Lelliee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone!

(my first post)

14/11/20 8.0
06/12/20 7.7 (This is when I read up about DP)
09/12/20 8.4
28/12/20 - Started Low Carb diet
29/12/20. 7.3
30/12/20 7.1
31/12/20 6.4
04/01/21 6.6
08/01/21 5.3 (Today)

Happy with the latest result:)
Well done!
It's cool that you're nearly the same age as me, I tend not to see many people on here around my age who aren't type 1. Pleased to meet you

Tlkj65427

Hi
I'm new and trying to find out some information.

My glucose level was picked up during a health insurance check. Since then I have been monitoring my levels.

My fasting levels are 7.2, 6.4, 5.4, 6.8

I'm fit and healthy eat a paleo diet, exercise 3-5 times a week, I do not smoke or drink.

Any ideas on what I can do? Should I see my gp or are these levels ok?

Thank you

Reactions: elise40

arfanj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!
It's cool that you're nearly the same age as me, I tend not to see many people on here around my age who aren't type 1. Pleased to meet you

Hey Lelliee,

Happy to meet you too! Hope you are doing well, I'm afraid I have fallen back into my old ways. Today's fbs.. 8.1:(

Back to a low carb diet and the gym!

Lelliee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Lelliee,

Happy to meet you too! Hope you are doing well, I'm afraid I have fallen back into my old ways. Today's fbs.. 8.1:(

Back to a low carb diet and the gym!

I am okay thank you!
In the same position unfortunately... And that's with low carb diet! Probably less than 20/30g a day.
Still go to bed on 5/6 and wake up around 7-9 everyday ... Very deflating!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting levels are 7.2, 6.4, 5.4, 6.8
Have you been monitoring your bg levels at other times eg before meals and 2 hours after? Are you able to leave up to 4 hours between your last food consumption and bed? Did you do anything different the night before your fasting 5.4?

It is likely that either your GP would say those levels are fine, or might offer you Metformin, which you might or might not like to take. (I choose to take the maximum dose as I would like to keep my bg levels as near normal as possible, and I reckon every little helps.)

Would you like to list what you are eating, as not all Paleo diets are the same? Does yours permit fruit?

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 my first fasting blood sugar, so I don't know if it's good or bad:bored: I think I'm still in denial:shifty: x

Reactions: Pasha

BigDaddy2

Mine was 5.2 today ate bout 7pm last night. No carb. Had 30 mins this morning on bike then measured at noon. Will do lunch 12:30pm. Then tea at 6pm, this gives big fast gap to lunch at 12~1pm tomorrow.
Hopefully starts burning stored fat a little if done regularly.

LINMARIE

7.5 at 7.50 today (fasting). It's better than the 8.2 I had a few days ago. Cider vinegar and some almonds at bedtime. No wine with dinner yesterday.

Hi there -
Can I ask how do you take the cider vinegar with almonds before bed as surely you cant just drink it off the spoon well I couldn't without being sick so do you take it with a piece of food? I am a complete newbie and desperately trying to look at tips and make a note book of the things that work for people - apple and peanut spread people say work - but gives me indigestion before bed.

Please let me know thanks

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask how do you take the cider vinegar with almonds before bed
Hello @LINMARIE, I am a great one for "miracle' remedies, although at the same time I am sceptical about their value. I do take cider vinegar regularly. One study I read about involved participants' taking apple cider vinegar before meals, which seemed to lower their bg after the meals, but there was a proviso that this might only work if the meal was high in carbs. I have also read warnings NOT to take the vinegar neat, as that could damage the enamel on one's teeth. I buy very high quality cider vinegar:
upload_2022-1-13_16-57-55.jpeg

I keep it cold in the fridge and dilute 1T in a glass of cold water. I find it delicious. I try to avoid consuming anything other than water just before bed, as lying down and sleeping delays digestion. I try to follow the advice to finish eating 4 hours before bed. IMO trying a few hacks to lower bg can be good for morale, but the truly important strategy is keeping the carbs down. Good luck!

LINMARIE

Hello @LINMARIE, I am a great one for "miracle' remedies, although at the same time I am sceptical about their value. I do take cider vinegar regularly. One study I read about involved participants' taking apple cider vinegar before meals, which seemed to lower their bg after the meals, but there was a proviso that this might only work if the meal was high in carbs. I have also read warnings NOT to take the vinegar neat, as that could damage the enamel on one's teeth. I buy very high quality cider vinegar:
View attachment 52878
I keep it cold in the fridge and dilute 1T in a glass of cold water. I find it delicious. I try to avoid consuming anything other than water just before bed, as lying down and sleeping delays digestion. I try to follow the advice to finish eating 4 hours before bed. IMO trying a few hacks to lower bg can be good for morale, but the truly important strategy is keeping the carbs down. Good luck!

Reactions: Omar51

LINMARIE

Thanks for the info on the apple cider. Dont think i could drink it though but will give anything a try as I got to get a grip to this as still got the perscription in my bag for Metorformen but gor to give it a good try to lower the ATC readings . Keep up your good work

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife drinks 2 tea spoons in cold water, plus use Vinegar on salad too. I am pre, I can ate some bitter foods but did not develop taste for Vinegar.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,

This topic seems to have swerved off track.

Please remain on the topic of FBG.

Thanx in advance.

gowest12

ok so I’m prediabetic and just got a blood testing monitor and was abit shocked last night when I checked my after meal 2 hours and it was really high! I ate stir fry chicken with noodles I’m sure the noodles probably shot my blood sugars up but it was 8.4 after 2 hours and before it was around 6 ? I also had Greek yoghurt with blueberries and nuts would this meal cause such a rise???

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
ok so I’m prediabetic and just got a blood testing monitor and was abit shocked last night when I checked my after meal 2 hours and it was really high! I ate stir fry chicken with noodles I’m sure the noodles probably shot my blood sugars up but it was 8.4 after 2 hours and before it was around 6 ? I also had Greek yoghurt with blueberries and nuts would this meal cause such a rise???
Hello and welcome, if that's the right word. I'm sure you don't really want to be here. Very sensible of you to join though.
You are probably right about the noodles. But did you realise both the Greek yoghurt and blueberries also have carbs? Not huge amounts, but enough to cause a spike if no many are consumed. The key to blood sugar control is understanding how much of a particular food you can eat. Of course some foods may have to go off the menu entirely.
I always recommend the Cals and Carbs counter app or book to help with this.
The good news is that it is possible to prevent progression to type 2 and sometimes move out of prediabetes altogether.
Well done for taking steps in the right direction.