What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think it’d work ok as a flour substitute in coatings? I’ve never used it before and don’t know if it’d give the same crispy result
I don't see it being a problem. It wouldn't work if you needed a "rise" in it (at least not without additions) but as a coating it's fine. I use it mainly to coat meats/fish before egg dipping then coating in LC mix. It makes it stick better.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @shelley262 and good to see you! I have oat fibre ( 0.3G carbs/100g from buywholefoodsonline.co.uk ) I was just wondering if I could substitute it for wheat flour in my ‘KFC’ chicken coating recipe. What do you think?
What else is in the coating?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone here eats such small portions and have such great portion control. How do you guys do it please?
Ignore my posts in this thread to start with, I usually only share my main meal and not what I eat over the rest of the day.

Have you had a go at calculating the calories in your food?
What you describe as a daily intake looks like it is rather low in protein and fats, so you might be on a low calorie diet by accident, leaving you hungry.

Reactions: maglil55

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast Sandwich & Coffee 35gs of Carbs
Cashews & 7-Up Free 20gs pf carbs
85% Lindt Chocolate & Coffee 15gs of Carbs
Ham, carrots, sweetcorn, baby potatoes, garlic butter 50gs of carbs
1 can of Guinness, 2 Glasses of red wine 18gs of carbs
All good

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 6.8 FBG 6.7

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken. To my horror I've just taken my last SLC loaf from the freezer so got a hurried order placed.
L. Nothing- out for shopping
D. Back to cold cuts! Slice each of ox tongue, mortadella, 6 of these mini German sausage and one of thin cut roast beef. Lettuce, tomato, coleslaw, waldorf salad and 2 mini mozzarella.

Today Sunday bed 6.2 FBG 6.6

B. 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken (again)
L. Nothing - at swimming lessons with the boys. Eldest didn't want to go in again but I had a chat with him to explain he'd agreed he had to try to start doing things again. Everything he managed is another achievement and look at where we are now. Reminded him he's been swimming with me twice in recent weeks, he's been wild swimming - this is just 30 mins. He took it on board and in he went for the whole lesson. He's feeling quite pleased with himself. He even cycled to ours later just to say Hi!
D. I had duck legs and a bit duck breast soaking in a mix of Agave, Tamari soy and mustard. Had the duck with peppers I'd stuffed with a mix of cauliflower rice, spring onion, finely chopped mushroom and pepper and a few peas. Mixed through some mozzarella and 5 mins before serving topped with red Leicester. I did have a Grenade ice cream later.

@DJC3 - He is a very kindly boy. He's always been really good with young children. My niece's daughter when she was teething, he was the only one that could make her laugh. He has always liked wearing hats (he does suit them). Currently he has a little trilby and his mini buddy wants one to be a little "mini me". He's spent some of his savings to get him one. I always thought his most effective move was when he recruited a couple of his friends to "patrol" with him at break to stop the little ones being bullied. Having been bullied himself he wanted to put a stop to it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 5% fage with seeds and a a few raspberries. Very creamy thick yoghurt but it was double the price of lidls own version.
L: 1 chicken leg and 30g cheese
Mid afternoon some raspberries. They were supposed to be picked and frozen but they never made it out of the garden!
D: roast lamb with cabbage carrots and broccoli. Then my final slice of lemon meringue pie, a much smaller piece than yesterday, and have finally given rest away. 1 small glass white.

The Quit Sugar on line Summit has just finished and I've listened to fair bit. Some interesting new research on glucose and cancers, on fructose, lots on motivation.... so why did I spend the entire time wanting sugary things I can't have? There's definitely something in me that as soon as I'm told "no", immediately wants it! I'm quite glad it's over

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late breakfast/lunch: While prepping, bunch of celery sticks and cucumbers in a cilantro-olive oil garlic dip. Had to have 2 grape tomatoes with it! Then ready was: Usual Portobellin mushroom, red pepper, dandelion greens omelette, along with 1 low-carb toast with aged white cheddar and 5 grape tomatoes and basil. Dessert: Bowl of pressed cottage cheese with few raspberries and handful of pumpkin seeds and a tsp of nut butter mixed in with cinnamon and coconut oil. How can I be still starving??? I must be doing something wrong. Everyone here eats such small portions and have such great portion control. How do you guys do it please? Right now drinking a matcha green tea to suppress any more hunger cravings...
Can I suggest you have a look at Diet Doctor diet doctor.com ? You'll notice on here meals that pop up like DD crusted omelette.
Many if us here kicked off using the Diet Doctor 2 week keto challenge. It's come a long way since then @DJC3 and myself did their 10 week challenge last year. They have complete meal plans and I found knowing what I was going to have helped a lot. The 2 week challenge is free (as is a number of their recipes) but you subscribe to get full functionality. Try the free trial.

I found it was too much food and had to reduce portions. It's easy as well as you only cook once a day as whatever you have for dinner you cook enough to have it for lunch next day as well. I don't count breakfast as cooking as it's straightforward.

The main thing is, after a few days I was never hungry. I still subscribe as they have so many permutations with the recipes and really useful articles/videos.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What else is in the coating?

