What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Well. optimism that I would stay on track yesterday went out of the window! I was so good until we all went for coffee at Greggs. First mistake, a Latte. 2nd mistake, a cookie. 3rd mistake, oh what the heck, a doughnut. But I am so fortunate, it didn't put me up. So today, coffee with cream for bf. Airfried belly pork slices for dinner and scrambled egg for tea. Wish me luck!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ended up just fasting yesterday - couldn't be bothered making anything. In fact I slept most of the day and again pretty well all night until I made myself wake up at 5 am because my cleaner had put off coming to today and I wanted to have everything organised in time. She just phoned to say she's gone down with a horrible cold so she won't come today after all. So I can sleep some more if I need to.

Anyway, this morning I was fairly hungry so I had cheese on toast (wholemeal). Total grams of carb should be about 20. So no more carbs today for me!

Later I will make something with cauli rice and smoked mackerel. Possibly a kind of kedgeree. If I remember rightly, the original kedgeree was lentils and rice, not fish. But I will do it the more common way in this country and use fish as the protein element; maybe some hard boiled egg as well.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; low carb granola, low carb toast and butter, hm mocha
Lunch: 2 seeded flatbreads (0.4g each), salad, cream cheese, four slices of salami found lurking in fridge, Fibre one protein bar.
Dinner: roast chicken, carrots, green beans, broccoli, home made gravy, tiny roastie, usual berries and cream

Very snacky day....KIND protein bar (9.7g), pistachios and montezuma ginger chocolate (undisclosed amount). Still within my carb limit but feels like I'm eating all time today! My bread order arrived today - strange what you look forward to - together with a low carb pasta flour I'm going to try. I blame Masterchef, they are all making tortellini and even though I didn't eat 'normal' pasta pre diagnosis I feel the urge to eat some now and again. I'll let you now how it goes - it's 0.2g carbs per serving so a little better than the original stuff which comes in at 70g per 100g:arghh:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Later I will make something with cauli rice and smoked mackerel. Possibly a kind of kedgeree. If I remember rightly, the original kedgeree was lentils and rice, not fish. But I will do it the more common way in this country and use fish as the protein element; maybe some hard boiled egg as well.

Made and ate my "kedgeree" and it was very good, although I can't kid myself that the cauliflower is rice. The cauliflower wasn't massive but it was at least a 2 person portion. Not today - I devoured the whole thing including one fillet of smoked mackerel and 2 boiled eggs. It tasted a bit better because after ricing the cauliflower, I dried it off with kitchen paper, mixed it with a little olive oil, salt and spices and baked it for a while to dry it off. Then mixed it with the chopped up eggs and the flaked fish. Really, I guess, a pleasant cauli salad but not really kedgeree.

Unfortunately, all that cauliflower didn't fill me up so I am currently making ratatouille which I might have later today.

Just had a visit from Alistair, wife and Ginnie (the St Bernard). The dog had managed to get herself into a mess somehow and they can't get her into their shower. She doesn't like water and they can no longer lift her into their bath-cum-shower. Banksie, on the other hand, as soon as he sees water in the bath takes a flying leap into it! But then, he is supposed to enjoy water. Anyway, our shower is designed for wheelchair use, so it was just a question of pushing and pulling her into it. It took all their time and energy to do it. But now she's clean and fairly fragrant. This time it appears that the pregnancy has held so there should be pups in May sometime. They have already had lots of enquiries about buying the pups. I only hope they don't decide that they have to keep one of them - 4 big dogs in a tiny house! I do hope that Alistair cleaned up after them - haven't checked yet but I think he would have. Not sure that dog hair does well with our drainage system, but, if necessary the shower drain can come out and get cleared. Neil won't be very pleased at that!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid am a few spoons of hm yoghurts
Lunch s lc roll with one boiled egg - cooked two but granddog got one! Followed by a few berries and hm yoghurt
Mid pm four squares of 90% lindt
Dinner lamb loin with cauliflower mash and English asparagus with glass of dry red wine pudding lc lemon and lime blondie warmed with spoon of hm yoghurt.
Made a SLC order yesterday as good offer and was expecting a delivery tomorrow but got notified just that it had been returned as undeliverable - don’t know why but looks like it won’t be turning up tomorrow so quickly added a liv life lc loaf to my Waitrose delivery for tomorrow,
EDIT just had another text to say SLC have resent my order for delivery tomorrow so don’t know what result tomorrow will be but will cancel my liv life as I’m not as keen on it prefer the SLCbread says she crossing fingers madly!

