What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ended up just fasting yesterday - couldn't be bothered making anything. In fact I slept most of the day and again pretty well all night until I made myself wake up at 5 am because my cleaner had put off coming to today and I wanted to have everything organised in time. She just phoned to say she's gone down with a horrible cold so she won't come today after all. So I can sleep some more if I need to.

Anyway, this morning I was fairly hungry so I had cheese on toast (wholemeal). Total grams of carb should be about 20. So no more carbs today for me!

Later I will make something with cauli rice and smoked mackerel. Possibly a kind of kedgeree. If I remember rightly, the original kedgeree was lentils and rice, not fish. But I will do it the more common way in this country and use fish as the protein element; maybe some hard boiled egg as well.
I haven't made kedgeree for ages and it works well with cauliflower rice. I put boiled egg through mine too. The trouble is that it makes me think of coulibiac, and I love love love coulibiac! Until I find a LC pastry mix that is edible, however, coulibiac is off the menu.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still catching up! Monday 11 April bed 6.8 FBG 7.7

B. TAG and 2 slices of back bacon, 1 slice GF Black pudding, fried egg and santini tomatoes. 1 slice of SLC toast with butter.

L Nothing

D. Using up cold cuts. Slice each of wafer thin chicken, roast beef, pork, ox tongue, coronation chicken, mortadella, these tiny German sausage pieces and coleslaw.
Strawberries & blackberries with cream.

Tuesday 12 April bed 9.2 FBG 8.2 - just hoping I'm not going to be hit with another bug!

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.

L Nothing

D. 2 GF sausages, 1 GF Black pudding, fried egg and santini tomatoes.

I seem to have hit another can't be bothered cooking/ Nothing appeals to me phase!

Wednesday 13 April BGs reverted to a lower level Bed 7.9 FBG 6.8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.

L. Nothing

D. 2 poached salmon fillets, 1/2 avocado, santini tomatoes, whipped cheese and a pack of M&S Pancetta crisps.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday 14 April bed 7.9 FBG 6.8

@Goonergal - much as I enjoyed the travelling when I was working, I don't miss it now. Especially, when I was away 3 or 4 days a week. The lifts out immediately put a number of memories in my head. I was evacuated so often from hotels, it got to the stage my colleagues preferred not to travel with me. They reckoned I was cursed. In the midst of all the fire evacuations I also had 2 bomb scares. One in Manchester and one in Leeds.

B. TAG and 4 M&S Wheaten crackers with whipped cheese.

L. Nothing

D. 6 chicken wings which were very hot! Overdid the hot paprika. Mayo and coconut milk to cool the mouth. It was a jujitsu evening so didn't really want much when I got home.

Friday 15 April - bed and FBG both 6 8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese

L. Nothing

D. I'm turning into @Goonergal I think. A carnivorous meal of 4 double loin lamb chops (air fried) with mint sauce. Remains of coconut milk from yesterday.

Later, one if the mini Dark raspberry bars from Lidl. (@MrsA2 - just the Hazelnut and the milk chocolate ones remain in my Lidl stores so I can't buy any more until next time. Thus was only my 3rd mini bar so I do still have lots left.)

This was a chaotic day. DIL, both boys, hubby and myself all getting hair cut etc at ours. The mini whirlwind was here too. For something with such little legs he is very fast and likes to play chasing!
20220415_193202.jpg
facebook_1644870679217_6899087669324997193.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
Mid morning: 1 cold bratwurst
L: 30g cheddar with 4 cocktail sausages and some olives. 1 nut bar
Bought a whole salmon and filleted it to give a generous side for tonight, 6 large portions for the freezer, a bowl of good bits for human consumption, a bowl of skin and bits for the cats
D: Salmon which had been marinated with a topping of spices ( ground mustard seeds, paprika and garlic in yoghurt) while we popped to the pub for an outside drink in the sun. 1 glass of wine, roast peppers, celery slow cooked in tomato, broccoli. 1 small scoop ice cream.

Some salmon left for tomorrow, I do like cold salmon

Seem to be streaming with a cold, which might explain the bad day yesterday. Hoping its not covid as have to test negative on Wednesday to go on holiday ..

Love the choc nut square @Antje77 . Did you just use 100g chocolate and an awful lot of nuts to get over 1kg total?
Can't help with chicken livers. Have tried them 3 times since going lc and just can't get on with them, or only as small bit of pate but it make so much.
There's a very nasty "super cold" doing the rounds. I know, I've had it (preceded by Norovirus!). You may be "lucky" and it will be the super cold - nasty but you should be improving by Wednesday

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 I missed your original post re chicken livers but flash fried in butter is the best in my book. Definitely don’t overcook or reheat.
Pate is a good choice too