Just the ‘11 secret herbs and spices’! can’t remember them all offhand, but I know there was paprika, mustard powder, celery salt, s&p. They are supposed to be mixed with flour for the coating and then of course deep fried but this recipe is for the airfryer. The chicken is soaked in buttermilk and patted dry before coating. I’ll post the recipe if it turns out ok.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!
I'm going to see if I can buy such a cut around here, it looks amazing!
My 'slow cooker' is of the old fasioned type, running on lamp oil, so not sure what 'high' on a slow cooker is. Would this be the very occasional 'blub' in the pot?

This is my slow cooker.
(Oxtail I made last year, in the bathroom to keep it safe from dogs and cats, and the bathroom can be closed.)
84701926_10219745075771721_4662930707755040768_n.jpg

We don't slow cook our pork or bacon hocks. For the bacon variant (much, MUCH deliciousness) we might give the joint a quick boil to remove some of the salt from curing, but once drained, just score the rind and roast in a slow oven until the meat is cooked, then if necessary boost the oven until the crackling is skyscraper magnificent.

Pork hock the same, only no boiling, but remove the hock from the oven after about 15-20-ish to score the rind -way, way easier than when cold, pre-cooking.

One thing I would comment is that there are plenty tendinous elements to the joints, so carving is more anatomical that slices, and there is quite a bit of "waste" from those bits, but, just save the bones and bits and create stock from whatever isn't scoffed.

Pork - 8/10. Bacon/Gammon = 12/10.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday last breakfast at the B&B which was what I had all week, scrambled eggs, grilled mushroom and portobello mushroom all cooked perfectly. Then 5 hour drive home and small bag salted peanuts in the car. Yesterday evening ordered Indian t/a Chicken Shaslik and cauli Bhajee and one popadom for me. End of holiday week.
Today. Brekkie of slice HiLo toast, lots of tea. Lunch will be rollitos and spoon cheesy coleslaw. Mr PM has asked for a meaty few days after a fishy week! Tonight chilli (small portion) with cauli rice.need a wine free week, might slip the occasional gin in which suits me better.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had post operative check first thing and my 6 stitches removed feels so much better - ones especially in roof of mouth very painful- and healing well, next operation on Nov 5th. Avoided breakfast as too nervy!
Lunch - once over procedure - two eggs scrambled in butter with a slice of hm lc buttered bread. Followed by a few home grown raspberries with 0% fage yoghurt.
Mid pm three squares of 90% choc and a few salted macadamia nuts
Dinner pulled pork with salad and a warmed low carb tortilla (4g of carb per tortilla) really enjoyed this - followed by warmed DGF ginger cake sprinkled with rum and warmed served with 0%fage yoghurt.
Planning tomorrow to make a large new low carb loaf for following week - I slice and freeze - and also a slow cooked passata using my large crop of home grown plum tomatoes. Will do passata slowly tomorrow - cool and then cook slowly again the following day using some high fat local grass fed beef mince for dinner Wednesday and Thursday.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had post operative check first thing and my 6 stitches removed feels so much better - ones especially in roof of mouth very painful- and healing well, next operation on Nov 5th.

Glad to hear your stitches are out and you are recovering well xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: ribs with broccoli, Brussels and a couple of baby carrots followed by SF blackcurrant jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.
I am currently eating a commercially produced keto granola, as I have run out of my home made one, and currently don’t feel well enough to stand long enough to make it :( However it is very tasty and has nice big chunky pieces of nuts in it :hungry:

DAAD101B-20D6-4473-9469-C9FB68BCA041.jpeg

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't slow cook our pork or bacon hocks. For the bacon variant (much, MUCH deliciousness) we might give the joint a quick boil to remove some of the salt from curing, but once drained, just score the rind and roast in a slow oven until the meat is cooked, then if necessary boost the oven until the crackling is skyscraper magnificent.
Mmmmm! Perhaps next time they will get roasted, these were intended for pea and ham soup but no dried peas again,so just some veggies were added. :D

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg and cheese omelette, two bbq sausages, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of chobani 15% protein greek yoghurt, glass of lemon / lime cordial with a scoop full of OsmoLax in it for smoko.
Steak and salad for dinner.
A toasted cheese and onion low carb sandwich, sugar free orange jelly, couple of spoon fulls of two fruits for supper at six.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 5% fage with seeds and raspberries
2 back to back exercise classes!
L: 2 small bits of cold lamb, some pate on cucumber slices. A piece of lc rhubarb and ginger cake from the freezer, reheated and topped with fage 5%
Feeling tired and grotty this afternoon so fell asleep. Not much better when woke up so cooked spaghetti and meatballs for the boys. Ended up with 1 meatball, 1 tiny bit of pate and a large glass of wine.
Nose now streaming and sneezing.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmmm! Perhaps next time they will get roasted, these were intended for pea and ham soup but no dried peas again,so just some veggies were added. :D

Have you tried making pea and ham soup with frozen peas? It's not quite the same as using dried peas, but it is very good.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just the ‘11 secret herbs and spices’! can’t remember them all offhand, but I know there was paprika, mustard powder, celery salt, s&p. They are supposed to be mixed with flour for the coating and then of course deep fried but this recipe is for the airfryer. The chicken is soaked in buttermilk and patted dry before coating. I’ll post the recipe if it turns out ok.
In which case oat fibre should be fine. Sounds like it's just a binder.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried making pea and ham soup with frozen peas? It's not quite the same as using dried peas, but it is very good.
Now my head is saying "Pea and ham, from a chicken? Now that's clever!".
I may never forget that ad.