What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definitely be trying half of that egg, i would check my bloods 2hrs later just not tell anyone :)

It was quite hard to stop going back and breaking bits off it. I didn’t check at 2 hrs but I’ve had this egg before and it doesn’t cause too much reaction thank goodness.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: ham and eggs, swiftly followed by a stress induced DGF brownie. Annoyed at myself.
Nothing then until about 4:30 by which time I was v hungry so ate without structured meal plan- Brie, a bit of cold lamb, DGF cookie ( still frozen) plus something else I’m sure but can’t remember what.
Dinner- 1/2 portion DD tuna casserole ( not really hungry by this time) glass of dry white wine and soda.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes for breakfast.
Hot ✓ spicy buns, lemon / lime cordial with osmolax for smoko.
Oyster blade steaks, green veggies, butter mushroom gravy for lunch.
Cheese and onion toasted sandwiches for supper at six.

Ate the rest of the easter bunny watching Prime.

IrishAyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I googled "pizza bowl", and it gave me the idea of making some fusion dishes, such as pizza meets lasagna meets quiche meets omelette. I'll do it first in the microwave, and then finish under the broiler for a cheesy crust!
Do share your results!!!??

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Didn’t get to post yesterday’s full menu.

Usual hotel brekkie of 3 egg omelette and generous side of bacon.

Spent the day with a friend, including a park/canal walk that pedometer said was around 6.5 miles, but which felt a lot quicker/shorter than that. Perhaps due to the company.

Was ravenous by dinner time. We settled on Five Guys where I had a bunless bacon cheeseburger with an extra patty and grilled onions. Was still hungry so decamped to Wing Stop over the road for small portion of lemon pepper wings. Then had extra thick double cream and Lindt 90% back at the hotel.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 18th)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): None
Lunch (12pm): Deli chicken and cheddar cheese rollups, 0% Greek yogurt with keto granola and blueberries
Snack (3pm): None
Dinner (8pm): Gilled pork rib chops with sauteed mushrooms and onions
Evening Snack (10pm): Two low carb beers

Walked 6.44km to bring my YTD total to 509.65km

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not going to tell you what breakfast was, but it was fairly carby and has had the expected effect despite maximum insulin beforehand. I'll keep an eye on BG and, if it doesn't drop, I'll probably need to take a correction dose this afternoon.

If I have a second meal it will be some duck that I took out of the freezer. Will probably have that with some pickled red cabbage.

The courgette in mustard sauce, by the way, tasted fine, but was very rich. I reheated some to have with gammon last evening but couldn't finish it. It would probably be better cold and served as a kind of relish with meat or fish - a bit like piccalilli, but not vinegary.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased to report the Hotel Chocolat 100% eggs are 50% off at £7.50 - at least in the Birmingham branch!

Limited myself to one from the pile of 6 or so!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@shelley262, can I ask how you make your sauerkraut? And, would the same thing work with red cabbage. I pickle vegetables including red cabbage, but I would prefer less vinegar and think that fermenting vegetables would be a better way to go and really do not like shop bought sauerkraut because of the herbs that are included. Also, I'd like to try my hand at fermenting other veg.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not going to tell you what breakfast was, but it was fairly carby and has had the expected effect despite maximum insulin beforehand. I'll keep an eye on BG and, if it doesn't drop, I'll probably need to take a correction dose this afternoon.

Took a correction dose of insulin a couple of hours ago and BG is now down to 7.9, I'm glad to say. I am hungry today so there will be a send meal in the offing - duck breast and red cabbage pickle. That should be OK for BG. Possibly less good for calories.