Last edited:

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 13th)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): None
Lunch (12pm): Homemade instant pot chicken soup (minimal potatoes)
Snack (3pm): None
Dinner (9pm): Pork carnitas topped with cheese and salsa, some baked mushrooms stuffed with sausage
Evening Snack (10pm): Two low carb beers, small handful of peanuts

Walked 9.89km to bring my YTD total to 477.29km

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been awol for a few days, spent at my late parents’ house with my brother, sorting out 54 years of ‘life’! Quite stressful and emotional at times but managed to keep low carb and blood sugars stayed low amazingly, just had too many snacks, pork scratchings and dark chocolate primarily. Anyway back to my normal routine for a week or so now before returning to do more. So today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: salmon with lemon and dill sauce, Brussels and runner beans followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been awol for a few days, spent at my late parents’ house with my brother, sorting out 54 years of ‘life’! Quite stressful and emotional at times but managed to keep low carb and blood sugars stayed low amazingly, just had too many snacks, pork scratchings and dark chocolate primarily. Anyway back to my normal routine for a week or so now before returning to do more. So today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: salmon with lemon and dill sauce, Brussels and runner beans followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.
Oops that was not meant to be “ creative” sorry.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi so what happens if u get a little spike from the biscuits when in remission I really don’t understand this I’ve been told once diabetes u will always av it, but I don’t understand these treats honestly I’ve not had one im to scared I don’t understand it. I like to drink vodka n Pepsi max because I know that doesn’t effect me but I’d like to have a treat on my kids birthdays ext lol but I can’t bring my self to do it diabetes as scared the **** out of me im only 38 I want to stay reversed as long as I can xx
@Jayne1983 I don't eat things like biscuits very often. I don't have much will power and would be likely to eat the whole packet so don't have them in the house. I'm not currently testing all the time, just in the mornings and I didnt notice anything different yesterday, but today I've had a massive migraine. No idea if the 2 things are linked but I know to keep my average (my hba1c) down than I am best eating as low carb as possible most of the time, then when real life happens, like not being able to say no to those 2 biscuits, I just don't beat myself up about it but I make sure I stay being low carb the vast majority of the time. I do need to havea treat occasionally, but try to keep those treats low carb, eg very dark chocolate just a square or 2, or a small piece of homemade low carb cake which I keep in the freezer so I'm not able to eat more than 1 piece at a time.
I'm in remission but will always be diabetic, thats why ive had to find a way of eating that fits with my life and will last me for life.
Do you know how your hba1c is doing? Do you finger prick to see how certain foods affect you? We are all different and what works for one person may not work so well for someone else.
Enjoy a treat on the birthday, try to keep it small, and a one off. It's when treats become regular or everyday that the carbs mount up and wham, we are backatsquare one.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheesy scrambled eggs with chilli sauerkraut for breakfast.
Picnic lunch with granddaughters and Dennis ( (salami and cheese slices for me) DGF cake.
Dinner was an instant pot creation; a mince and cabbage kheema. Wine.
@Jayne1983 I agree with @Goonergal , it’s not so much the effect of the spike from a single ‘treat’ it’s the knock on addictive effect it might have. I think we all have our own weaknesses so it’s just a matter of recognising what yours is, and trying to avoid it. None of us are perfect and all we can do is take each day at a time, you’re doing really well.
@PenguinMum please post a photo of your sumptuous sounding Easter feast at the weekend.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slept 10 hours last night, very unusual for me usually 6-7
Knew I had a busy afternoon ahead so had a breakfast/brunch of 3 eggs and cheese omelette and coffee with cream
Exercise class among errands then went for a facial and some pampering, but that's when a migraine hit. Tried ignoring it and going on to do the supermarket shop but got the odd crazy idea that i needed food,even though i wasnt hungry , so, crazy idea towas to eat a bar of proper milk chocolate...why oh why oh why? Funnily it did help a bit in that i managed to do the shop and drive home
But then the pain came back and I've spent 3-4 hours in a dark room sleeping.
Finally it's clearing (as shown by the fact I can see the screen and read) so I've eaten a sausage left fro the boys tea.
Was definitely out of control of my body and brain . Not a nice day