@maglil55 I can’t remember where to get lakanto golden monkfruit from. I know you’ve told me before, Every UK site I’ve tried has sold out. My daughter annoyingly used all mine while I was away a few weeks ago, she thought it was the sweetener I don’t like ( which is pure erythritol)
There's an issue getting Lakanto Monk Fruit currently in the UK. It is some kind of hang over from EU approval rules. It was supposed to be reapproved 2020 but then a certain pandemic got in the way. I had to get my last batch brought over from the USA It's on sale in Australia too but they've been unable to travel for a while. I always got mine from mydietshop before these issues started.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 I missed your original post re chicken livers but flash fried in butter is the best in my book. Definitely don’t overcook or reheat.
Pate is a good choice too

@maglil55 I can’t remember where to get lakanto golden monkfruit from. I know you’ve told me before, Every UK site I’ve tried has sold out. My daughter annoyingly used all mine while I was away a few weeks ago, she thought it was the sweetener I don’t like ( which is pure erythritol)
I also found this site too. Like LuckyVitamins they are based in Calfornia. They do say they have new low cost shipping rates to the UK but you also have to watch for tax on incoming goods. That has to be paid once you get notification before the courier can deliver. @shelley262 did you get a request to pay tax before you got your liquid Lakanto from lucky vitamins?

https://www.allstarhealth.com/en-gb...6yd52tmFVNUji2pnMU351ioDYR9Aao6RoCeKUQAvD_BwE

They do appear to have Golden in stock.

Correction @Goonergal was lucky vitamin not @shelley262 (although I suspect that was from the USA too).

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pretty poorly here. Thinks it's covid. Will test tomorrow. Means our holiday due to start Wednesday is very probably off

Boys are waiting on me in bed so lunchtime had yoghurt seeds and blueberries
Mid afternoon a piece lc cake
Supper was 2 scrambled eggs with 2 rashers bacon, and 2, yes 2 scoops icecream
Drinking a full cup of herbal tea every hour, Vicks on chest, tissues every five minutes

Both cats have decided my bed is the place to be, so there's 3 of us up here
Like the food - not the bug (at least I hope it's a bug - not Covid) xx

Reactions: MrsA2

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had 1st meal about 11.30. It was some more of the ratatouille with a couple of fried eggs on top. Still have another serving of the ratatouille to use. Might add some peas and some kind of meat (chicken possibly) to make a kind of minestrone (without the pasta) for tomorrow.

I thought I had some gammon steaks in the freezer but searched for it last night and couldn't find it, but I did find a pre-baked chunk of gammon and it's defrosting ready for my 2nd meal today of gammon and courgette in mustard sauce with some quickly cooked cabbage in butter.

The reason I was looking for ways of cooking courgettes was that I asked Neil to buy me one moderately sized courgette but all he could get was a pack of 3 very large courgettes, so I'm looking for ways to use them up before they go off. Still have one to use so am trying to invent something for that and am thinking in terms of something layered with onion, tomato and another vegetable, the name of which escapes me at the moment (it's white, turnippy kind of thing - not kohl rabi, often used instead of potato). You know the one I mean. My memory often fails me this way - worse these days than it used to be, but I've always had problems this way.

Just looked it up - celeriac!
Courgetti carbonara! Means spiralling the courgette.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also found this site too. Like LuckyVitamins they are based in Calfornia. They do say they have new low cost shipping rates to the UK but you also have to watch for tax on incoming goods. That has to be paid once you get notification before the courier can deliver. @shelley262 did you get a request to pay tax before you got your liquid Lakanto from lucky vitamins?

https://www.allstarhealth.com/en-gb...6yd52tmFVNUji2pnMU351ioDYR9Aao6RoCeKUQAvD_BwE

They do appear to have Golden in stock.

Correction @Goonergal was lucky vitamin not @shelley262 (although I suspect that was from the USA too).
Hiya I got it from U.K. company
https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/collections/food-products
But note that seems to be no longer available so they must have sold out! Monkfruit clearly a U.K. shortage had I realised I’d have bought several as I really like the liquid version just a few drops needed for things like my stewed rhubarb. Luckily a few drops go a long way -hoping will become available again by time need more. Mind you I’m happy too with a small amount of powdered eyrithritol so would sub monkfruit with this if needed
@Rachox and @MrsA2 hugs for your illnesses.
I had shingles 6 years ago @Rachox at a very emotionally stressful time of my life do take care of yourself it’s very painful and debilitating,
@MrsA2 hope you manage to get away on holiday.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsA2 and maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feel better soon @MrsA2 and @Rachox

@Goonergal - much as I enjoyed the travelling when I was working, I don't miss it now. Especially, when I was away 3 or 4 days a week. The lifts out immediately put a number of memories in my head. I was evacuated so often from hotels, it got to the stage my colleagues preferred not to travel with me. They reckoned I was cursed. In the midst of all the fire evacuations I also had 2 bomb scares. One in Manchester and one in Leeds.
I hear you! Most of my work related travel was long-haul, and while I enjoyed much of it, my long-haul travel for leisure dipped in proportion to the work travel. No evacuations but I do boast a month stay in a hotel in Ghana where I shared the room with a mouse. The hotel staff were not convinced, but a few weeks after returning home, I had a message passed on by a colleague based out there to ‘tell Miss Goonergal we’ve found her mouse’!

D. I'm turning into @Goonergal I think. A carnivorous meal of 4 double loin lamb chops (air fried) with mint sauce.
Yum! But hold the mint sauce for my portion.

Haven’t posted for a couple of days.

Still away and hotel breakfast each day is a 3 egg omelette with ham, onion and cheese with a side of bacon. The ‘side’ seems to be getting larger :D

Dinner yesterday was a large beef gymbox from German Doner Kebab. Followed by extra thick double cream, almond butter and Lindt 90% in my room.

Today was lemon pepper wings from Wing Stop, with the same dessert back at the hotel.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't made kedgeree for ages and it works well with cauliflower rice. I put boiled egg through mine too. The trouble is that it makes me think of coulibiac, and I love love love coulibiac! Until I find a LC pastry mix that is edible, however, coulibiac is off the menu.[/QUOTE
Had to Google that one. A bit like salmon Wellington? Oh the memories.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still feeling grotty, but not quite as much as yesterday.
Stayed in bed most of the day.
Had one hot cross bun and ff greek and seeds and blueberries for breakfast
L: cold salmon and salad. 1 piece hm lc choc cake with cream
D: very slow cooked lamb. Son had put it in at 10. I thought he had forgotten as I couldn't smell it cooking, but apparently everyone else could, even the neighbours!
Served with slow cooked whole celeriac and whole swede. Few carrots and gravy. Lots left for a wonderful sheperds pie tomorrow .
1 scoop ice cream
Looking back at food for today have had way too many carbs and sweet things which I couldn't even really taste. Needed to comfort myself think.

Thanks for all the good wishes, lovely people

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 16 April bed 6.7 FBG 6.5

Busy day Hubby had to be convinced nit to go to football. He was recovering from a bug and was still wobbly. He saw sense and was fine at home. Usual trip to jujitsu then took youngest grandson with me to visit my SIL, niece, her hubby and little girl. I haven't been able to visit for a few weeks due to my "bugs".

B. TAG and 1 M&S Wheaten cracker with salmon pate (no time for anything else)

L. 2 cups of black tea a SILs
Much later when I got home SLC bread sandwich with whipped cheese and ox tongue.

D. Rack of pork ribs (overdid paprika again) with coleslaw.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; l/c granola and toast with butter, mocha
Lunch: asparagus and cheese wrapped in proscuitto then fried in butter. protein bar
Dinner: Bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomato, low carb roll, berries and cream, a few squares of green and blacks ginger chocolate

May try making the low carb pasta tomorrow:rolleyes:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: Brie and cranberry sandwiches with coleslaw followed by DGF ginger cake and cream.
Comfort eating today was Cheesies!

Hugs @Rachox for shingles, I’m sure it’s more than ‘uncomfortable’ I hope it clears up soon.

Yes you are right the shingles are more than ‘uncomfortable’, however if I said what I really think I’ll fall foul of forum language censorship!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another tired day after losing sleep but took our youngest sons dog back today so crossing fingers sleep will go back to normal. Mind you had a laughing session during the night when woken by a dreadful noise and worried about OH that he was breathing so heavily and making very weird scary noises I checked him and was told no that wasn’t him it must have been the dog!
Breakfast unusual for me but needed something before went out had scrambled eggs on slice of my new SLC toast - at 0.6 g of carb I was impressed and also did like the taste of the new V2 loaf.
Lunch SLC sandwich 2 slices with ham and cheese with mustard and an Easter treat of four squares of 90% chocolate
Mid pm hm yoghurt and poached yoghurt
Dinner roast chicken dinner with asparagus cauliflower mash and a few carrots with glass of dry white wine followed by lc chocolate brownie warmed and served with hm yoghurt.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: Brie and cranberry sandwiches with coleslaw followed by DGF ginger cake and cream.
Comfort eating today was Cheesies!

Yes you are right the shingles are more than ‘uncomfortable’, however if I said what I really think I’ll fall foul of forum language censorship!

Winner for being restrained in your language! I do hope it clears up soon.
I found a whole drawer of Cheesies earlier in the week. I’d totally forgotten I’d put them away. They won’t last long now I’ve found them of course.

Reactions: Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's an issue getting Lakanto Monk Fruit currently in the UK. It is some kind of hang over from EU approval rules. It was supposed to be reapproved 2020 but then a certain pandemic got in the way. I had to get my last batch brought over from the USA It's on sale in Australia too but they've been unable to travel for a while. I always got mine from mydietshop before these issues started.

Thank you. I had a feeling it was mydietshop. I’ll keep checking back. I just had a craving for those instant pot creme brûlées but the golden monkfruit is the only sweetener I like in them.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast of ham and eggs. Lots of black coffee
Lunch -chocolate! A substantial chunk of my Hotel Chocolate 100% cocoa egg with fruit and nuts in. I’ve hidden the rest away from myself in my wardrobe.
Dinner - very slow roast lamb shoulder. Garlicky cavolo nero, puréed swede, cauli cheese, roast broccoli. Couple of glasses of wine.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55