5 things any newly diagnosed type 1 should know

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
At this time, COVID, it's very difficult to see a counsellor and our mental health support group closed down in 2019, just when we really need it. I guess it's just one day at a time. Thanks and take care.

Yes, I too had help from Mental Health services for many years. But I came to the conclusion that after so many years of struggle, I had learnt quite enough to go it on my own. I think mental health workers come in all sorts and sizes, and sometimes can be actually very harmful. Anxieties levels and depression can actually be exacerbated by having to deal with Type 1, as has happened in certain ways for myself, but really with this illness, no one else is really able practically to help very much it seems, so I have felt finally, it really is all up to me, and I cannot expect much help from others - most of the professionals ---whether mental health or diabetes professionals, don't seem to be as useful to me as I am to myself now!!!

Reactions: Prancy and Juicyj

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I too had help from Mental Health services for many years. But I came to the conclusion that after so many years of struggle, I had learnt quite enough to go it on my own. I think mental health workers come in all sorts and sizes, and sometimes can be actually very harmful. Anxieties levels and depression can actually be exacerbated by having to deal with Type 1, as has happened in certain ways for myself, but really with this illness, no one else is really able practically to help very much it seems, so I have felt finally, it really is all up to me, and I cannot expect much help from others - most of the professionals ---whether mental health or diabetes professionals, don't seem to be as useful to me as I am to myself now!!!

I went to a Counsellor that my Doctor recommended a few years back because she's part of the clinic. She never went over anything about what my childhood/teen years was like. But she did tell me I'm in a rut and need to go back to Al-Anon (which I attended because my ex was an alcoholic). And, she's a mental health nurse? Could have fooled me. My doc didn't even pick up on my anxiety. I went to another Counsellor and that's one of the first things she mentioned. She noticed it right away. I've been having a rough week, with all these ups and downs. Yesterday, I went way down and I was also feeling sick to my stomach. I tell you I felt the down yesterday and so I laid on the couch all day. It took all the good out of me. I talked with my DE this week and she told me I didn't need to dose for protein (obviously she hasn't read any of the new studies) only carbs. When it's humid and I go for a walk my sugar falls fast. She told me to reduce my dose by 50%. I reduced it some and it still went down. I wish I had a medical professional who actually has T1 just so they know what I am feeling and how much insulin I actually need. She keeps talking about her 'algorithm' that says this much or that much. Dealing with T1 is very mentally straining, especially getting it so suddenly and so old(ish). Sometimes after I talk with the DE I am so confused because she's feeding me information from 30 years ago, and then I read updated things online (from actual Doctors/hospitals) and wonder "who the heck do I believe?" I believe the doctors who have T1 because they have experience. She's going by the old medical books. I would like both of us to be in the target range as much as possible and avoid all the highs/lows. So, good luck to us for taking our health into our own hands. We know how we feel. Take care and have a great weekend.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I went to a Counsellor that my Doctor recommended a few years back because she's part of the clinic. She never went over anything about what my childhood/teen years was like. But she did tell me I'm in a rut and need to go back to Al-Anon (which I attended because my ex was an alcoholic). And, she's a mental health nurse? Could have fooled me. My doc didn't even pick up on my anxiety. I went to another Counsellor and that's one of the first things she mentioned. She noticed it right away. I've been having a rough week, with all these ups and downs. Yesterday, I went way down and I was also feeling sick to my stomach. I tell you I felt the down yesterday and so I laid on the couch all day. It took all the good out of me. I talked with my DE this week and she told me I didn't need to dose for protein (obviously she hasn't read any of the new studies) only carbs. When it's humid and I go for a walk my sugar falls fast. She told me to reduce my dose by 50%. I reduced it some and it still went down. I wish I had a medical professional who actually has T1 just so they know what I am feeling and how much insulin I actually need. She keeps talking about her 'algorithm' that says this much or that much. Dealing with T1 is very mentally straining, especially getting it so suddenly and so old(ish). Sometimes after I talk with the DE I am so confused because she's feeding me information from 30 years ago, and then I read updated things online (from actual Doctors/hospitals) and wonder "who the heck do I believe?" I believe the doctors who have T1 because they have experience. She's going by the old medical books. I would like both of us to be in the target range as much as possible and avoid all the highs/lows. So, good luck to us for taking our health into our own hands. We know how we feel. Take care and have a great weekend.

