What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
slc instant porridge
I just went on their website to check out the ingredients. It's currently reduced to £1.99 from £6.49 !
It contains oats and erythritol, and has very mixed reviews.
Very easy, and as quick, to make your own using favourite seeds rather than thier pick

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OMAD today. I'm not hungry at all but I will have something later. Didn't have my fish last night either - didn't want anything. Very cold today - not so much the air temperature but it may be the wind chill on the front of the house. Insulation is not as good as we were told it would be when we built the house.

The one meal will be a wrap (ancient grains - 20 g carbs) with some fish, vegetables, salad and some N African spices in yoghurt. Plus some roasted peanuts and parmesan to sprinkle over the top. Will also make some fish soup with the rest of yesterday's fish and vegetables. Also need to do something with the fresh haddock. Maybe make some big fish fingers and freeze them before it's too late.

Don't think the calories in today's food will be too much but I have no idea what it might amount to. The wrap itself is 120 cal so even with fish, veg, salad, yoghurt and the sprinkle, it must be within 1000.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of eggs today - forgot I’d planned frittata for dinner when made lunch !
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with one hm lc roll followed by yoghurt and a few raspberries, a few nuts and two 85% chocolate batons
Dinner frittata with salads followed by lc crumble with cream

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

OMAD+ today i.e one large meal and one v small top-up

The main event was slow roasted lamb shoulder.
Top-up was a few pieces of corned beef and 2 small pickled onions.

0A240439-2228-4F13-89B7-1811BD6FCA90.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just went on their website to check out the ingredients. It's currently reduced to £1.99 from £6.49 !
It contains oats and erythritol, and has very mixed reviews.
Very easy, and as quick, to make your own using favourite seeds rather than thier pick

It’s oat fibre rather than oats, not as carby as pure oats, I use it in a few other recipes. Having said that I wouldn’t buy the porridge again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - Eventually got round to trying the slc instant porridge (as it's out of date end of January) - I was not impressed imo it didn't taste very nice at all and that was with a little greek yoghurt & berries on top and it put me up to a 9.5 (more than a rise of over 3!) - so that was a waste of £6.99 or whatever I paid for it at the time - anyone else tried this and how did you get on with it?

Dinner - 3 scrambled eggs n cheese with 2 slices slc bread toasted and buttered. 2 squares lindtt 90% with mug of earl grey tea

I’ve got a bag in the cupboard, just about to go out of date too. I didn’t really like it and only had it once, but it didn’t raise my BG that much. They say 1.6 g carbs per portion. Could it have been the milk you made it with? What milk did you use?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of leftovers, still a lot to get through.
Chicken and Mayo in SLC roll
Sliced turkey breast with salad, DGF cookie ( frozen)
Flash fried steak topped with a slice of Gouda topped with a fried egg and a side of wilted spinach. HC 90% choc afterwards. Still trying to finish my Christmas stash without going overboard.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of eggs today - forgot I’d planned frittata for dinner when made lunch !
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with one hm lc roll followed by yoghurt and a few raspberries, a few nuts and two 85% chocolate batons
Dinner frittata with salads followed by lc crumble with cream
You were lucky! I often have eggs for lunch or breakfast then find I don't have enough for the planned evening meal:banghead:

Skipped breakfast
Online exercise class
L: cheese crisps but this particular sliced gouda is proving too melty. Topped up with pate on seedy crackers. 1 small portion of pickled veg. Half an avocado
Mid afternoon 2 Square hm lc ginger cake. Must try to find a way of stopping these mid afternoon pangs.
D: frittata with cheese, onions, chard and roasted radishes. 2 glasses white wine (first in a week yay! 2 sqs 85%

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a cookies and cream PE bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a caramel Carb Killa bar
Dinner: liver and onions with Brussels and broccoli followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hungry. Cold.. weather and feeling like I am starting one. Feed a cold, starve a fever.
So, breakfast: Fage full fat yogurt with blueberries, mixed nuts, coffee with cream

lunch: mixed olives, chunk of cheddar cheese, thick slice of ham, black coffee

mid afternoon: black coffee

dinner: rest of beef and buttery cabbage from yesterday, califlower mustard mash

evening: decaff coffee with cream

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today was the day!

Finally, after almost 5 years, stamppot andijvie!
To celebrate this very happy moment I had it with rookworst (Dutch smoked sausage), a couple of rashers of bacon and plenty of melted cheese cubes inside. Next time will be a bit more modest, but this needed a proper celebration, I've missed this dish so much!

It tasted just as good with cauliflower purée as it does with potatoes too. :)

271701030_10224924754580454_7842222305858926503_n.jpg

And this is what it did to my BG, it really is amazing!
I ate at 8:45, no insulin injected for it, although I might still have had the last bit of active insulin going from injecting for a beer at 5.

271762819_10224925052387899_6628835534572983339_n.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hard boiled eggs, two slices of vegimite on low carb toast for breakfast.
No smoko again, lemon cordial / osmolax brew.
Grilled lamb shoulder chops, veggies, gravy for lunch.
Ham and salad low carb wraps for supper at six.

I had it with rookworst
I never thought of making sausages out of rooks, we have a lot of crows at times, I wonder if they would work.

Rook-1.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve got a bag in the cupboard, just about to go out of date too. I didn’t really like it and only had it once, but it didn’t raise my BG that much. They say 1.6 g carbs per portion. Could it have been the milk you made it with? What milk did you use?
Yes could have been - I used semi skimmed as I didn't have anything else but I think I will try it again with coconut milk and not use so much - it's worth a 2nd try especially at nearly £7 a packet - for me it tasted quite chemically so the coconut milk might change the flavour hopefully

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a cookies and cream PE bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a caramel Carb Killa bar
Dinner: liver and onions with Brussels and broccoli followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.
Hi could you tell me if tomatoes or cherry tomatoes are ok on low carb and feta cheese please just to put in a salad

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feta cheese yes.
Tomatoes depends on your meter. They are technically a fruit and can raise some people too much. Test and see what they do to you.
As you lower your levels you may find you can tolerate more carbs
I have 3 or 4 cherry ones about once a fortnight.
Lots of carb values and great meal ideas on dietdoctor.com

Reactions: Jayne1983

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi could you tell me if tomatoes or cherry tomatoes are ok on low carb and feta cheese please just to put in a salad
Feta cheese is no carb, or almost no carb.
Tomatoes have some carbs but not a lot, so unless you are on a keto type diet, by all means include them in your salad!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never thought of making sausages out of rooks, we have a lot of crows at times, I wonder if they would work.
I didn't even realise the literal translation. Don't make sausage out of rooks, considering their diet I don't think they make a sensible source of protein!

'Rook' is smoke, so rookworst is a smoked sausage. :hungry:

Reactions: Speedbird

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes could have been - I used semi skimmed as I didn't have anything else but I think I will try it again with coconut milk and not use so much - it's worth a 2nd try especially at nearly £7 a packet - for me it tasted quite chemically so the coconut milk might change the flavour hopefully

Hope so, and if it’s one of the 0 carb coconut milk brands it shouldn’t raise your BG either. My daughter quite likes the porridge so she’s working her way through it thank goodness, it’s expensive to waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55