Aspirin !

gooner10

When I was first diagnosed back in 2008 I believe that Aspirin was prescribed as a routine med for type 2 diabetes to prevent any cardio vascular problems. Ironically in 2015 I developed angina and had two stents inserted ! (Touch wood) I have never suffered any chest pain or complication since then.
My question is do many of you take a daily Aspirin as part of your Diabetes management (heart condition or not) and how many of you have stopped taking it ? Reading the NICE guidelines I see that it is no longer routinely given to newly diagnosed Diabetes patients.

Tannith

BANNED
When I was first diagnosed back in 2008 I believe that Aspirin was prescribed as a routine med for type 2 diabetes to prevent any cardio vascular problems. Ironically in 2015 I developed angina and had two stents inserted ! (Touch wood) I have never suffered any chest pain or complication since then.
My question is do many of you take a daily Aspirin as part of your Diabetes management (heart condition or not) and how many of you have stopped taking it ? Reading the NICE guidelines I see that it is no longer routinely given to newly diagnosed Diabetes patients.
I have just started taking it again. Low dose 75 mg. Previously I stopped because of the risk of bleeding. Then I read that as well as heart health it also reduced the risk of colon and even some other cancers so I started it again literally a couple off weeks ago.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @gooner10 I was prescribed a low dose of aspirin when I was diagnosed with unstable angina, this was before being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I recently was referred to a haematologist at the hospital as I had persistent high platelets. Apparently her first action would have been to prescribe a low dose of aspirin but I was already taking it so we had to go to the next stage. It is amazing how many different complaints that a low dose of aspirin is useful for.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I stopped, I read a couple studies that show aspirin may reduce protein synthesis. Probably only applicable to people using fitness to control T2.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad they stopped it, personally I don't think anything should be prescribed as a 'routine med' just because we have a condition. I am a great advocate for just about any type of med that is actually required so I'm definitely not anti med.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my 40+ years of being diabetic, I've never been prescribed aspirin because I have diabetes - not sure whether I've been prescribed it for anything else mind (don't remember ever being prescribed it at all, but my memory is a bit dubious) :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed 2012, wasn't routine then
Looks like it could well have been in the past but changed

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/features/diabetes-and-aspirin.html

Reactions: gooner10

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was never prescribed it in relation to diabetes, but took it for a number of months after having a stent inserted.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started taking it again. Low dose 75 mg. Previously I stopped because of the risk of bleeding. Then I read that as well as heart health it also reduced the risk of colon and even some other cancers so I started it again literally a couple off weeks ago.
But is that as part of your diabetes treatment, prescribed by your doctor? as this is what @gooner10 is asking about

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Never been prescribed it for diabetes only as a profilactic since having a stent grafted for an AAA.

Tannith

BANNED
I was never prescribed it in relation to diabetes, but took it for a number of months after having a stent inserted.
Diabetics have higher risk of heart disease and colon cancer, and sometimes choose to take prophylactic aspirin for these risks, rather than specifically for their T2. I have never heard of aspirin as either a treatment or a prophylactic for the T2 itself.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I was diagnosed in 2010 and was not given aspirin at the time

I did feel really ill one day.. went to gp.. he stuck me on an ecg then said I'd had a heart attack and called an ambulance..

I did not actually have a heart attack.. but the hospital stuck me on aspirin... its still on my repeat... but not taken it in about 18months

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I started aspirin 75mg in 2005 as part of my diabetes treatment (along with ACE inhibitor for reno-protection.)
Aspirin 150mg in 2007 following four strokes.
Aspirin changed to dipyridamole in 2020 following large bleed from my stomach cancer.
Really, the antiplatelet is now for diabetes and strokes.
I am more worried about another stroke than another bleed.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
This is quite interesting, since both my mother (who had Angina from about her 80's) and my father, who died of Colon cancer in his 60's would not take aspirin. I have never been prescribed it, even though my former GP Practice would know this familt history and yet I was told that I had a higher risk of heart problems!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I was diagnosed in 2008 and was prescribed statins and low dose aspirin because T2s had the same risk of heart attack as non-diabetics who had already had one heart attack.

Some time later this fell out of fashion when people realised that the risks were similar but the causes were different so there was no point in treating T2s as if they had already had a heart attack.

I haven't taken aspirin for a long time and don't take statins because of side effects.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspirin is a complete no-no for me, unless I want a quick trip to A&E, it produces an anaphylactic type response (although I'm ok with every other NSAID I've taken)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I was prescribed 75mg Aspirin after my 3x CAB, so was already taking it at T2D diagnosis.

At first I was hesitant about aspirin since I took 6 standard aspirin per day (for really bad headaches) from age 16 until my stomach cried 'enough' in my late 30;'s and I had to switch to paracetamol. But it seems I now tolerate the low dose aspirin OK if I take it with food.

I did stop taking it before Covid, but started again because I know my blood can tend to be rather thick (well adapted to skiing at higher altitudes and no altitude sickness) - so I fear what Covid might do to it.

gooner10

I was diagnosed in 2008 and was prescribed statins and low dose aspirin because T2s had the same risk of heart attack as non-diabetics who had already had one heart attack.

Some time later this fell out of fashion when people realised that the risks were similar but the causes were different so there was no point in treating T2s as if they had already had a heart attack.

I haven't taken aspirin for a long time and don't take statins because of side effects.
Very Interesting. Do you not take anything for blood thinning ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was not prescribed aspirin on diagnosis 10 years ago. My GP stressed recently that self medicating on low dose aspirin is dangerous. This was during a general pain control discussion about my husband's medication. He isn't on aspirin.