1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by catherinecherub, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Lelliee

Lelliee Type 2 · Active Member

Well done!
    It's cool that you're nearly the same age as me, I tend not to see many people on here around my age who aren't type 1. Pleased to meet you

2. TeresaS

TeresaS · Newbie

Did you get a reply

3. Tlkj65427

Tlkj65427 · Newbie

Hi
    I'm new and trying to find out some information.

My glucose level was picked up during a health insurance check. Since then I have been monitoring my levels.

My fasting levels are 7.2, 6.4, 5.4, 6.8

I'm fit and healthy eat a paleo diet, exercise 3-5 times a week, I do not smoke or drink.

Any ideas on what I can do? Should I see my gp or are these levels ok?

Thank you

4. arfanj

arfanj Prediabetes · Newbie

Hey Lelliee,

Happy to meet you too! Hope you are doing well, I'm afraid I have fallen back into my old ways. Today's fbs.. 8.1:(

Back to a low carb diet and the gym!

5. Lelliee

Lelliee Type 2 · Active Member

I am okay thank you!
    In the same position unfortunately... And that's with low carb diet! Probably less than 20/30g a day.
    Still go to bed on 5/6 and wake up around 7-9 everyday ... Very deflating!

6. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Have you been monitoring your bg levels at other times eg before meals and 2 hours after? Are you able to leave up to 4 hours between your last food consumption and bed? Did you do anything different the night before your fasting 5.4?

It is likely that either your GP would say those levels are fine, or might offer you Metformin, which you might or might not like to take. (I choose to take the maximum dose as I would like to keep my bg levels as near normal as possible, and I reckon every little helps.)

Would you like to list what you are eating, as not all Paleo diets are the same? Does yours permit fruit?

7. Kenny24

Kenny24 · Newbie

8.0 for me this morning am new to this

• Hug Hug x 2
  8. Camoo

Camoo Prediabetes · Active Member

6.2 my first fasting blood sugar, so I don't know if it's good or bad:bored: I think I'm still in denial:shifty: x

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. ASHRA

ASHRA · Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigDaddy2

BigDaddy2 · Newbie

Mine was 5.2 today ate bout 7pm last night. No carb. Had 30 mins this morning on bike then measured at noon. Will do lunch 12:30pm. Then tea at 6pm, this gives big fast gap to lunch at 12~1pm tomorrow.
    Hopefully starts burning stored fat a little if done regularly.

11. LINMARIE

LINMARIE · Member

Hi there -
    Can I ask how do you take the cider vinegar with almonds before bed as surely you cant just drink it off the spoon well I couldn't without being sick so do you take it with a piece of food? I am a complete newbie and desperately trying to look at tips and make a note book of the things that work for people - apple and peanut spread people say work - but gives me indigestion before bed.

Please let me know thanks

12. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Hello @LINMARIE, I am a great one for "miracle' remedies, although at the same time I am sceptical about their value. I do take cider vinegar regularly. One study I read about involved participants' taking apple cider vinegar before meals, which seemed to lower their bg after the meals, but there was a proviso that this might only work if the meal was high in carbs. I have also read warnings NOT to take the vinegar neat, as that could damage the enamel on one's teeth. I buy very high quality cider vinegar:
    upload_2022-1-13_16-57-55.jpeg
    I keep it cold in the fridge and dilute 1T in a glass of cold water. I find it delicious. I try to avoid consuming anything other than water just before bed, as lying down and sleeping delays digestion. I try to follow the advice to finish eating 4 hours before bed. IMO trying a few hacks to lower bg can be good for morale, but the truly important strategy is keeping the carbs down. Good luck!

13. LINMARIE

LINMARIE · Member

14. LINMARIE

LINMARIE · Member

Thanks for the info on the apple cider. Dont think i could drink it though but will give anything a try as I got to get a grip to this as still got the perscription in my bag for Metorformen but gor to give it a good try to lower the ATC readings . Keep up your good work

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook