Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, it’s already pretty warm here. A Frio’s ready to store the basal insulin when I take the bolus insulin, in another Frio, to see the friend with the glioblastoma. She begins a new treatment tomorrow, with possibly nasty side effects, so I really don’t want to defer this chance to drink tea with her and her husband in their garden.
The nattering’s good, and even if she doesn’t always find the right words who cares? We all know that world’s full of thingies and whatsits and it always will be. She’s amazing, even enjoyed the last visit to the hospital as it turned out that the thingy she discussed the new treatment with, the new thing, had grown up in Ghana, where she and her husband spent a few years in their youth so as much time was spent talking about the places and life they knew as well as thingies medical.
I’ll be doing an LFT before I go. I don’t think they’ll want to spend a few hours indoors, and even if they did, it’d be in a room with windows and doors all open to the outside air. Well distanced. Lots of shade to be found outdoors.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@Fairygodmother @hh1 @Marie 2

Thanks for your replies.

I think if I had known exactly how low I was, I probably would have eaten something but I usually start to get hypo feelings in the mid 4's so I thought I had a bit more time. About 2 weeks ago I had a 2.9 hypo without any feelings which has left me worrying a little about hypo awareness.

As for the thumb, I had the operation on Saturday 24th April, and the infection started a couple of weeks prior to that, so yes it's been going on a while. I'm grateful that I am not in any pain and the biggest problem is trying to keep the bandage dry. I must have looked a bit strange as I washed the car yesterday (not done for 2 years) wearing a single industrial style rubber glove.

@Fairygodmother - I was quite amazed to discover that the first tunnels were created in the Napoleonic era. Can't have been pleasant down there in the age before air conditioning or fan ventilation shafts. Yes I agree with you, for a supposedly intelligent species, we do seem to be rather preoccupied with war but of course in the modern age, selling guns and tanks equals money in somebody's back pocket.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I remember a few years ago someone experimenting with using insulin left in a hot car and he said it still worked fine. A few other experiments ensued. But I still used a frio pack when I left it in the car while snorkeling for hours. But I would forget bringing a frio a lot and it always seemed completely okay. So I stopped worrying about it and just leave it in my purse in the closed up car and it's been fine. I use Humalog and the people I know that l had left it in the car, or out for lengths of time, it was Humalog too. So I never knew if it was unique to Humalog. But I ran across this article a few months ago and figured it was about time someone researched it! It's hardier than you think.

https://asweetlife.org/study-shows-insulin-can-be-maintained-in-hot-climates-without-refrigeration/

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0245372

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Interesting Marie. I use Fiasp, in a cartridge as I use a pen, and I’ve noticed it’s more temperamental in hot temperatures than Novo, and definitely much less bombproof than the Soluble in a vial that travelled around with me in the dry heat of the West African sahel.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still get humalog as back up pen for pump (just never got round to changing prescription and use it so rarely as a correction if end up over 14), and it works fine for at least 2/3 months out of the fridge in my bag. Fiasp used in pump loses its effectiveness much quicker in hot weather as fairygodmother says. Tend to fill cartridges for pump with insulin straight from fridge (I know you shouldn't) and return vial to fridge, otherwise end up throwing half of it out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother ,

If you cast your mind back a few months I wrote off the Watlaa watch ever working with the Libre 2 algorithm?
I aquired a Bubble mini bridge at the time in the hope it would work with the watch.
The Miaomiao I had been using with the L1s was giving no joy & the battery life after a full charge was demonising to the point it needed recharging every couple of days?
The watch saw the bubble after a firmware update but there was an issue with the Libre 2.

After many firmware updates on the Bubble no joy.
I was still using the watch as a.. Watch.
Yesterday, I recharged the bubble & found a new firmware update for it using an updated Bubble app on my phone? Then reset the bubble.
I forgot all about it.. Then just for the hell of it I placed the Bubble over the sensor & tethered the watch...
Hey presto, the watch vibrated & it now works.... :D I now have L2 BG updates on my watch.

