What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: low sugar granola, two slices of hi lo
Snack; one montezuma advent calendar chocolate, mocha
Lunch: 2 slices of bacon on half a bannisters cheesy skin (9g carbs). Carb killa bar
Dinner: Greek salad with chorizo crumb sprinkled on top. A tiny white roll cooked from frozen, but still a horrifying 20g carbs. eeek! Raspberries, cream and a DGF mince pie.

fasting........

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay now proud owner of two front teeth I’m delighted they look so natural well worth the cost and even better didn’t need anything painful doing today it was just fitting and transformation.
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with half a lc hm roll followed by yoghurt and a few nuts and two squares of 90% chocolate
Mid pm - own up - who was it who alerted me to the fact that frozen DGF cookies could be eaten directly from the usually safe freezer? They were right had a straight from freezer lc lemon cookie and loved it ! I like crunchy cookies - especially as now can bite!- and it was lovely.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with green beans and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF lc chocolate gingerbread. Well I was celebrating my new teeth!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a PE bar
Dinner: Scrambled egg and Marmite on a LC toasted roll followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an experimental meal of runner beans and hard boiled eggs mashed with butter yesterday. Was OK, but what I really wanted was tomato soup, which I told myself was ridiculous because I'd already had tomato soup for 6 or 7 days in a row.

Anyone ever heard of a cold lasting for almost two weeks with one of the main symptoms being a sudden and very strong love of tomato soup? :wacky::hilarious:

So today I gave in again, and made another pot of tomato soup :D.
I must say, I'm getting closer and closer to making the perfect little meatballs for in the soup!
The soup made me happy again, and I'm left wondering when this sudden love of tomato soup will just as suddenly change to never wanting tomato soup again, this really is ridiculous!

Still, nothing wrong with it from a nutrients point of view, so who cares if I eat tomato soup all the time!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a hectic morning and got home in time for 11:00 brunch, which sort of extended into lunch as I tried to clear some space and use up old stuff in the fridge.
2 small chicken drumsticks. 2 hard boiled eggs and a couple of spoonfuls of lamb curry gravy ( leftover from yesterday, it wouldn’t all fit in the freezer container) finally sat down with a coffee and DGF cake.
Dinner was reverse seared ribeye with a stir fry of broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms and red pepper. Another DGF cake and Montezuma’s advent choc.
@shelley262 I was hoping to see a new avatar with your bright new smile, glad it all went so well today.
@Antje77 I’d definitely stick with your delicious sounding happy soup.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Roast of the day at the Brothers club, pork and veggies gravy for lunch.
Bacon and egg sandwich for supper at six.

Got to ait longer for the Woollies online delivery as they have now gone green, the delivery windows have gone fro 3 hours to 5 hours.

Not %$#@%^& happy Jan!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did manage to fast from yesterday lunchtime. Bg remained stubbornly high overnight and all morning.
B: 2 scrambled eggs with leftover lamb mince.
Coffee with girlfriends. Bg steadily rose.
Skipped lunch.
Ate 3 oven chips from boys dinner at 6, immediate spike.
7pm out for Xmas meal, white wine, salmon starter, salmon main, cheeseboard. Bg finally dropped.
Could one heavy carb Chinese dish actually cause bg disruption for 30 odd hours?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BG stayed high all day yesterday and I took a second correction dose in the evening. It finally started to drop and was 13.2 by the time I went to bed. I hadn't bothered with the fish for my 2nd meal, just had the left-over cauliflower.

Up at 2 am with BG of 4.9. Slept in the chair and checked again at 4 am and it was up to 5.9. Breakfast at 7 am with BG at 6.4. Breakfast was a mashed up very ripe avocado.(I'd put it in beside some bananas because it just wasn't ripening. 4 days beside the bananas did the trick.)

