What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cauliflower/endive dish smelled a bit off, (not unexpected, I've been eating it for 3 days already) so that will go to the chickens and turkeys tomorrow morning.

So instead I had two slices of low carb bread, one with 'ossenworst', a Dutch sausage of raw beef and spices and a soft boiled egg, and one with cheese, tomato and mayonnaise.
I fried the last meatballs for the dogs and cats. :)

No room in the kitchen for cooking, so a very good thing I fancied a simple meal of bread!
For complicated reasons involving dishwashers I decided to empty out my old kitchen cabinet to get rid of it and put up some shelves instead.
I'm now at the stage where there are both the new and the old in the kitchen, in half assembled states, and every horizontal surface in the kitchen is filled with pots and pans, dishes, mugs, glasses, casseroles, saucers, peanut butter jars and things like that.
I'm also wondering why a one person household has 6 frying pans, 5 sauce pans, some 40 plates, at least 25 mugs and 5 casseroles.
So that you can avoid washing up too often thus saving water and helping to reduce out impact on the planet

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So that you can avoid washing up too often thus saving water and helping to reduce out impact on the planet
I'm doing very well for the planet, I do the dishes once a week. For the last 6 months I've been doing them by hand, in a bowl, but hopefully I'll be having the machine do it again in the not too far away future. Still, even then the machine will only run once a week, when it's full.
With all those mugs and plates I'm in no danger to run out in between!
@Antje77 has cats and dogs to do that apparently. ;)
And a good thing I have too!
Without them doing all the pre-rinsing daily, the weekly dishes would be a lot more work, and a dishwasher wouldn't manage. :happy:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding
22:15 ff greek with chopped almonds. Was feeling hungry and had a bad night's sleep last night being ravenous between 3 and 4 :40 am, so this is my attempt at getting a good night's sleep.
I usually eat dinner early and then go right through as long as possible the next day so this is a novelty and feels very sinful

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a busy few days. Not kept up with all the posts, as when I start to read, get distracted, and never get to end.
My teachers were right when my school reports used to state “ could do better if tried”.
Mitigating circumstances… have been spending more time exercising, then needing to snooze after.
Sunday:
Brunch: egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, black coffee
Dinner: roast pork loin, sausage and leek stuffing, creamy cabbage and leek, pepsi max with a measure of rum.

Monday:
Breakfast: Fage yogurt, black coffee
Lunch: cheddar cheese, black coffee
Dinner: remains of Sunday dinner, but without the pepsi and rum

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I hope the ravine tastes as good as it sounds. I love a ravine.
@Goonergal the meat looks melt in the mouth tender and succulent. So was it just put in the slow cooker with a few spoonfuls of stock and a marrowbone?

Just in the slow cooker (well IP slow cook function) with stock (home made). The marrow bone was part of the shin. It had completely melted. Delicious.

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve seen some photos of the devastation the storm has made up there. Hope all of you in the northern parts of this isle can hunker down and stay safe. Glad your grandson is ok too, it must be so reassuring for his M&d that you are able to help so much.
I’ll also be restarting an old DD meal plan when I get home Not sure which yet, but I agree with you it does make life simpler and they work!
I’ve moved away from the burger press as I’ve discovered I like a ‘less pressed’ burger. I tend to mix the seasoning or spices in very loosely with a knife or fork and just push it very gently into a burger shape with the same knife, so it’s only just holding together. I like the texture of this sort of burger a lot better than the pressed type I used to make.
We're not as bad as some areas. The wind did wake me up Saturday & Sunday but the worst we had, was my neighbour & I had rather a lot of "tree" surrounding and under our cars. They had been pruning the trees and bushes in the residents parking area a few days before so, there was a lot of "loose" bits! Grandson just had an upset tummy. He's paid attention and is eating much better now.

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3, my grandparents lived with us when I was small as my Mum looked after them. We had a very large bag garden where grandpa grew all the fruit and vegetables we could possibly need and then some. The Berry crop then led to mass production of jam and jelly by my Mum and grandma (including blackcurrant!). Apart from the home industry he also bred many things. Lots of budgerigars (if the eggs didn't take, I would get a tiny fried egg) and champion Chow-chows (no we didn't eat them!).

Reactions: Pipp and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 6.7 FBG 6.9. Another switching day as Hubby was at the football, I was driving him there and back!

B. TAG and on return from school run, back bacon, 2 fried eggs and 4 santini tomatoes.
L Nothing
D. DD buffalo chicken with fried shredded cabbage and spicy mayo. Looks a bit "beige" by my standards.
20220201_183200.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and egg

2nd meal: about to have the remainder of the tagine from yesterday.

