Low carb tolerance

T2 Woman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
Just a little update on where I’m at after a few days testing with my new meter. I’ve managed to stay within range over the last 4 days in the main, but did twice spike. The first time I think was too many carbs in one sitting for sure and the second was today when I tried a little experiment. I’m really missing my bread and had switched to whole grain so I decided to see if I could get away with once slice of this with two eggs today. My pre food test was 5.2 and then my post food reading 2 hours later had shot right up to 9.3! On each of these spiking occasions I believe the same one slice of whole grain bread was the culprit! So disappointing, but I thought this would be the case, as I’ve only managed to get the readings I’ve got by getting down to no more than 50 carbs a day and they have mostly been at the high end of normal range. I guess I’m just going to be one of those people who doesn’t handle even low carbs very well. On the days I haven’t eaten this I’ve mostly been ok. I tried the BFree low carb wraps from Sainsbury’s but to be honest I thought they were awful. It’s 4 for £3. I ate one grudgingly when I made fajitas and gave up halfway through the 2nd one. The rest went in the bin as I knew I’d never eat them again. They do have a massive shelf life so if anyone does like them they keep, but not for me. I’d rather have nothing and just eat without them. Wanted to try the low carb bread. I saw some at 1g carbs per slice but when I read the ingredients I decided against it as they are full of palm oil. That was the main reason but price is also expensive at £3.99 for a small loaf. They even advise that if you buy them online they will be close to use by date by the time they get to you and that you should just freeze and take out slices as required. If I thought it would be a healthy option I’d be willing to foot the cost, but as I said bread made with a majority of bad ingredients isn’t worth it to me. I’m going to try a couple of whole grain ryvitas at 3.5G of carbs each at some point this week and see what that does. Onwards and upwards ( but not with my blood sugar readings obviously!)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah bread…. I had to accept, in the end, that bread was out of my life forever. I don’t personally find any of the low carb versions, either commercial or home-made, in any way worth the still fairly high carbs. It was easier to just let it go than keep chasing around after disappointing options. And my digestion is much better with bread out of the picture, no bloating or discomfort.

I do like chaffles though, they fulfil the same purpose as toast as conveyances for peanut butter or sardines from plate to mouth!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread seems to be optional - you don't need to eat it, so if you have a low tolerance for carbs, eat things which are tasty, crunchy, colourful as stir fries or stews, curries, casseroles or salads along with various meats. I enjoy those things far more than bread.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The winner symbol is for testing and finding out wat works (or doesn't in this case),but a hug would be in place for your findings.

Many people find they can handle a little more carbs later in the day. I don't know at what meal you had your bread, but if you find it hard to ditch altogether something may be gained by timing.
Early days, I did often have a third of a slice of bread to satisfy my love of bread, until I decided it wasn't worth the freezing individual slices.
Still, it helped because it meant bread was still in!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm in the 20gms to 40gms of carbs per day tolerance range.
But fortunately for me bread was never my favourite food - I preferred the things we tended to put on bread.
But I know the feeling of loss when faced with the fact you may never be able to eat a favourite food again. For me that was mangoes - I used to eat 2 or 3 of them per day whenever we visited my wife's parents. Also a few a week when there was a decent variety available in the stores.

Reactions: jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@T2 Woman , I always keep a loaf of this bread in the freezer:
https://lowcarbfood.co/shop/low-carb-bread-sliced-loaf-400g/
No nasty ingredients as far as I can see. I don’t eat bread very often but this is the best low carb bread I’ve tasted. There are a selection of other baked goods available here, very expensive but everything I’ve ordered from them has been lovely.

Reactions: chani111

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d rather have nothing and just eat without them.
That's been my take on most things I've bought that say low carb or keto. They tend not be worth the price or taste, mostly
Sometimes though I just need a bit of something to dip into a soft boiled egg and I've found a recipe for a bread like loaf made from seeds and ground almonds and cheese that fits the bill. I get 14-16 slices out of one bake and freeze them with paper in-between so I can just take one or 2 a time. Toasted and cut into soldiers its just right.

Reactions: EllieM and AloeSvea

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's been my take on most things I've bought that say low carb or keto. They tend not be worth the price or taste, mostly
Sometimes though I just need a bit of something to dip into a soft boiled egg and I've found a recipe for a bread like loaf made from seeds and ground almonds and cheese that fits the bill. I get 14-16 slices out of one bake and freeze them with paper in-between so I can just take one or 2 a time. Toasted and cut into soldiers its just right.
Try dipping crispy bacon into your egg…. these are my go-to ‘soldiers’!

Reactions: ianf0ster

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try dipping crispy bacon into your egg…. these are my go-to ‘soldiers’!
Halloumi chips make fantastic soldiers for soft boiled eggs, I spread them with Marmite for extra tastiness!

Reactions: sunspots and jjraak
D

Deleted member 543160

Initially I gave up all obvious foods high in sugars and carbs, including bread. I've since tried Carb Zone and Livlife, and more recently opted for a couple of the Finn Crisp offerings, but bread isn't one of life's absolute necessities for me...

But now if I do fancy something a bit bread like I'll bake myself a "loaf" with nut meal or sesame seed flour - using all good low carb ingredients - basically nuts, eggs, butter - which are part of my diet anyway. My current favourite is a chunky slice of walnut loaf with salty butter and creamy goats cheese.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But now if I do fancy something a bit bread like I'll bake myself a "loaf" with nut meal or sesame seed flour - using all good low carb ingredients - basically nuts, eggs, butter - which are part of my diet anyway. My current favourite is a chunky slice of walnut loaf with salty butter and creamy goats cheese.
That was going so well until you mentioned goats cheese!!! My one absolute food no no

Sorry just had to respond...back to thread topic now..

D

Deleted member 543160

That was going so well until you mentioned goats cheese!!! My one absolute food no no

Sorry just had to respond...back to thread topic now..
But no goats cheese is involved in the actual making of the bread!

ETA However you can add optional extras like grated parmesan to the basic walnut mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But no goats cheese is involved in the actual making of the bread!

ETA However you can add optional extras like grated parmesan to the basic walnut mix.
Yep, I was just being funny, well trying to. ;)

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was really missing bread and hated the low carb options I tried but found that Warburtons Medium Sliced Wholemeal Bread isn't too bad for me. It's low sugar, 55 cals a slice, 9.0g carbs. It's very small and thin but allows me to have eggs on toast a couple of times a week as a breakfast treat. If I keep it to just twice it feels like it's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2 Woman

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't just about any regular bread sliced small and thin be about 9 carbs a slice?
Hovis medium sliced white bread is 17.9g of carbs per full sized slice, so half a slice would be almost exactly 9g.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Seriously Low Carb rolls at around 4g carb per roll. They keep well and freeze and don't contain anything I object to. They're close enough in texture and substance to do for bacon sandwiches and burgers etc. Downside - they are expensive compared with carby bread and have to be bought online.

Reactions: Jayne1983