Fasting Blood Sugar this morning + yesterday's food AND physical activity

AGC_68

Hi,
What you eat and what you do one day has a big impact on your FBG the next.
So, I thought I'd start this thread to see if there are others out there that enjoy incorporating physical activity as well as diet in the approach to dealing with T2. So that we can post what we are eating, our physical activities and their impact on BG.

Perhaps we can keep each other motivated, swap food (recipes, healthy restaurant choices) and exercise/activity ideas, ask each other questions about what we found helped the most in controlling BG levels?

I'll start the ball rolling :) ..

Let me know what you did, and any hints and tips for eating/doing the right things, keeping motivated etc.
Or if you have questions about what you could do if you are not currently very active, ask and see what people have to say.

FBG: 5.3 this morning (no meds)

Yesterdays food:
B: A few raspberries, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, cup of Greek yoghurt, couple of walnuts crushed & sprinkled on top
L: Vietnamese chicken salad at a restaurant (LOTS of fresh non-starchy veg, shredded skinless chicken, light dressing), diet coke
D: Singapore style fried cauliflower rice, with broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, red onions, coriander, 2 chicken thighs diced, stir fried everything with a couple of cloves of garlic, chopped chillies, and some curry powder .. nice and quick. Huge volume of food and very filling but not very high in calories due to non starchy veg.

I find cauliflower rice a real blessing. Really good way of filling up with non starchy and healthy veg in my meals, keeping the carb count low, nutrients and roughage high.

Yesterdays physical activity:
  • Walking
~ 10,000 steps spread through the day(just doing housework and walking around town with my daughter Christmas shopping)​

• Workout in the evening
Warmup:
Shadow kick boxing for 10 mins

Body weight resistance training:
50 chin ups
100 regular press ups
100 pike press ups
100 Hindu squats
100 crunches
Cool down:
Stretching for 10 minutes​

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 9.2 (20mg gliclazide)
Yesterdays food
B/ cheese, tomato, red onion & chorizo omelette
L: roast beef, carrots, tenderstem broccoli, cauliflower cheese
Homemade blackberry crumble (ground almonds, dessicated coconut & crushed pecans) & cream
D/ homemade no grain bread with butter, peanut butter, 2 cheese strings & handful Brazil nuts
Exercise/ 5 mile run

Reactions: jar16

AGC_68

FBG 9.2 (20mg gliclazide)
Yesterdays food
B/ cheese, tomato, red onion & chorizo omelette
L: roast beef, carrots, tenderstem broccoli, cauliflower cheese
Homemade blackberry crumble (ground almonds, dessicated coconut & crushed pecans) & cream
D/ homemade no grain bread with butter, peanut butter, 2 cheese strings & handful Brazil nuts
Exercise/ 5 mile run

5 mile run! Brilliant!!

The omelette and blackberry crumble sound great.
Your no grain bread .. what's the recipe? I've tried making a few but never really liked the results, would be useful for a smash and grab raid, but not to eat :(

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 mile run! Brilliant!!

The omelette and blackberry crumble sound great.
Your no grain bread .. what's the recipe? I've tried making a few but never really liked the results, would be useful for a smash and grab raid, but not to eat :(

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1 cup flaxseed, 1/2 cup ground almonds, tsp baking powder, 4 eggs, 2 tablespoon water
Mix dry ingredients together, in another bowl mix eggs & water, combine & bake in a loaf tin @ 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes
All those push-ups are very impressive

Reactions: saky and AGC_68

AGC_68

1 cup flaxseed, 1/2 cup ground almonds, tsp baking powder, 4 eggs, 2 tablespoon water
Mix dry ingredients together, in another bowl mix eggs & water, combine & bake in a loaf tin @ 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes
All those push-ups are very impressive

Thank you very much for that recipe, I will try that this weekend, the only thing I'm missing is the flax seeds. Trip to the health food store this weekend I think. I have been craving roast chicken and avocado sandwiches! Hard to beat the convenience of a sandwich when you're working from home and you have a lot of online meetings.

Thanks re the push-ups .. always been very active. I was most surprised by the symptoms of T2 coming along, didn't think it could happen if I was so active. But the glucometer doesn't lie and neither did the A1C test when I eventually managed to get one done. Decided to go on the Newcastle protocol, ended up losing 2 stone that I didn't think I had to lose. I no longer have the body that chocolate built, intending to keep it that way. Wish I'd checked my BG much earlier. I'm finding eating to keep the BG in a good place gives the welcome side effect of keeping fit and in good shape more easily too.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gestational diabetes 24 years ago, diet controlled until May with a1c of 128, down to 47 in October, without losing a pound, didn’t have any to lose anyway
FBG this morning 7.4
Food yesterday
Mug of tea, 15g porridge with almond milk b/f gym
Black coffee & coconut oil at gym
B/ salmon steak & 3 scrambled eggs
L/ roast turkey salad, blueberries & homemade low carb walnut & banana bread & butter
D: homemade chilli & whole avocado, s/f jelly, sunflower seeds, pecans & double cream
Exercise
Pt at gym 1ht
Barbell deadlifts, weighted Bulgarian squats, strict shoulder press, bench press, lat pull downs, seated row, stretch
Pm 30 minutes Peleton endurance ride, stretch
Evening 15 minutes plank & hoola hoop workout

