What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three bbq sausages, two eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial and osmolax brew for smoko.
Sand crabs and a mixed salad for lunch.
Sliced up cold sausages and leftover salad in low carb wraps for supper at six.

We got the sandies from the Red Shed on the way home from Grunkskes yesterday as they were to expensive there.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your meal, Jaz, looks like you're a very lucky dog to have a friend like Riva!
Haha! Jaz is lucky, it's human is a friend of mine other wise it would have dipped out.

I could have given them to one of my neighbours who have a incessant yappy dog, but I did not have any 1080 to marinate them in. :meh:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs on a slice of wholemeal toast.

2nd meal: a few duck spring rolls. One of the packets of ready made food that I ordered from Tescos last week. Shan't get them again because they have rather too much star anise in them for me and they certainly put my BG up - topped out at 19.9! Then I took a correction dose and it is now dropping reasonably quickly. Currently down to 11.4. Don't know how far it will drop, so I'll just have to wait and see. But, no more spring rolls! It is becoming apparent that ready meals are not for me, so I'll have to rethink that idea.

For someone who spent quite a large portion of her life as a caterer, I'm surprised that I've really gone off the idea of cooking anything. I guess the best time to do any cooking is in the morning - once my stiffness has eased off a bit and I've dragged myself awake after taking pain killers. Then I have a reasonable amount of motivation, but it doesn't last. By the time the afternoon comes around, I'm ready to go back to bed and unwilling to make any effort at all.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoga, then an lc got chocolate to sate my appetite before popping in to a charity coffee morning. There the coffee comes with cake so best avoided.
L: some ready meal soup Hubby had bought, but I watered down my portion to reduce the carbs. Filled up with a quarter of a camembert.
An afternoon working in the garden
D: chicken fajitas, mine in a bowl, the boys were in wraps. Tried the first 4 cheeses from the advent calendar (divided between the 3 of us), a cheddar, a Leicester and 2 smoked. Nice to have 4 at once to compare and contrast. Might save up the next few days as well. They are only small, about Baby bel size.
3, yes 3 glasses white. Just fancied more for a change.

Oh nearly forgot, mid afternoon the boys opened a pack of the mini stollen as their reward for starting to put the decorations up, and I ate 2 before making myself go back out in the garden.
Starting a libre tomorrow to help me record just how many Christmas bits can slip in too easily

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m intrigued now - what is it?

It's one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Ric...ocphy=1006529&hvtargid=pla-422517702153&psc=1

It's a sort of gateway gadget to the Thermomix, and I thought it could be good for training me in smaller batches, but to be honest, it's modest size cuts down options, and I do like options.

It works very well though and performs as it should, but as a gateway to a £1150 gadget it's not done such a great job in this house. Maybe that's one we just don't need. (No, no. I understand we likely haven't needed too many of the toys we have, but.......)

Reactions: DJC3

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; half portion English breakfast.
Lunch; mocha and a carb killer bar
Dinner; chicken jalfrezi, salad and a couple of lc wraps, raspberries and baileys cream.

I'll see if I'm hungry later.....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Ric...ocphy=1006529&hvtargid=pla-422517702153&psc=1

It's a sort of gateway gadget to the Thermomix, and I thought it could be good for training me in smaller batches, but to be honest, it's modest size cuts down options, and I do like options.

It works very well though and performs as it should, but as a gateway to a £1150 gadget it's not done such a great job in this house. Maybe that's one we just don't need. (No, no. I understand we likely haven't needed too many of the toys we have, but.......)

Interesting! I hadn’t even heard of these but I’m glad of your review. I will studiously ignore them from now on.
I mean I’ll ignore the gadgets, not your reviews!

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch- bacon roll ( 3 rashers in buttered SLC roll)
Dinner- v slow roast, bone-in unrolled brisket ( put in oven at 11:30 last night) cauli cheese, mashed swede, green beans with garlic&flaked almonds, sprouts with bacon. Several glasses of wine.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch one each of slice bacon and egg with a few mushrooms and slice of hm lc bread followed by yoghurt, a few nuts and two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner slow cooked beef brisket (@DJC3 snap but shorter cook as small piece) served with roast celeriac and braised celery and glass of red wine followed by the new DGF Christmas crumble - yum - heated and with additional dash of brandy served with double cream.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette. tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial mix for smoko.
Lamb shoulder chops, veggies and gravy, low sugar pineapple jelly for lunch.
Two low carb toasted egg sandwiches, last tub of jelly for supper at six.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L: 3 m&s seed crackers with a quarter of a camembert. 2 scrambled eggs. Lc got chocolate to drink
D: chicken casserole, served with buttered leeks and crispy air fried kale. 1 glass white wine

Needing a good kale recipe for tomorrow please

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was my day. Lamb shoulder and a big pot of bone broth. There may also have been some 85% chocolate and salted macadamia nuts (combined).