I was checking out some meal replacement products (shakes and complete meals) but they all seem to have something in them that I can't eat, so I guess that's not a direction to go in to try to get rid of all this weight.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262, can I ask how you make your sauerkraut? And, would the same thing work with red cabbage. I pickle vegetables including red cabbage, but I would prefer less vinegar and think that fermenting vegetables would be a better way to go and really do not like shop bought sauerkraut because of the herbs that are included. Also, I'd like to try my hand at fermenting other veg.
https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/red-cabbage-sauerkraut/
Try this one it’s quite visual to follow. It’s basically red cabbage,salt and filtered or distilled water. I use mason jars with a glass weight but you can use other jars such as kilner.i bought a pack with the seals that burp to allow gas to escape in early days and glass weights for mason jars but not sure it is necessary.important bits are to make sure cabbage is prepared well and really mixed with the salt plus you can use a whole cabbage leaf to push the fermenting cabbage under the salted water and to keep it submerged instead of glass weight.if you don’t you can develop a yeast mould on top. Did some a couple of months ago and last jar still in fridge and still tasting great no mould.i love the lack of vinegar taste and it also stays quite crunchy too,
Edit I didn’t add any peppercorns just cabbage,salt and distilled water I’ve since done some with beetroot,turmeric and red cabbage same principle but grate the raw beetroot and turmeric root.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a slower day today as busy week ahead - so took it steadier while I could! Also got two lots of yoghurt fermenting.they take about 36 hours so need to plan ahead before run out!
Mid am a few spoons of my hm yoghurts with a few fermented berries
Lunch two boiled eggs with two slices of the new SLC loaf toasted and buttered - it’s 0.6 g of carb per slice and I’ve developed a liking for it I didn’t like the first version.luckily got an offer just before Easter so a fair few now in my freezer. Pudding - a spoon of stewed rhubarb and hm yoghurt and four squares of 100% chocolate with mint oil ( this goes well with peppermint tea!)
Mid pm unplanned try of a new nut bar from keto collective - bought a pack to take away that arrived today but somehow had to try one of the new bars! Enjoyed it though and fairly simple ingredients for a processed keto bar.
Dinner venison steak wrapped in pancetta fried in olive oil and butter then rested while cooked field mushrooms and local asparagus delicious served with glass of red wine followed by lc blondie.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pleased to report the Hotel Chocolat 100% eggs are 50% off at £7.50 - at least in the Birmingham branch!

Limited myself to one from the pile of 6 or so!
I discovered I hadn't completed my purchase. Now definitely ordered one for £7.50 plus I ordered 2 lots of the dark pralines which were also half price at £2.25 (they will have to be eeked out more carefully). They won't arrive on click & collect until 26 April. Added a pack of batons too but the 100% had no reduction.

Reactions: Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday 17 April bed 6.9 FBG 5 6

B. TAG and much later 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. The sandwich was almost lunch!

D. IP steak & kidney with mushrooms, lots of Brussels and 2 small Hasselback potatoes.
Usual campari and soda beforehand.

Monday 18 April - bed 7 4 FBG 7 2.

Had eldest grandson most of the day They were all going to see the latest Sonic movie but he decided it wasn't for him so he came with me instead.

B. TAG

L. 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and coleslaw again.

D. Tried out the Palmini angel hair pasta (which is made from hearts of palm) and turned it into carbonara. They say 3 portions - no way, 2 portions. What I've shown is the whole packet (which Hubby tipped in by mistake). That is too much as it is very filling. It's not pasta but the taste is fine. It's not as "wet" as courgette zoodles which is good. It does require a good cold wash before using It's a satisfactory substitute but then I like heart of palm.

DGF lemon drizzle with raspberries and a spoonful of clotted cream.

20220418_183427.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/red-cabbage-sauerkraut/
Try this one it’s quite visual to follow. It’s basically red cabbage,salt and filtered or distilled water. I use mason jars with a glass weight but you can use other jars such as kilner.i bought a pack with the seals that burp to allow gas to escape in early days and glass weights for mason jars but not sure it is necessary.important bits are to make sure cabbage is prepared well and really mixed with the salt plus you can use a whole cabbage leaf to push the fermenting cabbage under the salted water and to keep it submerged instead of glass weight.if you don’t you can develop a yeast mould on top. Did some a couple of months ago and last jar still in fridge and still tasting great no mould.i love the lack of vinegar taste and it also stays quite crunchy too,
Edit I didn’t add any peppercorns just cabbage,salt and distilled water I’ve since done some with beetroot,turmeric and red cabbage same principle but grate the raw beetroot and turmeric root.

Thanks for your speedy reply @shelley262, I'll get hold of materials and a red cabbage and have a go at this.

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and and Atkins bar.
Dinner: lamb roasted with garlic and Rosemary with Brussels, cauliflower and brocolli and a splash of gravy followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.
Then probably too much of my dark chocolate and sea salt egg, but I’ll just blame any higher than normal blood sugars on my shingles!