Hi, yes Lynnzhealth, I do as much research as I can without it quite taking over my whole life!?, and whatever any diabetic nurse or even consultant says, I find out for myself and see what works. In my opinion that is the very best way to approaching this. As you say , many of the diabetic nurses seem to be so brainwashed by past training that they do not know about nor appreciate the things have been discovered since their training. The NHS is often, it seems to me, a bit stuck in tradition with their views, and REAL experience cannot simply be replaced simply by orthodox learning. Best thing, seems to me, is to consider everything, but keep monitoring in real life and testing what we are told (from wherever), to see what shows itself to be valid....?

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes Lynnzhealth, I do as much research as I can without it quite taking over my whole life!?, and whatever any diabetic nurse or even consultant says, I find out for myself and see what works. In my opinion that is the very best way to approaching this. As you say , many of the diabetic nurses seem to be so brainwashed by past training that they do not know about nor appreciate the things have been discovered since their training. The NHS is often, it seems to me, a bit stuck in tradition with their views, and REAL experience cannot simply be replaced simply by orthodox learning. Best thing, seems to me, is to consider everything, but keep monitoring in real life and testing what we are told (from wherever), to see what shows itself to be valid....?

I've been reading some articles on T1D and I find them quite interesting. This is one of them and has lots of articles. There are some things I disagree with, however, still lots of good info. https://diatribe.org/diabetes-type/type-1 I also ordered Adam Brown's book on Amazon.ca (Bright Spots & Landmines) for my Kindle, so it was cheaper. He likes to go low carb, which I also like. I don't know if you've seen this site yet, so I thought I'd let you know. Hope you don't mind.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I've been reading some articles on T1D and I find them quite interesting. This is one of them and has lots of articles. There are some things I disagree with, however, still lots of good info. https://diatribe.org/diabetes-type/type-1 I also ordered Adam Brown's book on Amazon.ca (Bright Spots & Landmines) for my Kindle, so it was cheaper. He likes to go low carb, which I also like. I don't know if you've seen this site yet, so I thought I'd let you know. Hope you don't mind.

No, quite the contrary. Thank you very much - I shall take a look at both recommendations! Thank you!

ChelsM96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Written by Stephen Ponder and from the sugarsurfing.com website, this extract is what all newly diagnosed type 1’s should be told, please share:

Type 1 diabetes often arrives totally unexpected. Shock, denial, fear, and sadness are usual first reactions. For most, the maelstrom of negative emotions swirling around the person and family will significantly influence what happens next. The following are the top 5 things I feel are essential to convey early into the diagnosis: if not at the very first encounter in the emergency room, hospital, or clinic. These points are based on 35 years of caring for hundreds of newly diagnosed persons with type 1 diabetes of all ages. They are tempered by my own 55 years of living with type 1 diabetes. They are not necessarily in order of importance, except for perhaps the first.

1. No one caused this. Many persons harbor feelings of guilt that something they did (or did not do) led to diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is the result of an autoimmune action taken against the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. No acts of volition or omission cause this to happen. That must be made clear from the start. There is no room for guilt and shame in diabetes and it is vital to dispel this at the beginning. I aim for this to be the first thing I teach. Often there is an audible sigh of relief after this information is shared. This makes it easier to introduce the other key points.

2. A normal life is the goal. Life with type 1 diabetes has never been brighter. With ongoing support and diabetes education, all of life’s opportunities remain within the grasp of persons with diabetes. When complemented with emerging tools and technologies, the person with diabetes should expect a fulfilling life and career in whatever field of endeavor they seek. Barriers still exist in a dwindling number of professions, such as active combat military service. The future has never been brighter for the person or child with type 1 diabetes to excel in whatever life path they set upon.

