What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.3 at 6AM and 4.4 just now. Flatline graph averaging at 4

Question: Will my continuing flirtatious relationship with the 6 > 8 range be causing me long-term medical issues? Yes, I know normal is 4.5 > 5.5, but during my prolonged pursuit for lower numbers be leaving me at risk?

If your HbA1c is coming in good range I don't think it should be that worrying. With exception to dawn phenomena the flatline graph is more conducive to long term good health than frequent fluctuation between high and low numbers. A person having a flatline at 7 most of the time may have better long term health than someone whose average is say 5.5 but variance goes between 3.4 and 9.0. That is infact one reason why libre trend is a better measure than HbA1c as latter can put false relief in ones mind.

Having said all that I must add this is purely my interpretation of what I have gathered from all the reading I have done from various sources but am not an expert on medical science and if you are worried talking to a doctor should help you device a new strategy.

Have a great day everyone. :)

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I don’t know the answer to your question but it seems to me that the pursuit of normal numbers is all we have available to us.
Understood. Should I be contemplating Insulin? Or is that a dumb idea?

Have you tried fasting? Works for some ( I’ve tried but it made me miserable)
Fasting gives me mixed results, sometimes I get 4s and 5s in an afternoon, and yet I can get these results without fasting.

@DJC3 Thanks for your feedback. What I must keep remembering is that I started with an HBA1C of 89, and now my last was 49. These A1c numbers are daily snapshots.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 7.0 so the Oppo effect still but ate lunch too late and ran into dinner. @Estragon hugs for the confusion and instability. I seem to fall into the camp of good A1c but frustrating FBG so I am in this circle of playing catch up every day! Hugs.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I seem to fall into the camp of good A1c but frustrating FBG so I am in this circle of playing catch up every day! Hugs.
@PenguinMum - Thanks for the Hugs! I had a prolonged period of the Sticky-Sixes, I was moaning then. Now with an overall average of 7.1, from May till now, I’m getting worried. I’m betting I’ll get a lower 6 come 2pm. Really hating this insomnia. Could having higher through-the-night numbers produce Insomnia? Or which comes first?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum - Thanks for the Hugs! I had a prolonged period of the Sticky-Sixes, I was moaning then. Now with an overall average of 7.1, from May till now, I’m getting worried. I’m betting I’ll get a lower 6 come 2pm. Really hating this insomnia. Could having higher through-the-night numbers produce Insomnia? Or which comes first?
Ah that would be the chicken and the egg question. There are more questions than answers with Diabetes it seems and defo no one size fits all. At least we are trying to do our very best and thats something I have to remind myself of constantly.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

MissyLA33

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
14.5 :arghh:
10.8 two hours later after 6 units of Novorapid, no breakfast. Still learning…

Reactions: DJC3

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
14.5 :arghh:
10.8 two hours later after 6 units of Novorapid, no breakfast. Still learning…
Oh my. I just spent some time reading your history. Nasty diabetes experiences. And here’s me, grumbling about being stuck above 7.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 at 6AM after the eating day. 7.8 just now... overnight average is 6.4.. I had less protein and a bit more fibre yesterday but the inconsistent result compared to when I had same intake few days back to get a morning reading in 4s leaves me clueless.

Fasting day today so it should become better.

Reactions: karen8967

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 at 6AM after the eating day. 7.8 just now... overnight average is 6.4.. I had less protein and a bit more fibre yesterday but the inconsistent result compared to when I had same intake few days back to get a morning reading in 4s leaves me clueless.

Fasting day today so it should become better.

That doesnt seem fair to me but isnt it just typical of this condition. At least we are all trying hard so we just have to keep on keeping on. Best wishes.