Reactions: saky

AGC_68

FBG this morning: 4.8

Yesterday's food:
B: Blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds, Greek Yoghurt, crushed walnuts and 1 scoop plant based, sugar free protein powder
L: 3 eggs fried with crushed garlic clove, chilli flakes, turmeric and cumin seeds, 1 avocado. 4 squares of sugar free 100% cocoa dark chocolate
D: Roast Chicken Salad (1 chicken breast, lots of broccoli, spinach, red cabbage, red onions with a chilli, garlic and parsley yoghurt dressing). A slice of home made keto chocolate ganache tart
Snacks: some peanuts, almonds and walnuts scattered through the day

Physical activity:
8,000 steps during the day

Workout:
Straight after work
10 x 3 min rounds on the heavy bag (1 min punches and elbows, 1 min kicks and knees, 1 min ground and pound)
10 mins stretching

Was going to do some resistance training in the evening but the body was telling me to skip it so I gave it a miss.

AGC_68

Gestational diabetes 24 years ago, diet controlled until May with a1c of 128, down to 47 in October, without losing a pound, didn’t have any to lose anyway
FBG this morning 7.4
Food yesterday
Mug of tea, 15g porridge with almond milk b/f gym
Black coffee & coconut oil at gym
B/ salmon steak & 3 scrambled eggs
L/ roast turkey salad, blueberries & homemade low carb walnut & banana bread & butter
D: homemade chilli & whole avocado, s/f jelly, sunflower seeds, pecans & double cream
Exercise
Pt at gym 1ht
Barbell deadlifts, weighted Bulgarian squats, strict shoulder press, bench press, lat pull downs, seated row, stretch
Pm 30 minutes Peleton endurance ride, stretch
Evening 15 minutes plank & hoola hoop workout

That is a cracking day Debbie!!
Loving the whole body weights routine. I think I'll break out the kettlebells today
Great news on your A1C score!

Peleton! ... meeeeeee waaaaaaants a PELETON!!! :playful:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Peleton is absolutely brilliant so much choice on it, bread slices very small, but filling, think it would have to be an open sandwich
FBG 5.2
Yesterdays food
B/ black coffee, 2 slices homemade bread toasted with butter, marmite, whole avocado & 2 poached eggs
L/ roast beef, salad, cheese, Brazil nuts & blueberries
D/ roast turkey & bacon, cauliflower cheese, baby carrots & green beans
S/f jelly, sunflower seeds, almonds & double cream
Exercise/ 2 mile walk
45 minutes Peleton power zones endurance ride, 15 minutes stretch
25 minutes plank & hoola hoop

Reactions: saky and fitzroyp

AGC_68

FBG this morning: 5.6

Yesterday's food:
B: Blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds, Greek Yoghurt, 1 tbsp nothing added peanut butter, and 1 scoop plant based, sugar free protein powder

L: Roast Chicken Salad (1 chicken breast, lots of broccoli, spinach, red cabbage, red onions with a chilli, garlic and parsley yoghurt dressing). A slice of home made keto chocolate ganache tart with some fresh cream.

D: Thai green curry (chicken, mushrooms, aubergine and sweetcorn) with cauliflower rice. For pudding: Greek yoghurt mixed with a scoop of sugar free plant based chocolate cookie protein powder, some berries and a tbsp of peanut butter (crunchy of course, what is the point of smooth peanut butter?!)

Physical activity:

Walking: ~ 5000 steps

Evening workout:
Shadow boxing 10 mins

10 front lever pull ups
30 chin ups
100 regular press ups
50 pike press ups
50 close grip press ups
100 squats with a 20 kg kettlebell
30 leg raises hanging from the chin up bar touching toes to the bar

Stretching 10 mins

I do love the look of the Peleton, not sure I can justify its cost unless I use it a lot though. My home office doubles as my gym, since the first lockdown, and it is full enough with punch bag, an array of kettlebells and some dumbbells. But I remember that nothing ever got my cardio as good as when I used to do regular spin classes while being shouted at by a fervid woman from NZ who did the most awesome spin and body pump classes at the gym. I am sorely tempted by the Peleton. I must resist!! I shall do a routine heavy on burpees tonight for more cardio. My resting heart rate is 54, which isn't too bad at this age for someone who seems to have the full compliment of Neanderthal genes. I am wondering what adding some cycling to the mix could do though. I will try and wait until spring and get my mountain bike out.

