Low white blood cell (WBC) count on low-carb diet

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood results are back. My WBC gone down to 5 from 6.5, still low normal range was bit anxious and did some Googling. Here is an interesting thread that i found

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/offyfn/the_results_dont_lie_more_protein_and_strength/

So anyone of you who has been on a low-carb diet can share how it affected their white blood count? Is it really due to less inflammation and less need of immune system or it's an issue with keto/low carb diet?

Thanks, as always.

Reactions: Omar51

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I had those checked when I was diagnosed. I haven’t since, nor do I have a baseline measurement. been thinking about getting full tests so I can track

Reactions: jjraak

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had those checked when I was diagnosed. I haven’t since, nor do I have a baseline measurement. been thinking about getting full tests so I can track

In UK white blood cell count is part of a basic NHS FBC panel, so I think many of us have this from time to time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a full blood count (amongst other things) every time I have an HbA1c, which pre-covid was twice a year. My WBC count has always been within the normal range of 4 to 11, and averages over 7. Currently 7.5. I have followed a low carb diet since 2014. I am unmedicated - no prescription drugs for anything and I am aged 73. I think our age matters as we tend to lose some immunity the older we are.

Reactions: LaoDan and finsit

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a full blood count (amongst other things) every time I have an HbA1c, which pre-covid was twice a year. My WBC count has always been within the normal range of 4 to 11, and averages over 7. Currently 7.5. I have followed a low carb diet since 2014. I am unmedicated - no prescription drugs for anything and I am aged 73. I think our age matters as we tend to lose some immunity the older we are.
Just out of curiosity, how many carbs you eat in a day? This might have to do with number of carbs. I have been on below 30 a day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity, how many carbs you eat in a day? This might have to do with number of carbs. I have been on below 30 a day.

I no longer count my carbs. However, during 2014 I dropped to about 20g most days and stayed between 20 and 30 for a long time. I have no idea how many I eat these days, but it is more than that. Definitely under 100g, less most days. My WBC count has been consistent enough throughout.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do note that other things can cause a lower white cell blood count anyway, not everything is caused by diabetes or what you're doing to try and manage it

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s a graph of my white cell count from my medical records. I was diagnosed in the spring of 2017 when my reading was over 8, I reduced my carbs gradually after diagnosis and have kept at 45g or less of carbs per day for a long time now.

6CF7BDCF-04F7-4379-AC03-1EBB2D4EEBE1.jpeg

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Interesting. I have low total WBC
My blood results are back. My WBC gone down to 5 from 6.5, still low normal range was bit anxious and did some Googling. Here is an interesting thread that i found

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/offyfn/the_results_dont_lie_more_protein_and_strength/

So anyone of you who has been on a low-carb diet can share how it affected their white blood count? Is it really due to less inflammation and less need of immune system or it's an issue with keto/low carb diet?

Thanks, as always.
Interestingly I have had abnormal total white blood cells since my diagnosis and starting LCHF. I thought I was alone. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: zand and finsit

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here’s a graph of my white cell count from my medical records. I was diagnosed in the spring of 2017 when my reading was over 8, I reduced my carbs gradually after diagnosis and have kept at 45g or less of carbs per day for a long time now.

View attachment 50355
@Rachox interesting, almost similar to mine. Doesn't this clearly indicate that when we were at the peak of our metabolism catastrophe, our WBC were the highest? and after improving it, they went low, seems like a normal course?

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox interesting, almost similar to mine. Doesn't this clearly indicate that when we were at the peak of our metabolism catastrophe, our WBC were the highest? and after improving it, they went low, seems like a normal course?
It is interesting, I’d never opened this graph before, I just saw that each reading when I received it was within the normal range and thought no more of it.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mines 3.4 and showing as low, the range on the doctor site say 3.6 to 11 is normal. But then again it also shows a range of other counts on the FBC is low. I'm not on significantly low carb, probably average 150 a day or so but higher and lower

Doctor just said to repeat in a few months

I'll ask in another post for any thoughts

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My surgery were so concerned that they did 3 tests. It is a great sign of low inflammation in the body. If you get a HS-CRP as well, this will likely be super low.

Reactions: Speedbird

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mines 3.4 and showing as low, the range on the doctor site say 3.6 to 11 is normal. But then again it also shows a range of other counts on the FBC is low. I'm not on significantly low carb, probably average 150 a day or so but higher and lower

Doctor just said to repeat in a few months

I'll ask in another post for any thoughts
@Andydragon Hi thanks for your post. I was seeing your bio and saw you had quite a bit of weight loss, congratulations on that. My question is when you lost the weight, had you had your lipids checked and how was your LDL?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery were so concerned that they did 3 tests. It is a great sign of low inflammation in the body. If you get a HS-CRP as well, this will likely be super low.
@Mbaker what was your WBC level or what is it now? has it been there for long?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andydragon Hi thanks for your post. I was seeing your bio and saw you had quite a bit of weight loss, congratulations on that. My question is when you lost the weight, had you had your lipids checked and how was your LDL?
Not sure
Have these results:

Serum cholesterol level 4.9 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.9 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 1.7
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 2.0 mmol/L

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure
Have these results:

Serum cholesterol level 4.9 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.9 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 1.7
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 2.0 mmol/L
Your HDL is excellent. So you didn't have any spike in your LDL. My LDL went from 4 to 9.5 :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Mbaker what was your WBC level or what is it now? has it been there for long?
My results:

upload_2021-7-10_0-42-38.png

upload_2021-7-10_0-43-19.png

Interesting they called a "normal" result when I was at the height of my 134 diagnosis.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @zamalik I thought you might like a reference from Sarah Halberg. Sarah references White Blood Cell count twice between circa 30 mins and 42: