What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 I had the same email, but mine appear to be stuck in Swindon!

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PE bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: chilli con carne with sliced sautéed courgettes followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.
Thelowcarbco took money out of my bank account today for my order - do you think that could mean my order is on its way? - sorry to ask you but it's just I have heard nothing from the company

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 17 December – Bed 7.5 FBG 7.4
Last day of school!
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.
L Nothing. Boys to collect and get home to review lists.
D. Baaad mistake! Hubby wanted Chinese box from M&S. I did make cauliflower fried rice. Beef was fine as was the veggies from Hubby's chow men. Sweet & Sour chicken and spring roll though? Nooo. I hit 12.3 before it started going down. I did get to 7.8 by bedtime though. I won't do that again.
@Annb & @Antje77 – loved the Goat stories but I'm now singing “Lonely Goatherd”.
Saturday 18 December – Bed 7.8 FBG 7.1
It was a good idea to swerve DGF & cream yesterday.
B. Just TAG. Last jujitsu before holidays.
L. Straight to the butcher’s then Tesco.
D. A more sensible meal of usual cold cuts – ham, mini German sausage, fab rare roast beef from butcher, ox tongue, mini mozzarella, santini tomatoes, ½ avocado and coleslaw, baby beets. Later DGF coffee and walnut with cream.
Sunday 19 December – Bed 7.7 FBG 7 5
B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with roast beef , tomato and mustard.
L. Nothing. Final swimming lesson today.
D. Sirloin, mushrooms, asparagus. Usual campari and soda. DGF coffee and walnut with blackberries.
I’ve typed this up on Word as I’m fed up with the App booting me out just when I get everything done.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Used up stuff today that was left before I do a big shop ...

Brunch - 1 slice slc bread with toasted cheese on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - 3 scrambled eggs & cheese. 2 dgf chocolate orange brownies with double cream
My big shop arrived today. It was "fun" fitting it in. I have a lot of cooking to do over next 3 days. Fortunately, I now know Christmas Day us Saturday not Sunday.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve typed this up on Word as I’m fed up with the App booting me out just when I get everything done.
Does this happen at different times than at 11PM?
Did you get a notification for the PM I started? It would be really helpful if you'd share your issues with the forum there so we can have it looked into.

Stacey79

First time I've posted my food and only 3 weeks in so please be gentle with me but would love some feedback on my food vs my BS levels (see pic)

B - porridge oats made with semi skimmed milk ( hubby made it but didn't weigh it - he eyeballs everything!) few strawberries

L - home made chicken n veg soup (chicken chunks, onion, peas, sweetcorn, small amount of grated carrot, green beans and oxo chicken stock. Followed by 1 plum, 1 very large Orange and about 10 green grapes

D - small jacket potato, knob of butter, cheddar cheese, 2 chicken drumsticks, mixed green leaves, Cucumber, spring onion, cherry tomatoes, red pepper. Followed by strawberries and a plum

Snacks: banana (between lunch and dinner). About 15 chocolate buttons (evening while watching TV).Normally I would have polished off the whole share bag without a second thought so quite proud of myself.

Clearly porridge is out!!
Screenshot_20211221-230240_Blood%20Glucose%20Tracker.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thelowcarbco took money out of my bank account today for my order - do you think that could mean my order is on its way? - sorry to ask you but it's just I have heard nothing from the company

I pay by PayPal and they charge me straight away when I order, so I don’t know if your money being debited for your bank account is any indication of when they will arrive. Sorry I can’t help :(

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First time I've posted my food and only 3 weeks in so please be gentle with me but would love some feedback on my food vs my BS levels (see pic)
Of course we'll be gentle!
Looking at your numbers it looks like your food choices have made you rise significantly.
Breakfast of porridge with skimmed milk rose you rather alarmingly high. If it were me I'd start to think about choosing a much lower carb breakfast, as the porridge doesn't seem to help you.

Do you like bacon or cheese and eggs? Or perhaps full fat greek yoghurt with nuts or berries?

