What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: a couple of tablespoons ff greek.
Was supposed to have a snack lunch at garden centre with the oldies, but it was full of kids, some special Halloween event and half term apparently (I thought half term is next week!) So we abandoned that plan and went to a nearly pub. Trouble was they only do curries..
I had a beef rendang, and ate about 1/4 of the rice, and a white wine (becuase they couldn't do me a tea!!)
Bg only went to 6.3 so that must have been OK
D: (not really) a bit of cheese and 5 olives, 1 glass white wine

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post Tuesdays yesterday, got interrupted by a phone call.

Here's a Wednesdays menu.

Two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, couple of slices vegimite on toast for breakfast.
High protein keto choc mint bar, lemon / lime cordial with a scoop full of goodness in it for smoko.
Roast leg lamb and veggies, gravy, couple of small spoonfuls of passion fruit sorbet for lunch.
Couple of Jamey Olivers fish cakes, toast and vegimite for supper at six.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast!
IMG_8208.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So back to Tuesday.
Brekkie was usual slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea
lunch: Rollitos with spoon of cheesy coleslaw.
Supper: spicy mini meatballs with tenderstem broccoli.
Yesterday was same brekkie.
Lunch was thin slices of roast beef spoon of coleslaw. Tea.
Supper was chicken, chorizo, red pepper stir fry with cauli rice.
Today same brekkie.
Lunch will be scrambled eggs.
Supper: Fish Finger Firsday (chunky version)

Had flu jab yesterday so put a Libre on in advance but nothing discernible to say other than as usual my meter doesn’t agree with it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: fried egg on top of a thin slice of steak.

Feeling nauseous again, so no lunch. Asked the pharmacist if he has anything to settle nausea but he says I'll have to ask the doctor for that. I'll just eat crisps to settle it, I think. Don't want to take another tablet - or increase the Esomeprazole that I already take.

Cut up the remainder of the steak to make beef stir fry and a small amount of beef and veg curry but gave up, feeling too exhausted and ill. I'll pack it up and put it in the freezer. Don't expect to eat again today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meal 1 lunchtime-ish: 2 leftover slices meatloaf
Snack: pack of M&S Serrano ham crisps
Meal2: h/m bacon cheeseburger in lettuce wrap with Greek style salad. DGF pecan blondie

@Annb that doesn’t sound right at all, could you ask the GP if there are alternative meds you could try which may not cause nausea?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 tablespoons ff greek (hardly worth calling it breakfast)
Yoga
Lunch was tapas with girlfriends. There might have been meatballs, artichokes, pork, spinach in cheese sauce, fish gougon (only 1), lamb croquettes, olives. No alcohol! But plenty of chat and laughter.
Then home for dancing and a late supper of cauliflower and mince

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of bbq sausages, slice of bacon, cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast
Just the cordial mix for smoko.
Cottage pie with mashed pumpkin on top on my portion, veggies for lunch.
Two chicken drumsticks, a couple of pieces of cheese, hand full of cherry tomatoes for supper at six.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 dgf fruit crumbles with last of the cream! Mug of earl grey tea as I was in a rush to go to my hair cut appointment.

Dinner - I was out at local shopping centre who have new Five Guys @Goonergal so had their bunless bacon cheese burger with lettuce instead, tomato, onions, mushrooms & a little relish - ate with a knife and fork - it was lovely and sooo filling - I'll go back again!

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling better today - the worst of the cold has calmed down so I'm almost back to normal. Now Neil has come down with it.

Breakfast: a pot of something with no label from the freezer - it was pink but I couldn't identify it, so I left it in the fridge overnight to see what it would turn into. It was berries whipped with some cream. So that's what I had.

Lunch: a cheese toastie. About 29 carbs, so that's my limit passed for today.

I will probably have a further meal today so will have some beef curry made with the steak I cut up yesterday.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will read back once I’ve recorded today’s food - to catch up with everyone’s news.
missed a week due to busy caring stuff and travelling back and forth but I’m safe back and hoping to have a more relaxing weekend says she crossing fingers! I also managed to make some more home made lowcarb bread today which I find therapeutic and I had run out of freezer stocks.
Breakfast just coffee
Late lunch two slices of low carb bread with a salmon pate followed by raspberries with Greek yoghurt - 0% fage
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with green beans and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF crumble and more yoghurt- I must say I adore the new autumn crumble tastes very nutty and oaty pleased have got lots in my freezer.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A bit of experimentation today.

