Drinks - Raised Sugar Levels

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have been told for a long time I don't drink enough water however the water here is very hard to to make it drinkable I add sugar free Squash/Cordial does anyone find that this raises their sugar levels at all?

Only asking as I have had to recently start to monitor my bloods and last night I went to bed I was 8.2 when I woke this morning and check I was 8.5 an the only thing I had consumed was approx half a pint of sugar free Squash/cordial.

Thanks in advance for you help with this.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't work like that - your liver can raise blood glucose levels to enable you to hunt down breakfast, it has nothing to do with eating or drinking.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi @MrBear2016
There are lots of things that can affect our levels, stress, poor nights sleep, exercise and something called the dawn phenomenon mentioned by Resurgam . The other thing to bear in mind is the accuracy of the glucose meters +/- 15% for 90% of tests.' so your 2 results of 8.5 and 8.2 are essentially the same

Reactions: MrBear2016

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I agree with all the other posts there are so many things that can raise our blood sugars , but I will say that only recently I have discovered that if I drink the cheaper supermarket brands sugar free drinks it does raise my blood sugar , I think you'll have to try a little bit of experimenting .

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had consumed was approx half a pint of sugar free Squash/cordial.

The No Added Sugar cordials still have carbs but even allowing for that you are using so little vs the water content that I doubt it amounts to much.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tap water in my district is revolting too. I drink fizzy bottled water and have found different brands differ in taste, but all are nice.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi All,

I have been told for a long time I don't drink enough water however the water here is very hard to to make it drinkable I add sugar free Squash/Cordial does anyone find that this raises their sugar levels at all?

Only asking as I have had to recently start to monitor my bloods and last night I went to bed I was 8.2 when I woke this morning and check I was 8.5 an the only thing I had consumed was approx half a pint of sugar free Squash/cordial.

Thanks in advance for you help with this.

Some of the 'no added sugar' drinks have some real fruit juice in them (I know Robinsons put a little in). As mentioned already though, early morning your liver starts to pump out glucose (and other things) to get you ready for the day ahead. Great for people with working/enough insulin, but not great for diabetics. It all depends on the person I guess.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t drink plain water either, I have tea, coffee or water with squash in.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think weak Robinsons should be ok, but out of the no sugar options available here, I noticed lemon is 0.3 carbs per 100ml, orange is 0.6 and apple blackcurrant is 1 point something, or thereabouts. I don't know if it makes a big difference but I go for the no added sugar lemon because of this. (Rather have blackcurrant though...)

finzi1966

I think weak Robinsons should be ok, but out of the no sugar options available here, I noticed lemon is 0.3 carbs per 100ml, orange is 0.6 and apple blackcurrant is 1 point something, or thereabouts. I don't know if it makes a big difference but I go for the no added sugar lemon because of this. (Rather have blackcurrant though...)

Is that per 100ml of the concentrate? Or of the made-up drink? If it’s of the made-up drink I could really see how that could mount up quick if you drink a lot! (If it’s of the concentrate then I guess it would be negligible)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Do you find drinking tea with milk effects your sugars at all as I'm a sucker for a builders brew
I wouldn’t know I’ve never tested after drinking tea!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is that per 100ml of the concentrate? Or of the made-up drink? If it’s of the made-up drink I could really see how that could mount up quick if you drink a lot! (If it’s of the concentrate then I guess it would be negligible)
Great question: it's the concentrate.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you find drinking tea with milk effects your sugars at all as I'm a sucker for a builders brew
Not enough milk in my tea to have a noticeable impact. However the amount of hot milk in a large latte does raise my BG as might be expected, given the lactose. I do wonder whether the folks reporting a BG rise after drinking coffee are actually experiencing a rise due to milk.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not enough milk in my tea to have a noticeable impact. However the amount of hot milk in a large latte does raise my BG as might be expected, given the lactose. I do wonder whether the folks reporting a BG rise after drinking coffee are actually experiencing a rise due to milk.
A latte has around 20g of carbs. It's not only the milk. Milk has around 5g per 100ml. Maybe there is sugar automatically put in, or something? Most popular lattes have sugar in

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A latte has around 20g of carbs. It's not only the milk. Milk has around 5g per 100ml. Maybe there is sugar automatically put in, or something? Most popular lattes have sugar in
Always a risk, but I'm sure there was no sugar in it. Made while I watched, just espresso and milk. If it had sugar, the reading would probably have been quite a bit higher.