Other things that stand out in your food choices are the sweetcorn, orange, grapes, potato and banana. Those are all high carb foods, and from your numbers it looks like you don't deal too well with them.
However, your breakfast results are the most obvious. Many of us find we have much more trouble dealing with any amount of carbs in the morning than later in the day, looks like you're no exception.

As for the chocolate, even if you're not particularly fond of very high percentage chocolate, we have some tricks to make it yummy!
And seeing your drop after dinner, it looks like you can get away with a little more carbs in the evening, and I completely agree with being proud of yourself for not eating the whole bag!

Have you encountered this blog already? I think you'll find it useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I pay by PayPal and they charge me straight away when I order, so I don’t know if your money being debited for your bank account is any indication of when they will arrive. Sorry I can’t help :(
No probs - many thanks - I am assuming if I have paid for the goods I should receive them soon ...

Stacey79

Of course we'll be gentle!
Looking at your numbers it looks like your food choices have made you rise significantly.
Breakfast of porridge with skimmed milk rose you rather alarmingly high. If it were me I'd start to think about choosing a much lower carb breakfast, as the porridge doesn't seem to help you.

Do you like bacon or cheese and eggs? Or perhaps full fat greek yoghurt with nuts or berries?

Other things that stand out in your food choices are the sweetcorn, orange, grapes, potato and banana. Those are all high carb foods, and from your numbers it looks like you don't deal too well with them.
However, your breakfast results are the most obvious. Many of us find we have much more trouble dealing with any amount of carbs in the morning than later in the day, looks like you're no exception.

As for the chocolate, even if you're not particularly fond of very high percentage chocolate, we have some tricks to make it yummy!
And seeing your drop after dinner, it looks like you can get away with a little more carbs in the evening, and I completely agree with being proud of yourself for not eating the whole bag!

Have you encountered this blog already? I think you'll find it useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/
I love bacon cheese and eggs. Going to have a couple of boiled eggs with crispbread to dip tomorrow...well today lol

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Still feeling very sore, but not nauseous at least. Up and about early today. My cleaner is coming to do the floors sometime this morning, so to get ready for her I clear everything off the floors and put it all up on beds, tables - anywhere I can get it. I can't do the floors, but in any case it's good to have someone coming in because it makes me get myself organised to get the rest done before she gets here (dishes, washing, bathrooms, etc). No idea why I do that but I don't think it is all that unusual. Doesn't help with the painful joints though. Still, it's done now, which I why I am at this laptop now.

Breakfast: avocado on toast - 2 slices of a small wholemeal loaf - about 30g carb.

2nd meal will have to be either some of the gammon or the fish. Might make salmon cakes with some ready cooked butternut squash. Probably need an egg to hold it together. That and some salad will do me for the day, I should think.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

B - porridge oats made with semi skimmed milk ( hubby made it but didn't weigh it - he eyeballs everything!) few strawberries

L - home made chicken n veg soup (chicken chunks, onion, peas, sweetcorn, small amount of grated carrot, green beans and oxo chicken stock. Followed by 1 plum, 1 very large Orange and about 10 green grapes

D - small jacket potato, knob of butter, cheddar cheese, 2 chicken drumsticks, mixed green leaves, Cucumber, spring onion, cherry tomatoes, red pepper. Followed by strawberries and a plum

Snacks: banana (between lunch and dinner). About 15 chocolate buttons (evening while watching TV).Normally I would have polished off the whole share bag without a second thought so quite proud of myself.

Clearly porridge is out!!View attachment 52524

I agree with Antje77. For me, oats of any kind, at any time, is a bad idea. Fruits are lovely but also have a bad habit of putting up the glucose levels - same applies to fruit juices - even more so. For me, full cream milk is best - more fat but fewer carbs. Same with yoghurts.

Bacon and eggs, or cold meats, are the only thing I have come across that doesn't put BS up at breakfast time. (The toast I had this morning will have put the level up, but I hope, not too far.)

Soups are great as long as they are not thickened with anything (flour/potato/cornflour etc) and as long as the vegetables are fairly low carb (onions, leeks, green leaves, courgette, maybe a small amount of carrot but legumes and corn are all fairly high carb and not good for BS).

