What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

lindisfel

Expert
8h
Australian, verb: to waste time; to spend time in unnecessary and/or unproductive activities; to muck around; to faff about.

Here is one explanation on fartnarkling...

Photographers use it sometimes...

So, alas I did not make the word up @ianpspurs

We had a term in the beeb for incompetent engineering staff.

Fiddlefluffling

lindisfel

Expert
8h
You would have to be more careful if you were looking for Merlin's on the fell at the same time!
D.
Some kind person burnt the cafe at the top of Hartside down. I think it still needs rebuilding.
The top at over 1900 feet has tremendous views over North Cumbria to the Solway plain and the Lakeland Mountains to the West and when it's clear right into Dumfries and Galloway. beyond the Solway.

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8h

Some kind person burnt the cafe at the top of Hartside down. I think it still needs rebuilding.
The top at over 1900 feet has tremendous views over North Cumbria to the Solway plain and the Lakeland Mountains to the West and when it's clear right into Dumfries and Galloway. beyond the Solway.
Remember that happening - still not rebuilt. Very popular cafe with bikers and great meals.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.6 at 3 am

I am stressed after yesterday.
Too many biscuits.

My shared drains with Mr Insensitive Christmas lights were blocked. Outside my kitchen door, my only way out of the property at the front was awash with....you can guess...

I went on Twitter to communicate with the water board, because I cannot use the emergency telephone number. I usually do this when the idiot has blocked the shared drains.

They came at 3... Worked hard. Left at 5. It took them that long.

I told them that the shared joining drain was rebuilt twice in 2019 . And I had been told this wouldn't happen again

Anyway, they parked at the end of my driveway and were a bit into next doors driveway (Xmas lights neighbour). Obviously I had moved my car, off my driveway cos the first drain cover is there, so it was parked at the front of my wall in the road.

They were using the water from the pavement thingy to start the job. But Xmas lights neighbour's wife came out. I couldn't hear the conversation even with the aid of the app my phone which I held out of my front window. But the upshot was they moved their van and equipment to the other side of my car on the road, but outside AH'S bungalow (fortunately he had gone home after using screeching machinery all morning).

Well, Xmas light neighbour is the one with blocked drains too leading into the Y junction on my property outside my kitchen door which was blocked and awash...

It was as if the wife had told them to move from blocking her driveway, but she can get out the other side of that front. There is a very wide exit the other side of the whole paved area in front of their bungalow..

So, I then went out to see what was going on. And asked the men if I moved my car could they get closer to my driveway. They just said it was fine and nothing for me to worry about. So I went back in.

So did she tell them to move?

Finally after a couple of hours and gallon containers of chemicals, they finally packed up and went back to their van. I was watching from my from window, and then I realised they were going to drive away without saying they had finished ... and had they finished?

So I shot out, too quickly for me, (hurt my hammer toe badly on my right foot in the process, it is very bruised and painful) and one man said to the other in the van (I can lipread exceptionally well when some is a little distance from me), 'tell her to flush the toilet'. So the other man got out and told me to flush the toilet. So I came in , limping, flushed the toilet. It was okay. 'is that flushing okay ,' he said . I said yes, and asked if they had finished And the guy just said we've cleared it up to your drain cover, pointing to the one outside my kitchen door. And I frowned and asked if it had been cleared beyond that (meaning had they unblocked next door as well), and he just said 'we've sorted it up to your drain cover'. He didn't say anything more, turned round and got back in the van and they drove off.

And I am now slightly (very) confused

The whole thing had been solid with excrement and grease and waste that shouldn't have been in both drain covers to the top. It took the water board two solid hours to clear.

I hope the water board realise I am not responsible for the all/majority of that stuff.

I made a cup of tea, sat down, and I get a text message from the water board to say the job was finished..

Then I got another text, immediately after, from another no reply number but also the water board saying they will notify me within 7 days the further works that will be necessary to complete this job.

Now I am confused. I know this morning I was wishing very hard for my own drains and not shared with Xmas lights neighbour, but I never said that to the workmen.

The wife upset the workmen badly with whatever she said...

It is no skin off my nose, because I don't have to pay anything because it is a shared drain, and the Waterboard here do it for free on shared drains. But if something is repeatedly happening they are going to have something to say about it...

I will find out what it is when a letter comes from the water board. That is what happened on previous occasions saying what you must NOT put into drains. But I will be apprehensive until then...

I will do my creative thing later...

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 7.6 at 3 am

I am stressed after yesterday.
Too many biscuits.