I'll have to use that fish today for my 2nd meal. Might make batter with coconut flour to coat it and make big fish fingers. That should do it, alongside some salady stuffs.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 meals, same ingredients ( beef mince and cheese) different formats:
Brunch: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-cheese-tortilla-beef-burritos I was really surprised that this was so simple and good.
Dinner: lasagne ( same mince mix cooked yesterday evening) with slices of Asda Gouda in place of pasta. Large salad which included raw shredded sprouts. Paul wasn’t impressed! 2 glasses v heavy red wine.
@MrsA2 thank you for the warning about the long lasting effects of the Chinese meal. I’m glad your BG has finally dropped.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with a lc hm roll followed by yoghurt, three squares of 90% chocolate and a few nuts
Dinner chicken curry with cauliflower rice and glass of gin and soda water followed by DGF mince pie with cream.
Travelling up to yorks tomorrow for caring visit and hopefully bringing my almost 91 year mum back to ours for a week so likely to be very busy. I will try and read your menus when can but won’t be able to post until after Christmas.
Hope everyone has a wonderful lowish carb Christmas with low carb but delicious treats - enjoy I’m hoping to be back recording what I eat before new year if all goes to plan but after more than four years now of eating low carb and enjoying it so much I’m not likely to go too far off the rails - I hope.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My iron levels have improved, just need to complete the last 10 days worth of tablets then have my iron rechecked when I have my diabetic review bloods in May.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: salmon and cream cheese sandwiches (made with LC bread) with coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by DGF coconut and raspberry cake with cream.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much food to report today.
I fasted until 6pm, just wasn't hungry and was busy too.
So why has bg been hanging around 7 all day, except for a spike to 9? Time correlates to a period of stress.:arghh:
Then dinner at 6 was stir fry veg and fresh plaice.. did have 1/3 of a proper brownie (boys ate the rest) but the spike went to 12:arghh:
I thought wearing a libre would help me with Christmas but it seems to be showing me even my baseline isn't good these past few days. I'm usually 5s and 6s but 8's are more common currently

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My iron levels have improved, just need to complete the last 10 days worth of tablets then have my iron rechecked when I have my diabetic review bloods in May.
You can come with me and get a 500 ml baggie of iron infused into you next time I get one done, saves taking pills.

We can critique the Queensland Health sandwiches they supply together.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I finally found a place for my lonely goat!
He will move to the garden of my cousin and her family, where he will have 3 female goat friends and two pigs to keep him company!

It took one of my best speeches through telephone to convince them, and 4 hours with a rather large and horned goat in the back of my modest Citroën C3 will be an adventure, but I'm very much looking forward to this special Christmas eve where Melle will find his new life and his new manger, how's that for a nativity scene!

Oh, and I had tomato soup again, as I'm sure you'll find that much more interesting than my goat! :hilarious:

Still, you'll get a picture of the curious goat, not my food, as I'm pretty sure you all know what tomato soup in a bowl looks like.

267664465_10224781812006979_2112283773136694968_n.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, small portion of baked beans for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial and osmolax brew for smoko.
Rib fillet steak, fries onions, salad, low sugar lemon jelly for lunch.
Cold chicken sandwiches for supper at six.

Got a text message from the medical practise that I have been getting my covid shots at, to log in, show your your vax certificate and wear a mask when I go for my booster shot next Thursday. :D

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an experimental meal of runner beans and hard boiled eggs mashed with butter yesterday. Was OK, but what I really wanted was tomato soup, which I told myself was ridiculous because I'd already had tomato soup for 6 or 7 days in a row.

Anyone ever heard of a cold lasting for almost two weeks with one of the main symptoms being a sudden and very strong love of tomato soup? :wacky::hilarious:

So today I gave in again, and made another pot of tomato soup :D.
I must say, I'm getting closer and closer to making the perfect little meatballs for in the soup!
The soup made me happy again, and I'm left wondering when this sudden love of tomato soup will just as suddenly change to never wanting tomato soup again, this really is ridiculous!

Still, nothing wrong with it from a nutrients point of view, so who cares if I eat tomato soup all the time!
Hey I have now go a notion for some nice warm comforting tomato soup - how do make it and does it raise your BS much?