Don’t usually do fruit, but found mangosteen in a local greengrocer today. First - and only - taste was in Bangkok in 1990. Loved them and never managed to find them again on subsequent trips to SE Asia. Couldn’t resist.

6B4D6C97-2AF3-4124-9D70-9CB8831CE479.jpeg BC06116E-4F1C-4F88-B566-A93E2E9979A1.jpeg

Tasted insanely sweet, but deliberately eaten just before a small plate of lamb fat cadged from the butcher (air fried) and a couple of ‘bricks’ of mince, almost 3 hours later and blood sugars have remained lower than the starting point, Definite win!

‘Bricks’ were the second experiment. Got the idea from a carnivore page on FB. They were air fried and went nicely crispy on the outside, while staying juicy. A lazy burger! And the lamb fat - will be getting more of that.

B91656DA-035D-48F8-9877-9C04177D23A5.jpeg E5A0B690-A698-4092-AE50-CCB26DD583F8.jpeg

Earlier there was a roast pork rack. Crackling not pretty, but delicious.

991A6A11-2424-48A8-8C32-D0D0D08EC013.jpeg 3CC7DF6C-4EB4-4927-AC5C-8C6D64D3B942.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A bit of experimentation today.

Don’t usually do fruit, but found mangosteen in a local greengrocer today. First - and only - taste was in Bangkok in 1990. Loved them and never managed to find them again on subsequent trips to SE Asia. Couldn’t resist.

View attachment 51715 View attachment 51716

Tasted insanely sweet, but deliberately eaten just before a small plate of lamb fat cadged from the butcher (air fried) and a couple of ‘bricks’ of mince, almost 3 hours later and blood sugars have remained lower than the starting point, Definite win!

‘Bricks’ were the second experiment. Got the idea from a carnivore page on FB. They were air fried and went nicely crispy on the outside, while staying juicy. A lazy burger! And the lamb fat - will be getting more of that.

View attachment 51717 View attachment 51718

Earlier there was a roast pork rack. Crackling not pretty, but delicious.

View attachment 51719 View attachment 51720

That all looks fabulous! Never heard of mangosteen though. So you don’t even season the mince bricks, just bung them in as they are? Is each brick about 1lb?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That all looks fabulous! Never heard of mangosteen though. So you don’t even season the mince bricks, just bung them in as they are? Is each brick about 1lb?

I put salt on once cooked. These were about 125g each - I split packs of mince in two and freeze after buying and I split one of the halves before air frying, Came out looking very small! Sure it’d work with larger pieces as they’re the same thickness. The crispy edges were soooo good!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I’m very pleased as I managed to find those seedy crackers in M&S - I think they might have been there all along but they were in a different place to the other crackers so I’d missed them. I cleared the shelf!
B: lc bread toasted, with scrambled egg
L: Brie, olives, 1/4 avocado and a few broken walnuts.
D: keto crack chicken ( DD recipe) neede something quick to make- only 15 mins in IP. Large green salad. DGF Notella brownie.
@shelley262 I wish I’d read your post earlier - I’ve just put a DGF order in but didn’t include those crumbles. From your description I think I’d really like them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I forgot to post yesterday, but continuing to eat plenty of red meat, green veg, dark choc for the iron content, then upping my intake of nuts and seeds to counter the constipating effect of the iron tablets, while keeping under 40g carbs!
Today’s food.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a dark choc. Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding with nutty LC granola.
Dinner: lamb and mint koftas with coleslaw and beetroot leaf salad followed by DGF lemon cake, cream and LC nutty granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put salt on once cooked. These were about 125g each - I split packs of mince in two and freeze after buying and I split one of the halves before air frying, Came out looking very small! Sure it’d work with larger pieces as they’re the same thickness. The crispy edges were soooo good!

I bet they were! I shall try this soon. I buy mince from the butchers so it’s not in bricks - ends up in all sorts of shapes (depending on what it’s been squished next to in my bag) but a lump is as good as a brick I reckon.