Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 15.57.04.png

Vegan propagandist... enough said?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, it's just I'm reading and gathering info about the keto diet -great and perhaps for some( it did say-some individuals)not so great.I'm doing keto and would like to have as much info as I can

Indeed and good on you..

Barnard however has form for spreading misinformation about anything that doesn't suit his agenda hence my comment.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/most-comprehensive-review-yet-of-keto-diets-finds/109670

From another forum I'm a member of with some very well informed ketogenic eaters. I believe the same article.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
allright, though there are several authors in the article.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Can anyone talk to me about this article?Thanks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8322232/#s3title

I hope this might help. Here is a link to a critique of the paper by Zoe Harcombe:

https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2021/08/keto-diet-under-attack/

One of the main criticisms of this paper (by Barnard et al.) seems to be that it primarily based on the "classic" ketogenic diet used for epilepsy (more fat, especially plant-based, including trans fats, and restricted protein) rather than the modern ketogenic diet for diabetes.

You might also want to google the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (which Barnard is part of), an organization promoting plant-based diets and opposing animal-based foods -- thus hardly an organization with a neutral stance towards the ketogenic diet.

Still don't understand why authors don't need to state their conflict of interests (not only financial, but also intellectual ones).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, it's just I'm reading and gathering info about the keto diet -great and perhaps for some( it did say-some individuals)not so great.I'm doing keto and would like to have as much info as I can
You might like to read up on Dr Atkins - 'doing keto' is often associated with rather rigid rules when all that is needed is to be in ketosis at whatever amount of carbs you find are appropriate for your as an individual.
So many people set out their regime, write a book and - well - then what? There is no sort of forward thinking - unlike New Diet Revolution, which has different stages and gives a lot of information about a lot of different things to think about as time passes.
I have had a lot of people argue against a low carb way of eating and I have simply replied, Dr Atkins never wrote that in anything I have read. Have you actually read the books?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you consider what a well formulated Keto diet has:
  1. Meat, Fish, Shell Fish
  2. Low sugar Vegetables
  3. Low sugar Fruit
  4. Nuts
  5. Seeds
  6. Diary
Compare those foods to those available on Dr Barnard's protocol, which has never had a surviving society in days gone by or present. The main life sustaining foods in the Keto diet are the most bioavailable to the human body and found in each region of the world; does not require a chemistry degree to put together or science to theoretically work. Has foods recognisable over generations, that great, great, great.....grand parents would recognise as food. Is the most studied diet. Has the majority of results for reversing Type 2 and managing Type 1 (don't have studies, based on the studies of low carb diets, case studies, social networks / influencers, Type 1 Grit).

Those with credentials who spread misinformation, should produce their case studies and their personal metrics - we can already get some inclinations that our eyes reveal.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, thanks to everyone for your viewpoints.

@ziggy_w yes, that may be it-it's the classic version.
@Resurgam I have- I read Dr Atkins' first bestselling book in 1978( or so) and did the diet at that time too.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do keto. I eat meat. I don't like supermarket meat. I like animals that have had a good life, stress free, grass fed. As a T2 I shouldn't eat over processed foods. If you look at some of these so called Plant Based meals, the ingredients are horrendous.

Follow the money when looking at articles. Who is paying for them?