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner (out with colleagues for Chrimbo) - surf n turf with large side salad to include cheese & coleslaw and I was very very good and didn't have a dessert - most of them did - and it didn't honestly bother me at all. Oh and I had a few morgan spiced rums with diet colas just to be sociable of course ... :happy:

@shelley262 @DJC3 @maglil55 (and anyone else I may have missed) I have ordered the shortbread from dgf - it looks lovely and not sure if yous know but the first orders are getting a free secret santa box ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I have now go a notion for some nice warm comforting tomato soup - how do make it and does it raise your BS much?
I'll give you the recipe tomorrow, when I'm not on my phone!
For me, it does need some insulin but not much, so it's pretty low carb and likely suitable for you :).
Easy and cheap too!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I would very much like to see a picture of the goat in the C3. How easy will it be to actually get the goat into the car? I struggle to get my dog into the car sometimes and he is not horned or particularly large.
On a food related line (to avoid any derailing) Tomato soup for a week is fine I have had cottage cheese for lunch every day for the last 6 weeks. Why change something you enjoy until you don't anymore

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here you go:

- Can of tomatoes (whole or cubed) or passata (Just look for either the cheapest or the one with the fewest carbs. Often this will be the same can :))
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- some garlic cloves
- small can of tomato paste
- Stock cube (I use the vegetarian 'garden herbs' variety)
- water
- cream
Optional:
- bay leaf
- dried green herbs, thyme or rosemary or such
- some finely cut sundried tomatoes in oil

Of course you can use fresh tomatoes as well if you like, but they're expensive at the moment, it's more work, and besides I like the soup as it is.

- fry onions until soft
- add finely chopped garlic
- add tomato paste and fry a bit more until the garlic is tasty
- add tomatoes/passata, water and stock cube
- use stick blender if you used tomatoes instead of passata, although I like to have some cubed tomatoes in my soup, sometimes I add some of those afterwards.
- add herbs and little meatballs if you want meat in your soup, and let simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- add cream generously

You can make meatballs any way you like of course, but after some experimenting I liked them best this way:

- minced meat (I used half pork, half cow)
- 1 very finely chopped onion
- garlic
- 1 egg
- salt or soy sauce (which I used because I couldn't find the salt)
- spoon of Indonesian sambal badjak, which you won't have but I'm sure you can subtitute for something else to add some flavour)
- Two spoons of green pesto

This makes a rather soft mix, so I fried the little meatballs shortly in a frying pan to have the outside stick together before adding them to the soup, worked remarkably well!
@Antje77 I would very much like to see a picture of the goat in the C3. How easy will it be to actually get the goat into the car? I struggle to get my dog into the car sometimes and he is not horned or particularly large.
I still have the same car as when I got the goats, almost two years ago, so I can show you the picture from when we got them! And of course I'll share a new picture after this adventure. :)
That time, getting them in the car was a nightmare. We didn't know the goats yet, so the obvious thing to do was to get the car as close to the goat stall as I could, and have the previous owners handle them, as we expected them to know how to handle their own goats.

They obviously didn't!

They tried to catch them for 20 minutes, and every time they had one they let go of it again because they were actually scared of their own goats. This of course drove the goats into a full blown panic, jumping up against the walls, not a pretty sight.
Thankfully my friend stepped in, and just grabbed one of the goats by the horns and wrestled it to the car, where we could lift it together. Same for the second goat.

This time I have a better plan!
I'll simply take a bucket of sweet food and rattle it so he'll follow me to the car, which shouldn't be a problem. He's also fine with being cuddled while eating, so that's what my neighbour and I will do, and then we'll lift him in a sudden move and have him in the car before he realises something's off!
Or at least, this is the plan. :D

Last time they seemed to enjoy the car ride, so I hope it will be the same this time.

266976641_10224781804446790_5603653968219611107_n.jpg

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb