What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A 16/8 day today - as fancied eating a lateish breakfast so started eating at 11 rather than fasting to my usual one o clock
Breakfast two boiled eggs and a hm lc roll
Lunch tuna on 5 m and s crackers with two cherry tomatoes followed by fage yoghurt and a few raspberries and some nuts
Mid pm two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner pork saltimboca ( basically pork loin wrapped in Parma ham and fried)served with mushrooms cooked in sage butter and salad followed by lc blondie warmed and then eaten with spoon of cream.
Probably another 16/8 day tomorrow I’ve enjoyed the three meals today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personal trainer Hiit session this morning so didn’t have the designated meal plan breakfast -I always feel quite sick after those sessions.
L- leftover chicken caprese casserole
D- not the meal plan dinner as a neighbour gave us a brace of pheasants at the weekend, so had them with a creamy mushroom, mustard and dry Sherry sauce. Cavolo nero and green beans with it.
I’m really craving a sweet end to the meal but trying to satisfy myself with a mug of decaf coffee and cream.
IMG_1642530679.659213.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unlike @DJC3 I did succumb to the need for something sweet. Been craving for a couple of days. Went out and bought Fage 0%, some raspberries and some Lindt 90%. Far too much of each has already gone. Very enjoyable though and far less damage than some of the alternatives that crossed my mind! No more this evening as bloods in the morning require fasting.

That followed today’s meal of beef topside slow cooked in the air fryer. Delicious. No pics of the cooked meat, but this was how it started out. Nice fat cap!

B8B82E4F-6958-44BD-983C-1271AC84622E.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unlike @DJC3 I did succumb to the need for something sweet. Been craving for a couple of days. Went out and bought Fage 0%, some raspberries and some Lindt 90%. Far too much of each has already gone. Very enjoyable though and far less damage than some of the alternatives that crossed my mind! No more this evening as bloods in the morning require fasting.

That followed today’s meal of beef topside slow cooked in the air fryer. Delicious. No pics of the cooked meat, but this was how it started out. Nice fat cap!

View attachment 52943
Winner for sticking to the low carb sweet options and hope fasting for bloods goes well.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my! Just had the best ever slow roast pork belly. Found a recipe which suggested wrapping the meat (but not the rind) in foil during cooking, to keep it moist and almost confit it. This was a fatty piece but boy did it work. Meat was meltingly tender and the crackling salty and crisp. Shame it was such a small piece!
View attachment 52897
Went to the butcher today to show them your picture and tell them "this is what I want". They looked very relieved when I added "but I don't need it today". :hilarious:
They have to order it as a special order, as pork doesn't usually come like this in the Netherlands, but it should be in on friday!

Does it reheat well on subsequent days? And how best to do so? I didn't have the heart to tell them to make it a 200 gram piece, so I went with 'for 3 or 4 people, definitely less than a kilo'.

Reactions: Annb

mouseee

Positive covid test today! It has given me reduced appetite.
Keto pancakes for brunch.
Slow cooked pork in a flat bread this evening.

Bad head and hot eyes!!

Reactions: Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF orange jelly and cream.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Bad head and hot eyes!!

Sorry you're unwell and for the positive test. Was that a lateral flow test, or a PCR? DIL tested positive with a lateral flow test on Saturday but a PCR test came back negative on Sunday. These lateral flow ones seem to be quite unreliable.

Are hot eyes a symptom of covid? I thought it was just my eyes being a bit of a nuisance - mine have been burning and scratchy for about 3 weeks and, as a result, weeping. But they have done that before. Not sure, these days, what the symptoms of the virus are.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; raw gorilla l/c granola, one slice carbzone rye bread with butter
mocha
Lunch: scrambled egg, serrano and a slice of carbzone, protein bar
Dinner: goulash followed by raspberries and double cream.
One square of 90% lindt so far,... hungry after long walk and lots of housework!!

second day of intermittent fasting, decided it's more a case of mind over matter than hunger!
I thought you said you'd eaten 90g of Lindt!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bad head and hot eyes!!
Hope you get a short & mild bout as we did over Christmas. I was saying to Hubby today that a couple of months ago I knew 2 people that had had covid. Now I know loads!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 7.2 - BGs fairly stable which is good. Didn't rise as high either thanks to another late breakfast as I was at Physio. @DJC3 pheasant looks good. I did a bit of swapping today as well.