Em came back in on her way home from school, had her Lotus Biscoff ice cream, then a cup of tea, then an experimental sandwich - whole meal bread (unbuttered) marmite spread as thinly as she could on the soft bread and roasted peanuts scattered over the bread. As an experiment, it wasn't a great success and it wasn't a surprise when she left most of it on the plate. Then another cup of tea. Then home when her dad came to collect her (a mix-up about who was to take her home so he arrived in pyjamas and dressing gown to get her). I guess that's the state he was in when he rushed out to get the dogs as well.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7B61A724-53F7-4120-97FA-49E3F7227F81.jpeg
My concentrated monkfruit extract liquid arrived this morning so had a try out of making chocolate,orange, nut truffles using a bar of Montezumas 100% as the chocolate base however good news and bad...I was very very careful with the sweetner drops because of warnings about degree of sweetness which has meant that the truffles are not much sweeter than the actual bar! So thegood news is that all those remaining will be eventually heading my way! I’ve boxed and frozen 15 of them - OH had two and said they are nice but just not sweet enough for him ! I’ve got a couple in fridge for tomorrow. I like them but back to drawing board for other family members - think need to go up to 4 to 5 drops for amount of ingredients I used........ more trials needed!

Lunch two eggs scrambled in butter with one hm lc roll followed by yoghurt and a few raspberries and my sample of two truffles ( they work out at about 0.7 g per truffle)

Dinner venison meatballs in passatta and 10g of lc protein pasta with glass of red wine followed by LC blondie warmed and served with spoon of cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3, my grandparents lived with us when I was small as my Mum looked after them. We had a very large bag garden where grandpa grew all the fruit and vegetables we could possibly need and then some. The Berry crop then led to mass production of jam and jelly by my Mum and grandma (including blackcurrant!). Apart from the home industry he also bred many things. Lots of budgerigars (if the eggs didn't take, I would get a tiny fried egg) and champion Chow-chows (no we didn't eat them!).

I don’t know why I was gobsmacked to read you would be given a fried budgerigar egg to eat. No different to any birds egg I suppose, but I still had to read it twice!
I’m going to dream of Homemade black currant jam tonight.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: bacon and egg

2nd meal: about to have the remainder of the tagine from yesterday.

Em came back in on her way home from school, had her Lotus Biscoff ice cream, then a cup of tea, then an experimental sandwich - whole meal bread (unbuttered) marmite spread as thinly as she could on the soft bread and roasted peanuts scattered over the bread. As an experiment, it wasn't a great success and it wasn't a surprise when she left most of it on the plate. Then another cup of tea. Then home when her dad came to collect her (a mix-up about who was to take her home so he arrived in pyjamas and dressing gown to get her). I guess that's the state he was in when he rushed out to get the dogs as well.

The sandwich made me laugh it sounds like one of Letitia Cropley’s (from the vicar of Dibley)
That tagine is certainly serving you well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starting to think about finishing up the fresh supplies we got in this week, ready to go home on Friday. ( hope to goodness girls are negative by then, so far one is and is back to work but the other isnt)

B- sort of caprese omelette with mozzarella, cherry toms and spinach.
L- salad with lettuce, chicken, Hb egg, red pepper, cherry toms, St Agur blue creme instead of dressing. Also 1 small cracker I bought in a lovely cheese shop I found today ( also bought loads of cheese obviously) the cracker was made with spelt flour and half the weight was seeds. As each cracker was small I thought the amount of spelt flour wouldn’t cause too much damage - mistake. It did. Lesson learned.
D- 1/2 spatchcock chicken with galicky cavolo nero and green beans. Red wine.
@shelley262 those truffles look wonderful

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday
Breakfast Fage yogurt, black coffee
Late lunch: black coffee and a piece of brie
Dinner: minced beef, bolognaise style, but without pasta, topped with cheddar cheese.
Sugar free tonic water.

Wednesday
Breakfast: Coconut ‘porridge’ blueberries, black coffee
Lunch: just a decaff black coffee, followed by another one hour later
Dinner: Salmon, egg, brie, mayonnaise on small portion of salad, mineral water

Think I have caught up.
Future reports should read “ Did do better, tried, and succeeded.” ;):D

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my experiment of a late night snack did keep the hunger pangs at bay, but my fbg was higher than normal at 7.2.
Have been told that someone I spent a lot of time with on Monday, tested positive for covid yesterday :grumpy:. Let the watching and waiting begin:nurse:

Skipped breakfast
Day out at a museum for hubbys belated birthday treat.
Nothing on the cafe menu for me, luckily had taken cubes of cheese, olives and nuts so munched on them. A fair amount of walking.
D: more of yesterday's lamb and liver mince, baked with spicy tomato sauce on top. Green beans. 1 sq 85% and 1 glass red wine

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner: crispy cheese omelette with a few cherry tomatoes followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Still no cooking, the assembly of the new storage place is taking longer than expected. Something to do with the very simple thing not exactly fitting as it is, so I've adjusted what isn't meant to be adjusted, which always takes a lot of time. Especially if it involves finding the right length screws somewhere, then finding the right bit to go with them (didn't find it), more searching for different screws of the same length, searching for a non existant drill, finding an alternative way to make a hole, things like that.
With all my pots, pans, plates and mugs still occupying every usable surface in the kitchen, I wasn't going to chop vegetables or such.

So my main meal was bread again, this time with bacon and eggs. Not enough, really, I guess I'll make up with more midnight snacks than usual later tonight.

Last edited: