What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have actually managed a couple of LC days. Not such a great achievement as have not been able to eat much for worrying. Among other things, about my cat. It has been a very stressful week.
Poor Cat has been unwell for several weeks and had three visits to the vet, culminating in an overnight stay with xrays and blood tests. Xrays revealed the source of the problem. He has been shot. There are several embeded pellets, but the most concerning is very close to his voicebox and this is obviously the cause of his strange hoarse whisper. He may yet need an operation, the pellet might move, but vet says this would be difficult to do and dangerous for cat.
Food today.
Tea and more tea,
Coffee
Lunch. 2 crispbreads with ham and salad
Tea
More tea
Wine.
Dinner beef stew, green beans, more wine
Few berries and half a pot of ff greek yoghurt
Coffee
Lemon Tea.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A large handful of marmite almonds sufficed for breakfast.
Lunch was at Hyde Hall RHS garden in Essex. Very impressed with quality but difficult to escape carbs. I went for the salad with poached pear, stilton, pecans and beetroot.
Dinner was 3 eggs scrambled with half a tomato and some cheese.
We are away and our hosts left us some mini cookies...well it would have been rude not to, wouldn't it? Did try smothering them with ff greek to offset.
The dog we are looking after is only 4 months old so an interesting week ahead as apparently he has hardly ever been any where except their house and garden

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @SlimLizzy posts crossed. So sorry for poor Errant. Heavens above, shot! He's obviously a toughie. Is he on pain killers and antibiotics now?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sorry @SlimLizzy posts crossed. So sorry for poor Errant. Heavens above, shot! He's obviously a toughie. Is he on pain killers and antibiotics now?
No painkillers, the pellet wounds are already healed over. Antibiotics for the ear infection that was making him miserable though. He already seems more cheerful, but not at all impressed with ear drops twice a day. Tricky to administer too. He has gained a new wariness and is no longer putty in my hands.
Last summer he had ear mites, and I used to sit him on my lap and just pop the drops in. Not at all like that this time.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy so sorry to hear about Errant, what a horrible shock to discover he’d been shot! Glad he is recovering from that and the ear infection, even if he’s not putty in your hands now.
Waiting for Strictly now so time to post today’s food quickly.
B- several black coffees
L- LC toast topped with smoked salmon and cream cheese. Choc chia pud.
D- Shepherds pie made with cauli mash. Paul said it was really good and he hates cauliflower! Garlicky greens with it and 2 glasses red.

Found a celeriac in the greengrocers at last so will be making remoulade and dauphinoise this week.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy hugs to you and poorly errant - it sounds very challenging.
Breakfast two boiled eggs with slice of lc bread
Lunch some raspberries and yoghurt followed by two square of 90% choc
Dinner chicken curry with a poppadom and gin with soda water and slices of lime followed by DGF lemon drizzle with decaff coffee.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Cold beef curry - surprisingly better than when hot!
Lunch: Cheese toastie, same as yesterday - not enough carbs to worry about.
I was going to have a third meal because I needed to cook the chicken that I had delivered on Tuesday before it went off. So I thought I would try it a la Jamie Oliver - tray of veggies on an oven shelf with a chicken on the bars above to drip gravy down onto the veggies. I was called away just at the time I should have been taking it out of the oven, but only for a short time, so it should have been OK but what I've ended up with is overdone chicken and incinerated veggies. I nibbled at a chicken wing and a slightly less burned piece of cauliflower but really don't want it - it's not exactly appetising. So it is a 2 meal day, after all.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD today. Lunch was a variant on yesterdays lunch - thinly sliced leftover pork stir fried (in beef fat) with leftover cabbage with some diced courgette and onion. Dinner was 2 lamb chops, air fried. Pictured separately as one chop was so much thicker than the other, I ate the thin one while the other was cooking.

7C1F64EA-DC55-4872-A9A1-3AABF1636E35.jpeg
35DA7FEE-4D1C-4FB0-9153-6BD9FFAEFDC9.jpeg
7C81B9AC-3DAC-4D6F-9F54-215A230C7092.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm catching up again. It was school holiday week so my opportunity to catch up on all the things I don't have time to do otherwise.

Sunday 17 October - bed 6 FBG 5.7. Swimming lessons still on today (next Sunday is the holiday).

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with whipped cheese. Didn't notice I was running out of SLC bread so I'm eeking out what is left until the order arrives.

L Once I got back from swimming - V8 juice.

D. Usual campari and soda. Rib eye with pepper sauce, one onion ring, mushrooms, spinac. DGF crumble thing warmed with raspberries and a spoonful of thick cream.

Monday - 18 October bed 5.4 FBG 5.6

First day of the school holidays and I woke at my usual time! Legs are bad but that's probably down to horrible weather.

B. TAG and 1 slice of SLC toast with pate.
L. V8 juice- needed it as I was cleaning bathrooms. The nook and cranny type clean. Found this clay cleaner online for hard surfaces (Nana's Secret). Love it. Needs a good rinse but boy does it clean nearly everything. Once rinsed and dried off leaves a brilliant shine.