Late to bed and a bad night's sleep, last night. Noticed it did raise my FBG a fair bit compared to yesterday's. Will try and get to bed earlier tonight and see what happens.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been back at the gym since April Monday have a pt, Wednesday do the same workout along side my trainer, he’s trying to get me back into CrossFit.before lockdown used to be able to do 60 chest to floor burpees without thinking about it.
Peleton is at work & shared with my son, best thing about it is the trainer is doing it at the same time, I do power zones so I always know at what intensity I should be going,
Your rhr is good too, mines usually between 54-59 depending on what exercise I’m currently doing
All your meals sound well balanced

Reactions: AGC_68

AGC_68

Nice set up with the bike, and a good mix of other types of training and exercises too. Keeps the body moving naturally in different planes and ranges of motion. You're in very good shape. 60 chest to floor burpees unbroken is awesome. I usually do them in circuits or ladders mixed in with other bodyweight an kettlebell exercises once a week. I think that's what I'll do tonight.

About 80% of Crossfit I really like the look of, plus it would force me to do some stuff that I find boring but would be good for (like running). But some of it I'd personally rather avoid. My hips and shoulders are not made for Olympic style lifts, but even if they were I'm not sure I'd like to do them in the way that they do in some of their WODs. But that's just me. I'm getting very injury prevention conservative with my training in my 50s. I do like their bodyweight WODs though (minus the kipping pull ups).

Thanks for the motivation Debbie Scott!

I'm liking your recipes too. The salmon and eggs sounds delish.

Laters!

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG this morning 9
Stuck in 5’s all day yesterday after the gym
Yesterdays food
Mug of tea before gym
At gym/ water, black coffee & coconut oil, vanilla protein shake with almond milk (powder 2g carbs)
B/ salmon steak & scrambled eggs
L/ homemade butternut squash, coconut & chilli soup, egg, salad cream & cress on homemade bread, blueberries, Brazil nuts, 2 cheese strings
D/ homemade chilli with avocado & mozzarella, tangerine, walnuts
S/ cold roast turkey & almonds
Exercise
Same routine as Monday at gym (made harder as I had to put all the plates on & off the barbell) up to deadlifting 1.35 x body weight
10 minutes low impact ride on peleton & stretch
20 minutes plank & hoola hoop workout

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed out 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter with tangerine for dinner

AGC_68

FBG this morning: 5.5

Yesterday's food:
B: Blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds, Greek Yoghurt, 1 tbsp nothing added peanut butter, and 1 scoop plant based, sugar free protein powder (my usual .. LOL)

L: Tuna, sweetcorn and mixed greens curry (made with achari spices) with cauliflower rice . A slice of home made keto chocolate ganache tart.

D: More of yesterday's Thai green chicken curry with cauliflower rice. A small keto ice cream bar.

Physical activity:

Walking: ~ 8000 steps

Evening workout:

Warmup
Shadow boxing and dynamic stretching 10 mins

5 x 5 minute rounds of the circuit below as many reps as possible of each exercise using 20 kg bell for the KB exercises:

1 minute burpees
1 minute kettlebell snatch (alternating L + R)
1 minute kettlebell clean and press (alternating L + R)
1 minute kettlebell clean (alternating L + R)
1 minute leg lunges (alternating L + R)

Cool down
Stretching 10 mins

Going to get my booster vaccination this afternoon. Will be interesting to see if that affects my BG in any way.

AGC_68

FBG this morning 9
Stuck in 5’s all day yesterday after the gym
Yesterdays food
Mug of tea before gym
At gym/ water, black coffee & coconut oil, vanilla protein shake with almond milk (powder 2g carbs)
B/ salmon steak & scrambled eggs
L/ homemade butternut squash, coconut & chilli soup, egg, salad cream & cress on homemade bread, blueberries, Brazil nuts, 2 cheese strings
D/ homemade chilli with avocado & mozzarella, tangerine, walnuts
S/ cold roast turkey & almonds
Exercise
Same routine as Monday at gym (made harder as I had to put all the plates on & off the barbell) up to deadlifting 1.35 x body weight
10 minutes low impact ride on peleton & stretch
20 minutes plank & hoola hoop workout

1.35 BW deadlift .. cool!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG this morning: 5.5

Yesterday's food:
B: Blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds, Greek Yoghurt, 1 tbsp nothing added peanut butter, and 1 scoop plant based, sugar free protein powder (my usual .. LOL)

L: Tuna, sweetcorn and mixed greens curry (made with achari spices) with cauliflower rice . A slice of home made keto chocolate ganache tart.

D: More of yesterday's Thai green chicken curry with cauliflower rice. A small keto ice cream bar.

Physical activity:

Walking: ~ 8000 steps

Evening workout:

Warmup
Shadow boxing and dynamic stretching 10 mins

5 x 5 minute rounds of the circuit below as many reps as possible of each exercise using 20 kg bell for the KB exercises:

1 minute burpees
1 minute kettlebell snatch (alternating L + R)
1 minute kettlebell clean and press (alternating L + R)
1 minute kettlebell clean (alternating L + R)
1 minute leg lunges (alternating L + R)

Cool down
Stretching 10 mins

Going to get my booster vaccination this afternoon. Will be interesting to see if that affects my BG in any way.
That circuit sounds brutal hope you’re feeling ok after your booster

Reactions: Tony 1711