It only took about 6months?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

I am setting Mt libre 2 sensor between 4 and 10 the default seeting.
Anyone like me?
I still use the Libre 1, and I set the alert range at 4.8 to 8.2. I tell myself that it gives me time to correct, but I’m thinking of reducing the high alert to 7.8. Since there’s a 15 min lag between interstitial glucose and blood sugars, the lower alert might give me more time to catch it if there’s an upward or up-slanting arrow. I can always increase the time between alerts if I need to; currently I have it at 15 mins for the 4.8 and 25 mins for the 8.2.
I’ve hesitated because sometimes I have a rise late in the evening when it takes longer for the correction to bite, and I do resent being kept awake if I know there’ll be a slow slide back to range. If I’m really tired I turn the alerts off. Naughty!?

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
clever way for setting it a bit low like 8.2 (compare to me) to catch up with highs. But do not you have hypos after that?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
clever way for setting it a bit low like 8.2 (compare to me) to catch up with highs. But do not you have hypos after that?
Yes, I do sometimes get lows. The 10:1 carb:insulin works fine most of the time but there are occasions when I wish I had a quarter unit pen, not a half unit one. I also sometimes have to decide whether to eat a jelly baby’s head or its feet for a correction. However, I’m rarely perfect.

Reactions: hh1

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I do sometimes get lows. The 10:1 carb:insulin works fine most of the time but there are occasions when I wish I had a quarter unit pen, not a half unit one. I also sometimes have to decide whether to eat a jelly baby’s head or its feet for a correction. However, I’m rarely perfect.
Hi Sitting here waiting for my BG to go up slightly. How much does half a jelly baby usually raise your BG ? I know we are all different but just to give me a rough guide.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I will pop in with an amount for me as I have a feeling we all vary!

For me the jelly babies I have are 2 carbs each. If I need to eat them, I am usually eating 2, so 4 carbs. So 2 jelly babies will at least give me an increase of 10 points in about 10-15 minutes. Eventually I will go up about another 5-10 points. That can vary of course depending why I need the jelly babies, am I trending down or have I been fairly stable at a lower number.

My alarms are set at 4.4 and 7.2. I have a Dexcom though. That gives me time to either decide to eat something if I am trending down, or get on my exercise bike to stall a trend up. (Or wildly move my arms fast if I'm not at home :angelic:)

Reactions: hh1

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will pop in with an amount for me as I have a feeling we all vary!

For me the jelly babies I have are 2 carbs each. If I need to eat them, I am usually eating 2, so 4 carbs. So 2 jelly babies will at least give me an increase of 10 points in about 10-15 minutes. Eventually I will go up about another 5-10 points. That can vary of course depending why I need the jelly babies, am I trending down or have I been fairly stable at a lower number.

My alarms are set at 4.4 and 7.2. I have a Dexcom though. That gives me time to either decide to eat something if I am trending down, or get on my exercise bike to stall a trend up. (Or wildly move my arms fast if I'm not at home :angelic:)
Thank you

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is me too. I often bite a Jelly Baby in half when I just need a nudge. Very early have more than one. I find one 4 carb J B raises me about 3 mmol which can be too much.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hope that one jelly baby will raise bloods by one and a half mmol, but it can vary depending on the stuff my endocrine system’s up to.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yawn! Night hypo woken by Miaomiao attached to Libre 2
It's a waste of space
I do orange juice which speeds me through the roof, might give jelly baby heads a go

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I should have said my poor hard working endocrine system, still trying to do its best without the Beta cells. I’m tempted to make an impolite comparison between the work to do when Beta cells are missing and a few human situations but that would probably get me told off, or banned.

I did do an LFT yesterday, negative (hooray), before I went to see the friend with the glioblastoma. She’s looking even thinner, not good, but we sat outdoors side by side, in the shade, and talked of this and that. I do so hope the potentially nasty treatment she begins today will hold it. Three days of downing a strong medicine, which she could not describe let alone name, followed by one day off. She’s full of trepidation. Yesterday evening a cheerful, bustling, warm Spanish neighbour of theirs was having them over to share a big tapas as a great taste-it-all-and-you-won’t-throw-it-up-again delight before the treatment begins.
We have it easy with T1. Most of the time.