D. Cold cuts leftovers - ox tongue, 6 bits of the mini German sausage, roast pork and roast beef. 3 M&S crackers with whipped cheese. Blackberries, blueberries and a DGF gingerbread with a dollop of cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have actually managed a couple of LC days. Not such a great achievement as have not been able to eat much for worrying. Among other things, about my cat. It has been a very stressful week.
Poor Cat has been unwell for several weeks and had three visits to the vet, culminating in an overnight stay with xrays and blood tests. Xrays revealed the source of the problem. He has been shot. There are several embeded pellets, but the most concerning is very close to his voicebox and this is obviously the cause of his strange hoarse whisper. He may yet need an operation, the pellet might move, but vet says this would be difficult to do and dangerous for cat.
Food today.
Tea and more tea,
Coffee
Lunch. 2 crispbreads with ham and salad
Tea
More tea
Wine.
Dinner beef stew, green beans, more wine
Few berries and half a pot of ff greek yoghurt
Coffee
Lemon Tea.
Poor Errant. Glad to read he's improving.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Carb Killa protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding and LC nutty granola.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by DGF chocolate brownie, cream and LC nutty granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 19 October bed 6.2 FBG 5.6. Hoped to stay in but son needed shopping. Weather is still vile.

B. TAG and 1 slice of SLC toast with pate.
L. Yet another V8.
D. I cut chicken breasts into strips and dressed them with my LC crumb mix. Had with cheese and chive dip and a little salad. Blackberries and blueberries and another DGF Crumble.

Wednesday 20 October - bed 4.8 FBG 5.7

B. TAG and last 2 slices of SLC toast with salmon pate. New supply due today!
L. V8
D. A mix of scallops and prawns in a cheesy/white wine & parsley sauce. 3 M&S crackers to dip in. A SLC not cross bun with butter.

Thursday 21 October - bed 4.6 FBG 5.

I had the boys this morning as DIL had some emergency clients so an early start. Boys accompanied me to Lidl on the way home and were very helpful! Gardeners were here too so a busy morning. Youngest had jujitsu later too so I was back out again late afternoon.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with salmon pate.

L. Another V8

D. Rose veal liver, soft onion, fried egg, slice bacon. 2 DGF crumbles warmed with a few blackberries and cream. (Remainder now in the freezer!).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 22 October - bed 4.9 FBG 5.3. Finally got my new specs again. May need a day to adapt as it's a big difference in prescription but I can see again to drive in the dark (pretty essential in Winter). I also got a letter from a centralised appointments place for hospitals (when did that happen??. I kid you not, in simple terms it says - we've put you on the waiting list, it's very long and we have no idea when you'll get an appointment to be assessed. Sorry. Maybe if they'd left it with the hospital making the appointment they'd have known I'm already a patient at the eye Pavilion and I have an regular appointment next week.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.
L. V8
D. Poached salmon, prawns with Marie Rose, 1/2 avocado, santini tomatoes, 3 mini mozzarella and 3 M&S crackers.

Nice to see @Goonergal, @PenguinMum, @SlimLizzy and @shelly262 all back again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in M&S today and the crackers are back. Plenty of the super seeded and from the others I like the wheaten and the black olive at 2.5g per cracker. Cheese ones were sold out though.
20211023_130812.jpg
20211023_130749.jpg
20211023_130744.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A bit of experimentation today.

Don’t usually do fruit, but found mangosteen in a local greengrocer today. First - and only - taste was in Bangkok in 1990. Loved them and never managed to find them again on subsequent trips to SE Asia. Couldn’t resist.

View attachment 51715 View attachment 51716

Tasted insanely sweet, but deliberately eaten just before a small plate of lamb fat cadged from the butcher (air fried) and a couple of ‘bricks’ of mince, almost 3 hours later and blood sugars have remained lower than the starting point, Definite win!

‘Bricks’ were the second experiment. Got the idea from a carnivore page on FB. They were air fried and went nicely crispy on the outside, while staying juicy. A lazy burger! And the lamb fat - will be getting more of that.

View attachment 51717 View attachment 51718

Earlier there was a roast pork rack. Crackling not pretty, but delicious.

View attachment 51719 View attachment 51720

Mangosteen? Be still my beating heart. The perfect sharing fruit,................... whether the other party wants to share or not!

Reactions: DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg and cheese omelette, two slices of middle bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of chobani 16% greek yoghurt, usual cordial mix for smoko.
Spicy pork ribs and salad for lunch.
Toasted low carb cheese and onion sandwiches for supper at six.

Started on the stronger Fentanyl 25 mcg / hour patches yesterday, definitely make a difference.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor Cat has been unwell for several weeks and had three visits to the vet, culminating in an overnight stay with xrays and blood tests. Xrays revealed the source of the problem. He has been shot.
Oh no, how horrible!
Glad he survived but not happy to hear about the issues of an operation and his behaviour having changed.
Hope he'll return to fully trusting you again soon.

I somehow lost you guys for 5 days again. You haven't missed much on my meals, as I cooked for 4 days so I've been having my go to meal of lots of spicy veggies, marinated pork belly pieces, peanut sauce and a fried egg for the past 4 days (minus the egg today as there weren't any left).
But I've missed lots of yummy food from your side, which is a shame as catching up means skimming posts rather than reading them well.