EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, I am a marmite lover. This can be a bit of an issue when you live in the Southern hemisphere, but it is available here (albeit in tiny jars with the wrong name) and my dad can be relied on to give my entire nuclear family a big jar each for Christmas.

So, traditionally, before going low carb, I used to have it with bread and butter. Now I've cut right back on the bread, so I need something else to put it on (and it slides off cucumber). Any low carb suggestions?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have it on my current favorite seeded low carb bread, spread in a thick layer of butter with marmite. I also use a nice cracker, which is mainly low carb because it's very thin.
Have you tried indulging in using a slice of cheese instead of bread? Yes, that's including the butter on top, feels utterly naughty, tastes heavenly!

My cat is of the strong belief you should just lick it directly from the jar, which is a bit too extreme for me, but whenever I open the marmite pot it's a challenge to protect pot, lid and bread from Efraïm while preparing my food at the same time!
This can be a bit of an issue when you live in the Southern hemisphere, but it is available here
I can relate!
We Dutchies had a bit of a scare after Brexit, when suddenly marmite became very scarce, and we had no way of knowing if things would get better for a while. You'll understand my happiness when I found some dusty forgotten pots in a little small-town supermarket!
Thankfully things have gone back to normal on the marmite front :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You might also want to do a search on marmite on the forum. Yields 30 pages of results! :wideyed:

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have it on my current favorite seeded low carb bread, spread in a thick layer of butter with marmite. I also use a nice cracker, which is mainly low carb because it's very thin.
Have you tried indulging in using a slice of cheese instead of bread? Yes, that's including the butter on top, feels utterly naughty, tastes heavenly!

My cat is of the strong belief you should just lick it directly from the jar, which is a bit too extreme for me, but whenever I open the marmite pot it's a challenge to protect pot, lid and bread from Efraïm while preparing my food at the same time!

I can relate!
We Dutchies had a bit of a scare after Brexit, when suddenly marmite became very scarce, and we had no way of knowing if things would get better for a while. You'll understand my happiness when I found some dusty forgotten pots in a little small-town supermarket!
Thankfully things have gone back to normal on the marmite front :)
I bet it's nice to have a pet where nobody asks you why you called it a particular name! :happy:
Incidenatlly, I used to spread marmite on toast and pop it under the grill - it tasted cheesey.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Marmite also I slice different kind of vegetables. Heat it for 10 minutes in toaster oven spread coconut butter and Marmite on it have it for breakfast.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I love Marmite also I slice different kind of vegetables. Heat it for 10 minutes in toaster oven spread coconut butter and Marmite on it have it for breakfast.

So you basically use vegetables instead of toast? And the marmite goes on after toasting? Sounds like a plan...

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ryvita Wholegrain Crackerbread has got 3.5 grams of carbs per slice and used to handle peanut butter no problem when i was low carbing :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
OK, I am a marmite lover. This can be a bit of an issue when you live in the Southern hemisphere, but it is available here (albeit in tiny jars with the wrong name) and my dad can be relied on to give my entire nuclear family a big jar each for Christmas.

So, traditionally, before going low carb, I used to have it with bread and butter. Now I've cut right back on the bread, so I need something else to put it on (and it slides off cucumber). Any low carb suggestions?
Have you tried the NZ Marmite? I used it when I lived in NZ.
https://www.sanitarium.co.nz/products/spreads/marmite/marmite

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Trouble with marmite is I turn into the Cookie Monster, There is no off switch.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use fried halloumi chips for Marmite soldiers to dip in soft boiled eggs :hungry:

BEFD3FCF-75DB-442D-A22F-3187617A3B29.jpeg

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you tried the NZ Marmite? I used it when I lived in NZ.
https://www.sanitarium.co.nz/products/spreads/marmite/marmite

I haven't tried it but my husband isn't a fan. (You've got to understand, this is a whole family addiction. :)).

When my son was small (possibly before we moved to the Sothern hemisphere) he was very upset when he went to a friend's birthday party and found chocolate spread or nutella instead of marmite in a sandwich. Ugh, mud.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I haven't tried it but my husband isn't a fan. (You've got to understand, this is a whole family addiction. :)).

When my son was small (possibly before we moved to the Sothern hemisphere) he was very upset when he went to a friend's birthday party and found chocolate spread or nutella instead of marmite in a sandwich. Ugh, mud.
It tastes different to the British Marmite but it is unmistakably 'marmite.' I recommend it.

M

Member496333

I was once a massive Marmite hunter but no longer think about it since giving up bread.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It tastes different to the British Marmite but it is unmistakably 'marmite.' I recommend it.

Thanks, I'll give it a try but I put it on record that I've lived in Australia and vegemite does not work for me.:)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks, I'll give it a try but I put it on record that I've lived in Australia and vegemite does not work for me.:)
I'm Australian and vegemite is too salty for me. We're talking about marmite.

Sparks1224

If it slides off cucumber its not thick enough ! It doesnt slide of a spoon or the knife !!But seriously crispbreads are good especially with marmite and peanut butter!