare, ranging from sandwiches, fruit, yoghurt, cake , cheese and biscuits, coffee and tea in proper mugs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken satay sticks, Brie, coleslaw and a leafy salad followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes the chorizo crumb topped cod is in that bit. There are a couple of other cod recipes that look good too, I’ll try at least one this week, but probably with hake instead.
That German gym box sounds good. There are definite disadvantages to living in the sticks. The only thing we can get delivered is McDonalds.

In the sticks here, we can't get anything delivered - not takeaway meals, not milk, not newspapers etc. The nearest McDonalds is in Inverness - a ferry and bus journey away from us, so I don't blame them for that. I believe there is a pizza shop that delivers around Stornoway but they don't come out this far. Actually, if you're lucky and can get a slot (I've been trying for over a year now, to no avail), you can get your groceries delivered from Tesco in the town, but nothing else in the way of food.

Made my big fish fingers - should have put a bit of salt in the coating, but they were good.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast usual 2x CWC and nut granola, but had run out of eggs so had ff Greek yoghurt and raspberries instead, probably not enough protein, but reminded me of how I used to eat.
Shopping trip, missed morning coffee
Lunch, chunk of the lovely rustic baguettes we bought, with generous helping of pâté, salad and coleslaw, had hoped the fat in those would be sufficient to mitigate the effects of the bread.
Sadly it seems not so.
Cwc after lunch. Later tea and a biscuit
Dinner was a bit of a disaster. Yesterday's potatoes had gone grey. Yuk! Bin. Cooked more, but not for me, roasted some cauliflower and added the ends of aubergine and courgette to the roasting tin. We were going to have turkey escolapes, but neither of us fancied them once the packet was open. I don't even want to give them to the cat. Why is it that things go off so soon, well before use by date? So... omelette instead with the veg. Cauliflower was too salty .
Rose wine and later a few slices of cheese
CWC and then lemon tea at bedtime.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Headed back home today so was a fridge emptying day
B: double cream with strawberries and blueberries. Cwc.
L: (out) lamb kebab with salad at Lebanese restaurant. Menu was very good for low carb, plenty of choice. Did have 2 bites of hubbys lamb stuffed flat bread starter, but did manage not to call in at the ice cream parlour next door for afters
D: frittata of courgette and bacon using up some cream cheese in the eggs, basil and chives. 2 slices of maasdam cooked into crisps with a glass of Merlot.
Later: 3 seedy crackers with hummus

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had the shopping delivered, got a nice bacon hock for pea and ham soup nice lot of meat on it.

mXYMxs2.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask what exactly is a blue and raspberries with cream?

Hi there

The member you quoted hasn’t logged on for over 6 years, so guessing they may not get back to you. I’d guess they meant to say blueberries, raspberries and cream.

Reactions: Antje77

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday, I had a basic cheese omelette for breakfast at an ungodly hour after a bout of insomnia, and some sausages at a better breakfast hour.

Lunch was a classic salad with a tin of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce, followed up by some yoghurt and strawberries and a treat of a Little Moon Mochi ball (Mango and Passionfruit). Following my nurses appointment in the evening, I was treated to a Tandoori mixed meat meal with some mushroom and onion bhaji, and a naughty cheese naan.

Back to the hard work over the weekend - one special occasion a week apparently will not hurt me!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee.
Pack of king prawns for lunch with a spoonful of my h/m high protein yoghurt to follow, and a few blueberries.
Mid afternoon some microwaved kale crisps and tea.
Dinner was airfried chicken breast which had been rubbed with coconut oil and spices. H/b eggs, asparagus and a lot of leaves. A very nice salad dressing made from yoghurt, tahini, lemon juice and garlic powder.
@garyclark82 I’m a great fan of second breakfast too, given half a chance.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it that things go off so soon, well before use by date?
If we have leftovers they are usually eaten next day reheated out of the fridge, or frozen for later on.

We try not to waste food by throwing it in the garbage, we have "dump chook" visitors every day that scrounge a feed so that takes care of that area if we have anything.

Reactions: Annb