Diabetic Cures?

Enjoyinglife

Can someone enlighten me if there are real cures or not for diabetes. If there are, I would really like to share the info with my parents who are dealing with diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd need to define "cure" and tell us which version of diabetes your parents have..

By changing what and when I ate my T2 went into remission.. if I went back to eating what I used to it would probably come back so you could say I'm not "cured". However every diagnostic test I have taken tells me I don't have T2 at the moment so...

Reactions: Megnala

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi yes you can go back into non diabetic levels but it will b and is hardwork. You have to limit carbs (I have not yet mastered this) to a very low amount. Avoid sugar obviously so no cakes, chocolate etc. The hardest thing I think they will find is avoiding roast or jacket potatoes. Basically just eat protein as in meat and vegetables. Even some fruit has to b avoided. An after dinner brisk walk is also recommended. You do not say how old your parents are but I would imagine this gets harder as you get older. It can b done (for type 2) but it is a life long way of living and (I think IMHO) very very hard. X

Reactions: coby

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Enjoyinglife , I hope your parents are ok.
I assume you are referring to type 2 diabetes. There are multiple types of diabetes and no cure or chance of remitting for Tyoe 1, MoDY.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, well done you for trying to help your folks, I know they are very proud to have such a caring child, I wished I had looked for a cure for my dad rather than accept his doctors terrible advice.

There is no known cure but with the correct diet, lots of people with type two can live a normal life as if they were in fact cured without the nasty complications I’m sure you’ve read about. You can call this a cure, just a temporary one.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One day there may be. It's work in progress.

I can vouch for a cheaper way to manage severe insulin resistance (severe type2). Which benefits health providers and in turn patients.

I agree hard work can be hugely beneficial but some people with multipal health conditions have additional work which can be overwhelming so good maintenance is acceptable in the frail or those challenged to make medical changes unaided.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Assuming their both Type 2 low carb will be their greatest help. A lot of the older generation were raised on porridge, toast, potatoes, fruit & all of these can be high carb. You can help them by researching low carb online for them & improving their diets.

You must be commended for your support

Reactions: Oceaniquemarine
M

Member496333

Type 2, yes, potentially. But if you had it once you can definitely get it again, so ‘curing’ it is going to mean finding a new lifestyle that you can live with forever.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone enlighten me if there are real cures or not for diabetes. If there are, I would really like to share the info with my parents who are dealing with diabetes.
A cure, not so much... But I agree with the others, if it's type 2 you're talking about, cutting carbs could very well help get them to remission. It's a forever-after deal though, because re-introduce carbs and the T2 gets back to being full-blown. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some, as can dietdoctor.com and this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk

Of course, if it's type one, then no, no cure in sight yet. It's been rumoured for decades now to be just around the corner, but nope.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Correct diet and exercise (if possible) can put T2 diabetes in remission. There are also good medications if needed, but diet is the first and best way to address the issue. Things like tumeric, cinnamon, ayurvedic medicine don't really help. If you see herbal 'cures' online, they are probably quite useless as actual cures. Of course, something like a refreshing tea that curbs appetite might be helpful as part of a diet, but there aren't any pills or cures to make the disease go away.
It's not all bad though- the diet for diabetes can help them feel healthier and better in all sorts of ways.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2 myself, I have learned to make a separate lot of anything I take to parties, and keep it in my bag. The dishes I do make vanish very swiftly and by the time I have sorted out my music and instrument often the containers have been washed and are waiting for me to collect....
The low carb diet suits me very well, and I really like the meals, and I can - if so moved, create a really good almond flour and chocolate cake with a layer of strawberries secured with cream in the middle, and it is still low carb

Reactions: Oldvatr

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of the older generation were raised on porridge, toast, potatoes, fruit & all of these can be high carb
Indeed, and also low in protein and calcium, both of which are needed in larger amounts as we age. Depending on your parents' psychological makeup, they might just respond with more enthusiasm to the positive idea of eating MORE foods containing protein and calcium rather than to the negative one of eating LESS foods containing carbs. And of course a lower carb diet does allow for more dietary fat, which might be a compensation.

Mike Sixx

There is no cure, and there will NOT be one in our lifetime. Not in next hundred years or more, the "cure" would be replacing most of your internal organs, digestive system and some cases also limbs with cybernetic parts. It is not just your pancreas would be needed to replace with Ghost in The Shell level tech but also your whole digestive system as it is not only about your pancreas not making enough insulin but in many cases whole body becoming resistant to insulin.

Diabetes can not be cured, it only can be managed to various degrade depending on many things, how early it was diagnosed and how much damage was done, with of some 30 types it is and how committed and smart you are with treating it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no cure, and there will NOT be one in our lifetime. Not in next hundred years or more, the "cure" would be replacing most of your internal organs, digestive system and some cases also limbs with cybernetic parts. It is not just your pancreas would be needed to replace with Ghost in The Shell level tech but also your whole digestive system as it is not only about your pancreas not making enough insulin but in many cases whole body becoming resistant to insulin.

Diabetes can not be cured, it only can be managed to various degrade depending on many things, how early it was diagnosed and how much damage was done, with of some 30 types it is and how committed and smart you are with treating it.
well, I have successfully controlled my type 2 diabetes by diet only for over 10 years, as have many on here. Thats good enough for me. I dont go hungry, I have a varied and rich diet, and no complicates. I call that a win.

Reactions: jackthejoker

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

....and on that happy note, I'm off to bed. :)

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Though whilst newly onset Type1 'may' be at some point fixed/halted like this, I'm pretty sure the beta cells in my pancreas have been dead for 40+ years so unless it can bring them back to life as well .......
...and also stop your immune system from killing off the cells again..