I can get away with a small amount of tomato, but I'm not sure everyone can. I couldn't even eat one or two chocolate buttons - unless they are some of the 100% cocoa butter and no sugar ones. The trouble with normal chocolate buttons is not the chocolate but all the sugar that is in them. I have to say, most people don't like the 100% chocolate - it is bitter and they prefer something around the 90% level, which does have some sugar, but not much.

Having said all this, I am an extreme case and it takes almost nothing to put my BS up and even my starting level is higher than it should be. This, despite being on very high levels of insulin.

The thing is, to test your BS with everything you eat and see what it does to you. Everyone is different and what suits me, might not suit you, or anyone else on this forum.

The only thing that puts my BS down is to fast and even then, it will go too far down (hypo) and correcting that will shove it right up again (for example, I unintentionally more or less fasted yesterday but still BG went far too high (17.9), I took a correction dose of insulin around 10 pm but woke up at 2 am with a full blown hypo (3.6) then ate a boiled sweet and slept again until 7 am when BG was 12.0). I'm told that yo-yoing isn't good for me, but the alternative for me is to take even more insulin and eat absolutely no carbs, so only fish, meat and dairy really. By the way, I don't stick to my own rules all the time and I fall by the wayside. But I pick myself up again and try again tomorrow, and I'm still here to plague and puzzle everyone.

Don't think you will be like me. Mine is a very long standing condition which wasn't treated when it could have been. If you can get it right now, just recently diagnosed, you will do much better than me. So test before and after eating and you will find out what is right for you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love bacon cheese and eggs. Going to have a couple of boiled eggs with crispbread to dip tomorrow...well today lol
Yum! :hungry:
But be mindful of the amount of crispbread you eat, have a look at the back of the pack to find out how many carbs per slice. Just fill up on the eggs, and have a little crispbread on the side, not the other way around!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had one of the gammon steaks with an egg on top for 2nd meal. Ended up eating the egg but not the gammon. So I still have one gammon steak and quite a lot of salmon to use up. I've cut the gammon into chunks and will make either a ham based soup or a ham and vegetable stew with butternut squash. I've mixed the salmon with some pre-cooked butternut squash and some onions and am currently baking off some salmon melts (rather than tuna melts). Not sure how they will turn out - I've never made melts of any kind before but I may have one to try before I put the rest away in the freezer. Also made some spinach and haricot soup with the chicken stock. I know, legumes are bad, but there's not many compared to the amount of soup. Not sure when I'll have that.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Online exercise class made it easy to skip breakfast
L: truffle brie with 2 homemade lc seedy crackers and 1 piece lc soda bread. Think a bit of ham went too, and soem marmite pecan nuts.
Today's cook ahead session was Delias cranberry and orange relish but I swapped the sugar for erythritol on the basis the stronger flavours would mask any after taste. Hubby thinks it's too sour, boy says it's just right. Main thing is it hasn't raised my levels at all Yay!
D: 5 strands of spaghetti with 1 veggie ball and a tablespoon of jar tomato sauce (sneaked portion from boys meal) topped with grated cheddar and an egg scrambled through. Was very tasty. Chocolate mug cake as fancied something warm and comforting. Hit the right spot.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a DGF white chocolate and lemon cookie.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: scrambled eggs on Marmite on toast made with low carb toast followed by a DGF crimbo crumble and cream.
You may have guessed my DGF delivery arrived this morning after a sleep over in Swindon! I hope you got yours today @maglil55 x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for the idea of making boeuf bourguignon, @DJC3 !
I just found out I love it. :hungry:

And I made another life changing discovery, cauliflower purée tastes great! Not only as a dish on its own, but it comes so close to mashed potatoes I expect it will work as a substitute in traditional Dutch 'stamppot'. I've been missing the stamppot rauwe andijvie especially.
I don't dare translating andijvie because the google tells me endive is chicory (the white things) but andijvie looks more like a green lettuce.

269938129_10224829241632690_547668681613785730_n.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does this happen at different times than at 11PM?
Did you get a notification for the PM I started? It would be really helpful if you'd share your issues with the forum there so we can have it looked into.
It's happening loads. One consistent thing I noticed is if it is long. Short posts done quickly work. Like this one.

Reactions: MrsA2