What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

One proper meal and some morning grazing here. Grazing consumed an entire 500g pot of Fage 0% and a small punnet of raspberries.

Meal was fried eggs and bacon with 2 air fried Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages.

A95B9547-4EC0-4512-B6E4-110EC24C50CD.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.4 FBG 5.9. Got breakfast quickly this morning so I'm waiting to see if that suppresses the dawn rise. I know what I'm having today so I'll get this done now.

B. Still on the DD schedule. TAG and Jill's cheese crusted omelette. I'd forgotten how good and filling that omelette is!
L. Nothing - I'll be off to swimming lessons with grandson.
D. Off piste but still low carb - GF Haggis from the butcher (which doesn't spike me), neeps and cauliflower mash. I'm planning on making cranachan with LC meringues & raspberries when I get back. I'll be using Monk Fruit to make the meringues and again for the small amount of toasted oatmeal I'll have to use. There's a good Nick Nairn trick I've used for years when toasting the oatmeal (I was prone to burning it). He mixes it with brown sugar. I use golden Monk Fruit. Spread on a tray and into the oven. Watch like a hawk as it caramelises quickly before the oatmeal has a chance to burn. Once it cools, a quick whizz to break it down but not too much. I never assemble until the last minute. Always just have the cream whipped, meringues crushed and the toasted oatmeal ready to layer with the raspberries. For those who like alcohol in it, soak the raspberries in a LITTLE Jack Daniels Honey bourbon and "accidentally" swirl some through the cream on assembly.
I will have my normal campari and soda too.

Edited to add adjusted burns supper photos. View attachment 53027View attachment 53028
Cranachan is not as sweet as the traditional version but still delicious. I reckon I prefer cauli mash over potato now as well.
20220123_185835.jpg
20220123_191443.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and DGF blueberry and lemon cake.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing for breakfast, felt crook in my gut.
Couple of hard boiled eggs and a bit of salad in low carb wraps, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Cold meat and a mixed salad, small portion of lemon sorbet for lunch.
Two slices of cheese on toast for supper at six.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Frozen potato (mashed) doesn't spike my BG. In fact it dropped away to 3.5 and my Libre was yelling at me to do something about it. So I had a packet of crisps - 13 g carbs in 25 gram packet and now it's shooting up again - 9.0 and rising! But it seems pretty clear that freezing the potato does something to it chemically. Might try that again, but will be sure not to overdo it. Crisps, on the other hand, not a good idea.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cranachan is not as sweet as the traditional version but still delicious. I reckon I prefer cauli mash over potato now as well.View attachment 53029View attachment 53030

Is that just neeps with your haggis, or do you mix carrot with it? For myself, I've never been keen on swede in any form - could never get it dry enough and it always tasted "wersch" but could cope with it if there was some carrot mashed with it.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Frozen potato (mashed) doesn't spike my BG. In fact it dropped away to 3.5 and my Libre was yelling at me to do something about it. So I had a packet of crisps - 13 g carbs in 25 gram packet and now it's shooting up again - 9.0 and rising! But it seems pretty clear that freezing the potato does something to it chemically. Might try that again, but will be sure not to overdo it. Crisps, on the other hand, not a good idea.
Interesting - the only very small amounts of potatoes I ever eat now are always pre part cooked and open frozen. I freeze new potatoes after parboiling, cut into chip shapes, open freeze and then oven cook them from frozen. They tend not to have an impact on my bgs but only have a few and not very often. I also do the same with root vegetables and celeriac it also helps me so as not to waste food - can prepare a fair few ahead and then just take a portion out of the freezer.

Reactions: Annb and MrsA2

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is that just neeps with your haggis, or do you mix carrot with it? For myself, I've never been keen on swede in any form - could never get it dry enough and it always tasted "wersch" but could cope with it if there was some carrot mashed with it.
Plain neeps mashed with butter and black pepper. I have done them with carrots in them, usually when the boys are about.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Plain neeps mashed with butter and black pepper. I have done them with carrots in them, usually when the boys are about.

Don't the neeps get very wet when you cook them? Or do you have a way of drying them off before mashing?