My shared drains with Mr Insensitive Christmas lights were blocked. Outside my kitchen door, my only way out of the property at the front was awash with....you can guess...

I went on Twitter to communicate with the water board, because I cannot use the emergency telephone number. I usually do this when the idiot has blocked the shared drains.

They came at 3... Worked hard. Left at 5. It took them that long.

I told them that the shared joining drain was rebuilt twice in 2019 . And I had been told this wouldn't happen again

Anyway, they parked at the end of my driveway and were a bit into next doors driveway (Xmas lights neighbour). Obviously I had moved my car, off my driveway cos the first drain cover is there, so it was parked at the front of my wall in the road.

They were using the water from the pavement thingy to start the job. But Xmas lights neighbour's wife came out. I couldn't hear the conversation even with the aid of the app my phone which I held out of my front window. But the upshot was they moved their van and equipment to the other side of my car on the road, but outside AH'S bungalow (fortunately he had gone home after using screeching machinery all morning).

Well, Xmas light neighbour is the one with blocked drains too leading into the Y junction on my property outside my kitchen door which was blocked and awash...

It was as if the wife had told them to move from blocking her driveway, but she can get out the other side of that front. There is a very wide exit the other side of the whole paved area in front of their bungalow..

So, I then went out to see what was going on. And asked the men if I moved my car could they get closer to my driveway. They just said it was fine and nothing for me to worry about. So I went back in.

So did she tell them to move?

Finally after a couple of hours and gallon containers of chemicals, they finally packed up and went back to their van. I was watching from my from window, and then I realised they were going to drive away without saying they had finished ... and had they finished?

So I shot out, too quickly for me, (hurt my hammer toe badly on my right foot in the process, it is very bruised and painful) and one man said to the other in the van (I can lipread exceptionally well when some is a little distance from me), 'tell her to flush the toilet'. So the other man got out and told me to flush the toilet. So I came in , limping, flushed the toilet. It was okay. 'is that flushing okay ,' he said . I said yes, and asked if they had finished And the guy just said we've cleared it up to your drain cover, pointing to the one outside my kitchen door. And I frowned and asked if it had been cleared beyond that (meaning had they unblocked next door as well), and he just said 'we've sorted it up to your drain cover'. He didn't say anything more, turned round and got back in the van and they drove off.

And I am now slightly (very) confused

The whole thing had been solid with excrement and grease and waste that shouldn't have been in both drain covers to the top. It took the water board two solid hours to clear.

I hope the water board realise I am not responsible for the all/majority of that stuff.

I made a cup of tea, sat down, and I get a text message from the water board to say the job was finished..

Then I got another text, immediately after, from another no reply number but also the water board saying they will notify me within 7 days the further works that will be necessary to complete this job.

Now I am confused. I know this morning I was wishing very hard for my own drains and not shared with Xmas lights neighbour, but I never said that to the workmen.

The wife upset the workmen badly with whatever she said...

It is no skin off my nose, because I don't have to pay anything because it is a shared drain, and the Waterboard here do it for free on shared drains. But if something is repeatedly happening they are going to have something to say about it...

I will find out what it is when a letter comes from the water board. That is what happened on previous occasions saying what you must NOT put into drains. But I will be apprehensive until then...

I will do my creative thing later...
Shared drains can be an issue - we have one. When it blocked the first time, I sorted it out myself. On the second occasion, the water board came out, put a camera down and told my neighbour that wet wipes from their drain were causing a blockage and gave them a bill. No more wet wipes.

Reactions: SlimLizzy

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a red sky in the morning here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of chicken little came in at 5.8 this am

Youngest son turned up early evening so after dinner we sampled a new bottle of scotch that I had obtained. Well, not scotch but a Yorkshire single malt whisky called Filey Bay and very nice it was too. I have had a bottle from them every year since they began. Of course for the first couple of years they could not call it whisky but ‘first release’ and then ‘second release’.
There is a farmers market on today, down the coast a bit. We plan to go and have a look. We then have the girl in the bubble while mum and dad have a night out in Newcastle.