B. TAG breakfast had to wait until brunch again.
Brunch - same as yesterday, Cheddar cheese, wilted spinach and 3 fried eggs. I'm kind of enjoying this breakfast.
L. Very late again and even if I'd doubled up the Caprese fish yesterday it would he too much. Instead I had 30g of this with coconut milk. 4.5g carbs in 30g. Someone mentioned it on this thread. Quite a few flavours and really nice.
D The DD chicken, bacon & avocado burger in a lettuce "bun" and I mixed up a lemon mayo. I had the right quantity but made 2 burgers rather than 1 large burger. It was rather a lot and I couldn't finish it.

Despite minced chicken looked odd, it was a really tasty burger.
640x640.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it reheat well on subsequent days? And how best to do so? I didn't have the heart to tell them to make it a 200 gram piece, so I went with 'for 3 or 4 people, definitely less than a kilo'.

I don’t usually have the need - without veg, or with minimal veg and with 1 meal or 1.5 meals about half a kilo just disappears! I have warmed it up once or twice - key is to keep some fatty bits and warm it on a low heat so it doesn’t dry out. Or you could cut whatever you get from the butcher into 2 and freeze some of it.

Reactions: Antje77

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t often feel hungry, but today I could eat a horse and its rider, saddle as well. Must be the cold weather.
Breakfast: black coffee, ‘porridge’ made with coconut flour, ground almonds, flaxseed and coconut milk.
Lunch: after a heavy workout in the pool, salmon, eggs mayonnaise black coffee.
Dinner: after a two hour nap, cumberland sausage with fried cabbage, mushrooms, onion, and yellow pepper. Low sugar tonic.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t usually have the need - without veg, or with minimal veg and with 1 meal or 1.5 meals about half a kilo just disappears! I have warmed it up once or twice - key is to keep some fatty bits and warm it on a low heat so it doesn’t dry out.
To be honest, I was thinking of just using the microwave to reheat a plate of meat and veggies cooked the first day. One day of cooking, followed by 2 or 3 days of popping a plate in the microwave is my usual trick to not having to cook every day :)
I guess I'll just have to try!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 52943

The evening’s not over yet so there’s still plenty of time for me to crack! I’m drinking peppermint tea now in the hope that’ll help.
I think you’re right - when the cravings strike and can’t be ignored, at least make a deliberate conscious decision and have a low carb treat.
That meat looks fabulous.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed 6.9 FBG 7.2 - BGs fairly stable which is good. Didn't rise as high either thanks to another late breakfast as I was at Physio. @DJC3 pheasant looks good. I did a bit of swapping today as well.

Brunch - same as yesterday, Cheddar cheese, wilted spinach and 3 fried eggs. I'm kind of enjoying this breakfast.
L. Very late again and even if I'd doubled up the Caprese fish yesterday it would he too much. Instead I had 30g of this with coconut milk. 4.5g carbs in 30g. Someone mentioned it on this thread. Quite a few flavours and really nice.
D The DD chicken, bacon & avocado burger in a lettuce "bun" and I mixed up a lemon mayo. I had the right quantity but made 2 burgers rather than 1 large burger. It was rather a lot and I couldn't finish it.

Despite minced chicken looked odd, it was a really tasty burger. View attachment 52944

That granola looks interesting. I see that Amazon have it but it is a bit pricey. I think I'll order some and see what it's like.

I made the stuffed aubergine dish tonight and it is all done and ready to eat and, somehow, I don't feel like eating. Must have left it too long after breakfast again and stomach has got used to having nothing in it so is rebelling at the thought. I'll have some fruit tea and see if that settles me down. On such occasions as this, I should have something like the granola to hand.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Despite minced chicken looked odd, it was a really tasty burger. View attachment 52944

Glad the chicken burger was tasty. I was unsure about making it so swapped it last week, I don’t know why I find the thought of chicken mince not as appetising as red meat mince. Perhaps I’ll give them a go if you recommend it, but get someone else to make them.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: small ff greek with seeds and chopped almonds
Exercise class
L: 2 scrambled eggs on lc soda bread with 50g cheese on the side. 15g 70% chocolate
Dance class
Mid afternoon lc hot chocolate
D: gammon with buttered leeks and a little blue cheese stirred through. 5 oven chips. 2 sqs berry cake and double cream

I did start my libre and it's been remarkably steady, albeit high 6s and 7s.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee
Coffee
2 Stone Ground Sandwiches w/ Crisps
Breaded Kiev with Veg & Chips
Yoghurt
Wine

I'm still BMI 32 so I've 3st to shift, might look into 5:2 or OMAD soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I was thinking of just using the microwave to reheat a plate of meat and veggies cooked the first day. One day of cooking, followed by 2 or 3 days of popping a plate in the microwave is my usual trick to not having to cook every day :)
I guess I'll just have to try!

You could always cut the remaining meat into slices (my preference would be thick slices) and fry it. Refried pork is delicious!