3. There is no good or bad. Life is a never-ending series of grades, ratings, and report cards. Diabetes can easily get become overrun with self-judgment or the unnecessary judgment of others. No matter how well meaning, there is no morality in diabetes. This is a metabolic disorder not of a person’s choosing. It requires knowledge, experience and understanding to manage it from day to day. Diabetes care is a process, not an outcome. Since diabetes is overrun with numbers, it is a seductive trap to use words like “good” and “bad’ in association with these, either with oneself or in front of loved ones with the condition. Aim to avoid using “good” or “bad” to describe diabetes or its management. Blood sugars can be “in range”, “high” or “low” and A1C results can be “in target” or “out of target”.

4. Diabetes care is defined by one’s choices. It is said the average adult makes 35,000 discrete choices each day. Over half of these choices are habit-driven (i.e., we are not always aware of them) and the rest are consciously made. But the total number remains staggering. Our everyday lives are defined by these choices, both those we act upon and those we do not. Acts of omission weigh heavily in the world of diabetes. Just imagine the effect of not taking a scheduled dose of insulin, or not checking a blood sugar value before a critical activity. What about not eating a meal after taking a dose of rapid-acting insulin? Choices are the currency of effective blood sugar self-management.

5. Do not compare yourself to others. You are unique. We live in the post-social media world. Many of us constantly share intimate details of our everyday lives and innermost feelings online with strangers through online platforms. Whether through a post, image, or video clip, we aim for others to see us the way we wish them to, and vice-versa. The diabetes online community can be invaluable as a means of support for persons with diabetes. But it can also be viewed by some as a yardstick upon which we measure ourselves. This leads to unfair comparisons, and at times envy. It can also be a source of bullying and shaming. Everyone’s diabetes is different in thousands of ways. Avoid comparing your life (or the life of your loved one with diabetes) to others. Like the good-bad trap, comparisons typically lead to jealousy and frustration.

I needed to read this, as being newly diagnosed it's a massive shock. This is a good starting point for people, so thank you

Chellec78

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Written by Stephen Ponder and from the sugarsurfing.com website, this extract is what all newly diagnosed type 1’s should be told, please share:

Type 1 diabetes often arrives totally unexpected. Shock, denial, fear, and sadness are usual first reactions. For most, the maelstrom of negative emotions swirling around the person and family will significantly influence what happens next. The following are the top 5 things I feel are essential to convey early into the diagnosis: if not at the very first encounter in the emergency room, hospital, or clinic. These points are based on 35 years of caring for hundreds of newly diagnosed persons with type 1 diabetes of all ages. They are tempered by my own 55 years of living with type 1 diabetes. They are not necessarily in order of importance, except for perhaps the first.

1. No one caused this. Many persons harbor feelings of guilt that something they did (or did not do) led to diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is the result of an autoimmune action taken against the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. No acts of volition or omission cause this to happen. That must be made clear from the start. There is no room for guilt and shame in diabetes and it is vital to dispel this at the beginning. I aim for this to be the first thing I teach. Often there is an audible sigh of relief after this information is shared. This makes it easier to introduce the other key points.

2. A normal life is the goal. Life with type 1 diabetes has never been brighter. With ongoing support and diabetes education, all of life’s opportunities remain within the grasp of persons with diabetes. When complemented with emerging tools and technologies, the person with diabetes should expect a fulfilling life and career in whatever field of endeavor they seek. Barriers still exist in a dwindling number of professions, such as active combat military service. The future has never been brighter for the person or child with type 1 diabetes to excel in whatever life path they set upon.

3. There is no good or bad. Life is a never-ending series of grades, ratings, and report cards. Diabetes can easily get become overrun with self-judgment or the unnecessary judgment of others. No matter how well meaning, there is no morality in diabetes. This is a metabolic disorder not of a person’s choosing. It requires knowledge, experience and understanding to manage it from day to day. Diabetes care is a process, not an outcome. Since diabetes is overrun with numbers, it is a seductive trap to use words like “good” and “bad’ in association with these, either with oneself or in front of loved ones with the condition. Aim to avoid using “good” or “bad” to describe diabetes or its management. Blood sugars can be “in range”, “high” or “low” and A1C results can be “in target” or “out of target”.

