What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I really really really don't like eating breakfast earlier than say 2PM.
But I also wanted to try my first metformin tablet somewhat early in the day, in case either the side effects turn out to be very nasty, or their main effect is more than anticipated and it will drop my BG's the rest of the day.

So I forced myself to eat a piece of soft cheese and a slice of liverwurst, hopefully this will provide enough of a cushion for the tablet.

Anyone remember how long it took before noticing anything after taking metformin?
I feel like I'm 17 again, waiting to see if space cake really does something. (Yes it does, and once was very much enough, never had it again!)

247436556_10224621647922977_2393292253653807659_n.jpg

I never have noticed any beneficial effect of Metformin. Even after all the years of taking it, I have never known exactly what noticeable effect it is intended to have - other than diahorrea. If you do notice anything, would you put a note on here? Then I might be able to attribute something to it. Since I sometimes only have one meal, I don't always take the 2 Metformin I am meant to have. Maybe that has an effect on my, often, very high BG. Not sure.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even after all the years of taking it, I have never known exactly what noticeable effect it is intended to have - other than diahorrea. If you do notice anything, would you put a note on here?
Will do, or perhaps in the parallel thread if there is lots to tell!

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never heard of a specific date associated with blackberries. What is that about?
It’s legend, or folklore that on Michaelmas day the devil was thrown out of heaven, landed on a blackberry bush and cursed them not to be eaten after that date of any year. My Black Country relatives used to call it “ they’ve gone back to the devil.” I’ve read that the truth behind it is the wet weather at that time of year can make them bad to eat. Personally, I’d risk it any day of the year, live on the edge.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s legend, or folklore that on Michaelmas day the devil was thrown out of heaven, landed on a blackberry bush and cursed them not to be eaten after that date of any year. My Black Country relatives used to call it “ they’ve gone back to the devil.” I’ve read that the truth behind it is the wet weather at that time of year can make them bad to eat. Personally, I’d risk it any day of the year, live on the edge.

Me too. Blackberries are usually pretty good here, in this northern climate, in September or October. Before that, they're usually just little, hard, green berries which, of course are not good to eat. The season isn't very long because by November everything has blown off the bushes. At one stage I thought of planting blackberries (brambles) because they do produce such lovely fruit and they do well here, but decided against risking them taking over the garden. I have got a commercial plant, but it isn't doing so well yet. Maybe by next season it will have taken a bit better.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Similar legend here in Cornwall - on Michaelmas day the devil was thrown out and peed on the blackberries so children are warned not to eat them after that date.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
V late brunch of bacon and egg in lc roll.
Mid afternoon pack of Cheesies while sitting on a bench with Dennis looking at the beautiful North Cornish coastline.
Dinner Spag Bol with Aldi black bean spaghetti, followed by DGF ginger cake and several mugs of tea to watch Strictly with.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch seeded m and s lc crackers with some cheese, a few baby tomatoes and a small pepper followed by yoghurt
Mid pm three squares of 90% chocolate and a few walnuts and Brazils
Dinner chicken curry with two poppadoms and glass of gin with soda water followed by DGF pecan butterscotch blondie

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brave man eating them after October 11th…at least according to legend. Maybe being in the Southern Hemisphere changes the date
I do not believe in a lot of the old tales of yore, as most are meaningless here in Australia.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and DGF choc chip cookie.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and phd bar
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by DGF lemon and white chocolate cookie.
Those DGF cookies are seriously moreish!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone remember how long it took before noticing anything after taking metformin?
So far no ill effects 10 hours after taking my first metformin tablet :)
BG's have been very stable wit a low need of insulin, but that was the pattern in the last couple of days anyway.
I do not believe in a lot of the old tales of yore, as most are meaningless here in Australia.
Doesn't Australia have its own rich source of tales?
Similar legend here in Cornwall - on Michaelmas day the devil was thrown out and peed on the blackberries so children are warned not to eat them after that date.
Trying to work out how English people would feel about talking about peeing on food on a food thread and how this relates to our forum rules.
Concluded I have no idea so I just had a good laugh over it! :D

Same food as yesterday, green beans with a creamy dish with vegetarian shawarma and mushrooms, microwaved today.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don’t pick and eat blackberries low to the ground in case a dog has peed on them! :yuck:

Edited to change the emoticon to something more appropriate!

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 in answer to your queries around Metformin, I think I’d better answer on the “parallel” thread so as not to go off topic here! ;)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't Australia have its own rich source of tales?
The indigenouus Australians have stories of the "dreamtime" which make a lot of sense as they have lived continuously in Australia for more than 40 thousand years, so their "tales" have more credence that white folks tales who have been for than 300 years and made a complete stuff in what ever they touched in the early days.

What the... is michelmas day?

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever @Antjee77 you have lost me, while I am eating breakfast of my usual.

This is only devil I know and I doubt if if it could pee that high.

wzAVF0w.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes, button mushrooms for breakfast.
Rest of the not peed upon blackberries with a tub of yoghurt, lemon cordial and osmolax mix for smoko.
Chicken legs and salad, sugar free pineapple jelly for lunch.
Toasted egg and cracked black pepper low carb sandwiches for supper at six.

What a funny thread to day. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to work out how English people would feel about talking about peeing on food on a food thread and how this relates to our forum rules.
Concluded I have no idea so I just had a good laugh over it! :D

Whoops sorry, pushing the boundaries a bit I guess - but I never eat the late blackberries, just in case!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The indigenouus Australians have stories of the "dreamtime" which make a lot of sense as they have lived continuously in Australia for more than 40 thousand years, so their "tales" have more credence that white folks tales who have been for than 300 years and made a complete stuff in what ever they touched in the early days.

What the... is michelmas day?

An old Christian festival - timed to match harvest feasting really.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed posting yesterday as was out late, yes on a Saturday night!
Mostly ate chicken and some nuts and had 6 hours of exercise. Bg hardly shifted, weight didn't move either!

Today, a hunk of cheese before a 90 minutes walk and the Remembrance service outside church.
Lc hot choc to warm up when home
L: salad and chicken followed by 2 pieces hm lc blueberry cake with cream.

Tried a new lc choc cake recipe this afternoon using coconut flour rather than ground almonds. Quite successful but might tweak it a bit. 10 pieces safely in freezer.

D: will be roast pork, vegs and a glass white wine