Art today - bit of an experiment. Hope you all have a very pleasant Saturday. My cafetière is already on the go.

upload_2021-10-9_7-19-36.jpeg

Reactions: mojo37

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to Saturday which appears to be the first this week, who knew? At 66 I have no need of all the time waking around 4.30 affords one and especially not in the mist, cold and dark of October. Upside is the new Swipey gave a 4.5. Downside was I uttered a very, very bad profanity at seeing 11S 10Lbs/74.4 kgs. Yes, I'm around 6 foot tall but I have no need of all that heft being old, wizened (not actually, just feel it internally), play no contact sport and having a piddling plot of land to tend. Other than that life's wonderful.:angelic: Whisky sounds good @dunelm, art looks great - thanks. Enjoy the farmer's market - socially distanced obs- and GIB time. @gennepher hug for the literal *hitshow yesterday, take it easy today and I pray your daily creative work brings calmness and joy. Julie and MIL are off to Wales today for a week of visiting relatives, places holding precious memories and a helicopter flight. Baring in mind her recent illnesses, increasing frailty (our 3 yo granddaughter blurted that out recently, gotta love children's honesty) methinks that is batpoo crazy for MIL. Valedictory tour would make sense but MIL has booked for another go next May:bigtears: Enjoy your day, wisely, securely and as happily as these mad times will allow.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Just finishing coffee then off to classes in Norwich.

Have just discovered that if you chop up avocado and hard boiled egg it is delicious. I don't like hard boiled eggs normally but they are lovely with avocado.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vinegar findings at reducing postprandial responses of blood glucose and insulin and a few interesting links
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16015276/
I'm loving this part: "The results indicate an interesting potential of fermented and pickled products containing acetic acid." Home made pickled onions incoming. Those who come into close contact with me may require respirators but science is science Julie. Anyhow, we've 2 dogs to blame. Win, win.:angelic:@Krystyna23040 that .5 was the lowest fbg I've seen here and everything is better with avocado. Basic food facts 101.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I'm loving this part: "The results indicate an interesting potential of fermented and pickled products containing acetic acid." Home made pickled onions incoming. Those who come into close contact with me may require respirators but science is science Julie. Anyhow, we've 2 dogs to blame. Win, win.:angelic:@Krystyna23040 that's the lowest fbg I've seen here and everything is better with avocado. Basic food facts 101.
Perhaps visits to the chip shop are on the cards, Ian? Vinegar yes but no salt for me. D.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps visits to the chip shop are on the cards, Ian? Vinegar yes but no salt for me. D.
Homemade ones are the only ones I like. Back in the day 2 sweet jars of pickled onions and 2 of pickled red cabbage for family P. Started around now, post Michaelmas Fair. I loved helping my mother with the job and eagerly waiting for them to be ready. I think I inherited my love of vinegar from my mother. If I reflect deeply enough I think I eat so much salad due to the tang of the apple cider vinegar in the vinaigrette. I greatly enjoy malt vinegar with seafood and have been known to eat vinegar sandwiches. In cold weather these Elsie days bone broth/bovril/stock cube with a big slug of ACV is often all the hot food I can stand.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shared drains can be an issue - we have one. When it blocked the first time, I sorted it out myself. On the second occasion, the water board came out, put a camera down and told my neighbour that wet wipes from their drain were causing a blockage and gave them a bill. No more wet wipes.
Thanks @dunelm
That is interesting information.
A quick resolution.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on a red sky in the morning here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of chicken little came in at 5.8 this am

Youngest son turned up early evening so after dinner we sampled a new bottle of scotch that I had obtained. Well, not scotch but a Yorkshire single malt whisky called Filey Bay and very nice it was too. I have had a bottle from them every year since they began. Of course for the first couple of years they could not call it whisky but ‘first release’ and then ‘second release’.
There is a farmers market on today, down the coast a bit. We plan to go and have a look. We then have the girl in the bubble while mum and dad have a night out in Newcastle.

Art today - bit of an experiment. Hope you all have a very pleasant Saturday. My cafetière is already on the go.

View attachment 51500
I like this painting @dunelm very much :)

lindisfel

Expert
Homemade ones are the only ones I like. Back in the day 2 sweet jars of pickled onions and 2 of pickled red cabbage for family P. Started around now, post Michaelmas Fair. I loved helping my mother with the job and eagerly waiting for them to be ready. I think I inherited my love of vinegar from my mother. If I reflect deeply enough I think I eat so much salad due to the tang of the apple cider vinegar in the vinaigrette. I greatly enjoy malt vinegar with seafood and have been known to eat vinegar sandwiches. In cold weather these Elsie days bone broth/bovril/stock cube with a big slug of ACV is often all the hot food I can stand.
You could always stick your hands in a wood ants pine needle nest when your walking in the woods ...they spray you with acetic acid for free.

lindisfel

Expert
A rare birders bird in West Yorkshire at the moment! Last one I think was Teesside 40 years ago.
Long toed Stint from Siberia. Should be migrating to Australia and countries in general area. Must have got confused doing the great circle over the Arctic Ocean and came down east Atlantic flyway.
D.