4. Diabetes care is defined by one’s choices. It is said the average adult makes 35,000 discrete choices each day. Over half of these choices are habit-driven (i.e., we are not always aware of them) and the rest are consciously made. But the total number remains staggering. Our everyday lives are defined by these choices, both those we act upon and those we do not. Acts of omission weigh heavily in the world of diabetes. Just imagine the effect of not taking a scheduled dose of insulin, or not checking a blood sugar value before a critical activity. What about not eating a meal after taking a dose of rapid-acting insulin? Choices are the currency of effective blood sugar self-management.

5. Do not compare yourself to others. You are unique. We live in the post-social media world. Many of us constantly share intimate details of our everyday lives and innermost feelings online with strangers through online platforms. Whether through a post, image, or video clip, we aim for others to see us the way we wish them to, and vice-versa. The diabetes online community can be invaluable as a means of support for persons with diabetes. But it can also be viewed by some as a yardstick upon which we measure ourselves. This leads to unfair comparisons, and at times envy. It can also be a source of bullying and shaming. Everyone’s diabetes is different in thousands of ways. Avoid comparing your life (or the life of your loved one with diabetes) to others. Like the good-bad trap, comparisons typically lead to jealousy and frustration.
I am really struggling I'm from the uk I got diagnosed in2018 after pancreas not working and I cant get mine in check I'm on long and short insulin and metformin and mine keep reaching 25 and above

Reactions: plantae

CJa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1. Don't use to much carbs to correct a hypo and be patient. I successfully use between 6 and 12 grams.

2. Fat and protein can increase your blood sugars for upto 2 and 5 hours after eating.

3. Stay in touch with your feet. Many diabetics have or circulation leading to many complications. And watch/treat for fungus.

4. Have personal goals to improve your control. I have always wanted a good week, ie seven good days in a row. I'm still working on it.

5. Reduce your carb intake. Low carb diets soften the control tremors.

Reactions: Cornelio

soph9219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos, people
OK, now I'm really upset. My laptop is not working properly and the post I had just written disappeared. I will start again. I haven't been on this forum for about two years. Today I decided to check in and saw this post on the 5 things I need to know. I thought I was managing the emotional part pretty well, however, it seems I'm stuck in shock, fear, sadness and anger. I was just asking myself this week what did I do to get diabetes? I follow the LCHF lifestyle and get so frustrated when my BG goes up even though I'm not eating carbs. I so want to go out and eat something really 'normal', like a great big order of chips. I was (mis)diagnosed with T2 in March 2017, at 69, went on LCHF and everything was going well until a severe bout of DKA knocked me down in May 2019. I was then diagnosed T1 and am now on insulin. I'm now 72. My DE said I'm on the lowest doses that she's seen and doesn't understand when I tell her I'm not eating carbs. No sugar, no regular flours, nothing. I feel sometimes that I'm alone in this battle. I really need to reach acceptance so I can get rid of the sadness and anger, before it kills me. And, I know I need to be more regular on here because I need the support that I can't seem to find around here. I would really appreciate some tips from folks who are or have gone through all these emotions. Thanks. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Hi @Lynnzhealth I’m sorry to hear what you are going through. Have you had a look at Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution? I bought a copy off eBay or Amazon about a year back and it’s very informative :)
Take care

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynnzhealth I’m sorry to hear what you are going through. Have you had a look at Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution? I bought a copy off eBay or Amazon about a year back and it’s very informative :)
Take care
Hi Soph9219. Thanks. Things have improved since I wrote that post a couple of years ago. Yes, I have Dr. Bernstein's book and have read it and I'm also on a couple of forums. Hopefully things are going well with you, too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never heard of decision fatigue, but that's exactly it. Some days I get so tired (frustrated) of making these decisions or even trying to figure them out. I am an all or nothing kind of girl and I need to know why for anything. I must have been a very annoying kid. Did anyone know that even taking Vitamin C can have an effect on BG? I didn't know that until I took some one day and my BG shot up. HUH? So, I read that part in Dr. Bernstein's book and yep, it happens if one takes more than 250 mg. a day. My brain is getting too old for all this. There is so much information to absorb that I forget what I read yesterday. Take care.
Welcome to my world. Always looking for answers and it is getting me down no end.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lynnzhealth