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My Paleo Foods Berry and Almond grain-free granola arrived just now from Amazon and I just tasted it. Today wasn't going to be OMAD anyway but I'll have to put it away out of sight before I devour it all. It's 228 calories and 5.9 grams carb per 40 gram portion. And it has almonds in it, which may yet cause an issue - we'll see. It's sweetened with dried raspberry, dried blackcurrant and coconut blossom nectar - never heard of that.

I had wholemeal toast earlier this morning with my normal high dose of insulin because BG was starting its morning climb and I hoped to stop it. It didn't work and BG is currently around 15. No doubt I shall have to take a correction dose in a while.

2nd meal will be a mixture of fish in a cream sauce. Would have been fish pie if I'd put a lid on it, but I'd better not even if it is frozen potato. But will I put an egg in with it, I wonder.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Following on from piccalilli ingredients:

I covered the veggies with cider vinegar and to that added:

2 tbsp ground turmeric
pinch nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp half ground mustard seeds (it should have been powdered mustard but when I broke the seal on the tin, it had gone grey and lumpy. I didn't think I had had it all that long, but it was well past its best. I got fed up with hand grinding the seeds, so half ground.)
About 3 oz linseed (very rough measurement)

I'd already grated and cooked 2 pink lady apples in a little water, which I then simmered until just dry. So I added that to the mix with a handful of basil leaves.

Simmered that for 10 minutes and here it is!
S3500001.JPG

It tastes fine - a bit sharp, but that's the way I like it. With having to use mustard seeds instead of powdered mustard, it was never going to be very mustardy, but it's very tasty and will be good to go in a couple or 3 weeks.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all a three meal day today
Late breakfast two boiled eggs with one hm low carb roll with butter
Lunch four m and s seeded crackers with hm chicken liver pate followed by yoghurt with a few raspberries, a few nuts and 10g of 85% chocolate
Dinner frittata with salad followed by DGF low carb salted caramel blondie warmed and served with spoon of cream.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Final food of the day is in the air fryer - bit late for me, but I’m hungry!

Earlier had a late lunch at Five Guys - we went to our new office for the first time today, so normal routines went out of the window. Bacon burger (bunless) with grilled onions and an extra patty.

Pork belly pieces about to be eaten - hurriedly defrosted and air fried!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and 3 brazil nuts and 1 sq 85% chocolate, chopped
Exercise class
Coffee with girlfriends
L: yesterday's leftover caulifower cheese reheated with some leftover roast beef and a tomato. A sort of chocolate mug cake (aka couldn't be bothered to find the recipe so made it up) was warm, solid and OK, just!
Dinner: a slice roast beef with broccoli and a celeriac and kale mash. Not very hungry as had snacked on chilli marmite nuts hubby had cooked (unasked and unneeded and too tempting) and too much tasting of the mash while cooking it.

Edited for several typos

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't the neeps get very wet when you cook them? Or do you have a way of drying them off before mashing?

We tend to drain the neeps in a colander, and whilst it has a moment or two to drain, the saucepan dries itself by evaporation. Swede back into the pan for mashing, then add sour cream and plenty white pepper. We had this last night with lovely roast beef and other veggies.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven’t kept up of late, tutt.
Saturday, felt a bit bluegh, so
Breakfast: couple of spoonsful of Fage ff yogurt , black coffee.
Nothing else until evening , a cup of home made veg soup.

Sunday
Brunch : eggs, bacon, sausage mushrooms, balack coffee
Dinner: beef, cauliflower mash, onion gravy, 2 baby carrots Merlot

Today
Breakfast: Fage ff yogurt with walnuts, black coffee
Lunch : black coffee , small piece of brie
Dinner: left over beef, romanesce cauli, cheese, sugar free tonic, slice of lime

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don't. I don't do anything special, just drain into a colander and let them drip. Then I use a stick blender to mash with butter and black pepper. If it needs a quick reheat then it's back into a pot or a blast in the microwave.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed and FBG Both 6 5. I couldn't think what day it was then I realised it was Monday.....again.

B. TAG then off on the school run, get grandson's lunch for the week and pick up meds. Back in time to put shopping delivery away. After that, back bacon, 2 fried eggs and 4 santini tomatoes.
L. Coconut milk.
D. A rerun of last night. Haggis, neeps and cauliflower mash plus the last wee bit of the cranachan.

Spent the rest of the evening assisting DIL with her tax return which is now gone.