Reactions: maglil55 and Tori71

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
@Jayne1983 I don't eat things like biscuits very often. I don't have much will power and would be likely to eat the whole packet so don't have them in the house. I'm not currently testing all the time, just in the mornings and I didnt notice anything different yesterday, but today I've had a massive migraine. No idea if the 2 things are linked but I know to keep my average (my hba1c) down than I am best eating as low carb as possible most of the time, then when real life happens, like not being able to say no to those 2 biscuits, I just don't beat myself up about it but I make sure I stay being low carb the vast majority of the time. I do need to havea treat occasionally, but try to keep those treats low carb, eg very dark chocolate just a square or 2, or a small piece of homemade low carb cake which I keep in the freezer so I'm not able to eat more than 1 piece at a time.
I'm in remission but will always be diabetic, thats why ive had to find a way of eating that fits with my life and will last me for life.
Do you know how your hba1c is doing? Do you finger prick to see how certain foods affect you? We are all different and what works for one person may not work so well for someone else.
Enjoy a treat on the birthday, try to keep it small, and a one off. It's when treats become regular or everyday that the carbs mount up and wham, we are backatsquare one.
Hi thanks for getting back to me. Yes I know how u feel small treats are good I do buy low carb bars n crisps ect, I think I would have a treat now on my kids birthdays but just a small one. I had a hbc1a of 54 March 2021 then June 36mm then nov 35mm and them March 2022 31mm my bloods r ok when I do test I normally eat the same foods x I do love crisps lol x I like to drink to vodka I’m 38 with 4 kids I’m very active I exercise every day for a hour or so xxx thanks for Getting bk to me xx

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, refried veggies, two slices low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
No smoko.
Red Roster whole chicken and veggies, gravy, lemon jelly / osmolax mix for lunch.
Two egg and cheese and chicken omelette for supper at six.

Just eating softish stuff at the moment to take some of the stress off my gut.

Reactions: maglil55

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 14th)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): None
Lunch (12pm): Homemade instant pot chicken soup (minimal potatoes), black coffee
Snack (3pm): Two hard boiled eggs
Dinner (9pm): Two grilled sausages and sparkling water
Evening Snack (10pm): Nothing

Walked 6.44km to bring my YTD total to 483.73km

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought chicken livers today.
I've never made chicken livers before, so I need to Google what to do with them to make a tasty meal.
Or I can ask you of course!
So give me all of your best chicken liver dishes please! :)

Reactions: Tori71 and valuator

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fry some mushrooms, either sliced or small chunks, in butter with some fairly small chopped onion and garlic. When almost done, add chopped (a bit bigger than the mushrooms) chicken livers and fry briefly. The don't take long to cook. Season with salt, pepper and if you like it some paprika or even chilli powder. Add cream, if you like a creamy sauce. If you can get some fresh parsley, chop fairly finely. Eat straight away.

Wish I could get chicken livers here - we used to but there haven't been any for more than a year now.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4F07A99D-DC96-4FF5-9BE9-553E07201D85.jpeg 0B50B317-59A5-415C-88BF-20D07BFBB4C8.jpeg C864FB07-9046-497B-A018-F9F5F1F56634.jpeg View attachment 54176 View attachment 54177 View attachment 54167 View attachment 54177 View attachment 54176 View attachment 54167 View attachment 54167
I bought chicken livers today.
I've never made chicken livers before, so I need to Google what to do with them to make a tasty meal.
Or I can ask you of course!
So give me all of your best chicken liver dishes please! :)
I always make pate with them. Chop them and then fry in a lump of butter until cooked through. I then add some dried onion and garlic granules and a few herbs plus a splash of red wine I then use a blender stick to produce soft pate. You could just serve chopped livers cooked in butter and use something like cream or brandy or red wine to make a quick sauce for dinner if don’t fancy pate.
My cooking today has been poaching some local forced rhubarb. I quarter a lemon and a ginger root and put on base of slow cooker with small amount of water.rhubarb gets balanced over lemon and ginger so takes on the flavours.when done I’ll put in large jar and use over week with yoghurt
Today so far hm yoghurt and berries and some salmon pate with a SLC roll.
Later salmon in lemon butter is planned with some English asparagus local like the rhubarb and cauliflower mash. Well fish is traditional on Good Friday so a very fishy menu.
Edit yay SLC bread and rolls turned up looking forward to trying their version 2 bread which is 0.6 carbs per slice and got poached rhubarb into its jar will be kept chilled to add to yoghurt this week.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Made a new batch of chocolaty nut squares yesterday, put them in bags in the freezer. Very spicy this time (last batch was a bit bland), good kick of chilli powder, and a strong ginger and clove flavour as well, I think these are the best I've ever made so far! :hungry:

Which is a good thing too, I weighed the bags before putting them in the freezer and it turns out I have a whopping 1.8 kg of them. :wideyed:
If I calculated correctly they are about 8.3 gr carbs per 100 gr. :)

278640457_10225387262222856_4219427754895378423_n.jpg