Lyn T

OK, now I'm really upset. My laptop is not working properly and the post I had just written disappeared. I will start again. I haven't been on this forum for about two years. Today I decided to check in and saw this post on the 5 things I need to know. I thought I was managing the emotional part pretty well, however, it seems I'm stuck in shock, fear, sadness and anger. I was just asking myself this week what did I do to get diabetes? I follow the LCHF lifestyle and get so frustrated when my BG goes up even though I'm not eating carbs. I so want to go out and eat something really 'normal', like a great big order of chips. I was (mis)diagnosed with T2 in March 2017, at 69, went on LCHF and everything was going well until a severe bout of DKA knocked me down in May 2019. I was then diagnosed T1 and am now on insulin. I'm now 72. My DE said I'm on the lowest doses that she's seen and doesn't understand when I tell her I'm not eating carbs. No sugar, no regular flours, nothing. I feel sometimes that I'm alone in this battle. I really need to reach acceptance so I can get rid of the sadness and anger, before it kills me. And, I know I need to be more regular on here because I need the support that I can't seem to find around here. I would really appreciate some tips from folks who are or have gone through all these emotions. Thanks. Stay safe and stay healthy.
I may be entering into a similar position as you. I was diagnosed T2 in Sept 20 & immediately cut down carbs, lost weight, got down from HbA1C 54 to 44, now very low carb and sitting at HbA1C of 41. But since then have been tested and found to have the T1 antibodies. I remain drug free currently & in remission however I’m being watched carefully for signs of T1.

Consultant and diabetes dieticians tell me I’m unusual but I think there are possibly many of us T2-T1s out here!

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may be entering into a similar position as you. I was diagnosed T2 in Sept 20 & immediately cut down carbs, lost weight, got down from HbA1C 54 to 44, now very low carb and sitting at HbA1C of 41. But since then have been tested and found to have the T1 antibodies. I remain drug free currently & in remission however I’m being watched carefully for signs of T1.

Consultant and diabetes dieticians tell me I’m unusual but I think there are possibly many of us T2-T1s out here!
When I ended up in the ER in 2019 and dx'd as really T1, the specialists told me I was unique as they hadn't seen that happen before in over 35 yrs as Endos. Then within three months one of them told me that he had another case after me. I wonder how many more they've had since then?

I believe I have also discovered why it's hard to regulate my A1C and BG. I had the bariatric surgery (stomach staples) 42 years ago. What they didn't know (or knew very little about) back then was that the newly arranged stomach does NOT absorb nutrients and it also affects the way/time food is absorbed. Very had to get the dosage right. And, one was/is supposed to take a very good multivitamin FOREVER. So, now I'm taking a multi for bariatric patients, hoping to fix some of the damage. Good grief.

I did ask both my Dr and diabetic educator on different occasions about the effect the staples would have on T1D. They said it shouldn't have any effect. So, lately I've been researching all about Bariatric surgery and it seems I was on the right track. I do wish the med prof would read some of these studies and get up to date. They still promote the same old carb plan, but in moderation. Sheesh.

Andrew2018

I like the way you have put it, but on point 5, I agree, except that the worst offenders are the Doctors themselves. I get unwarranted advice and comment from my GP, who is not specialist trained, and whose surgery passed my diabetic care over to the Diabetic Unit in my local hospital, so my treatment is discussed with specialist nurses and the Consultant. This was done because after 35 years of type 1, the usual problematic issues have arisen outside the ability of the GP to handle. Makes me laugh when the GP critiques my HBa1C etc, demands change, and when reviewed by the Clinic the comment is the GP hasn't a clue and for my age etc it is within reason and they know I am doing the best I can. I was in hospital for other reasons just before Christmas, and the ward Dr's were happy to quote figures, oblivious to the fact they themselves ignored my diabetes leading to 24 hours of no fast insulin, and a corresponding peak in blood glucose so high it went out of the Libre sensor range ( 27 plus), which they simply failed to respond to.