CC2793A6-BC76-4898-A263-D5948A49CBB9.jpeg
84508F5E-A7B9-498B-BE4E-CAF2E1AC48C8.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
L: 3 m&s seed crackers with a quarter of a camembert. 2 scrambled eggs. Lc got chocolate to drink
D: chicken casserole, served with buttered leeks and crispy air fried kale. 1 glass white wine

Needing a good kale recipe for tomorrow please

The BBC food website has a few:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chinese-style-kale
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/salmon-burgers-kale-salsa
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-kale-crisps
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kale-pesto

and I quite like this one:
https://www.acouplecooks.com/12-best-kale-recipes/

Breakfast: toasted cheese
2nd meal: not a meal, just grazed on chicken nuggets - too much carb, of course, but it wasn't too disastrous on my BG. Virtually tasteless. No more of those either, but it was easier than cooking!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is another kale recipe, if you like soup. It is similar to Antje's kale soup, but with a few more veggies and I don't usually add meat:

KALE SOUP

kale – enough to fill the pot before shredding
one onion
one leek
one carrot, cut into small cubes
plus any other vegetables available (eg, turnip, parsnip, celeriac), also cubed
garlic, crushed
butter plus a tablespoon of oil to prevent burning
one chilli pepper, if you like it spicy
other spices, eg paprika, onion powder, north african mix
stock or stock cube
water to provide enough broth for your soup (can be added to later)
handful of frozen peas
extra knob of butter

Sweat onion, garlic, carrot, leek, and any other vegetables in butter and oil
Add chilli and spices
Add stock and water
Shred the kale and add to the pot
Bring to boil and simmer for about ½ hour
Add frozen peas at the last minute – they take no time at all to cook
finish with a knob of butter

* can add some chopped up cooked meat/sausage

Might actually get around to making some tomorrow - all being well.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and MrsA2

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch- tinned tuna, 2 h/b eggs, h/m mayo and green salad.
A bit later - pack of chilli Cheesies from advent calendar.
D- smoked haddock in cheese and mushroom sauce with green beans snd sprouts. DGF blondie and a Montezuma’s Absolute Black advent choc.

Reactions: Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with 8 blueberries, 3 walnuts and tablespoon milled linseed.
Exercise class, then cup of coffee with friends
L: Hubby had bought a tub of veg soup. Stated carbs were 19g for a portion. Too high for me so I took just half a portion and watered it down, so say max 10g. Camembert.
So why, oh why, did bg zoom up to 10 (from 6) within 25 minutes? It had gone back to 6.2 in another 25 minutes, so whole spike was contained in an hour. Remind me, is this a problem?
The main ingredients was water, next was tomatoes, everything else was miniscule under 1% including rice, lentils, buckwheat

Mid afternoon a piece lc choc cake and a few walnuts. Bg hardly blinked.

D: 2 90% sausages, fried with kale and served with boiled carrot. Dessert of lc coffee cake with 50ml proper icecream and a good tablespoon of brandy cream which I hadn't realised contained sugar when I ordered it. Bg rose to 7. 5 and is still there . A smooth hump not a spike for more carbs than lunch, and some from real sugar.
This diabetes is confusing

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial and osmolax mix for smoko.
Nandos mild peri peri marinated chicken legs, green veggies for lunch.
Jamie Oliver fish cakes, low sugar lemon jelly for supper at six.

The sun comes up and the sun goes down
The hands on the clock keep a-goin' 'round
I just get up and it's time to lay down
Life gets tee-jus, don't it, hmm

Grief and misery, pains and woes
Debts and taxes, yea, so it goes
I think I'm gettin' a cold in my nose
Life get tee-just don't it?...

Thank you Walter Brennan.