• Hug

FR

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m low carb too - docs say my Hba1c is in non diabetic too because I’m the same - I eat no carbs - no white flour gluten carbs etc
It can be hard!

I have found some joy recently in some amazing keto products that I thought I’d share incase the low carb approach is getting you down - I still need sweet treats to keep me sane that don’t raise my bloods - so hope these might bring some joy to your low carb world

Sweet keto chef - he’s a proper chef who does wonderful things with chocolate - his chocolate is lovely - made with eyrithritol - ‘Peru 42’ chocolate tastes just like milk chocolate - ‘Gold’ tastes like caramel white choc

Keto8 - has sesame bagels tgat go great with scrambled eggs when I need a “bread” fix - made with almond flour so no effect on blood sugar

Ketoroma bakery does wraps, keto sausage rolls and pasties! No effect on bloods made with almond flour etc

Go low baking - does a great crepe and pancake mix you just add eggs to that gives me a savoury crepe fix!

Kinetic kitchen does a great keto cinnamon bun for a low carb treat

Palmini angel hair pasta alternative is my spaghetti bolognese go to - or a carbonara too! Just boil it for 10min - it definitely doesn’t taste like floury pasta but it still tastes different but good - hope you like it
Lots to find and experiment out there - the low carb or keto products available are ever increasing!

Hope this helps bring some joy into your low carb food like it has for me

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m low carb too - docs say my Hba1c is in non diabetic too because I’m the same - I eat no carbs - no white flour gluten carbs etc
It can be hard!

I have found some joy recently in some amazing keto products that I thought I’d share incase the low carb approach is getting you down - I still need sweet treats to keep me sane that don’t raise my bloods - so hope these might bring some joy to your low carb world

Sweet keto chef - he’s a proper chef who does wonderful things with chocolate - his chocolate is lovely - made with eyrithritol - ‘Peru 42’ chocolate tastes just like milk chocolate - ‘Gold’ tastes like caramel white choc

Keto8 - has sesame bagels tgat go great with scrambled eggs when I need a “bread” fix - made with almond flour so no effect on blood sugar

Ketoroma bakery does wraps, keto sausage rolls and pasties! No effect on bloods made with almond flour etc

Go low baking - does a great crepe and pancake mix you just add eggs to that gives me a savoury crepe fix!

Kinetic kitchen does a great keto cinnamon bun for a low carb treat

Palmini angel hair pasta alternative is my spaghetti bolognese go to - or a carbonara too! Just boil it for 10min - it definitely doesn’t taste like floury pasta but it still tastes different but good - hope you like it
Lots to find and experiment out there - the low carb or keto products available are ever increasing!

Hope this helps bring some joy into your low carb food like it has for me
Good morning/afternoon from Canada.

I find low carb a bit harder after five years doing it because I don't like cooking. I love sweets, though. I really do need to eat more protein and veggies. Thanks for the sites. I did save the Chef one. I thought these were UK because one said 'crisps' and we say 'chips'. It's Biscuits in the UK, but Cookies in Canada. I could go on with this, you know. I watch lots of British shows.

We have another thing in common - my mother was a war bride from Bristol, so I have lots of cousins over there.

I have one site that I really love. https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ I have others, too, but she is the best. Good thing I like baking. Occasionally I'll find some ready-baked goods at one or two places here on Prince Edward Island, just to take a break.

My A1C in early Jan. was 6.5 and my diabetic educator was agast! Because I'm this close to 75, she says I need to be 7 or more. NOT! I want to be at least 6 or less. Even at my age I don't want diabetes to wreak havoc on my insides. What's she thinking? Oh right, she hasn't read Dr. B's book and is still following the old guidelines that she learned way back when. I cringe everytime I see an obituary that mentions diabetes, along with heart and/or kidney dialysis. What a tragedy for these people. If only the med professionals would get into 2023.

Now, if I could only find someone who would cook for me, I'd be really filled with joy. I usually cook up a beef stew or chicken pot pie and freeze separate meals. All keto, of course. But I would like freshly cooked chicken breast/veggies or some other protein.

Thanks again for your informtion. Keep up the good work.

Lynn

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was initially diagnosed as T1 but have since been "upgraded" to T3c (lucky me!) I am in constant pain, and when I say pain I mean 10 out of 10. In the last few weeks I've also had many hypoglyceamic events. I wish you the best

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning/afternoon from Canada.

I find low carb a bit harder after five years doing it because I don't like cooking. I love sweets, though. I really do need to eat more protein and veggies. Thanks for the sites. I did save the Chef one. I thought these were UK because one said 'crisps' and we say 'chips'. It's Biscuits in the UK, but Cookies in Canada. I could go on with this, you know. I watch lots of British shows.

We have another thing in common - my mother was a war bride from Bristol, so I have lots of cousins over there.

I have one site that I really love. https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ I have others, too, but she is the best. Good thing I like baking. Occasionally I'll find some ready-baked goods at one or two places here on Prince Edward Island, just to take a break.

My A1C in early Jan. was 6.5 and my diabetic educator was agast! Because I'm this close to 75, she says I need to be 7 or more. NOT! I want to be at least 6 or less. Even at my age I don't want diabetes to wreak havoc on my insides. What's she thinking? Oh right, she hasn't read Dr. B's book and is still following the old guidelines that she learned way back when. I cringe everytime I see an obituary that mentions diabetes, along with heart and/or kidney dialysis. What a tragedy for these people. If only the med professionals would get into 2023.

Now, if I could only find someone who would cook for me, I'd be really filled with joy. I usually cook up a beef stew or chicken pot pie and freeze separate meals. All keto, of course. But I would like freshly cooked chicken breast/veggies or some other protein.

Thanks again for your informtion. Keep up the good work.

Lynn
I was initially diagnosed as T1 but have since been "upgraded" to T3c (lucky me!) I am in constant pain, and when I say pain I mean 10 out of 10. In the last few weeks I've also had many hypoglyceamic events. I wish you the best
WOW! I don't think I've heard of that type before. That's not good. I can't imagine being in that much pain. I don't believe I could handle it. Do you have one of the monitoring systems? I have the FreeStyle Libre 2. It's much easier when all I do is wear a sensor and use my reader.

My BG goes down very fast. I have to be constantly watching it. Sure alters one's lifestyle. Good thing I'm not one to party or go very far.

I was first (mis)diagnosed in 2017 when I was 69. Then I had a very serious DKA episode and ended up in the ER for 4 days. Puzzled all the specialists. Turns out I had T1. That was worse because I could control my BG with low carb and exercise, no meds, no insulin. Now it's up and down a lot, even doing the same things, but using insulin. Very frustrating. One major problem is that I had the stomach stapling nearly 43 years ago and they knew practically nothing about it. Needless to say, it's come back to haunt me. And, of course, getting older has a couple of other med issues involved.

I sure hope they can do something about your constant pain. I sincerely wish you the best, too.

Barbie3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was really interested to read your post even though it was from a while ago. I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic just after Christmas this year but within a month and with BG readings of 33 +, my antibody tests came back as type 1 - all at the age of 72, and am on insulin 4 times a day with BG readings (meant to be) 7 times a day. As a needle phobic I am shocked, angry and distraught and can’t face the thought of doing this for the rest of my life. I ask myself if I will ever accept all the limitations. Any tips for coming to terms with it all please?

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was really interested to read your post even though it was from a while ago. I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic just after Christmas this year but within a month and with BG readings of 33 +, my antibody tests came back as type 1 - all at the age of 72, and am on insulin 4 times a day with BG readings (meant to be) 7 times a day. As a needle phobic I am shocked, angry and distraught and can’t face the thought of doing this for the rest of my life. I ask myself if I will ever accept all the limitations. Any tips for coming to terms with it all please?
Have you considered the little “Tickleflex” device to help with needle phobia? I use it just to help inject one handed in harder to reach places but have also noticed not feeling the injection, to the point I’ve wondered “ did that actually go in?” I ordered mine directly from the website. Quite inexpensive so maybe worth a shot?

• Informative